Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Plainly false. Saudi Arabia was more or less disinterested in nukes until it became obvious that nobody's going to do anything about Iran getting one. Nobody is afraid of an Israeli nuclear first strike. Israel doesn't give a poo poo about anything beyond its borders and never has, so long as the Straits of Tiran remain open and nobody's shooting at them. And none of the Arabs care about the Palestinians either. Everyone except Turkey and Qatar was on board with Protective Edge this past summer, especially Egypt.

Iran wants a bomb because it gives it a leg up in the region against its actual rivals, which are Turkey and Saudi Arabia, and to protect its regime from external interference.

e: besides which, most of the Middle East countries find Israel to be very convenient. The people in those countries hate Israel, but they have little to no say in what their governments actually do.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah there's a good loving reason nobody fucks with NK, and it's not their state of the art armed forces.

That has more to do with the fact with they're protected by China, and no one wants to invade China to get to NK.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Also, as has already been pointed out, if you want a bomb that can go far at all, you need a delivery system and a bomb that has been miniaturized to some extent, which is a lot harder than simply building a bomb.

Pretty sure Iran could figure out a way to strap it under an F-4 or F-14. That's good enough to gently caress up the Strait.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Israel doesn't give a poo poo about anything beyond its borders and never has, so long as the Straits of Tiran remain open and nobody's shooting at them.

This patently false statement is such a hilarious can of worms.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vindolanda posted:

France's idea of NATO compliance is giving Exocets to south american maniacs. If there is (which is unlikely) a regulation about putting things in English, they'd probably ignore it.

ADLA pilot briefings are actually in English because of NATO. If the mission also involve non pilots (like the fuscoms) the pilots get their briefing in English, and the other personnel in French.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

This patently false statement is such a hilarious can of worms.

What are you saying? Are you saying that Israel would fly attack aircraft without permission over the airspace of a neighbor to strike, say, a nuclear plant in another country?

Preposterous.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 11, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm feeling lucky

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently the Air Force is in some hot water over wasting 500 million on buying and refurbishing C-27Js for the Afghan air force. And then turning them into 32 grand worth of scrap.

quote:

A U.S. government watchdog agency is asking the Air Force to explain why it decided to destroy 16 aircraft initially bought for the Afgan air force and turn them into $32,000 of scrap metal instead of finding other ways to salvage nearly $500 million in U.S. funds spent on the program.

John Sopko, special inspector general for Afghanistan reconstruction, asked Air Force Secretary Deborah James to document all decisions made about the destruction of the 16 C-27J aircraft that were stored at Kabul International Airport for years, and what the service planned to do with four additional planes now in Germany.

Sopko's office has been investigating the matter since December 2013 after numerous non-profit groups and military officials raised questions about funds wasted on the planes.

The U.S. government spent $468 million to buy and refurbish 20 older C-27A airplanes from Alenia, a unit of Italy's Finmeccanica SpA , but later canceled the program because a lack of spare parts was severely limiting their availability for military use. Instead, the Pentagon decided to buy four larger C-130 planes built by Lockheed Martin Corp to do the work.

Sopko asked Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and James about their plans for the remaining four aircraft, which were never sent to Afghanistan, noting that his team had been due to inspect the planes.

In an interview last year with NBC News, Sopko said it was unclear if the incident was criminal fraud or mismanagement, but the waste was not an isolated incident in Afghanistan.

The Pentagon's inspector general has also investigated the issue, which the non-profit group Project on Government Oversight (POGO) calls "a shining example of the billions wasted in Afghanistan."

In January 2013, the Pentagon's inspector general office said the aircraft flew only 234 of the 4,500 required hours from January through September 2012. The office also said about $200 million were needed to buy spare parts for the planes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Back Hack posted:

That has more to do with the fact with they're protected by China, and no one wants to invade China to get to NK.

And they're protected by China because China doesn't want a massive humanitarian crisis popping up right on their border.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

VikingSkull posted:

I kinda got the vibe a few years ago that Iran was actively pursuing a bomb, but I think the continued assassination of their scientists and Stuxnet have cooled that off somewhat. Throw the threat from ISIS in and they seem more willing to play ball lately.

The whole IS/ISIL/ISIS/DAESH/whatever the gently caress we're calling it this week crisis has actually given the Iranians opportunity to expand their nuclear program. Iranian diplomats are tying US-Iranian cooperation on ISIS to US concessions on enrichment.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/266790/speedreads-iran-offers-to-help-defeat-isis--if-the-us-lifts-nuclear-sanctions

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Party Plane Jones posted:

Apparently the Air Force is in some hot water over wasting 500 million on buying and refurbishing C-27Js for the Afghan air force. And then turning them into 32 grand worth of scrap.

