Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Has anyone ever gotten Dell to waive a restocking fee? I ordered a U3415W at the end of November. It's really great looking, but I don't know if it's really the monitor for me. I chatted with Dell and they said it's a 15% restocking fee. At that point I'd rather sell it to a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
What are your problems with it? I was thinking about it maybe in three months time when I do a new build. The price is putting me off slightly, though. I'm not going to game and just want a fairly large, good looking monitor.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

rage-saq posted:

X34s are back on Amazon for not-price-gouging 1274! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GNX4SE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1TZFA7P8W8BN7&coliid=I2EBHY7455KRZS
I have to think that there might be a little bit of a price drop coming soon to like 1100/1000 maybe for a post christmas day sale?

That would be cool for the people that are looking to get one but I can't imagine they'd knock the price down at all considering how fast they sell out whenever they show up.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's a 3rd party seller too, so no Prime and no awesome returns policy.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

KakerMix posted:

That would be cool for the people that are looking to get one but I can't imagine they'd knock the price down at all considering how fast they sell out whenever they show up.

I know, its almost making me think of rolling the dice that maybe the XR341CK will be ok with an nvidia card... not so sure that g-sync is worth $400

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rage-saq posted:

I know, its almost making me think of rolling the dice that maybe the XR341CK will be ok with an nvidia card... not so sure that g-sync is worth $400

Yeah, that monitor literally got me to swap from NV to AMD. G-sync's main advantages these days are working with multiple cards and windowed fullscreen (correct me if Freesync has rolled those in by now) and Freesync seems to be catching up rapidly. Neither of those are as big a deal as that massive price disparity.

...Holy hell that's an XR341CK for less than it's ever been on Amazon, but it's a third party. God drat it. It's~550 in difference right now. Yes I will take enough money to buy a Fury outright for 25 Hz and a slightly lesser solution that seems to be getting good support in the long term.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

DeaconBlues posted:

What are your problems with it? I was thinking about it maybe in three months time when I do a new build. The price is putting me off slightly, though. I'm not going to game and just want a fairly large, good looking monitor.

It's specific to me and my fault - I should've really thought it through more. I don't have great eyesight, so I have icons and text bigger than normal - could probably stand to increase the size a little, even, so I can back a bit more farther away. Anyway, in trying to use the U3415W as one monitor, I find two Excel windows next to each other doesn't give me the room that I like, as compared to having Excel open on two different (24") monitors. I guess I thought I'd just adapt, but I'm about two weeks in and I just can't get used to it. I tend to alt-tab a lot if I have to switch to Outlook or something similar, instead of having it open next to Excel or Word, mainly because I like things full screen and just big. But Outlook maximized on this monitor has a lot of empty space. When I have it half the screen and something else half the screen, it's a bit smaller than if it were maximized on a 24" (or a 27", which I may try next) obviously, but to a point that I'm not comfortable with it.

Marklar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 16, 2015

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks. I was kind of undecided whether to splash out on something like the U3415W, as I didn't know if I could justify the cost vs the amount of time I'll spend using it (after work, at home). I think the prices after Christmas will have a bearing on it and may end up with just a large 1440 IPS. Something like the P2416D perhaps.

Edit: just realised the Dell I posted is only 24". Something like this would suit me better.

DeaconBlues fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 16, 2015

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I'd say definitely try to check it out if you can - see if they will let you play with it using real world scenarios - multiple windows/programs open. The closest place to me that actually displays it is about an hour away, but they've been out of stock until last week (naturally).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Marklar posted:

I'd say definitely try to check it out if you can - see if they will let you play with it using real world scenarios - multiple windows/programs open. The closest place to me that actually displays it is about an hour away, but they've been out of stock until last week (naturally).

Yeah, and even if you can't see an ultrawide in person, remember that 27" 2560x1440 is the same size and everything, just narrower. A lot of people think ultrawides are the coolest things ever (me included), but make sure you think through your use cases and check whether there's something that would make it not work for you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
LG just announced its new monitors for 2016:

34UC98 - 34-inch, 3440x1440, IPS, FreeSync, curved, Thunderbolt 2
34UC88 - 34-inch, 3440x1440, FreeSync (maybe not IPS, though? they don't say), curved
34UM88 - 34-inch, 3440x1440, flat
27UD68 - 27-inch, 4k, flat, "gaming"
27UD88 - 27-inch, 4k, flat, USB-C
24MP88 - "virtually invisible bezel"

Plus a 2.16 pound 15-inch laptop in a 14-inch form factor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

34UC88 - 34-inch, 3440x1440, FreeSync (maybe not IPS, though? they don't say), curved

LG makes the 3440x1440 IPS panels iirc so I think the Freesync one should be IPS.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xthetenth posted:

LG makes the 3440x1440 IPS panels iirc so I think the Freesync one should be IPS.

