Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kinda wish the trailer hinted at or showed what the mystery or magical thing or supernatural event or whatever the game is about. I like the setting well enough but I wanna know what the weird part is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So far the trailers have seemed to intimate at some dark eldritch presence haunting the town ala IT but that's only the most obvious conclusion so I hope it's something more original.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

So far the trailers have seemed to intimate at some dark eldritch presence haunting the town ala IT but that's only the most obvious conclusion so I hope it's something more original.

I'm totally okay with eldritch stuff, I just didn't pick up anything in the trailer, I'll have to rewatch it. Granted I did watch it on my phone

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm totally okay with electrics stuff, I just didn't pick up anything in the trailer, I'll have to rewatch it. Granted I did watch it on my phone

It’s more present in the original trailer than in the most recent one

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

pentyne posted:

literally every mf'er making 6 figures at game companies has no loving clue how to make successful games

I'm gonna lol if it was actually Square Enix that forced LiS2 to be what it was instead of Dontnod

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

It’s more present in the original trailer than in the most recent one

I didn't realize there were other trailers :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I didn't realize there were other trailers :v:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_RpZoPbsae4

The game was announced at the end of last year, this is the first update we’ve had in months

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 30, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aw yeah now we're talkin. Can't wait to explore the purple hole

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also kind of curious what the power/gimmick is going to be (the previous LiS clone Tell Me Why had telepathy and the ability to see memories in front of you like sci-fi holograms for example)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Seems interesting enough, I’m guessing this will be another Tell Me Why esque game where it’s basically an unofficial LiS title in nearly all but name (this one does feel a little more ambitious however). Has anything been said about the gameplay/gimmick yet?

Also based on the whole debacle from a little bit ago I guess there’s going to be a LiS4 of sorts from Deck Nine eventually too (assuming they got rid of the nazi poo poo and didn’t scrap the whole project by now that is). If it does happen, curious if those rumors of Max returning to take center stage again will end up being true

it does seem like the nazi poo poo is literally 1-2 members of staff, likely senior dev, who are emboldened by wildly ineffective leadership as opposed to some kind of secret klan group or actual nazi work culture. The 'problem' as it were could be fixed in a matter of days/weeks.

That's not really too much better given one senior dev who was chronically abusive to female coworkers was punished by having his workspace moved farther away, and he didn't actually get consequenced until he started screaming full volume at an HR rep during a meeting.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

corgski posted:

I'm gonna lol if it was actually Square Enix that forced LiS2 to be what it was instead of Dontnod

Still darkly funny to me that a Square executive had to step in and say "stop making these games so gay" like they're just allergic to money.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Max Caulfield is back??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOYz4NCFIXg

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am freaking the gently caress out rn, not gonna lie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That barely looks like Max but seems interesting enough, I guess this is firmly in the Bay timeline since there’s no mention of Chloe at all (though considering this deals with alternate realities there’s still an opportunity for her to show up)

Crossing between realities seems like a natural extension of Max’s power and I’ll be curious to see how it’s used during gameplay. Glad they got Hannah Telle back too, it just wouldn’t be Max without her

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 9, 2024

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larryb posted:

That barely looks like Max

Yeah, it's losing me a little how different she looks. Honestly the lack of any mention of the past plus her appeareance makes me feel it was an unrelated LiS game where they added Max back in for the nostalgia factor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s possible we’ll get more connections to the original LiS as the game goes on (that design is going to take some getting used to though, if it weren’t for Hannah’s voice coming out of her I would not have recognized her as Max Caulfield).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 9, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

thry have completely ran out of ideas

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
if they really do make Bay canon I'm not interested

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

if they really do make Bay canon I'm not interested

The gimmick of the game is jumping between realities, they could easily give us both

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the description makes it sound like she's in college at this point

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They are basically ripping off the comics but seemingly in a really dumb way since it's entirely unique cast of characters other then Max.

To the comics credit parallel universe hopping is like the only way to tell a sequel from LiS and still bring back possibly dead characters.

