Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

and it god-drat worked too

7 wasn't even too different from vista but a different name and simply existing after the bandaid was ripped off did wonders for its image

everything about printers is hell-garbage from satan's rear end in a top hat and are a major reason I'm glad I'm not in IT anymore

the entire windows printer stack is a tire fire from top to bottom and microsoft doesn't dare change any of it because nothing would do more to piss off their business customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

this isn't a secfuck on its own but may be setting up some people for one with the list of trustworthy tlds:

yup, definitely never seen bullshit hosted on a .org or .com

especially since there was that site that was up and publicly available that let you register .gov domains instantly.

it also had a list of where all the naval warships and subs were at in real-time.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

i'm the guy with the 2nd home who's going to drop everything to travel there to save the items in my fridge when i get a notification that it's failed on my phone

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

especially since there was that site that was up and publicly available that let you register .gov domains instantly.

it also had a list of where all the naval warships and subs were at in real-time.

you what

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

mystes posted:

Everyone hated vista but it did achieve the desired result, so yeah.

I remember all the old people getting mad and youngsters being able to get them to try linux.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

idk it must've been nearly 10 years ago but they hosed up and left it public. there was some news articles about it.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

pseudorandom name posted:

the entire windows printer stack is a tire fire from top to bottom and microsoft doesn't dare change any of it because nothing would do more to piss off their business customers

easy peasy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress alladat

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Windows 2000, to the Judge while on trial: I know every Windows is allowed but four reuses of the archaic printer spool, and I partook six. I realise the error of these actions. They will never be repeated. I throw myself at your mutex.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that chart is making me nervous and angry

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hackbunny posted:

easy peasy

Never before has any goon dared to link diagrams of that stack in Yospos, Gandalf the Grey.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
printers are portals between the computer realm and the flesh realm, of course the diagrams for how they work are horrific sigils and they constantly break

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it's easier to print to my printer with a cell phone/ipad than it is with windows

hell i bet it's easier in desktop linux

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fishmech posted:

printers are portals between the computer realm and the flesh realm, of course the diagrams for how they work are horrific sigils and they constantly break

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
IoT makes sense in industrial stuff where you can fire the dude whose job it was to watch a dial somewhere. When it goes down you yell at the vendor who you have a 500k contract and a real SLA with. If you have on location stuff you can avoid having people around for monitoring bullshit. If it gets hacked you crush the vendor under your feet

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fishmech posted:

where can i get a flesh printer

also reams of flesh paper

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

hackbunny posted:

easy peasy

This reminds of the Windows DNS suffix search list behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgaq6OYLX8

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

hackbunny posted:

easy peasy

So what's the XPS to God drat It conversion rate?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does this chart mean that printer drivers have to choose whether to accept xps or gdi as their native input format? If so, are printers actually choosing the former rather than the latter?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I always preferred the nod print path

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/1095984778845708289

https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/1095977124278616065

https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/1095985623633059841

:eyepop:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 14, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the term 'counterintelligence' has always seemed to suggest precisely the sort of thinking that is on display there

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I, too, am not wary enough on motherfucking facebook to avoid watering hole attacks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I ran sonarqube against our companies main product. there are 10 hardcoded username and passwords in our source code. Thanks, junior India developers! I had to drop everything I was doing to write a report and send it to the CFO.

Luckily most of those were for demo purposes, but 4 of them were from production. But hey! We have TLS 1.3 support! It's like having a foot thick steel door next to an open window!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how many people are going to have their router and modem on battery backup?

ha ha yeah who would ever do something like that!! *tugs collar*

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also gigantic lols at "if you have a vacation home"

get

hosed

:agreed:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if you live in an area where brownouts are common it's not a bad idea for electronics

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
A few years back I was on AT&T's DSL service and the installer said "they didn't give me enough power bricks for the modem, so gently caress it I'm just giving everyone free battery backups" so I had my modem on battery backup. I already had a UPS for my NAS/router/switch, but it was nice.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have a ups for my computron and then another ups for my networking gear and its super nice for when some idiot slams his pickup into a pole during a snowstorm

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hackbunny posted:

easy peasy

* The XPS Print API is not supported and may be altered or unavailable in the future. Client applications should use the Print Document Package API instead.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

A few years back I was on AT&T's DSL service and the installer said "they didn't give me enough power bricks for the modem, so gently caress it I'm just giving everyone free battery backups" so I had my modem on battery backup. I already had a UPS for my NAS/router/switch, but it was nice.

my apartment came with the fios system meant for phones, but i don't have a phone plan so they "disabled" the battery backup by just... removing the battery. like $20 for a sealed lead-acid battery later and bam, working fine

i have UPS'es on everything else too though, both because the power does occasionally go out here (suspiciously often on friday/saturday nights with clear skies and no wind, so presumably drunks slamming into transformers) and because my dad put them on goddamn everything and i picked up the habit

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's a good feeling when everything seems fine and the UPSes click on anyway

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

* The XPS Print API is not supported and may be altered or unavailable in the future. Client applications should use the Print Document Package API instead.

xps did its job, microsoft had pdf printing and viewing support ready to ship for over a decade but adobe kept throwing (antitrust) fits, so microsoft started pushing a new document format until adobe gave in and now windows 10 does both viewing and printing to pdf

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's easier to print to my printer with a cell phone/ipad than it is with windows

hell i bet it's easier in desktop linux

I used a raspi for a wireless printer server and since windows 10 dropped samba1 support everything gets printed from my iphone. airprint is so good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

xps did its job, microsoft had pdf printing and viewing support ready to ship for over a decade but adobe kept throwing (antitrust) fits, so microsoft started pushing a new document format until adobe gave in and now windows 10 does both viewing and printing to pdf
I don't think this is an accurate summary. Microsoft only reluctantly added PDF support to office because they were forced to and they only gave up on XPS after it was clearly a failure. The point of XPS wasn't to get any other company to do anything else, it was to try to stop PDF which is a real open standard by replacing it with a format that is just serialized WPF drawing instructions and therefore hard to implement elsewhere despite allegedly being an open standard.

XPS was part of the same really lovely effort as OOXML in response to various jurisdictions legally mandating open formats. Microsoft handled this by creating supposedly open standards for its formats, even though for example a lot of the OOXML spec is just like "insert a binary blob here and do whatever unspecified behavior word does," and they somehow got (bribed?) ISO to approve it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 14, 2019

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

XPS is still used as the metaformat for their replacement printer driver stack

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
PDF wasn't open soresed until 2008 and even then it isn't really open because its still largely adobes format. its still to this day a huge pain in the rear end to implement readers and editors for it.

Microsoft created a PDF addon to office 2007 because adobe wouldn't let them include it in office by default. Adobe was still making money on acrobat and a pdf capable Word would eliminate acrobats entire market.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also openxml is great and super easy to use.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

also openxml is great and super easy to use.
You might be the only person who has ever said this. Also there might be libraries for using it that don't require windows and don't completely suck now, but that wasn't the case when the format was first created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Ive used the official .net lib for it to create word docs and it works fine