Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's ultimately going to end up as Goldust's partner?
This poll is closed.
:gerty: Adam Rose :gerty: 30 8.96%
:420: Evan Bourne :420: 29 8.66%
:corsair: Rob Van Dam :corsair: 18 5.37%
:wcc: Vacant :wcc: 40 11.94%
218 65.07%
Total: 335 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Its weird, I basically never hear matches being called even when people in GDTs are commenting on how obvious it is - I've never been that great at picking out voices out when there's background noise so maybe its that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Every once and awhile I notice one wrestler clearly whispering into the ear of another, but that's more of a directorial screwup than the wrestlers'. But yeah, I've never actually heard them. Sometimes when I see people complain about that I wonder how many people are watching with headphones on or something.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

keithy george posted:

I know wrestling lingo is sometimes bad enough as it is, but I don't understand why there isn't some sort of system for calling spots. Watching botchamania, you'll see something like:

"Clothesline"
"Huh?"
"Give me a clothesline"
"Okay"

There's got to be something better than that? It reminded me of the curling at the Winter Olympics. Teams would try to shout tactics, not be able to hear each other, then give up and walk out to the middle of the field to talk to each other all the time.

This seems a rapport issue. Sometimes people haven't worked together and just don't know how each other handle calls, or one of them is an idiot. A decent worker should be able to figure out based on the flow of the match if it makes sense for them to be giving or receiving a clothesline, no.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

keithy george posted:

I know wrestling lingo is sometimes bad enough as it is, but I don't understand why there isn't some sort of system for calling spots. Watching botchamania, you'll see something like:

"Clothesline"
"Huh?"
"Give me a clothesline"
"Okay"

There's got to be something better than that? It reminded me of the curling at the Winter Olympics. Teams would try to shout tactics, not be able to hear each other, then give up and walk out to the middle of the field to talk to each other all the time.

But if calling spots was standardized or made sense, we wouldn't have got the amazing Shelton/Jericho match featuring the debut of Beeboo Crawshanks!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Blasmeister posted:

Its weird, I basically never hear matches being called even when people in GDTs are commenting on how obvious it is - I've never been that great at picking out voices out when there's background noise so maybe its that.

I heard a lot more specific spot calling when I wore headphones while watching, but that's to be expected.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Sandow as the new 3MB member should be really into prog rock. He can carry a wizard bong to the ring, and tell the audience about the fine subtleties of King Crimson.

He can also have a traveling wood paneled basement like micks office, or APA's door, where he can play D&D with different wrestlers.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 16, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Blasmeister posted:

Headphones, duder. Although Cena sometimes make it super obvious by literally talking with his face turned to the shooting camera.

The_Rob posted:

Sandow as the new 3MB member should be really into prog rock. He can carry a wizard bong to the ring, and tell the audience about the fine subtleties of King Crimson.

He can also have a traveling wood paneled basement like micks office, or APA's door, where he can play D&D with different wrestlers.

Finally, we can bring back the Oz gimmick!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The_Rob posted:

I don't think Heath would be able to Enter the Hall of The Crimson King, you got to ease him in.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't think Heath would be able to Enter the Hall of The Crimson King, you got to ease him in.

I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what wrestlers you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what wrestlers you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. Jesus Christ, just don't do it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ray Rougeau *splurt*

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ray Rougeau *splurt*

He's an All-American Boy!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Due to injuries they are running Kane vs Sheamus house show main events and doing DQ finishes. Just beat Kane clean on your drat house shows, he's Kane.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRafTer posted:

Due to injuries they are running Kane vs Sheamus house show main events and doing DQ finishes. Just beat Kane clean on your drat house shows, he's Kane.

What's funny is that he was Bryan's opponent on all the house shows leading into Mania and Bryan beat him clean every single time.

SEScoops has been pretty reliable recently:

quote:

Last week, WWE released 11 people (Brodus Clay, Drew McIntyre, Jinder Mahal, Evan Bourne and others) in an effort to reduce company spending. Now, we can confirm that NXT is the next target of these cost cutting measures.

A well-placed source at NXT has confirmed to us that NXT’s budget has already been cut in terms of production and post-production. The talent roster is about to be evaluated, with a number of cuts set to take place in the next month.

WWE is “staggering” the widespread budget cuts so the company appears to be fiscally responsible to Wall Street and doesn’t set off a widespread panic internally.

I have no idea who is on the NXT roster that could be cut. Graves?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Daniel Bryan posted:

Don't they have a lot of guys who haven't even been seen on TV? I could see them being cut, if WWE sees no upside.

Then again, how much could those guys possibly be making?

They'll probably just cut Zayn and Neville, gotta give Mojo a raise.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Daniel Bryan posted:

What's funny is that he was Bryan's opponent on all the house shows leading into Mania and Bryan beat him clean every single time.

Given the way he's been jobbed out lately, they're probably not so hyped about Mojo anymore.

Maybe this is why they taped more eps of NXT lately so they could stretch their budget a bit.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
If they cut Enzo and/or Big Cass I will continue to not watch NXT outside of their quarterly events

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

I always love the strategy of make your product look bad so that you can convince others that you are still doing ok. It's such a weird way to do business yet every business does this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Don't they have a lot of guys who haven't even been seen on TV? I could see them being cut, if WWE sees no upside.

Then again, how much could those guys possibly be making?

They'll probably just cut Zayn and Neville, gotta give Mojo a raise.