The answer to this is: "it's such a small amount of money compared to what we usually waste, so we didn't think about it" right?

(I'm sure Canada was considering buying those but literally took too long to decide if they actually wanted them or not.) :canada:

As for Iran - I think they want nuclear power, but with a civil nuclear power industry comes good latency to build a bomb, (like Japan has) should they need it. It should be said that the treaty that controls nuclear weapons has a very specific clause defending the rights of nations to pursue nuclear power for peaceful purposes, including the enrichment of uranium to 20%. The Iranians have been following that treaty, as multiple UN inspection teams have confirmed.

What's really happening here is that Israel does not want Iran to have this nuclear latency, since it provided a theoretical check on Israel's ability to do whatever the gently caress it wants. Thus, Israel and the USA have been doing everything they can to derail Iran's civil program. Really, even in the worst case scenario, (Iran has the bomb and missiles to deliver it) the results are not that bad for Israel - you get a cold war in the Mideast. That really just puts a check on Israel's power there - if you believe the Mexican standoff logic of the 'big' Cold War, nothing else happens.

So really the whole thing is America and Israel vs. Iran, to see if the first group can strong-arm the second. The threat is actually minimal, but is being played up by those groups who have something they want at stake, in the same way Russia painted Assad as a hero standing up to rebels (because he still supported the Russian naval base on the Mediterranean.) I suspect the whole thing plays well for the Iranians domestically; suddenly a legal program for peaceful purposes is being attacked by the Great Satans via intelligence shenanigans, just confirming what Iranian leaders have always been saying about them. You could also say that Iran could get all sorts of poo poo out of abandoning the program through negotiation - namely its economy returning to the world at large, another big win for Iran.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

The whole IS/ISIL/ISIS/DAESH/whatever the gently caress we're calling it this week crisis has actually given the Iranians opportunity to expand their nuclear program. Iranian diplomats are tying US-Iranian cooperation on ISIS to US concessions on enrichment.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/266790/speedreads-iran-offers-to-help-defeat-isis--if-the-us-lifts-nuclear-sanctions

We already did them (Iran) a favor, by hitting Khorason, which was a bigger threat to the Iranian government than it ever was to Western interests.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mortabis posted:

Israel doesn't give a poo poo about anything beyond its borders and never has, so long as the Straits of Tiran remain open and nobody's shooting at them.

Do you mean the God-defined borders of Israel, which encompasses the lands between the Nile and the Euphrates?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

Do you mean the God-defined borders of Israel, which encompasses the lands between the Nile and the Euphrates?

Is that actually in the contract God made with Jacob or is that something Christians tacked onto the new Testament?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Hexyflexy posted:

I totally agree, at this point building a reasonable thermonuclear bomb is basically about whether you can get fuel, and how much cash you can drop on the project. We were doing thermo nukes in the 60s, but thankfully it's still a pain in the arse to generate fuel, well, and bits of neutron generators.

Thermonuclear is more complicated than simple fission and there is no reason to believe anyone outside the Big Five + Israel have the capability to build a fusion bomb at this point. It's somewhat moot unless you really need huge yield and outside World War III mountain-melting scenarios huge yields aren't really necessary.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The answer to this is: "it's such a small amount of money compared to what we usually waste, so we didn't think about it" right?

(I'm sure Canada was considering buying those but literally took too long to decide if they actually wanted them or not.) :canada:

As for Iran - I think they want nuclear power, but with a civil nuclear power industry comes good latency to build a bomb, (like Japan has) should they need it. It should be said that the treaty that controls nuclear weapons has a very specific clause defending the rights of nations to pursue nuclear power for peaceful purposes, including the enrichment of uranium to 20%. The Iranians have been following that treaty, as multiple UN inspection teams have confirmed.

What's really happening here is that Israel does not want Iran to have this nuclear latency, since it provided a theoretical check on Israel's ability to do whatever the gently caress it wants. Thus, Israel and the USA have been doing everything they can to derail Iran's civil program. Really, even in the worst case scenario, (Iran has the bomb and missiles to deliver it) the results are not that bad for Israel - you get a cold war in the Mideast. That really just puts a check on Israel's power there - if you believe the Mexican standoff logic of the 'big' Cold War, nothing else happens.

So really the whole thing is America and Israel vs. Iran, to see if the first group can strong-arm the second. The threat is actually minimal, but is being played up by those groups who have something they want at stake, in the same way Russia painted Assad as a hero standing up to rebels (because he still supported the Russian naval base on the Mediterranean.) I suspect the whole thing plays well for the Iranians domestically; suddenly a legal program for peaceful purposes is being attacked by the Great Satans via intelligence shenanigans, just confirming what Iranian leaders have always been saying about them. You could also say that Iran could get all sorts of poo poo out of abandoning the program through negotiation - namely its economy returning to the world at large, another big win for Iran.

