Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It's gonna be like 20+ years before David Johnson is too expensive to keep, right?

Let's see, he's currently $8.

$8, $9, $10, $11, $12, $13, $14, $15, $17, $19, $21, $23, $25, $28, $31, $33, $36, $40, $44, $48, $53, $58, $64, $70, $77, $85, $94...

Yup. $48 in 20 years.

Do you guys think +10% a year is too low? The trouble is, higher than that and the players who start at like $30 are only keepable for a couple years at most.

The current system massively rewards identifying and successfully grabbing a future hall-of-famer before they become big. It also suggests that we're collectively severely underbidding on "lottery ticket" players. Sure, most won't work out... so you drop them, and use more of your FAAB budget, but most of us have plenty of that left. Occasionally one will make it big, and if we let another team get that guy for four dollars, they've got a lock on a big player for their entire career.

e. One thing would be to raise the "minimum raise" to two or three dollars, or use a geometric progression.

E.g., something like "first year kept: salary +10%, minimum $1. Second year: salary +10%, minimum $3. Third year: salary +10%, minimum $6. Fourth year: salary +10%, minimum $10. etc..."

Another thing many dynasty leagues do is put a maximum age on a contract. E.g., you can only keep someone for up to four or five years, and then have to drop them. Traded players keep their contracts. This would basically force some churn into the league, starting in a couple years, so we don't get dynasty teams with a lucky three cheap superstars permanently rostered.

You can even let someone slap a "franchise tag" on one and only one player, to keep them past their normal contract. Perhaps at an added cost.

All this is adding complexity of course, and maybe fishing for solutions to problems we don't have yet. Just musing it over today.

I think we need to ride out at least one more year before changing it. It's all going to start adding up in a year or two. Having high paid players and getting rookies every year is going to force people to make some tough choices. Even if we did raise it to 20% whoever has David Johnson isn't dropping him. He got a really good grab, but we can't go and change everything based on an individual player (regardless of who it is). Most people seem to be around the $200 mark and once you include the 10% and next years rookies things get tight right there. The following year people are definitely going to have to start dropping either star players or a bunch of average guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I didn't mean to just pick on that one guy, it's just the one player that immediately came to mind. You can see other ones in the league as well. Derek Carr is $4, Big Ben is $8, Jay Ajayi is $4, Matt Ryan is $1, Bernardrick McKinny is $1, Kwon Alexander is $2, and there's more that will emerge. Maybe Tyreek Hill, who is $1. Probably one or two of the cheaper rookies being held right now.

It'd be bad to punish people for cleverly getting good players at a discount, that's a major portion of the skill of fantasy football. Just trying to think ahead.

e. Jesus, Landon Collins is $2, and he has 224.5 points on the season. That puts him at #13 overall, and a similar bargain to Kirk Cousins, who is 9th overall in points for a $2 salary.

Matt Ryan is still the best deal in our league, arguably, although Johnson is much younger so his low salary may last longer, and arguably he's less likely to regress next year than Ryan.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 9, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Funny part is Landon Collins was total trash last year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had Matt Ryan last year and could have kept him for $10. I needed cap space, but I kept Jeremy Maclin for $17 and look how that decision turned out.

Instead I wound up trading Randall Cobb for Eli Manning just so I'd have a QB I could sometimes start instead of Andy Dalton, and look how that decision turned out. I might as well have flipped a drat coin.

Basically what I'm saying is, I made really bad decisions.

e. Actually the one really good decision I've made all year, I think, was keeping Jalen Richard. Watching him run last night, he's just plain better than Latavius Murray, and the kid has a big future unless he gets hurt.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Especially because I offered Ryan or eli for Cobb!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

Here's what salaries look like over time for various draft positions

Since salary mechanics are being discussed I'm gonna quote this graph back in. Anybody good you get outside of the first few picks is pretty much a starter for life

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
This might be a terrible idea.

For players drafted as rookies we could have a salary scale that can increase based on performance. We'd need to set thresholds and what to jump their salary to, but it's something that could be used to keep "life long star players". It's basically how contracts work in real sports, if a young player does really well their next contract is going to be significantly more expensive than the rookie one was.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, typically very early draft picks in real life get a decent rookie contract that might last I think three years, typically? And then their owning teams will try to re-sign them, often before that contract runs out, if they turned out great. Tons of guys of course wash out and never make it past training camp, or their first year.

If we wanted to we could set up contract lengths. MFL explicitly supports it. Salary can be set (including with an escalating number) but then when the contract runs out, you have to drop the player and "renegotiate" (represented by FAAB). Alternatively, you could have the currently-owning team get first crack at a renegotiated salary... say, by automatically having a new contract to re-sign a rookie be at least $X, where X is some substantial but not bank-breaking number.

Like I said earlier, you can really go down a rabbit hole with this stuff. It's more realistic, and forces owners to pick between their star players rather than effectively getting to keep all of them, but it also adds layers of complexity that don't necessarily appeal to everyone.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Saturday 3:15pm: Kiko Alonso out.

Welp. Cant set a full lineup, dont yell at me.

Edit: Huh, apparently he had thumb surgery. How the hell did I miss that this entire week?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 11, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, that's exactly my point, if you have a guy who is Q all week, it's on you to at least roster a startable backup. I did that all season and it cost me roster slots I could have used to keep long-term flyers. I realize other owners have had to deal with more injuries than me, but I certainly had plenty of injured Q players to cope with.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I straight up didnt notice all week that he broke his thumb. That one is completely on me.

Not a huge deal, its not the championship match.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Of course I missed the wildcard match the week Bell puts up fifty points.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am pretty good at picking the wrong WRs every week.