Given who's been getting jobbed out lately or not used, my guesses are:

Corey Graves
CJ Parker
JoJo
Sylvester LeFort
Marcus Louis
Sami Callihan
Angelo Dawkins
and probably a bunch of people we haven't seen at all.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Delsaber posted:

Hopefully it'll work and not turn out to be the prelude to more releases.

Uh oh. What if Heath Slater is cursed? Reforming 3MB could be to wrestling what the Friday night death slot is to network television.

X-Files and later Fringe survived that slot. In order to survive the Friday Night Death Slot, you have to be a supernatural/pseudoscience crime procedural with an arching background mythology.

So what I'm saying is Damien Sandow and Heath Slater need to be repackaged as Mulder and Scully respectively, and Hornswoggle can be a mini Walter Bishop I guess.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Realistically, there is something they can do away with and be alright financially, but WWE Films is basically to Vince what TNA is to the Carter family.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

It was very weird, Kane grabbed a chair and didn't use it, instead kicking Sheamus in the balls for the DQ. Then he beat him up with the chair AFTER the match.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Perigryn posted:

Realistically, there is something they can do away with and be alright financially, but WWE Films is basically to Vince what TNA is to the Carter family.

Oculus was pretty successful tho. I can't see Vince cutting WWE Films so soon after a film made 30 mil on a 5 mil budget

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Perigryn posted:

Doesn't wwe films usually turn a profit though? They don't have the biggest budget films, and they seem to make their money back.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I Before E posted:

I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what wrestlers you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what wrestlers you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. Jesus Christ, just don't do it.
I know this is a joke, but I was just trying to make a Venture Bros joke.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I know this is a joke, but I was just trying to make a Venture Bros joke.

I love that prog episode so much.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sportsgenius86 posted:

Corey Graves
CJ Parker
JoJo
Sylvester LeFort
Marcus Louis
Sami Callihan
Angelo Dawkins

I'd add Aiden English to the list too. Average wrestling, bad gimmick, looks like famished Cesaro. Probably not a ton of upside for him.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Corey Graves
CJ Parker
JoJo
Sylvester LeFort
Marcus Louis
Sami Callihan
Angelo Dawkins

I hope not. I'm still holding out hope for a Switchblade Conspiracy reunion. He could be the new member of the Shield. It would work.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Daniel Bryan posted:

If I had to guess, Graves, Scott Dawson, JoJo and Bull Dempsey seems like the best bet.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't understand what difference cutting anyone on an NXT deal will make. Between the weeks old poo poo about sources saying Vince is overriding Hunter ideas for talent to the dislike toward NXT callups from Vince's boys, I wonder if there's not a bigger pissing match between Vince and Hunter than what's being let on.

The Network really amped up attention and goodwill toward NXT and if people get too high on Hunter's pet project, I could see Vince being passive aggressive about humbling him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The_Rob posted:

Doesn't wwe films usually turn a profit though? They don't have the biggest budget films, and they seem to make their money back.

They distributed, not produced Oculus and I believe WWE Films has never produced a profit but that could be Hollywood accounting.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't understand what difference cutting anyone on an NXT deal will make. Between the weeks old poo poo about sources saying Vince is overriding Hunter ideas for talent to the dislike toward NXT callups from Vince's boys, I wonder if there's not a bigger pissing match between Vince and Hunter than what's being let on.

The Network really amped up attention and goodwill toward NXT and if people get too high on Hunter's pet project, I could see Vince being passive aggressive about humbling him.

Yeah I really can't imagine that NXT costs that much money to produce. They aren't traveling, they are using students to produce the show. It just seems like another weird wwe thing.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I really can't imagine that NXT costs that much money to produce. They aren't traveling, they are using students to produce the show. It just seems like another weird wwe thing.
The most they spent on it lately was the Performance Center and all the related facilities.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

No, WWE Films usually loses tons of money. This is going to be their first profitable year in ages, possibly ever. (Due to the way profits are collected they didn't get their profits for The Call until this year.) They only had a small stake in Oculus too so they won't make a ton from it, the $5 million budget is misleading too as it had a big promotional campaign too.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRafTer posted:

No, WWE Films usually loses tons of money. This is going to be their first profitable year in ages, possibly ever. (Due to the way profits are collected they didn't get their profits for The Call until this year.) They only had a small stake in Oculus too so they won't make a ton from it, the $5 million budget is misleading too as it had a big promotional campaign too.
I think their biggest success was the first Marine movie and then everything else they made lost money, even with reduced budgets before they went with the safer route of just producing/distributing the movies.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is WWE Films a Vince "I can do anything!" thing or a Dunn "I wish I was a cool Hollywood executive" thing?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
They also started the new Lions Gate deal which we don't know the money part of it, but Big Show is going to be in the first film they're producing. Oh boy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is WWE Films a Vince "I can do anything!" thing or a Dunn "I wish I was a cool Hollywood executive" thing?

I feel like it's more of the Vince "We are a legitimate entertainment company, not WRASSLIN" thing, yeah.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah they should get rid of that poo poo then.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Remember when Raw had a cool opening that would get you pumped up for the show?

WWE.com remembers: http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-mashup-raw-goes-across-the-nation-with-todays-superstars-26399976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

NXT does house shows. Even a TV show with minimal expenses is a money loser when it has no US TV deal, just international ones. They have a lot of talent under contract just for NXT, more than could ever be expected to make the main roster. The performance center cost a ton of money in a year they spent a ton of money on the Network, so there's definitely costs they can cut there.

• Locked thread