Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rolo posted:

I finished my MSF course this morning. Here’s my thoughts and progress report:

-I dropped a bike! The first time I tried the box to the right I got too slow and too tight and down she went. I probably could have saved it but man I’m brand new to all of this so I just held her as she slowly went down for her nap. I did not drop it or stall it during the exam but I did go over the line in the box, my real problem area.
If it makes you feel any better the box sucks and nearly everyone who did it when I took the MSF class struggled the most with that part. Plus it's the least crucial of all the teaching. After about three years, I've always been and still remain terrible at low speed maneuvering, my desire to not risk dropping my bike for something so stupid far outweighs my pride, and I just duck walk basically all low speed parking lot situations.

Congrats and congrats in advance on your inevitable bike purchase!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The above two posts are all the proof you need that small bikes are best bikes.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Rolo posted:

-I dropped a bike! The first time I tried the box to the right I got too slow and too tight and down she went. I probably could have saved it but man I’m brand new to all of this so I just held her as she slowly went down for her nap.

This got passed in the excitement over someone else's high side, but don't try to save a dropping bike. Let it go.
Bikes seem light when they're upright, but are extremely heavy when they're going down. Yeah, you'll break some poo poo when it hits, but clutch levers, mirrors, and fairings are all way cheaper than rotator cuff surgery. Let it go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m assuming it varies from city to city but I’m having a hard time finding a decent used bike that makes it worth buying used. I live in a big city in the south and it’s riding season most of the year. I’m getting a smaller starter bike anyways so is it really that much a travesty to get a ~4k new bike instead of a ~3k 2015 bike with thousands of miles and a chopped exhaust?

I’m still not buying for a few more weeks so I’m gonna keep CLing just in case something catches me, but I’d love some input.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I see the traditional Ninja 250/300s for about $2k around me. I think the CW is more that you won't want to drop a new bike on the ground vs an old bike, and that's fairly likely when you're a new rider.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you're up for a road trip you can get some love by going to a smaller/shittier town in a rental car and then renting a U-haul box for the return trip. Only thing is that you gotta be ready to do is walk and eat the travel costs as 'entertaining weekend roadtrip' if it's way worse than they advertised it as.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I could theoretically do that. Also my Subaru has a towing capacity of 1500 lbs and U-haul has motorcycle trailers that only weigh 800 pounds.

Maybe something nice will pop up right down the road right before I’m ready to buy and forgo the whole thing.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 7, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ended up buying what is definitely termed a beater ‘11 250. She’s been dropped, one of the fairings has been resprayed and doesn’t really match up close, but the price was right, she’ll pass safety, and I am definitely not going to cry about dropping her in the driveway. If anything I’ll probably be less shy about learning and trying to throw her around.

That said, I still love her to death. I’ll always have a soft spot for my first bike.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I ended up buying what is definitely termed a beater ‘11 250. She’s been dropped, one of the fairings has been resprayed and doesn’t really match up close, but the price was right, she’ll pass safety, and I am definitely not going to cry about dropping her in the driveway. If anything I’ll probably be less shy about learning and trying to throw her around.

That said, I still love her to death. I’ll always have a soft spot for my first bike.

Pics!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

It.

Please.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It

it:

I ordered a replacement windshield and grips because it's a horrible rattlecan job, and worn out, respectively.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 7, 2019

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Whaaa? It looks great. Nice score.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slide Hammer posted:

Whaaa? It looks great. Nice score.

Thanks! That’s the photogenic side :q:

Overall it has a bunch of things I don’t like. Janky rear end right fairing that looks like it was painted with house paint, a weird tail tidy that leaves some gaps between the tail fairing and tail light, a lovely rattlecan windshield, and signs of obvious lowside by one of the hundred previous owners. It’s one of those bikes that looks good from twenty feet away but gets more obvious the closer you get. Now I say this and it sounds bad, but despite all the dumb poo poo I see it still has pretty meticulous maintenance records going back two owners and I’m comfortable that it’s going to be something I can bang around on for a year or two while I skill up for a 400 or 500.