"Davante Adams and anyone" and then the bench guys all put up 15.
"Davante Adams and the other guys" and the bench guys put up 15.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I don't even want to look at how the dudes I sat did. Apparently Dak was not the truth last night.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I feel pretty good about my chances next week with either matchup, which means I'm going to get blown out by 50 points

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang, Dixon looked good. Really wishing I'd kept him.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy waivers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've just set the consolation bracket.

Since the Hawk Hunters are the lowest-seeded team that won in week 15, that's the team I'm playing this week. Meanwhile, congrats to Team McLean for advancing to the semifinals!

There are now four eliminated teams: the Second Round Kickers, I'm Pretty Garbage At This, Who Da Titoons, and First Down Syndrome.

Do you guys want me to set up matches for your teams? They'd be meaningless - the points scored don't count towards anything, including next year's draft, tiebreakers, etc., but it'd give you something to do.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Nah I have other leagues where I've been eliminated to busy myself with. Rather not make anymore pointless waiver add/drops.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Doesn't matter to me.

I guess it'd be something to do, I can swear at my lineup and hate my drafting skills again.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Spermy Smurf posted:

Holy waivers.

Makes my $5 claim for a NYJ receiver seem reasonable

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you have the cap space and don't intend to hold the guy through to next year, it makes sense to bid a big pile of whatever FAAB cash you have left for any player that is startable. Especially if you're in single-elimination playoffs, playing for a significant real-money payout.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just a reminder, there's a game tonight! Set your rosters.

Also, check your IRs. Hawk Hunters and Titoons both have activated guys on IR! Of course the Titoons are on bye, but the Hunters need to get Adrian Peterson off the IR slot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hawk Hunters has both cap space and roster space for Adrian Petersen, so I'm just gonna move him manually.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
damnit why didn't I start Derrick Henry? He's such a loving beast. I wish I could've guessed the Titans would be using him this much today but even as a Titans fan I wouldn't have predicted it.

at least I got him for next year. I think he's better than Zeke.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I may have left too many points on my bench between Russell Wilson and Derrick Henry to salvage this one

I guess my only hope is that the Broncos defense does to Brady what they did to Mariota last week

e: gently caress tim hightower for getting carries over Ingram

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 19, 2016

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
of course brandin cooks had the game of his life today

of course he did

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Shady played like poo poo though.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Cooks be cookin'.

I wasn't very excited about McCoys meaningless stats game either.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
OK so I actively chose to play SSS over Hightower at a loss of about 7 pts - don't regret it a second.

Starting Justin Houston when all reports I saw gave him a go-ahead for today and then he goes and tosses up a goose egg because of I guess not playing? When I had Zach Brown there to fill in without issue and he tosses up 18+? gently caress meeeeeeeee.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I had to make a tough decision about Sean Lee today. He was listed as Questionable and unknown if he would start, and since he was playing in the night game, I couldn't wait to see if maybe he'd start or not, I had to swap him out.

So I got 6.75 from TJ Ward instead of 14.75 from Sean Lee. Those eight points might come back to haunt me: I'm down 24 points with just Greg Olsen left, and he could potentially have a 16+ point game, maybe.

I also dropped Brandon Graham for Everson Griffen, which looks like it cost me 8 points because sure, Griffen, why not regress horribly against the Colts?

If Olsen puts up 8+ tomorrow night, then I sank my shot at the consolation championship entirely due to avoidable bad decisions. :shrug: welp

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Rob Kelley, I need 22.47 points from you tonight...you can do it!

We both left a bunch of points on the bench so I can't be too mad. I'll be pissed if Kelvin Benjamin goes off tonight though

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I had to make a tough decision about Sean Lee today. He was listed as Questionable and unknown if he would start, and since he was playing in the night game, I couldn't wait to see if maybe he'd start or not, I had to swap him out.

Leperflesh posted:

I also feel bad and dumb about sitting Lee in favor of starting T.J. Ward. You always start Sean Lee; that's the rule and I broke it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/view_news_article?L=79286&ID=345146RotoWire

quote:

(RotoWire) Lee (knee) is questionable for Sunday's tilt with the Buccaneers.

Analysis: Lee recorded a season-high 18 tackles in Sunday's loss to the Giants but has been dealing with an undisclosed knee aliment since the contest, forcing him to practice in a limited capacity throughout the week. Look for a decision to be made before kickoff, with Justin Durant likely to start should Lee be ruled out.

Basically, the Cowboys decided to be coy with Lee's injury status. What can you do? I was risking a zero if he didn't play, and there was no more information than what you see right there. My only option was to have rostered another LB that was playing Sunday night or Monday, but I was hoping we'd get an update on Lee's status on Saturday. I didn't see a practice report, though.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I probably would have done the same thing. It is funny you said the same thing like 3 weeks ago about Sean Lee, that's all.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
But drat did Lee look good. I wonder if part of this unkown is because of the injury report changes, or because the media don't follow the defensive players as much because they're typically not associated with fantasy football.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's the latter. I'm subscribed to a couple of twitter accounts and watch Rotoworld, but you often just don't get anyone bothering to mention which of the Questionable defense players are practicing at each practice, and how they look. A lot of times, coaches or players get interviewed about their status, too... but the media doesn't bother with defensive players.

It's just a risk. It makes it more advantageous to roster multiple IDP guys for each roster slot, which is a cost to owners. Sean Lee is fantastic but he's also often injured, so I have to take that into account when I decide to own him.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
well Rob Kelley is giving it his best effort. that's for drat sure.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

well Rob Kelley is giving it his best effort. that's for drat sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My 25 point game from Olsen is not materializing