Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

betterinsodapop posted:

What do you guys expect to pay, per pound, for fresh, locally roasted coffee?
I'm paying almost $20/lb and go through it in about a week. I'm pretty OK with that, and the coffee is excellent, but just trying to figure out if it's on the expensive side, or that's the norm/acceptable.

I've been using this mom and pop roastery and they are excellent. I think the guy used to work at Ritual or something but got laid off for covid so started his own thing. $23 for 2lbs delivery if you do a monthly subscription. That's 32 ounces.

https://birdandbearcoffee.com/collections/fresh-roasted-coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

betterinsodapop posted:

What do you guys expect to pay, per pound, for fresh, locally roasted coffee?
I'm paying almost $20/lb and go through it in about a week. I'm pretty OK with that, and the coffee is excellent, but just trying to figure out if it's on the expensive side, or that's the norm/acceptable.

My local is about $14-20/lb at their location that roasts the beans. Before covid the cashiers would go into the back and get me a bag roasted that week instead of the week+ stuff out front, but they stopped doing that and they started getting older and older so I stopped going. Now I order from Royal Mile. It's good good stuff.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Carillon posted:

I've a coffee that I like that tastes a lot better ground a bit coarser than fine. My problem is that I've a lot more inconsistent drip times with the coarse ground coffee, it sometimes seems to run right through. Is there a good way to I guess settle the coarser ground coffee consistently? I'm doing pourover, grind right before brewing, wet the coffee for 30 seconds, then pouring over, trying to hit the sides so as not to disrupt the coffee too much with a huge stream of water. Any tips?

Try the 4:6 technique. Grind coarse, divide the water into five pours, and do them one at a time. So if you are doing 20 grams coffee to 300 grams water, pour 60 grams, let it drain, then repeat until you’ve poured it all. You can make it more acidic by making the first pour bigger, like 70 grams, then 50, then 60, 60, 60. Pour in circles to get everything wet.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Thanks El Jebus, Jhet, AnimeIsTrash, i own every Bionicle, Democratic Pirate, and Gunder.
Sounds like ~$20/lb for local, fresh roasted coffee is a pretty good deal. :)
The place that I'm buying from is Southdown Coffee: a very small chain here on Long Island, NY. Everything on their shelves was usually roasted only a few days ago. Really enjoying that freshness.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ultra first world country complaint: I’m on a monthly coffee subscription from a new roaster to help me branch out from my local spot. It’s one bag a month and the subscription tagline says it’s “whatever beans our team is particularly excited about.” I’m 3 months in and the past 2 bags have been this roaster’s basic “breakfast blend” coffee. It’s fine, but it mainly serves to show how much more we like the single origin beans from our local place.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m 3 months in and the past 2 bags have been this roaster’s basic “breakfast blend” coffee.

:sever:

too many good subscription services out there to be sending out a dang breakfast blend multiple months in a row

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

their team is particularly excited about shipping you poo poo they can't sell in store lmao

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Complain to them and see if they won't send you something nicer

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

their team is particularly excited about shipping you poo poo they can't sell in store lmao

really pumped about the leftovers of these bags

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s a gift subscription my wife got me, and I’m betting they’re sending lowest common denominator bags because the subscription is $16/mo and their single origin bags cost more than that. I’ll draft a polite feedback email that will become much less polite if the next bag is another breakfast blend.

On the flip side, I brought a bag to my in-laws and made a batch on their $30 Mr Coffee drip machine. My FIL filled up on his way out the door and called me halfway to his work to say it was some of the best coffee he’s ever had.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’m charging my new mug. Already updated the firmware.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Gunder posted:

I’m charging my new mug. Already updated the firmware.
You planning on overclocking it? :getin:

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

A green pound reduces down to about 13oz for me, so. If you're in a position to roast your own, you get green for anywhere from 5$ up per lb.

