Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Jarvisi posted:

I'm attempting to get into this, though it's really intimidating. I've heard picking any race but human is a way to gently caress yourself over immediately. Can someone explain?

At a guess: the animal people undergo a “tribulation” at some point in their lives, basically a test of strength. If they’re not buff enough they functionally die and turn into a monster who probably will run around killing your people.

How long this takes is dependent on a bunch of factors but it can be as short as, like, “a month”. It’s possible to power up even a cultivator in a new sect quickly for experienced players, but if this your first sect getting really off the ground everything will take longer as you figure things out, so having a ticking time bomb is probably going to be painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Heaven hates when animals start thinking and wearing pants

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Heaven is racist against cat girls.

(They are not wrong.)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

I'm attempting to get into this, though it's really intimidating. I've heard picking any race but human is a way to gently caress yourself over immediately. Can someone explain?

it isn't going to gently caress you over immediately but it's a bad long-term decision to waste your initial picks on animal people, since you get to design them to be good and animal people have a timer before they must face tribulation that you may or may not be strong enough to handle, especially the first few times you play. if you want animal people in your sect it's perfectly fine to just recruit some once you're actually playing. probably best to be racist against turtle people because they're so slow that they can't really contribute to the sect very well, other animal people can be quite useful tho

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Heaven is racist against cat girls.

(They are not wrong.)

Cat girls do neither thing

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
This is more ACS adjacent but does anyone know what's going on with Tale of Wuxia?

From what I understand the developers and the publisher got into a legal pissing match which ended with the developers unable to fix their product.

Except... it's still getting updates that only change the artwork drastically? And only a few characters so they clash drastically with the old art.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Airspace posted:

This is more ACS adjacent but does anyone know what's going on with Tale of Wuxia?
It’s complicated, and what I have to say are based on personal experience, evidentiary conjecture, and piecing the result together.

I mailed ToW dev in the past before they decided to group up to remake the game, and suggested them doing crowdfunding/kickstarter (still popular back then and foreign game on stream isn’t a thing yet) with extra goal to localize into the western market. We exchanged a little more detail about it before they announced the remake.

Here is the part where the conjecture begins and I will be extremely harsh against the publisher Fenghuang Game.
They probably twitsted the meaning of ‘crowdfunding’ in their contract for translation so hard that this is what happened:

Fenghuang Game has their own webstore, kinda like ubistore but for Chinese market, and what they decided to do is to do a Crowd-translation by the public on their webstore. Now, this store is fully in Chinese and they released the whole game’s text broken up word by word, and followed by pieces of sentences for anyone to translate to earn store point. Natural, this resulted in the worst possible translation possible since all these non-native Chinese translator who probably don’t even know English just grab pieces of word and sentence without context to translate it individually without any consistency.

I was there, all signed up and ready to join this army of internet rando to do this translation event. However, it ended up like a pack of hungry wolf snatching for storepoint since each pieces of ‘word and sentence’ are first come first serve. Whoever grab it gets to hold on to it for like an hour while everyone wait their turn to input their own interpretations of the word. I believe you only get store point if your translation is accepted by the ‘community/publisher staff’.

This community I am talking about is a temp forum on the publisher website letting people who have no experience of translation to debate on how to translate the game. Naturally they ultimately settled for the lazy/amateur approach since they don’t know how to do it properly or have any experience in the first palce.

I left with diagust after that and the rest is history.

Also the ToW dev got sued for a lot of money by the original IP owner of the game, because Softworld is a bloodsucking rear end in a top hat. I think this is the reason some art got changed.

And now the dev are making their own IP, and their EA game seem to be doing well.

——-

Circling back on ACS, they hired actual novelist who wrote and published Xianxia novel in English, so that’s good. I don’t agree with some choice they made, but I am not perfect either. Translation is just hard. Especially on game with heavy loaded lore and filled with historical references that probably haven’t gotten an universally accepted translation for various thing not well-known or exist in the western culture. Some Chinese herb for example, you can only find scientific name for them on wikipedia.

ACS dev and their awesome publisher also let a smaller community of English discord players who cares about the game to decide/debate on a preferred version of law’s name, among a few other things.

Sorry if some law name is way off the mark, I only thought of a better translation long after it finalized. We also want it to not sound lame in English. :3:

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 2, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So my main cultivator isn't bothering to cultivate. They just play go and sleep all day. I assume this is related to their mental breakdown? How do I get this taken care of?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
If you haven't already, I highly recommend you download the Elysium mod. It automates the minigame of managing your Inners mental states to keep them between 50 and 80 (or whatever you set it at) to make sure they don't fall into breakdowns. But if your character's Mental State (not Mood, that's different) looks fine it could be a Stamina issue. You might need to eat a bunch of food and herbs to get it back.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Are there any good LPs of this yet besides just the one? Like DF is as much fun to read about to play and this is the same.

