Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Doing my first stress test on the new CPU. First run was 60s at 100% across six cores. Maximum temperature was indicated to be 52°C. Low was 48°C. The motherboard automatically sped up the fan/pump.

EDIT: After another 30 minutes or so max I saw was about 54°C with maybe 4°C or less of standard deviation. Also running some hard tests on the DDR4 RAM (16GB).

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't bother running the pump variable speed, maxed out it'll barely make noise and you'll get dramatically better cooling performance. The fan might end up needing to run slower so ultimately you'll end up quieter.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

craig588 posted:

Don't bother running the pump variable speed, maxed out it'll barely make noise and you'll get dramatically better cooling performance. The fan might end up needing to run slower so ultimately you'll end up quieter.

I will need to look at the settings for that. I don’t want to get into a control system scenario where one control loop is fighting the other. Setting the pump to always run at maximum speed would not be a problem in that sense.

Those temperatures were with the system running at stock clock.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I want to move to using linux on all my machines, since I've developed a preference for it due to setting up and running a server and using a mac. Is it easy to migrate a physical windows installation to a kvm one? I would just reinstall it, but i'm a bit worried about having to re-register my installation since I don't remember where I kept the key (and I might've used it to register the boot camp installation on my macbook...)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I want to move to using linux on all my machines, since I've developed a preference for it due to setting up and running a server and using a mac. Is it easy to migrate a physical windows installation to a kvm one? I would just reinstall it, but i'm a bit worried about having to re-register my installation since I don't remember where I kept the key (and I might've used it to register the boot camp installation on my macbook...)

VMware converter could definitely do it but I don't know what's available for kvm

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So as far as overclocking the 8600k, am I correct that 85C is the "redline" temperature and 100C is the "never exceed" temperature? Or is that being too conservative? (My understanding is that the CPU will throttle to protect itself but I can imagine some unlikely situations like a catastrophic heatsink failure/separation that could maybe kill the CPU anyways.)

If I overclock I'm going to try not to exceed 75C. If possible I'd like this machine to run well for 3-5 years.

Also this was my first time with this fancy "UEFI" thing instead of the old BIOS that looks pretty much the same whether it's a computer from 1985 or 2005. It works with the mouse and has pretty graphics! :kiddo:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 20, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If the heatsink falls off you are going to get a thermal shutdown extremely quick

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Intel had a demo where they removed the heatsink and it didn't kill the CPU. Of course overclocking probably disables some amount of that protection.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

craig588 posted:

Intel had a demo where they removed the heatsink and it didn't kill the CPU. Of course overclocking probably disables some amount of that protection.

I remember reading in a computer magazine way back where this kid finished his build (I think it was an earlier AMD Athlon processor) and it worked for a minute or so then the computer shut down and he smelled burning - he didn't plug in the heatsink fan and the CPU got so hot not only did it die but it burned the motherboard.

It looks like we've come a long way in terms of over temperature protection.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

craig588 posted:

Overclocking shouldn't disable thermal throttling (at least normal OCing, I don't know about LN2 runs or anything like that). The CPU drops to a low multiplier like 8x (may vary by model) where it can just kind of run without bursting into flames. I diagnosed a goon's AIO cooler with a dead pump over mumble once due to bad game performance. Upon looking at HWInfo he found his CPU that had been OC'd at a local shop hit the max at 99C and then throttled to 800mhz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Three-Phase posted:

I remember reading in a computer magazine way back where this kid finished his build (I think it was an earlier AMD Athlon processor) and it worked for a minute or so then the computer shut down and he smelled burning - he didn't plug in the heatsink fan and the CPU got so hot not only did it die but it burned the motherboard.

It looks like we've come a long way in terms of over temperature protection.

https://youtu.be/NxNUK3U73SI

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yep. First system I built I fried an Athlon. Brought it back to the hardware fair the next day and played dumb and the guy sighed and gave me a new one for free.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Three-Phase posted:

So as far as overclocking the 8600k, am I correct that 85C is the "redline" temperature and 100C is the "never exceed" temperature? Or is that being too conservative? (My understanding is that the CPU will throttle to protect itself but I can imagine some unlikely situations like a catastrophic heatsink failure/separation that could maybe kill the CPU anyways.)

If I overclock I'm going to try not to exceed 75C. If possible I'd like this machine to run well for 3-5 years.

Also this was my first time with this fancy "UEFI" thing instead of the old BIOS that looks pretty much the same whether it's a computer from 1985 or 2005. It works with the mouse and has pretty graphics! :kiddo:

Coffeelake can run pretty hot. 100C is the upper limit, but you will get thermal throttling before any damage to your CPU happens. If you are into your 70s under load I wouldn't sweat it, and if you are doing torture tests with AVX loads for test you won't hurt anything if you get into the 90s.

If you are at 54 degrees during stress test you have lots of thermal headroom, though that depends on what stress test means.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

craig588 posted:

Stock turbo on a 8700k is 4.7GHz. So the silicon is designed for at least that, power and temperature permitting.

Stock turbo on one core is 4.7 and not all 6 cores

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The transistors all happily fire at 4.7GHz is what they're saying.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4670k (OC to 4.2gHz) to an 8700 non K as i'm not really an overclocker. But all the benchmarks I've seen are for the 8700k being driven to hell and back on an AIO cooler rather than the non K. Will my 212 evo need to be retired even for a non K?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cancelbot posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4670k (OC to 4.2gHz) to an 8700 non K as i'm not really an overclocker. But all the benchmarks I've seen are for the 8700k being driven to hell and back on an AIO cooler rather than the non K. Will my 212 evo need to be retired even for a non K?