However this doesn't look like that it looks like a Bay ending Max who has left everything from that game behind and is in a new life.

Coming out in 4 months means this has been in the works for years ideally, or this is a scramble to push it out as soon as possible to deflect all the reports about their worker abuse issues.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
She looks way more like the Max in the concept art and on the cover of the first LiS so I'm assuming this is how she was supposed to look now that they have better models (her hair is actually the right color now for instance)

She's also probably in her late twenties early thirties she'd look different than at 18.

Also she's wearing a bird pin so they're still doing the animal motifs

I can't believe I'm getting hit with this in October and then Arcane in November I guess end of 2024 is just bittersweet media lol

edit: Looking at a side by side of old Max and new Max that is defintely the same person and it's a better model with actual lighting and now whatever wizardry that had to do for Lis1

https://x.com/ShinEyeZehUhh/status/1799865328735777095

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 9, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is going to be interesting

decknine, right off the heels of their worker abuse expose, is finally delivering the "sequel" to the original Life is Strange featuring Max Caufield.

Meanwhile dontnod who walked away/was dropped as the developer of the LiS franchise by Squenix is coming out with what looks like a music themed female hybrid of Stranger Things and IT swapping between 1995(pure nostalgia bait) and 2022.

Lost Records says late 2024, Double Exposure is Oct 29th, these games will likely be out within a few months if not weeks of each other, it would be hilarious if dontnod delivers on the 'authentic' LiS experience people want and the decknine game is just a "eh, its fine".

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

pentyne posted:

decknine, right off the heels of their worker abuse expose, is finally delivering the "sequel" to the original Life is Strange featuring Max Caufield.

Did anybody ever resign for that stuff?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would guess the totally new setting and cast of characters allows for either LiS ending. Either Bay or Bae is out there living their best life, but Max just needed a fresh start in either event.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does the description mention anything about what year/state/town DE takes place in?

Also I assume this has been in development for a while as rumors first started flying about a possible Max return back in late 2023 if I recall correctly

In retrospect this could turn out to be in the Bae timeline after all since in the Sacrifice Chloe ending Max photo rewound way back to the beginning and technically never used her powers in the first place (though that would raise the question of what happened to Chloe)

It’s Max and we still see her with a camera in one shot so I assume photos will be back as the obligatory collectables this time

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 9, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't get 90s nostalgia.
The 80s had some cool music and fun movies, but I actually lived in the 90s and they sucked!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wonder if this will get a Switch (or possibly Switch 2) version later like the rest of the series did

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Did anybody ever resign for that stuff?

no, some people had been mentioned as having be fired by HR after their 11th warning, but the werido creep CTO is still there and even the most damning reports about him were just like, super odd behavior nothing actual criminal.

The funniest thing was the reveal that he lives with his mother (not really a bad thing) but that she could be a witness to the fact he wasn't a creepy predator.

quote:

Garriss joined Deck Nine in 2016 as the narrative director for Before the Storm. He is said to have quickly endeared himself to Deck Nine’s executives with his charisma, pitching abilities, and rare willingness to successfully disagree with Square Enix. But elsewhere in the studio, Garriss cultivated a different reputation. As Deck Nine began work on True Colors, sources say Garriss began forming close relationships with a number of younger women, often in situations where he had some sort of mentorship or other power over them, including at least one of the women on his team. Multiple women described him as “love bombing” them when they first met, showering them with compliments and convincing them he could get them promotions or raises. Sources say he frequently stayed late at the studio talking to these women – inviting them to lunch, dinner, drinks, movies, or even to his house after work. While in all these situations, sources say he would instigate personal conversations, and would even text some of them after work hours about personal topics.

quote:

Tate told me she went to HR repeatedly about Garriss’ behavior during his time there, but was simply encouraged to try and see things from his point of view. Another source, closer to leadership, was aware that Garriss had been instructed by HR to stop taking young women out to dinners; he did not. However, those I spoke to say that as True Colors wore on, Garriss distanced himself from his team of writers. He and another lead would make most of the story decisions, rewriting work from other writers without allowing them the opportunity to give feedback, even on stories centering marginalized characters.