Cultivation succession game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Sim is way to slowpaced to make for a decent succession game imo

And not much really changes for that matter.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What should I be doing with the outpost I get? So far I'm just using it as a grain store while I wait to upgrade it.

Any tips on upgrading my golden core for the first disciple or should I just say gently caress it and go for rank 8 golden core?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jarvisi posted:

What should I be doing with the outpost I get? So far I'm just using it as a grain store while I wait to upgrade it.

Any tips on upgrading my golden core for the first disciple or should I just say gently caress it and go for rank 8 golden core?

Make sure you breakthrough during the correct season and in a properly prepared room feeding your element, that should take you to rank 5-6 iirc (check the guides for seasons and breakthrough room arrangement). For your first golden core that should be ok, after that you'll gain more tools to really grind those gokus.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Jarvisi posted:

Outposts are mostly there for believers, so as long as you have a policy running that helps with that e.g. charity then it's fine. It's a good idea to get every outpost up and running asap, just recruit and send random people as abbot at first and you can replace them later.

As for golden core it's definitely possible to get a T1 early game, I managed to get a Sunflower Refining cultivator a T1 in the first summer at around day 30. Learn all the max qi and qi sense manuals from the 5 starter laws, feed them 2 earth flux and 1 wicked flux (if you don't know what these are you get them from adventuring around Mt Shu and Exultant Isle) and you'll definitely be on the way to a high tier core even with an average cultivator.

Extra stuff you can do in the early game: Otherworld rift, either get the mod that removes the real time component or set your system time to October 1st to get a +5 qi sense manual. Get a high social and charisma cultivator (like 15/8+) and send them to Skydome Palace with a blank talisman paper to get the Primordial Symbols law for an extra 1k max qi manual and some really great talismans as a bonus.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You can send more people to outposts to help with their stats, but their stats are mostly for the random events as a pass / fail check.

The main person gets to use all their stats while I think every extra person you send uses 1/10th of their stats. So later on when you can check through 100 people at a time, you can worry about that.

You can also send animal people there and their timer will not count down.

If you are a fun haver, remember, positive events will store positive cultivation for someone to pick up, but negative events will store negative cultivation which still acts like positive cultivation when you pick it up.

You can be an rear end to a town and still gain a lot of cultivation there.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Jarvisi posted:

There's a lot of valuable things that even a garbage golden core disciple can start doing. I like to rush out a trash GC just to get started on the Mini-Universe and spirit refining. When they hit Primordial you can spend all their lifespan on body forging and weather miracles. These things help you improve future cultivators, your first is never your best.

If you're attached to your first disciple for whatever reason, you can always rebirth them once you've squeezed their current life for all it's worth. You can also roll the dice on ascension, those statues are mighty fine.

True Sun cultivators are easy to rush since spirit wood is readily available. The starter Earth and Plant laws have ways to boost your qi pool so that even trash cores can hit the useful qi minimums for miracles (IIRC 30k for gold core and 150k for primordials).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
A big part of building the best cultivators is also rebirthing them after they spend a bunch of inner spirits grafting manuals onto gear (ideally gear you've bought from the torch dragon). There's no limit on the number of imbued items a cultivator can wear if it was done with his own spirits. This is one way to make an absolute dumptruck of an artifact wielder by imbuing 3-tier manuals into his wearable items and clothing from chariot and 7 sword paths, then giving him talisman law for this third incarnation and stacking his potential way past the cap and filling his inner cauldron. This can net you a monstrous inner with millions of chi and artifact power in the tens of thousands.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Some other random advice:
- If you aim to GC on the 10th of the appropriate month (feeding element) you'll get that +++++
-Fertilize your fields. It directly adds to fertility, which is then modified multiplicatively by weather, auspicious events, miracles, etc. It's fairly effortless and it makes a big difference.
Fields can be fertilized by poop or dead bodies, both of which you will have in plentiful supply as the game progresses. An easy way to fertilize with poop is to delete a field (which won't actually remove the crops), make a poop only stockpile there and then switch back once the stockpile is full. Bodies can be placed manually and will fertilize a 3x3 area. Fertilize a couple times to get the full effect.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Cultivation advice!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Sounds good to me. I just need to find a better material than spirit wood in order to actually get a good rank

Phoenix wood???

