Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nephthys posted:

Viktor has fun lore from what I saw. Apparently, he accidentally founds a cult? That'd be fun to see in the series.

there's already a lot of viktor fans in a cult like mentality so this checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Transhumanism and cyborgisation gets a bit funky politically in the real world. There's literal conservatives now saying "step 1 is deciding if you're a man or a woman, step 2 is giving up humanity entirely!"

A lot of stuff asked by that kind of media is also stuff that people with prosthetics already have to go through. "What if the cure for something had to be occasionally upgraded at great cost?" yeah I already know people who have had hip replacements. "What if accepting this 'upgrade' meant you could never heal some other way, and you were basically beholden to a brand?" yeah I know what a cochlear implant is.

Viktor's aesthetic and voice acting in the game is basically discount Doctor Doom shooting death rays, but his lore goes the other way as a well intentioned extremist. The summary at the top of his official page says:

quote:

The herald of a new age of technology, Viktor has devoted his life to the advancement of humankind. An idealist who seeks to lift the people of Zaun to a new level of understanding, he believes that only by embracing a glorious evolution of technology can humanity's full potential be realized. With a body augmented by steel and science, Viktor is zealous in his pursuit of this bright future.

Going through his development history, especially way back when Jayce was first released and had interlocking lore, Viktor was meant to be kind of a Batman-style "they'll pay for stealing my work, they'll all pay" cartoon villain type, but they didn't push that strong enough and so after his release, those who cared about him liked him more as an earnest idealist who got burned by the system.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
There's a bunch of characters where their in-game voicelines don't match their out-of-game narrative stuff. Viktor, as mentioned, but Jinx and Vi are caricatures. Caitlyn at least got a mini-update to her model so it's much less blatant cheesecake, and Jinx and Vi got their Arcane looks as free skins. Well Cait and Jayce did too, but the sisters got the biggest jump over their in-game default appearance, though voice-lines didn't change.

So I'd imagine that Riot would probably like to, eventually, update these characters to be closer to the Arcane depiction, there's a whole slew of others that need it more, for aesthetic, narrative and gameplay reasons.

but also like, the game is literally non-cannon to the universe, which is weird but understandable. Like mario kart.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Excuse me but I'll have you know that not only is every Mario Kart game canon but so are all the sports games.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Hungercane Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIbGbFmp9Lo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It's 4:30am, I'm drunk, and Sting's live performance of "What Could Have Been" is making me ugly cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1klbTzBQpk

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Just swinging by to say that this is yet another recent show that far surpassed Boba Fett, which probably had way more funding, cultural significance, and opportunity to actually be something.

Arcane good. Watch it if you haven't yet.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Grimdude posted:

Just swinging by to say that this is yet another recent show that far surpassed Boba Fett, which probably had way more funding, cultural significance, and opportunity to actually be something.

Arcane good. Watch it if you haven't yet.

Yeah it helps when a work is under a flexible brand that is not a 40 year cultural juggernaut inside of an even bigger one with a tower of babel of oversight levels and a soviet style five year plan

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Arcane is probably one of if not the the most expensive animated series ever lol.

Riot threw insane amounts of money and time at it, compared to almost any other animated TV show out.

As it's pretty much just a multi-million dollar advertising spend for them.

Great show, but it's not some scrappy underdog when loving Riot of all companies is backing it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Searching for Vi and Caitlyn fanart. I'm ashamed of myself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Searching for Vi and Caitlyn fanart. I'm ashamed of myself.

I like the implication that you apparently had to search at all instead of just putting in caitlyn + vi or caitvi or whatever the ship name is into the twitter search. You will find M I L L I O N S of fanart

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I like the implication that you apparently had to search at all instead of just putting in caitlyn + vi or caitvi or whatever the ship name is into the twitter search. You will find M I L L I O N S of fanart

that's what I did. There is a big range of stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YggdrasilTM posted:

that's what I did. There is a big range of stuff.

If you look at it too long you start doing things like "Well, it looks nice but Caitlyn is taller than Vi" or "Vi's arms should be bigger."

(Like I did.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't see many fanarts that don't make Caitlyn a tall queen

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Me. Having no idea about anything related to League of Legends:

I can't believe Vi would hook up with a cop. She used to be cool.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

But she is a really hot cop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Feliday Melody posted:

Me. Having no idea about anything related to League of Legends:

I can't believe Vi would hook up with a cop. She used to be cool.