Intel includes their stock cooler with the non-Ks. The 212 EVO will work fine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cancelbot posted:

212 evo will be totally fine. I have a 8700 non-K running with a Dark Rock 3 air cooler with no issues. The stock cooler is tiny afterall (although they have updated the fin pattern and it has much more surface area than the same boxed HSF from Kaby Lake)

Just as a reminder, its a 65w chip at stock settings, meaning it will boost up to 4.3ghz (95w TDP) on all cores only briefly before settling back to 3.8ghz (at 65w TDP). Thats good, but not great at all. However, if you get a motherboard that supports setting the TDP (which I know ASUS and ASRock do, and I assume the others have too), simply setting the TDP to 95w allows it to run at 4.3ghz alllll day and match the stock 8700K in clocks, without any overclocking/overvolting or messing with any other settings at all. a 212evo will be able to handle 95w, and 6c/12t with Coffee Lake IPC at 4.3ghz is pretty great.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
For those that have delidded, how important is a clean silicone job around the IHS? I was clinical with the liquid metal application but my silicone situation got, uh, messy.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think silicone is a relatively new thing. I'm pretty sure I didn't use any at all when I did an Ivybridge and definitely not when I was doing A64s. It's more important you don't make it too thick than anything else, it's just keeping the IHS there so there's no chance of a sloppy install into the motherboard AFAIK. If you make it thick you're right back into the pre delid situation of poor contact from too much of a gap.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just wish someone would have a brainwave and start making *shims* again. If you're going to void your warranty anyway, why not go bare die with a precisely-machined and dimensioned shim to prevent you from crushing your core?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just wish someone would have a brainwave and start making *shims* again. If you're going to void your warranty anyway, why not go bare die with a precisely-machined and dimensioned shim to prevent you from crushing your core?

Agreed. I tried to keep it pretty thin and I'm having it set with a metal plate on it to press it down. Fingies crossed.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 20, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

willroc7 posted:

Agreed. I tried to keep it pretty thin and I'm having it set with a metal plate on it to press it down. Fingies crossed.

All around the mulberry bush the heatsink chased the core die....

mewse
May 2, 2006

craig588 posted:

I think silicone is a relatively new thing. I'm pretty sure I didn't use any at all when I did an Ivybridge and definitely not when I was doing A64s. It's more important you don't make it too thick than anything else, it's just keeping the IHS there so there's no chance of a sloppy install into the motherboard AFAIK. If you make it thick you're right back into the pre delid situation of poor contact from too much of a gap.

Yeah this matches my understanding. The silicone's only job is to act as an adhesive. Which is kinda weird because outside of this unique situation its primary purpose is to act as a sealant, but we deliberately leave a gap in the seal.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Aqua Computer still makes shims: http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3378

They don't have one for the bigger CL die yet but it's probably just a matter of time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

How common were chipped dies back in the day when Athlon shipped like that? I went the P3 to P4 route so there was always an IHS sitting in there.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I remember, coming from athlon, thinking it was weird to have an IHS.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because the cpu comes with a shim, its called the IHS.

you can buy solid silver ihs replacements though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How common were chipped dies back in the day when Athlon shipped like that? I went the P3 to P4 route so there was always an IHS sitting in there.

p3 had a bare die

athlon dies chipped a lot which is why they put the foam pads around them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

repiv posted:

Aqua Computer still makes shims: http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3378

They don't have one for the bigger CL die yet but it's probably just a matter of time.

I really wish they'd contact Noctua and get an NHD15 to fit. I don't want massive overclocks and dropping even 10C or so would let it run passive most of the time for me.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

p3 had a bare die

athlon dies chipped a lot which is why they put the foam pads around them.

I had Slot 1, baby

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

In more fun news, don't forget to apply security patches to your processors: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You probably would have needed to re-register it anyway, with such a significant hardware change.

Just buy cheap Win 7/8 OEM keys from eBay or SA Mart and forget about this worry. I registered my Win 10 with £5 Win 7 Pro key I bought from eBay.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I finally scored a 8700k and debating on sending it to Silicon Lottery for them to delid and find 'stable' seetings for me. They have been around for years, so it seems like a good service.

If so, any recommendations on cooling after?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big case: Scythe Fuma Small case: Corsair H110/115

If you don't care about noise 212 Evo and run the fans loud.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

In more fun news, don't forget to apply security patches to your processors: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

Why is that garbage included in the first place?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Power savings

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Why is that garbage included in the first place?

All the power management stuff runs through it, though why they didn't do more to de-couple the remote management stuff from the internal components is a mystery that they are under no requirement to divulge. Some of the folks doing research on this stuff discovered a flag you can set on the motherboard that will disable most of the dangerous functionality but it isn't documented or published anywhere. It seems to be included as a requirement for government/milspec contracts. If it works as a mitigation for this they might end up forced in to disclosing and documenting it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I really wish they'd contact Noctua and get an NHD15 to fit. I don't want massive overclocks and dropping even 10C or so would let it run passive most of the time for me.

Why does the HND15 not fit with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
No one except I think for EK has made a heatsink or block for IHSless cooling. Noctua seems like one of the most likely to do it though if anyone else was going to.