I’m also fairly sure it is running rich but that’ll be part of fun carb adventure. I need to get down to the carbs at some point to take in the throttle slack or just replace the throttle cable. I maxed out my tension adjuster at the grip and I still have 2mm to take in. Womp womp.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah, none of that poo poo matters much in a bike that you will not keep for very long. As long as it starts and runs ok...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

It

it:

I ordered a replacement windshield and grips because it's a horrible rattlecan job, and worn out, respectively.

That looks pretty good. Rear tire looks square as gently caress but might just be the camera angle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll be a little less vain and post the worse side

Pretty sure this is just house paint

Not sure what to make of the tire. I plan to replace it, I think this is the only thing that may not pass safety now that I look at it.

Not sure what's happening with this rearset. Looks like it fractured and was welded back together. Works for now :shrug:

e: Oh also this :lol:

Again though, this isn't my forever bike. I'm fine riding this until it falls apart :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 8, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, the rear tire is definitely getting squared off. Compare the depth of the tread patterns in the middle of the tire to their depth around the extreme rim where they're untouched. It's still rideable as pictured (I can't quite see the tread wear bars in the pictures, but looks like they're getting close), but I'd replace it if for no other reason than a new round tire feels way more predictable and confidence-inspiring in the turns. Do the front tire at the same time. The tires on a motorcycle are a lot more critical to both safety and vehicle dynamics than they are on a car and for the skinny ones on a Ninja you're looking at like 200-250 bucks for comfort and peace of mind.

Paint is fine, that's what a starter bike should look like. I've seen and ridden far worse.

That kind of damage to the rearset + the scrapes on the brake pedal + the new paint on the fairing shows that it's been dropped on its side at moderate speed. No big deal. The weld is ugly but probably functional. You can pick up a new peg/perch/lever unit on eBay for cheap and install one afternoon if you want a nice starter project.

Keep an eye on that tape on the rear brake line. Is that self-healing silicone? Maybe it's normal, idk, get one of the mechanics in here to verify, but it looks a little wonky to me.

Do replace that taillight when you get the chance. If you've got more time than money, you can sand that poo poo off and polish it back to clear with a headlight restoration kit (20 bucks).

Don't be afraid to adjust the levers. They are aftermarket and look like they're set closer to the grips than I would prefer. Make sure that you have room for your fingers behind them, that you can operate them fully (clutch completely open, brake pulled until it stops) without hitting the grips, and that you can reach them quickly without a stretch.

Looks good overall. I think you'll find that you get more attached to your first bike than you expect at the beginning. Little bikes best bikes

e: oh and don't worry about it running rich at this point unless it's like literally blowing black smoke and building up soot all over your right leg. That bike has no catalytic converter or other emissions stuff so it'll always smell a little bit like a motorboat. Optimum tuning isn't important and running a little rich won't hurt it. just ride.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 8, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great advice, thanks! I'm still going to need to take it in for an official govt safety so ideally if there are any issues with what you described they'll give me the lowdown.

Based on the kind of driving I do (and granted, riding a MC is different than driving a car) I'm much more interested in scenic cruising farm roads and small towns than I am burning up a highway -- I don't want to make any sweeping statements like I'll never own a super powerful bike, but based on my personality I wouldn't be surprised if a 250 was enough for me, or whether I'd top out on a 400 or whatever. This isn't my dream bike, but I'm not in any hurry to race up specs. I'll be happy riding this :)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Just took the thumper out a few days ago to ride it from my old place to a new house we moved into a couple months ago. What surprised me most is that it started on the first try after sitting all winter outside! Now, it probably needs some help in the form of replacing oil, lube chain, etc. What do you guys suggest for a basic toolkit for doing some maintenance? I've got a socket wrench set and some other tools for working on my car but I'm wondering if I need anything motorcycle specific.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

Keep an eye on that tape on the rear brake line. Is that self-healing silicone? Maybe it's normal, idk, get one of the mechanics in here to verify, but it looks a little wonky to me.