To make it worse, in LoL she's a cop herself. The 'wild' one because that played better a decade ago, or at least more could pretend it did.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

To make it worse, in LoL she's a cop herself. The 'wild' one because that played better a decade ago, or at least more could pretend it did.

Doesn't the series establish pretty firmly that the "upper town" legal system is a nightmare of abuse and corruption, etc?

Vi spent half her life being beaten and abused by cops in prison, and the cop girl frowns at the prison clerk and that's it?

Sorry, I don't remember any character names except Vi and Jinx :v:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

Doesn't the series establish pretty firmly that the "upper town" legal system is a nightmare of abuse and corruption, etc?

Vi spent half her life being beaten and abused by cops in prison, and the cop girl frowns at the prison clerk and that's it?

Sorry, I don't remember any character names except Vi and Jinx :v:

I mean, Caitlyn DID save Vi's life at least a couple of times.
Also she is supposed to be this by the book, naïve sympathetic newbie cop (and Vi can totally see that since she is having a lot of fun teasing her). That "but you are so sweet" was also about Caitlyn being "soft" and not aiming for the head against Sevika, after all.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 18, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The vibe I get from Vi and Catelyn in Arcane is that they'd takeover the justice system in Piltover in a 'routing out corruption from those in power' way, not in a 'brutally oppressing the marginalised for the state' way

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rarity posted:

The vibe I get from Vi and Catelyn in Arcane is that they'd takeover the justice system in Piltover in a 'routing out corruption from those in power' way, not in a 'brutally oppressing the marginalised for the state' way

This is literally Caitlyn’s backstory from the game lore for her. Vi becoming her partner is traditionally after she’s the Sheriff and started fixing up the corruption.

Vi being the cowboy violent cop was always a thing though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm guessing that part of Vi's arc in Season 2 is going to be adjusting the idea that she no longer has a home in Zaun and coming to grips with becoming a topsider. I'd imagine that at the end of the season, when everyone is a place that's roughly analogous to where they are in the game*, Vi will have grown to tolerate the idea of being an Enforcer, but won't be able to stand anyone other than Caitlyn and vice versa.

*Except Jinx. Because Jinx will be dead.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

1stGear posted:

*Except Jinx. Because Jinx will be dead.

Jinx can’t die, she creates most of Zaun’s street art. She’s their Banksy/Batman.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can/will they kill any of these characters before they make it to the game timeline?

I've heard the show diverges from the canon in some ways but every character I saw after the fact was a game character I was like "oh. That's why nothing happened to them, but Vander, Silco, the corrupt cop, the childhood friends, etc. could actually have interesting fates.' Are we just gonna get season after season of the Vi, Jinx and Ekko action figures bouncing off each other?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm quite sure they could kill them. I can totally see Jinx dead by the end of the next season.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Can/will they kill any of these characters before they make it to the game timeline?

I've heard the show diverges from the canon in some ways but every character I saw after the fact was a game character I was like "oh. That's why nothing happened to them, but Vander, Silco, the corrupt cop, the childhood friends, etc. could actually have interesting fates.' Are we just gonna get season after season of the Vi, Jinx and Ekko action figures bouncing off each other?

There's not really a game timeline, the in-game characters represent different points of the "canon" timeline. Some characters in the show, specifically Jinx and Jayce, have pretty much reached their in-game state at the end of season one and could die any time. The others will most likely be fine until they get to that point.

But honestly, the notion that "will this character die" is the only interesting question is pretty weird. Plenty of interesting things can happen to them! If anything, there's too many characters dying in this show - apart from the main characters, almost everyone we cared about in season one is dead or presumed dead.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

VagueRant posted:

There is no real game timeline. The actual game is like Smash Bros now, a non-canonical "pretend" fight, just that the characters are original. The question is really whether they have individually reached a place that fits their portrayal in the game.

So in principle, Jayce could die, because we've seen him in essentially his in-game form. Viktor wouldn't make sense yet, since he hasn't reached his in-game form. Cait, Vi, and Jinx are probably safe for now, but are closer to their game selves.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

VagueRant posted:

The game is kind of story agnostic really, all the characters are just kinda.... there in a static state so whatever they do in the show will probably be the new canon for when they make a game where the storyline matters like sayyyyy a big MMO for example.