You don't enrich anywhere near 20% for civilian power purposes, nor do you need quite a bit of the other associated stuff mentioned before that has no other non-bomb purpose. There is a lot less overlap between nuclear power generation and nuclear weaponry (materials/tech/expertise and so on) than people realize. For that matter they've been repeatedly offered the deal of just having secured civilian fuel (and medical isotopes etc) given to them, which is the standard non-proliferation-compliant option other nations with civilian nuke power have chosen. It has been rejected out of hand. Multiple inspection teams have confirmed they haven't been able to see nearly what they think they need to, including a facility that mysteriously just exploded.

I disagree with pretty much everything else in your post but whatev this ain't the place

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Snowdens Secret posted:

I disagree with pretty much everything else in your post but whatev this ain't the place

I agree (that this is not the place) so - what's the deal with 20% enrichment being allowed under the NNPT, then? I know civilian reactors usually make do with much less enrichment. Is this cap for research purposes, or something?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is that actually in the contract God made with Jacob or is that something Christians tacked onto the new Testament?

God to Moses, at Exodus 23:31 posted:

I will establish your borders from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean Sea, and from the desert to the Euphrates River. I will give into your hands the people who live in the land, and you will drive them out before you.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Thermonuclear is more complicated than simple fission and there is no reason to believe anyone outside the Big Five + Israel have the capability to build a fusion bomb at this point. It's somewhat moot unless you really need huge yield and outside World War III mountain-melting scenarios huge yields aren't really necessary.

I get your point, but thing is, stuff has changed ( unless you're trying to make the biggest bang in the smallest space so your MIRVs work, which, well you know your stuff, is loving expensive ).

Biggest fucker for thermonuclear stuff is the equations of state of plutonium ( and all the reflection casing and the ablation implosion, but if your country has a few physics geniuses, you'll figure that poo poo out, India did, Pakistan did and sold it everywhere ). Till recently that poo poo was classified up to hell, and if you even look at the public specs on it, it's hilarious.

Imagine a metal that, while motherfucking toxic and radioactive, you've worked out a critical radius and start to machine your pit. You heat it up a bit too much. Crystalline structure changes ( I think it has five! ) and it shrinks below critical radius. Bye bye.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Hexyflexy posted:

I get your point, but thing is, stuff has changed ( unless you're trying to make the biggest bang in the smallest space so your MIRVs work, which, well you know your stuff, is loving expensive ).

Biggest fucker for thermonuclear stuff is the equations of state of plutonium ( and all the reflection casing and the ablation implosion, but if your country has a few physics geniuses, you'll figure that poo poo out, India did, Pakistan did and sold it everywhere ). Till recently that poo poo was classified up to hell, and if you even look at the public specs on it, it's hilarious.

Imagine a metal that, while motherfucking toxic and radioactive, you've worked out a critical radius and start to machine your pit. You heat it up a bit too much. Crystalline structure changes ( I think it has five! ) and it shrinks below critical radius. Bye bye.

don't forget it's pyrophoric, and will ignite in oxygen environments if heated/ground to a fine dust! Then again, the Manhattan Project still succeeded despite some crazy incidents itself.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Party Plane Jones posted:

Does anyone have a TLDR on why nothing involving the C-27J and the United States makes any goddamn sense?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The LA Ground Speed story as told by the guy that did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7EhdaPo5W8

God he tells it better than it reads.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Watching some of the footage of the Indonesian military celebration this month I gotta say. The Su-27 is one sweet looking aircraft, how are Australian F-35's going to stack up against them (assuming they can get airborne without exploding)?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Execu-speak posted:

Watching some of the footage of the Indonesian military celebration this month I gotta say. The Su-27 is one sweet looking aircraft, how are Australian F-35's going to stack up against them (assuming they can get airborne without exploding)?

Lets ask Dr Carlo Kopp

Haha holy poo poo, I just felt an itty bitty baby tumor form from saying that

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

jaegerx posted:

I will never, EVER, get tired of that story.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Execu-speak posted:

It won't come to that because of this: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20140811/NEWS08/308110050/U-S-Australia-sign-25-year-deal-Marines-Darwin

And this: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/us-eyes-perth-naval-base-20120801-23fy9.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Hexyflexy posted:

Pakistan does not have thermonuclear weapons, nor are there indications it has designs or capability for them. Successful fusion detonation remains difficult, particularly if you can't or won't test like the current fusion-capable nations did. See: http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/is-india-building-thermonuclear-weapons/

Nebakenezzer posted:

I agree (that this is not the place) so - what's the deal with 20% enrichment being allowed under the NNPT, then? I know civilian reactors usually make do with much less enrichment. Is this cap for research purposes, or something?