Do replace that taillight when you get the chance. If you've got more time than money, you can sand that poo poo off and polish it back to clear with a headlight restoration kit (20 bucks).

Looks good overall. I think you'll find that you get more attached to your first bike than you expect at the beginning. Little bikes best bikes

Great advice overall, that tape looks like a factory job to hold the soft line in a plastic guide, brake fluid would instantly murder any attempts at a tape repair, even if it could hold pressure.

I'm not one to shame people for "chicken strips" since you probably shouldn't be at maximum lean angle on the sheets, but :drat: I hope you turn a little more than the PO, second the advice to wear in your own new set if matched tires, get a sport-touring dual or tri compound set, they're better in rain, and you won't be able to tell the difference in dry traction, Pilot Roads of any apendment are good.

Nice bike, cosmetic issues and good running is where it's at.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I'll be a little less vain and post the worse side

Pretty sure this is just house paint

Still nicer than my ninja 250. You probably have to undo the tail tidy for a safety

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Martytoof posted:

It’s perfect. :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mewse posted:

Still nicer than my ninja 250. You probably have to undo the tail tidy for a safety

I’m just picking up a few of the OEM pieces to undo the tail tidy just to be safe, thanks for the advice. The letter of Ontario safety inspections seems to agree with you.

Factoring this in, I’m over the price I could have paid for a somewhat more stock 250R but I’m just chalking that up to inexperience and life lessons. Swapping this stuff out should be a fun project.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Butt Reactor posted:

Just took the thumper out a few days ago to ride it from my old place to a new house we moved into a couple months ago. What surprised me most is that it started on the first try after sitting all winter outside! Now, it probably needs some help in the form of replacing oil, lube chain, etc. What do you guys suggest for a basic toolkit for doing some maintenance? I've got a socket wrench set and some other tools for working on my car but I'm wondering if I need anything motorcycle specific.

Not for what you want to do.

Chain cleaning brush if you want to go nuts? Maybe a stand of some variety. What kind of bike?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

builds character posted:

Not for what you want to do.

Chain cleaning brush if you want to go nuts? Maybe a stand of some variety. What kind of bike?

Kawa Kz200, has a built in center stand plus kickstand. Unless you suggest some sort of special stand for working?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Since you got a center stand, you don't need to get a rear wheel stand. For a chain brush I recommend Tirox 360 degree Brush. It saves a fair bit of time over a conventional chain brush.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rolo posted:

The guy going in front of me somehow high sided at the very end, fell off the bike and broke his ankle in two places.

When I did my UK bike license course the other student had a fairly big crash. He just failed to turn at all and went straight on at a corner, the bike came to an abrupt stop in a ditch and he went cartwheeling into a field at 40mph.

It was actually a pretty good lesson for me to see in a very graphic way how violent heaving a bike crash is. He was also a complete dick and while I wouldn't say he actively deserved it he was fine afterwards and it was fairly amusing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pokie posted:

Since you got a center stand, you don't need to get a rear wheel stand. For a chain brush I recommend Tirox 360 degree Brush. It saves a fair bit of time over a conventional chain brush.

I already have a brush, but I had revzilla cash plus a little remaining on a gift card so I just picked this up for free. Will try it out this weekend.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Chain brush chat: thoroughly rinse your brush after cleaning. The solvents normally used for chain cleaning will overtime eat away at the plastic bristles.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo I've been "rinsing" mine with WD-40

tjones
May 13, 2005
I had a grunge brush's bristles completely disintegrate after a year of heavy use. They were falling out in clumps from the base. I normally use the dupoint chain degreaser that is usually paired with their teflon wax, if that matters.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That stuff in the purple bottle caused my grunge brush to go bald suddenly this year. Like several years of use and then POOF.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Just a quickie — that rear brake line is getting ripped out next week. I pulled the tape off and saw that there was a gouge where it had obviously rubbed the tire. Not through the line but taking zero chances. Ordered a steel line kit.

