Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ultimate Mango posted:

Serious question: I am being offered a new position at my employer. Would be a ~$45k reduction in base salary, same OTE, but more upside (and likely easier to hit/exceed OTE). Basically moving closer to sales, closer to customers in a new role at the company, and being paid on a small district number vs a huge country number. New quota would be like 1% of the old quota, and I would have a lot more direct control.

Problem: I did not budget for a huge hit to the base, but I can make it work for a time.

Worth the risk at big upside?

how about you keep the same job you do now but send me the 45k a year so I can more than double my salary. tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

I think I'm saving too much into my retirement accounts.

hmmmmmm yes

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

n8r posted:

Nice six figgie humblebrag.

I’ve discussed my situation pretty openly here in the past. I was making six figures before I could buy beer, which was decades ago. Pay disparity is still totally hosed up, but my income certainly hasn’t kept up with inflation or anything.

zaurg posted:

I think I'm saving too much into my retirement accounts. I should throttle it back a bit and put some more savings into a general savings account, shouldn't I?

Let me ask you guys a question. If you look at the total amount you save per month, what percentage of that is going into dedicated retirement accounts 401k/IRA?

Me? 82%. So if I saved $1000, $820 of that is going to loving retirement. $180 for other poo poo. That's not very balanced is it?

Ha ha ha. NO. Bad Zaurg. BAD.

YOU DON’T GET ACCESS TO LIQUID FUNDS. keep it away from yourself for your own good.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yes on this, his seventh? eighth? rereg, he will turn it around, if only you can find the right phrasing.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Yes on this, his seventh? eighth? rereg, he will turn it around, if only you can find the right phrasing.

Thank you, Weatherman. One of the true zaurg believer OG's right here, people!

I doubt Weatherman's stamina could be topped.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zaurg posted:

Thank you, Weatherman. One of the true zaurg believer OG's right here, people!

I doubt Weatherman's stamina could be topped.

Shut the gently caress up zaurg

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
*nods solemnly and knowingly*

No one could top JosephWongKS's stamina. Truly remarkable. Sorry Weatherman, you are, quite fittingly, #2.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Bets on how long I'll stick around this time? 2 days? A week? Anyone even care anymore?

Here's a twist for fun... how do I turn zaurg dot com into a couple bucks extra income per month? Hit me with your sincere suggestions.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Get hosed zagir

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
shut up boring old man

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

zaurg posted:

I think I'm saving too much into my retirement accounts. I should throttle it back a bit and put some more savings into a general savings account, shouldn't I?

Let me ask you guys a question. If you look at the total amount you save per month, what percentage of that is going into dedicated retirement accounts 401k/IRA?

Me? 82%. So if I saved $1000, $820 of that is going to loving retirement. $180 for other poo poo. That's not very balanced is it?

Have you bothered to work out whether $820 a month is even sufficient to stop you from living off cat food in a cardboard box in your 90s?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Breetai posted:

Have you bothered to work out whether $820 a month is even sufficient to stop you from living off cat food in a cardboard box in your 90s?

“Math is hard” -‘90s Malibu Barbie

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zaurg posted:

Bets on how long I'll stick around this time? 2 days? A week? Anyone even care anymore?

Here's a twist for fun... how do I turn zaurg dot com into a couple bucks extra income per month? Hit me with your sincere suggestions.

My sincere suggestion is for you to shut the gently caress up zaurg

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
What percentage of your whole income is being set away for the 401k/retirement funds?

I think at least 10% should be the minimum but more saving means more relaxation when we're all old and frail.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Breetai posted:

Yes I have. It says I'm fine and will still have a butt load of money in the bank into my 90s. As long as social security pays out and I get married.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

What percentage of your whole income is being set away for the 401k/retirement funds?

I think at least 10% should be the minimum but more saving means more relaxation when we're all old and frail.

For the past year and right now, it's at about 28%. I feel like it's too much, but granted for now I'm trying to make up for lost time of making GBS threads up my 30's.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

zaurg posted:

For the past year and right now, it's at about 28%.

I feel like you're on a good track, there. I wouldn't change it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zaurg posted:

For the past year and right now, it's at about 28%. I feel like it's too much, but granted for now I'm trying to make up for lost time of making GBS threads up my 30's.