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Yeah phoenixwood is the best wood qi you can get easily, though its gather range is 1 less than spiritwood so keep that around the edges of your arrays.

Has anyone here managed to do high Tribulation difficulties, specifically the day 80 yaoguai attack, without relying on body cultivators? I just tried a xiandao start on Tribulation IV (all the harder enemies options and no harder economy options) with the yaoguai attack on day 80. I had 5 primordial spirits all built on T1 golden cores with pretty good artifacts, T6 sharpsword and darkarmor talismans, and as much inspiration as I could gather in that short time spent on improving their artifact combat and barriers, and I got completely annihilated by just one of the 4 attackers.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Dire Lemming posted:

Yeah phoenixwood is the best wood qi you can get easily, though its gather range is 1 less than spiritwood so keep that around the edges of your arrays.

Has anyone here managed to do high Tribulation difficulties, specifically the day 80 yaoguai attack, without relying on body cultivators? I just tried a xiandao start on Tribulation IV (all the harder enemies options and no harder economy options) with the yaoguai attack on day 80. I had 5 primordial spirits all built on T1 golden cores with pretty good artifacts, T6 sharpsword and darkarmor talismans, and as much inspiration as I could gather in that short time spent on improving their artifact combat and barriers, and I got completely annihilated by just one of the 4 attackers.

Basically, no.

IIRC there was a successful attempt made by making a turtle inner cultivator, stacking spirit protection into stratosphere, not equipping an artifact and just outlasting them, but outside of cheese like that you need body cultivators. Nothing else comes close to the level of power you need fast enough.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dire Lemming posted:

Yeah even with going for anti-body optimized turd throwing wizards it's very hard. I couldn't do it without a goku

I guess maybe if you scummed until you got extremely lucky with poop KO'ing them? idk

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

So is there any actual downside to having your dick fall off?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Nice.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Kind of, actually, with a very minor upside and downside.

On the one hand, it turns into an equippable item that gives a stat boost, I think I remember Luck on the one I noticed, though I don't know if that's always the case.

On the other, if you reset that cultivator and turn them into a Body cultivator, that's a missing body part they can't forge. It's a very minor part, and one that women don't have an equivalent access to, so there's nothing important that relies on it. There's a mod on the workshop called Body Equalizer that will fix this while also giving women access to those forges by changing it to the limbic system.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Onean posted:

Kind of, actually, with a very minor upside and downside.

On the one hand, it turns into an equippable item that gives a stat boost, I think I remember Luck on the one I noticed, though I don't know if that's always the case.

On the other, if you reset that cultivator and turn them into a Body cultivator, that's a missing body part they can't forge. It's a very minor part, and one that women don't have an equivalent access to, so there's nothing important that relies on it. There's a mod on the workshop called Body Equalizer that will fix this while also giving women access to those forges by changing it to the limbic system.

This is such a strange thing since no one should ever be doing this.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, yeah, it's not a thing that anyone would really ever do, so practically the downside doesn't exist.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You should always cultivate your dick. For self-defense only of course

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is unfair that women can't cultivate their vagina bones

so instead we just give them all dicks

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Body cultivating the gorilla grip.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Third World Reagan posted:

It is unfair that women can't cultivate their vagina bones

so instead we just give them all dicks

As far as I can tell, all characters actually do have dicks. They've just hard-coded female dicks to be invulnerable, and un-cultivatable.

I have no idea why they chose to do this.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Why not cultivate boobs

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Too OP, you'd have TWO boobs to temper!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Drakes posted:

Too OP, you'd have TWO boobs to temper!

Nah, it's a nuanced gameplay decision! Inbuilt chest armor vs. a parrying dagger that works better when it's not cold outside.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Vengarr posted:

Why not cultivate boobs

The devs forgot to add a way to gender-gate body parts, so if you add tits, guys will have tits to cultivate too.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nah, it's a nuanced gameplay decision! Inbuilt chest armor vs. a parrying dagger that works better when it's not cold outside.

But people keep saying boob armor is bad? If boobs = armor then aren't boobs bad?!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pavlov posted:

The devs forgot to add a way to gender-gate body parts, so if you add tits, guys will have tits to cultivate too.

They must have some way of doing it, because only male Body cultivators can improve their “treasures”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Got my first GC to level 2 and I keep resetting to see if I can push it to 1 :(. I probably could with "qi bursting" but like.... I have read the guide and still have no idea wtf it actually is.