quote:

In response to a request for comment on this piece, Garriss pushed back on a number of the allegations above. Though he acknowledged having “mentored” many women, he says he also mentored many men, and never directly offered promotion but instead supported the existing promotion process. He says the team at Deck Nine was “very close” and often attended lunches, dinners, drinks, movies, and other engagements together, and that he hosted get-togethers at his home “a small number of times” “with both male and female devs” and that his 73-year-old mother who lives with him was always present. He added that he never engaged in “any aberrant or inappropriate behavior” in texting his coworkers and that “many of the devs in the studios…text often, about all manner of things.”

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 9, 2024

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

pentyne posted:

no, some people had been mentioned as having be fired by HR after their 11th warning, but the werido creep CTO is still there and even the most damning reports about him were just like, super odd behavior nothing actual criminal.

The funniest thing was the reveal that he lives with his mother (not really a bad thing) but that she could be a witness to the fact he wasn't a creepy predator.

Huh......dude's definitely off even if they don't have him on anything solid

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

The 80s had some cool music and fun movies, but I actually lived in the 90s and they sucked!

The target audience are 90s and 00s kids

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Max is cute, I haven't properly listened to the trailer but I hope they got the same lady back

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

After nine years . . . we’re still Max Caufield.

But yeah if we’re merging realities I better see Chloe and Rachel alive and happy. You know i am owed this. Please deliver. Thanks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Max is cute, I haven't properly listened to the trailer but I hope they got the same lady back

It’s still Hannah Telle, yeah

Do we know if this game still takes place in Oregon (I would also believe Alaska or Colorado based on some of the set pieces)?

But yeah, I’m hoping we get some Chloe love in this as well (though it seems Max has found a new bestie now who ironically also gets murdered)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothBear posted:

After nine years . . . we’re still Max Caufield.

But yeah if we’re merging realities I better see Chloe and Rachel alive and happy. You know i am owed this. Please deliver. Thanks.

I think Chloe and Rachel might be too much to ask, especially since they'll probably get accused of ripping off the IDW comic.

Who wants to guess the choice will be which universe Max chooses to stay in at the end of the game, especially if one has Chloe and the other doesn't? Possibly displacing the Max Caulfield from the alternate timeline?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wat

The 80s nostalgia train is some kind of mass gaslighting by gen X, the 80s were rear end! Everything people believe was good about the 80s was actually the 90s and better most of the time (colorful poo poo, volume of good media produced, etc)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

But yeah, I’m hoping we get some Chloe love in this as well (though it seems Max has found a new bestie now who ironically also gets murdered)

Picking up a theme here. Are we sure about the events as told by Max in the first game?

This was about Lost Records.
I hadn't realized that the topic was on a completely different game by now.
About the actual statement. Well I'm just not into nostalgia in general. My childhood always felt awful and the decade before my birth seemed better because I don't associate it with poo poo memories. Like nostalgia, which isn't sullied by real experiences. On an intellectual level I'm aware that prior decades were poo poo too.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 9, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Chloe and Rachel might be too much to ask, especially since they'll probably get accused of ripping off the IDW comic.

Who wants to guess the choice will be which universe Max chooses to stay in at the end of the game, especially if one has Chloe and the other doesn't? Possibly displacing the Max Caulfield from the alternate timeline?

Calling it now, some variant of this will be the final choice in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’m kinda mixed on this. On one hand it’s what I expected based on everything that’s been leaked about LiS4 and it’s nice to hear Max’s voice again, on the other the trailer didn’t seem to have a whole lot of Chloe and their dynamic is part of what makes the first game so special. But I really liked True Colors and Farewell so I think D9 can write these characters well. Lost Records was kinda more my vibe from the outset. I also hated BTS on principle at first and ended up being dead wrong about that. We shall see!