You should make up for all the lost time of not shutting the gently caress up, zaurg

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Surely this time will be different.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Motronic posted:

Surely this time will be different.

I give him 48 hours. 72 max.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

zaurg posted:

Yes I have. It says I'm fine and will still have a butt load of money in the bank into my 90s. As long as social security pays out and I get married.

Did you pop the question? You know, did you ask her to taze your balls?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Remember the time zaurg self-banned? Good times. I liked that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nashona posted:

Did you pop the question? You know, did you ask her to taze your balls?

(* can only taze balls when approved by his new HOA)

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klafbang posted:

Remember the time zaurg self-banned? Good times. I liked that.

which time?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

zaurg posted:

social security pays out

Definitely will still be social security by the time you’re able to cash it out lmao

zaurg posted:

I get married.

not a great track record so far but maybe this time it will work

then again you still know nothing about zuargf’s finances at ALL so maybe don’t do that until you know she would be on the same page about not spending all your money

Really it’s incredible that you have absolutely no idea about the finances of your gf of several years. How is that even possible?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

dude you suck so bad

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

zaurg posted:

Take 100% of it and shove it up your rear end until you die from Benjaminitis.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

zaurg posted:

If you look at the total amount you save per month, what percentage of that is going into dedicated retirement accounts 401k/IRA?

Scientists baffled! One man’s endless ability to be so loving stupid.

zaurg posted:

No. Go away and never return.

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
Where is the "budget" urgaz.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If he posts the budget someone make sure he listed his reg fee.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Where’s your budget? The one for a February?

As for my sitch: one base paycheck would cover house and car stuff, and one would need to cover everything else, but some big yearly expenses (school, property tax, house repairs (painting this year) would need to be covered by variable income. I prefer to only live on my base salary and save all the rest, but it just wouldn’t be possible with this new style plan.

The upside would be multiple six figures a year, which I think makes it worth the risk.

For those of you not Zaurg, I’m interested in what you think. Talking with my maybe new VP this week, who hand picked me for this job.

IIRC you spent a substantial chunk of time between full-time jobs recently. Variable income is its own headache of difficulty, but I doubt it'll overwhelm you at this point.

How long would it take you to turn the additional upside income into low risk passive income (CDs, HYSA, AAA bonds) to cover the recurring expenses with a stable and predictable income stream? Make that your first priority with your additional upside. Once you've achieved that, the rest is gravy.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Lowdog posted:

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

then again you still know nothing about zuargf’s finances at ALL so maybe don’t do that until you know she would be on the same page about not spending all your money

Really it’s incredible that you have absolutely no idea about the finances of your gf of several years. How is that even possible?

Tacks, those discussions take time. I know much more than I did months ago. She's definitely on the same page, which is amazing.

Also it hasn't been several years. It has been less than 18 months.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

The Lowdog posted:

It's on my google docs, Lowdog, as always. I won't be sharing it with you guys though. You don't even look at it or consider it a budget anyway so what's the point?

January went ok. Spent $4320. Earned $4708, which doesn't include a windfall. Not great, not terrible. Gotta do better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just sad at this point tbh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think a permaban is the merciful option

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.

zaurg posted:

how do I turn zaurg dot com into a couple bucks extra income per month?

You know how there are sites out there that are like, mattress review sites? Like, who the hell buys 50 mattresses and tests them? Why would they do that? Well, for many, it's because they are paid to do so. In addition to whatever advertising revenue they get, retailers will give kickbacks and referral credits to bloggers to promote their product. That mattress reviewer? A conservative estimate of the mattress reviewer's revenues puts him at earning 1.6 million over 18 months.

So do that, but for tasers. Buy every possible taser you can find, use each one to rase your balls, and then write a painstaking review of the efficacy, hand feel, design, and overall value of each taser. Tase your balls a thousand times. You could make millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zaurg posted:

It's on my google docs, Lowdog, as always. I won't be sharing it with you guys though. You don't even look at it or consider it a budget anyway so what's the point?

January went ok. Spent $4320. Earned $4708, which doesn't include a windfall. Not great, not terrible. Gotta do better.

You gotta do better at shutting the gently caress up zaurg