I just grabbed 13 lbs of great green coffee for $80 which will roast to about 10.5 lbs. At $15-20 per 12 oz, that's $210-280 roasted. At ~30 lbs, you paid for a $500-600 roaster. Someone mentioned the Behmor, I recommend looking at the Gene Cafe if smoke is a concern. You can connect a dryer hose, crack a door and run the hose outside to keep the smoke outside. Mine is 9 years old now and still going with one heat element replacement.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
my local place charges $13 for a 12 oz bag

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
$15-20 for 12oz. bags of single-origin stuff from the local roaster I go to. Thinking about checking out other places, though, because this roaster stopped putting roast dates on their bags a few months into the pandemic and replaced them with "Best By date 4-months out" tags which unreasonably annoys me. They're otherwise excellent and worth the price.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The one cool thing about the Ember is that it highlights that I've been drinking my coffee too hot. You can definitely taste the tasting notes much more clearly when you let it cool to around 50-60c.

That's why it's better than a thermos. It keeps your coffee at ideal tasting temperatures, whereas the thermos keeps it at "too hot to drink" temperatures.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 13, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Subscription woes: my guys are excellent coffee roasters and terrible business people. This month, nothing happened. A few months ago there was massive issues with declined cards.

On the good side, they occasionally send stuff that retails at 3-4x the price of the subscription.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I keep trying to cancel Atlas coffee and every time they offer a discount and I don't cancel

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So far, I’ve been very happy with Square Mile’s subscription, but that’s UK only. £14 per week for a 350g bag of filter beans of their choice.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MustacheNet posted:

I just grabbed 13 lbs of great green coffee for $80 which will roast to about 10.5 lbs. At $15-20 per 12 oz, that's $210-280 roasted. At ~30 lbs, you paid for a $500-600 roaster. Someone mentioned the Behmor, I recommend looking at the Gene Cafe if smoke is a concern. You can connect a dryer hose, crack a door and run the hose outside to keep the smoke outside. Mine is 9 years old now and still going with one heat element replacement.

My Behmor is 6-7 years old and I got it as an amazon refurb. I was looking at the Genes back then. It's a bit picky that when it gets 300°+ it will error out sometimes. I've got an attached garage/ woodshop with a shop fan to vent smoke, and that suits my needs. Problem is friends or family who want you to do roasts now because it's the best etc, etc.

edit- last Christmas we got some fivers of Jamaican Blue and Hawaiian Kona for about $6 lb, and I wish I'd gotten more then. Talk about addictive.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i tried this, which is the second coffee i've had by this guy Edwin Noreña via the same process: carbonic maceration > collect the juice that comes out of the cherries > pulp the coffee > second ferment in the cherry juice > dry as a honey

both are truly some of the wildest poo poo i've ever tasted, with an aggressive "what if you dry-hopped a can of Sprite?" profile that honestly does not taste like anything else (including other carbonic macerated Colombian coffees that are nominally similar). highly recommend for anyone looking for weird, good poo poo

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Bad news for anyone who uses "performance enhancing coffee": https://dailycoffeenews.com/2021/05/13/instant-coffee-recalled-for-containing-prozac-drug-other-risky-substances/

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked this up at a thrift store I had to fashion a new bottom piece of wood for it and clean it really well.

It can surprisingly grind fine enough for espresso.
It won't be replacing the electric grinder for daily use but it's nice to have something in case of power outages or whatever.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Apologies for double posting but my local roaster has a geisha microlot they are doing pre-orders for if anyone wants to get in on it.
https://mayorgaorganics.com/product...source=omnisend

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thumposaurus posted:

Picked this up at a thrift store I had to fashion a new bottom piece of wood for it and clean it really well.

It can surprisingly grind fine enough for espresso.
It won't be replacing the electric grinder for daily use but it's nice to have something in case of power outages or whatever.

That rules, cool factor-wise.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I've discovered that my Virtuoso+ doesn't quite have enough adjustment for espresso - if I get too fine it clogs, but two notches coarser is marginal for extraction in the Robot.

Is there anything I can do to reduce clogging? Or should I just look for a different grinder for espresso?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've discovered that my Virtuoso+ doesn't quite have enough adjustment for espresso - if I get too fine it clogs, but two notches coarser is marginal for extraction in the Robot.

Is there anything I can do to reduce clogging? Or should I just look for a different grinder for espresso?

You can try small adjustments in dose - for example using a grinder setting that clogs and incrementally decreasing dose, or the other direction with a setting that's too fast and increasing dose.

You're using a manual lever though, there's a big range of usable grinder settings. 9 bar 1:2 in 30 seconds isn't the one and only recipe.. make sure you're adjusting by taste.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

you could google how to change calibration -- i haven't done it on mine, but from the video there's three "windows" and depending on which one yours came in, you could potentially adjust it to give yourself a little more range on the finest end of grind settings

i really don't know how much it does though, the impression i got was that if 1-4 is espresso fine in the default, calibrating to the finest may make that 1-6? or something along those lines, didn't seem like a huge adjustment

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

eke out posted:

you could google how to change calibration -- i haven't done it on mine, but from the video there's three "windows" and depending on which one yours came in, you could potentially adjust it to give yourself a little more range on the finest end of grind settings

i really don't know how much it does though, the impression i got was that if 1-4 is espresso fine in the default, calibrating to the finest may make that 1-6? or something along those lines, didn't seem like a huge adjustment

Calibration in this case just shifts grind setting up or down (which number a grind setting output corresponds to), it doesn't change the space between steps - they're clogging the robot so can already go fine enough.

I had pretty limited success playing with calibration and dose on my Encore and the Flair - you can get pretty close but you may not be able to hit 9 bar and make a tasty shot. You do have less bed depth to play with on the robot, though. I was chasing numbers at that point though... a 6 bar 1:3 shot that takes 50 seconds may taste delicious, and is still espresso.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dedian posted:

Calibration in this case just shifts grind setting up or down (which number a grind setting output corresponds to), it doesn't change the space between steps - they're clogging the robot so can already go fine enough.

ah it just literally moves your "zero" to the left, i see

my robot solution was to get a jx pro but yeah, the robot's range in terms of possible dose is pretty high -- something like 10 - 21g, per the manual, but i've only ever tried 16-18 -- so I assume that the best bet for getting the virtuoso to work with it would be to get in the range when it doesn't choke and you still have some pressure, then mess with dose size

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 15, 2021

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I should be more clear - the GRINDER is clogging at a 4, and if I take it up to a 5 the Robot just pushes water through it at maybe 3 bar and less than a minute extraction.

I'm nowhere near getting coffee fine enough to clog the Robot at this point.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

Sorry, I should be more clear - the GRINDER is clogging at a 4, and if I take it up to a 5 the Robot just pushes water through it at maybe 3 bar and less than a minute extraction.

oh that's weird, i wonder if something is wrong?

i know exact calibration varies from machine to machine but i've used my virtuoso at 2 and at 4 several times for non-robot brews and it produced espresso levels of fineness like i'd expect

you could try taking it apart and/or contacting baratza, since they have pretty famously accommodating customer service

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Baratza grinder shouldn't be clogging, period. You can grind coffee drat near to baby powder fineness with them. Something's wrong with the machine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone here tried the Sibarist filter papers? I’m hoping they have the ease of cleanup that a paper filter affords, but without filtering most of the oil from the cup.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Man I want to meet to mix up my coffee. Last year every cup I made felt kind of special. Last weeks it has felt like another chore. Anyone get the same feeling now and then?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

Man I want to meet to mix up my coffee. Last year every cup I made felt kind of special. Last weeks it has felt like another chore. Anyone get the same feeling now and then?

I like to change up how i'm making coffee every couple of weeks e.g. changing the pour over method or making espresso drinks instead of pour overs. Given that it's gotten warmer, i'm on a big cold brew kick. :coffeepal:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

For me, it's been experimenting with different filters recently: cloth, Sibarist fast papers etc. There's always a new brew method or recipe to try out.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My clever dripper took a dive off the counter and cracked, so I’ve been using a <$30 Mr Coffee machine. With fresh beans and a directionally correct amount of water, it’s not bad! I like that I can make enough for multiple cups.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can improve your mr coffee by boiling water in a separate kettle and then pouring it into the coffee machine. Their main problem is the water doesn't get hot enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

You can improve your mr coffee by boiling water in a separate kettle and then pouring it into the coffee machine. Their main problem is the water doesn't get hot enough.

Would you trust the hoses and plastic to not immediately go soft and start melting? I always expected they use the cheaper material so they keep it from getting hot enough so it doesn’t melt.