Otherwise I imagine that Arcane the show will have enough time between seasons that we won't actually get that many of them in the grand scheme of things. Like, if they make one season of it every few years and start making shows in other settings as well and release them in a cyclical kinda fashion then we probably won't get oversaturation of Jinx/Vi/Caitlyn, etc just from the sheer limitations of time/interest from the audience forcing them to do different stuff.

Next season will probably be heavily based on the aftermath of this one of course so all of them will be in it alot but after that I could see them having a new big storyline based on the emerging of some of the other big Zaun/Piltover characters mixing with the stuff set up in this one.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Yeah it's definitely possible for a lot of characters to die next season because they've pretty much reached where they are "in game" with a few exceptions.

Also for what it's worth Vander is also a league character. He's Warwick in League. You see his body strung up in Singed's lab in the last episode in a brief shot.

We may not get a lot of seasons of piltover/zaun though. The development time is long and they have a lot of different characters and regions that they'll probably want to explore. That would likely be better than extending one story indefinitely and eventually running out of ideas for it.

They've been hinting at Noxus a lot so it might be something like one more season of Zaun leading into a Noxus story for S3 or they just end Arcane at season 2 or 3 then start a Noxus (or whatever other region) show afterwards.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

While it would make dramatic sense for Jinx to have a tragic end (I mean, she just radiates it through all the episodes of the show), it seems unlikely since she's also effectively the mascot character for the franchise. So far the scriptwriters have been doing a good job at turning my preconceptions upside down, though...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My reasoning for Jinx being doomed is that she doesn't have a viable path to redemption after everything she's done and Arcane's version of Piltover/Zaun isn't one that's going to tolerate the Blue Bomber (she's also a way worse threat). The most I could see them pulling the punch is her being exiled to some place that she can get some therapy and doesn't have access to guns. Anything less would destroy the integrity of the show and the characters.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jinx's fate is gonna be sacrificing herself to save Vi's life, it's the only thing that makes sense for her

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

1stGear posted:

My reasoning for Jinx being doomed is that she doesn't have a viable path to redemption after everything she's done and Arcane's version of Piltover/Zaun isn't one that's going to tolerate the Blue Bomber (she's also a way worse threat). The most I could see them pulling the punch is her being exiled to some place that she can get some therapy and doesn't have access to guns. Anything less would destroy the integrity of the show and the characters.

I think you guys are going to be disappointed, I don’t think they are going to kill their mascot. At most I think we will get an ending where we don’t know if Jinx is alive or not and that she will reconcile with Vi at some point.

I feel like the end of the series is basically going to end at current league lore. The show was made to promote the universe, having a bunch of different things with their own canon would only confuse people.

If anything, the hardest plot thread they have to weave is the one we just talked about. How do you get Vi to be an enforcer? I imagine it’s going to be a thing where she isn’t a cop but she just works with Caitlyn and gets an unofficial title.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The show and game lore are already irreconcilable in a variety of small and big ways. I suspect Riot will eventually declare Arcane to be its own related but distinct setting from League. IMO, at this point the only question is which side of the divide the rest of the IP will end up on.

I also don't know if I would call Jinx the mascot. She's popular, but, like every character is popular. She's not any more prominent in the marketing than Vi or Silco.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vi beats up all the other cops to become the top cop, that's how it works.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Vi beats up all the other cops to become make Caitlyn the top cop, that's how it works.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The last league event they did (World championship?) had several alternate league universes in it. Arcane, their card game, wild rift, team fight tactics and the main league game were all shown to be distinct universes.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

1stGear posted:

The show and game lore are already irreconcilable in a variety of small and big ways. I suspect Riot will eventually declare Arcane to be its own related but distinct setting from League. IMO, at this point the only question is which side of the divide the rest of the IP will end up on.

I also don't know if I would call Jinx the mascot. She's popular, but, like every character is popular. She's not any more prominent in the marketing than Vi or Silco.

I say Jinx is the mascot because she is the icon of the app for Wild Rift on phones which is just mobile league of legends.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

Vi beats up all the other cops to become make Caitlyn the top cop, that's how it works.

Caitlyn is absolutely the top, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Macaluso posted:

Caitlyn is absolutely the top, yeah

:hmmyes: