Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Or that guns are awesome and everyone should have several.

I'm in the Northeast, have four handguns (one for self-defense and shooting targets, two strictly for targets, and my Dad's home defense weapon that I removed from the house after he died - Mom doesn't know how to operate a computer, so I don't need Stable Mabel putting two rounds into my chest when I walk into her house unannounced), am pretty far from conservative, and think that there should certainly be restrictions about who should own/carry guns, especially certain types of guns out there. Not all gun owners are mouth-breathing assholes looking for any reason to become George Zimmerman 2.0. I have a concealed carry permit and have used it ONCE, when I was traveling into a really hosed up area for work.

That said, Rollin' Coal is just stupid as gently caress and serves no purpose now except to be an rear end in a top hat to anyone who may be considered "leftist/commie" by conservative/redneck/white trash assholes.

I think it was one of those things where some people discovered they could do it on their truck, it was a small novelty, and then it took on a Frankenstein-like life of its own, much the way the "ricers" took legitimate body kits and spoilers that actually serve a purpose for racing/track cars where aerodynamics are a legitimate factor, and then put two-foot tall spoilers on FWD cars, or even RWD cars that would never get up to speeds that would make the spoiler serve its actual purpose.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

So why don't they do it then? Because they hate America?

Pretty much everything that you can get outside North America that you can't get in North American basically boils down to the fact that Americans get the cheapest cars in the world, and no one in America is willing to pay the prices that Europeans pay in order to get slightly softer dash covers or diesel engines or whatever the bugbear of the day is.

I thought it was because diesel is more expensive than petrol in the US and the car buying public is like a handicapped child who can't accept that diesels are actually better than petrols in most ways now? Pretty sure it's the same matrix of reasons why americans have needlessly enormous cars compared to everyone else and pick up truck model ranges actually exist and outsell ordinary cars instead of being utilitarian curiosities like everywhere else in the world. I'm not being an anti-american dick or anything, I'm just saying that it's laughable to argue that american manufacturers have lovely diesels because of the unique circumstances surrounding their situation or some kind of terribly constricting emissions scheme, as opposed to just their usual shittyness.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I thought it was because diesel is more expensive than petrol in the US and the car buying public is like a handicapped child who can't accept that diesels are actually better than petrols in most ways now? Pretty sure it's the same matrix of reasons why americans have needlessly enormous cars compared to everyone else and pick up truck model ranges actually exist and outsell ordinary cars instead of being utilitarian curiosities like everywhere else in the world. I'm not being an anti-american dick or anything, I'm just saying that it's laughable to argue that american manufacturers have lovely diesels because of the unique circumstances surrounding their situation or some kind of terribly constricting emissions scheme, as opposed to just their usual shittyness.

Also, at least where I live, you sometimes have to go out of your way to even find a gas station that sells diesel. And at many of the stations that do carry diesel, the regular unleaded pumps will be high-tech, accept credit cards and allow you to make the full transaction at the pump, while some of the diesel pumps are still holdovers from the early '70s. The majority of diesel pumps that I encounter are at rest-stops off of a major highway.

Diesels are fantastic, but the only diesels I ever see on the road outside of tractor trailers are pickup trucks and the occasional Mercedes, usually ones from the '80s.

It never caught on with the general consumer, and I highly, highly doubt it ever will. The general consensus is that diesel is primarily used for monster engines that serve the purpose of transporting heavy cargo, and that's about it, while being significantly more expensive.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 9, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Count. I love your argument, but spoilers actually have a place on FWD cars. Unless being FWD means rear traction doesn't matter anymore.

(Yes they're stupid on street non-performance cars, just pointing out a small thing).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I understand that. I was refuting Crotch Fruit's assertion that diesels have gone to poo poo because of EPA regulations (which aren't really any stricter than euro regulations) or that european diesels are all small tdi-like cars (when they make enormous luxobarges with retarded amounts of diesel-fuelled power) and that they don't have power and therefore can't be used for the rough-handed manly man work of pickup trucks.

You could argue that because the market is so terribly slanted against diesels in the US that manufacturers have little incentive for making them not-suck, except that doesn't dovetail with the fact that non-petrol american cars tend to suck too, and the fact that those very same manufacturers have overseas wings which produce perfectly competent, if not spectacular, diesel engines.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Do any of the diesels around you use urea injection to treat their exhausts? No? They do in the US. So unless BMW and Mercedes are putting in unreliable urea injection systems into their cars for shits and giggles I would have to conclude that US emissions are in fact more stringent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes, they do. It's called AdBlue and every major brand has vehicles that use SCR, as well as every 18 wheeler. SCR isn't particularly unreliable, it's literally just injecting piss into the exhaust. Not rocket surgery.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Count. I love your argument, but spoilers actually have a place on FWD cars. Unless being FWD means rear traction doesn't matter anymore.

(Yes they're stupid on street non-performance cars, just pointing out a small thing).

I should have clarified better, but yes, that was exactly what I mean. Civic "Type-Rs" with a cold-air intake, cheap exhaust, and fake blow-off valve don't need them. And those are the kids that think they're Don Garlits or Lisa Kubo.