Yeah, that's what I thought, just really hard to tell the difference between the 34UC98 and 34UC88, maybe it's just Thunderbolt? I'm surprised they're stratifying the market so minutely.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought, just really hard to tell the difference between the 34UC98 and 34UC88, maybe it's just Thunderbolt? I'm surprised they're stratifying the market so minutely.

They already did, this is a refresh of a similarly fragmented line. There's a thunderbolt and non version of a bunch of screens now.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
What's the hottest 24" IPS display right now?

I'm looking for 16:10 and at least 75hz refresh rate. Low input lag is a MUST. I keep seeing the Dell U2415 on sale for around ~$240 and it sounds great except it's capped out at 60hz and I can't find any confirmation online that it can be overclocked to 75hz or not.

Right now I have a Dell 2209WA which I overclock to 75hz and I think it was perfect, its starting to die though and 22" feels small to me these days.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

mediaphage posted:

these names are too catchy

StickFigs posted:

I'm looking for 16:10 and at least 75hz refresh rate. Low input lag is a MUST. I keep seeing the Dell U2415 on sale for around ~$240 and it sounds great except it's capped out at 60hz and I can't find any confirmation online that it can be overclocked to 75hz or not.

Right now I have a Dell 2209WA which I overclock to 75hz and I think it was perfect, its starting to die though and 22" feels small to me these days.

why do you need 75hz? that dell is probably the best 24 inch 16:10 monitor you're going to find (i don't think there are that many anymore, for shame) but i doubt you'll be able to overclock it.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 16, 2015

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xthetenth posted:

They already did, this is a refresh of a similarly fragmented line. There's a thunderbolt and non version of a bunch of screens now.

Ah, fair enough, I didn't realize that. Thanks.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Generic Monk posted:

why do you need 75hz? that dell is probably the best 24 inch 16:10 monitor you're going to find (i don't think there are that many anymore, for shame) but i doubt you'll be able to overclock it.

I want 75hz because ive become used to 75 FPS and would notice if I got capped down at 60. Ideally I'd like UNLIMITED but 75hz is my lowest tolerance as it stands right now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just buy one of those Korean single-input panels then at that price.

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, and even if you can't see an ultrawide in person, remember that 27" 2560x1440 is the same size and everything, just narrower. A lot of people think ultrawides are the coolest things ever (me included), but make sure you think through your use cases and check whether there's something that would make it not work for you.

A good tool

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

A good tool

2560x1440 is 16:9 not 16:10 though, a 34" 1440p Ultrawide is literally just a 27" 1440p monitor that is 32% wider but the same height.

http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Wasabi the J posted:

I'd like to learn more about this unless you're pulling my leg.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

StickFigs posted:

Unfortunately what you're looking for doesn't really exist anymore, no one makes a 24" 1920x1200 monitor that will do more than 60hz.

You'll need to decide what's more important to you 16:10 or a higher refresh rate.

It sounds like you've already looked at what's available in the 16:10 space.

If you want a higher refresh then you have a few options.

The cheapest would be a Korean import (Crossover 2795 QHD) this gives you a 16:9 2560x1440 IPS screen that can OC to somewhere around 95-110hz for around $300.

The other options would be a Freesync/GSync monitor which you can get in 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3440x1440 both IPS and TN and starting around $500 and going up to over $1k.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Krailor posted:

Unfortunately what you're looking for doesn't really exist anymore, no one makes a 24" 1920x1200 monitor that will do more than 60hz.

You'll need to decide what's more important to you 16:10 or a higher refresh rate.

It sounds like you've already looked at what's available in the 16:10 space.

If you want a higher refresh then you have a few options.

The cheapest would be a Korean import (Crossover 2795 QHD) this gives you a 16:9 2560x1440 IPS screen that can OC to somewhere around 95-110hz for around $300.

The other options would be a Freesync/GSync monitor which you can get in 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3440x1440 both IPS and TN and starting around $500 and going up to over $1k.

Well gently caress.

So 16:10 is just done for? What options would I have at 24" 16:9 other than the Korean import?

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

StickFigs posted:

Well gently caress.

So 16:10 is just done for? What options would I have at 24" 16:9 other than the Korean import?

The Crossover is a 27" screen.

And pretty much you'll be looking at 16:9, as it's closer to the HD video standards.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StickFigs posted:

Well gently caress.

16:10 is pretty dead in the water especially when looking at additional features.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I always preferred 16:10 too, but after switching to a 27-inch 1440p screen, I've forgotten all that aspect ratio nonsense (I know you were looking for a 24-inch display, just noting this).

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

ThatOneGuy posted:

The Crossover is a 27" screen.

And pretty much you'll be looking at 16:9, as it's closer to the HD video standards.

Oops you're right.

I guess I'm looking for a 24" 1920x1080 IPS display that can do 75hz either out of the box or overclocked then. Still gotta have that low input lag.

That is unless TN panels are just as good as IPS now it's been a while since I bought a monitor.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What is your use case? I'm just curious.

And TN had improved, but IPS still blows it completely out of the water.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

App13 posted:

What is your use case? I'm just curious.

And TN had improved, but IPS still blows it completely out of the water.

Ah okay. So I'm definitely going for IPS.

I do pretty much everything on my PC: Games, writing code, 3D modeling, Photoshop.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

StickFigs posted:

Oops you're right.

I guess I'm looking for a 24" 1920x1080 IPS display that can do 75hz either out of the box or overclocked then. Still gotta have that low input lag.

That is unless TN panels are just as good as IPS now it's been a while since I bought a monitor.

TN is not as good as IPS. Also I looked around for a 75Hz+ 1920x1080 IPS display and I could only find this one but I was unable to find any other source that would confirm the 75Hz refresh rate, not even Lenovo's own site lists this monitor as existing and there is another monitor that looks exactly the same but says it has a 60Hz refresh rate so I'm wondering if the 75Hz listed on the one in the link is in error. :(

There are plenty of ~24" high refresh rate TN monitors, but they simply won't deliver the image quality of an IPS screen, your only sure fire option is a 1440p IPS screen, probably the best option there is one of the overclockable Korean export panels, they can do 96Hz easy, sometimes as high as 120Hz but that is rare. They are very cheap though. If you get one of those the real question is if you have a powerful enough machine to push 75+ FPS at 1440p, that would pretty much mean a 980 Ti or R9 Fury/Fury X.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

^Depends highly on the game.

CSGO, warframe, and other non-AAA titles run at >96fps at 1440p with a stock 970

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
HP has a 25 inch IPS monitor that overclocks to 75hz: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...g-ah-ips-2.html

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

mediaphage posted:

I always preferred 16:10 too, but after switching to a 27-inch 1440p screen, I've forgotten all that aspect ratio nonsense (I know you were looking for a 24-inch display, just noting this).

I really think a lot of the importance of 16:10 1920x1200 was the second half, not the first. 1440 pixels is a heck of a lot of visual good enough at 1:1 scaling. Unless you get 4K at 1:1 and stack windows with a 40+ inch screen, 1440 is enough for most everything. It's like how 4:3 is really good at tiny resolutions because it displays one window great, at a certain point 16:9 is plenty tall and going wider helps more than taller, at least in my opinion.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

StickFigs posted:

Well gently caress.

StickFigs posted:

Ah okay. So I'm definitely going for IPS.

I do pretty much everything on my PC: Games, writing code, 3D modeling, Photoshop.

Is there a particular reason that you want to stick with 24"? It doesn't seem to make much sense to downgrade from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 just because you want to keep a 24" monitor.

If you do a bunch of stuff besides gaming you should really consider upgrading to the 27" Crossover. It's an excellent monitor and you really can't beat it for the price.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xthetenth posted:

I really think a lot of the importance of 16:10 1920x1200 was the second half, not the first. 1440 pixels is a heck of a lot of visual good enough at 1:1 scaling. Unless you get 4K at 1:1 and stack windows with a 40+ inch screen, 1440 is enough for most everything. It's like how 4:3 is really good at tiny resolutions because it displays one window great, at a certain point 16:9 is plenty tall and going wider helps more than taller, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
I literally only play video games on my monitor. I have dual-screen 23" 1920x1080 60Hz IPS monitors but I want to upgrade to something larger and widescreen.

What am I looking for here? 21:9 3440x1440 >120Hz ?

Does that even exist?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I literally only play video games on my monitor. I have dual-screen 23" 1920x1080 60Hz IPS monitors but I want to upgrade to something larger and widescreen.

What am I looking for here? 21:9 3440x1440 >120Hz ?

Does that even exist?

Acer X34 is the closest to that at 100Hz (built in) overclocked.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, 3440x1440 is a lot of pixels to push at the moment, both for the cards and the monitor side of things, although in the next couple of years it should get better. In the meantime if you can get something with adaptive sync with a potential of 100Hz like the X34 that seems like a good compromise (though you certainly pay for it).

You might as well look at 2560x1440 if refresh rate is a priority, that's still a good size for gaming and there are more options at that level.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

A lot of pixels to push is one of those qualified statements. A 970 or 2/390 is enough card to push most games at a consistent 45+ fps with near top settings, and they're cheap as chips compared to the screen. It's trying to drive one of them at a high framerate at top settings that's a killer. 3440x1440@100 Hz is less bandwidth than 2560x1440@144 Hz after all (although that's a pretty rough way to estimate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, I mean I have a 980Ti pushing an 34" ultrawide and I think it's fantastic, but since the monitor is maxed at 60Hz I couldn't say if the refresh rate would be higher, though it probably will in the next couple of card release cycles even if AMD are a little behind nVidia at that bleeding edge at the moment.