Research purposes and the quantities involved in said are very small

jaegerx posted:

The Navy version involves a CVBG whose oiler broke and all the ships are calling out their remaining days (or hours) of fuel burn at x bell, when the battlegroup Sturgeon at PD decides to be a smartass

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Iraqi Aeromachines

Here's one before it got the Iraqi paint scheme

Daesh keeps shooting down innocent Iraqi army mi-35s and Bell 407s.
It's my humble opinion that Saudi shouldn't have given them so many manpads.

Iraqi Mi-28, I'm not sure if any have been shot down

What's this? A jet airplane with an Iraqi flag?? Are we going to allow this???? ( A little bit old news but I didn't see any pictures posted)

The greaziest su-25 rolling out.

Jet Rangers

Now that they have a few aircraft, all the Iraqi military needs is an officer corps that isn't completely corrupt and incompetent, a constitution that isn't meant to lead to the eventual dissolution of the state, and some rain. Hopefully they can stop this ISIS advance and buy some time to get a few more soldiers trained and some logistics set up.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I keep forgetting how gigantic and especially tall the Hind is

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pakistan does not have thermonuclear weapons, nor are there indications it has designs or capability for them. Successful fusion detonation remains difficult, particularly if you can't or won't test like the current fusion-capable nations did. See: http://thediplomat.com/2014/06/is-india-building-thermonuclear-weapons/

You're right, and thanks for correcting me. I'll leave one little thermonuclear story I find funny as hell. This book is really cool and Kip Thorne is a legitimate physics genius.

When he was studying radiation pressure in collapsing stars when he was a post grad, he was finding it hard to work out whether plasma would be stable against X-ray pressure. At the time there was some cooperation between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, and physicists would regularly visit in both directions. He asked a Russian on one trip if he knew if it was a stable. He blanked him and just said, 'yep, you're a friend but I'm not talking about it though'.

He went back to the U.S. confused as gently caress, and asked an American professor, who did the exact same thing.

It only occurred to him later how they knew.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

jaegerx posted:

This was glorious.

I've been reading and watching videos about the SR-71 in the past week and what an amazing aircraft it is. I mean I would say without any hesitation that it is the greatest achievement in aviation, ever. When I first read the sentence "the standard procedure in case of a hostile missile launch was simply to accelerate and outfly the missile" I had literally this face on: :psyduck:

An interesting question: could the SR-71 be modified to carry nuclear weapons for example? I mean that would terrify the gently caress out of everyone. You can see it, but there's nothing you can do to bring it down. You just follow it until it overflies you and drops a loving nuke on your head.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

OhYeah posted:

An interesting question: could the SR-71 be modified to carry nuclear weapons for example? I mean that would terrify the gently caress out of everyone. You can see it, but there's nothing you can do to bring it down. You just follow it until it overflies you and drops a loving nuke on your head.

ICBMs made that kinda thing redundant. There's no point, you can see those coming, but at Mach 10, good luck stopping the warheads.

You kinda can, if you accept nuking the gently caress out of yourself to do it, which is why the USA gave up on it, waste of cash. Sprint is still the coolest loving missile ever though.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Hexyflexy posted:

ICBMs made that kinda thing redundant. There's no point, you can see those coming, but at Mach 10, good luck stopping the warheads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g

I'll just leave that here for you guys.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like Oliver, but that segment was pretty dumb.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Baloogan posted:

I like Oliver, but that segment was pretty dumb.

In what sense? I think the cases that he cited were pretty dumb. Perhaps you meant this?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OhYeah posted:

From a Ben Rich paper, The Strategic Aspect of Supercruising Flight:

No idea how serious the idea was but it's super cool.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

xthetenth posted:

From a Ben Rich paper, The Strategic Aspect of Supercruising Flight:

No idea how serious the idea was but it's super cool.

If the Soviet Union thought that the Black Bird could be carrying a nuclear payload they might have taken the reconnaissance flights a little differently

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Mach 3+ stores separation testing would have been something to see.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

OhYeah posted:

In what sense? I think the cases that he cited were pretty dumb. Perhaps you meant this?
The fundamental idea that we don't use nuclear weapons is flawed, because deterrence is their main use, and paying a little money regularly in order to avoid having to pay a whole lot of money later if the need arises is called "insurance", not insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Mach 3+ stores separation testing would have been something to see.

They did do high speed separation testing for the D-21 drone. They collided and the copilot drowned after the crew landed in the ocean.