Replacing the tail with an OEM so I can pass safety.

Starting to post my progress in the “what did you do today” thread but the gist is that I did a terrible job of the initial inspection and almost everything I look closely at was somehow butchered by the previous owner. I guess the lesson I learned is that I thought I had a good eye for what a working bike looks like but there is no fact behind that at all. If you’re new, try to take someone experienced for sure, but at the very least take someone who can check your “oh boy my first bike!!” excitement and maybe find the flaws you are overlooking in your zeal for a new toy.

I got the bike for a steal but I’ll likely need to put aother 5-600 in to get it on the road. It’s a decent learning experience so far, and I don’t think I’m entirely upset with how it shook out because working on the bike has been fun. All the same, learn from my dumb mistake :q:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Nah, that's the normal experience. Nobody knows what to look for until they've actually seen it, so okay you live and learn and check all those things on your next bike, and they're fine, and then 2 weeks after buying it something rattles off and you discover a batshit new DSPO creation that you never in a million years would have thought to look for.

Example: the first time I went to remove the gas tank on my Hawk GT I discovered that the bolt "holding it in" was significantly undersized. Like a 6mm bolt where it was supposed to be 10. In order to keep the bolt in place, the PO had wrapped the threads with about about a quarter inch of electrical tape and crammed it in the hole to hold in place with friction. You'd never expect something so :psyduck: and nobody's checking the fuel tank hold down bolts in a side-of-the-road craigslist inspection. But now I know. Fortunately it was only one of the three bolts so the tank was still more or less attached.

500 bucks for new tires, chain, oil, and other random pieces to get it in the shape you like is totally within reason. It sounds like the bike is working fine, so I don't think you got scammed or anything -- a scuff on the brake line probably isn't a problem (proud that I called it) but it's good practice to replace it, the fairings are your preference, the peg perch was ugly but functional. The only things that obviously needed to be done were the tires and the taillight.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 12, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah sorry I should have been much clearer -- I don't think he scammed me at all, but rather I didn't ask the right questions. He was very talkative and happy to answer questions, but to be frank, if I was selling a beater bike I probably wouldn't go into detail on just exactly how bad it is either unless asked directly, so I don't blame him at all.

And I used the word scuff for the brake line, but what I really should have said is "hole in the outer rubber, and a scuff on the inner hose" so that prompted action on my part. If I had just seen some scratches on the outer I would probably have left it. All the other vanity replacement items are just things I am finding for a few bucks here and there so I almost don't even count them as expenses :)

The ONLY reason I bring this up is that for ultimately what I am paying to bring the bike back to spec all-in, I can see bikes which are being sold with existing safeties, or advertised as requiring nothing to safety. That said, they are all coming up on seven or eight years old now so will probably need some investment in parts as well. That's why I'm not so fussed about it.

Oh and also to warn other newbie riders to bring a friend who can, if not help inspect mechanically, at least look at the bike objectively, rather than as an object they have already purchased in their mind :haw:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Were you the one that got the pretty white ninja 250? If so, don't worry. Beginners bikes tend to have beginners repairs or maintenance. It's a really durable bike and it can take it, though. For things like the brake lines, look at replacing it with steel braided lines. If you are spending the money, it's worth it to upgrade. Doing a brake flush isn't a bad idea anyways.

Also, 500-600 extra is standard for a newly purchased bike. You want to take care of tires, chain, fluids, and odds and ends no matter what it is. Think about it like bike bonding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I love my ugly white beater bike :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I love my ugly white beater bike :)

You've discovered fortnine.ca already right? They seem to have the best prices in canada for new parts in my experience

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mewse posted:

You've discovered fortnine.ca already right? They seem to have the best prices in canada for new parts in my experience

Already have like four or five separate orders from Fortnine coming in :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Does this look like a good jacket? i want a 3 seasons jacket to start with.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/386915