Slavvy posted:

You could argue that because the market is so terribly slanted against diesels in the US that manufacturers have little incentive for making them not-suck, except that doesn't dovetail with the fact that non-petrol american cars tend to suck too, and the fact that those very same manufacturers have overseas wings which produce perfectly competent, if not spectacular, diesel engines.

I firmly believe it's because the market is slanted. We're capitalists. If any industry gets a whiff of a trend that is feasible for them to produce, and that the American public will eat up, they'll do it. That's why electric cars and bio-diesel don't catch on; the public sees them as way too much work and inconvenience to operate maintain. Much easier to just stretch out gas mileage on a car and still use the pump. Hybrids are great because you can feel good about yourself and still not do a drat thing different as far as maintenance or refueling them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't contradict you because I know about technical details, I don't know poo poo about economic forces. I would've thought the fact that americans have managed to propel the likes of Toyota to the top of the vehicle sales charts, despite the perceived anti-patriotism of buying japanese, would indicate that having a superior product does eventually sway people to your brand.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Throatwarbler posted:

Do any of the diesels around you use urea injection to treat their exhausts? No? They do in the US. So unless BMW and Mercedes are putting in unreliable urea injection systems into their cars for shits and giggles I would have to conclude that US emissions are in fact more stringent.

Have a '11 335D and can confirm the DEI is an unreliable piece of poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

And performance? Have you seen a Mercedes diesel from the 80s? :lol:

Yes, many, because they're all still running.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Your argument against emissions standards being the one-and-only cause of US trucks being poo poo is solid, but you seem to be assuming that diesel is diesel.

In Aus we can't get many euro performance diesel engines - and some performance petrol engines like the BMW N53 - because the fuel refined here is a different mix to european diesel, and incompatible. I believe the US has the same problem. I think it's to do with the sulfur content? Many performance diesels will not work with our poo poo fuel, or they may work but not meet emissions targets (that's a guess)

How does the quality of fuel factor into it?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 9, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Last I checked euro diesel emmisions standards are nowhere near as strict as US standards. Also, your diesels are things like a TDI Jetta, American diesels are F-350 sized, does Europe have an F-350 or something comparable? Lastly, the GM350 diesel kinda pissed off everyone for a long time, but GM is trying to makeup for that disaster with the diesel Cruze.

And performance? Have you seen a Mercedes diesel from the 80s? :lol:

I don't hate all EPA regulations, I love clean air and oxygen. I just feel like the EPA freaked out and started waving around the C word to force diesel manufacturers to make big changes in a very short amount of time, so diesels have kinda gone to poo poo.

It's not the first time the EPA has screwed us, every motor from the late 70s and 80s sucked due to new polution and economy regulations. But at least back then they had a real reason to rush new regulations on auto makers.

I drove an Audi A8L TDI a couple of weeks ago that was comfortably faster than my Saaburu and still returned 38 mpg. The other driver was a bit more sedate and got 48 mpg. And this was in America. In fact, you'd be an idiot to pay an extra $8k for the 4.0 TSFI engine since performance between the two was basically the same.

Your understanding of modern diesels is non-existent, stop talking now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Count Freebasie posted:

Not all gun owners are mouth-breathing assholes looking for any reason to become George Zimmerman 2.0. I have a concealed carry permit and have used it ONCE, when I was traveling into a really hosed up area for work.

I'm all for people owning guns, but personally, I don't trust myself with one. I'm prone to rather hilarious mood swings (as much as SA has seen); if I owned a gun, I would have been in jail at least a decade ago. I refuse to even handle a gun, simply because I know my brain is too hosed to trust myself with a real gun. It's the same reason I don't let myself get around people on heroin - I know I'd go nuts.

EDIT: not trying to compare guns to heroin, but I like opiates enough to go off the deep end if I ever met heroin. I'd assume I'd so something similar if I owned guns.

Count Freebasie posted:

Also, at least where I live, you sometimes have to go out of your way to even find a gas station that sells diesel. And at many of the stations that do carry diesel, the regular unleaded pumps will be high-tech, accept credit cards and allow you to make the full transaction at the pump, while some of the diesel pumps are still holdovers from the early '70s. The majority of diesel pumps that I encounter are at rest-stops off of a major highway.

Where the gently caress do you live? All of the big stations around here have diesel at at least some pumps - Racetrac and Quiktrip (the mega stores around here) have diesel at every pump. All 20+ pumps. Even the grocery store pumps have diesel at at least 4 pumps. Even on road trips through BFE, the "diesel" pumps are usually dual dispensers that handle both gasoline and diesel, and accept cards.

The only time I see pumps that don't take cards is when it's an old station with a very cheap owner. They usually got some kind of deal on their 1990s Verifone dialup terminal (usually a Tranz 330 or an Omni 380) that doesn't integrate with their relatively modern Verifone Ruby pump control system.* And the Ruby interfaces with drat near every digital gas pump from the past 20+ years.

* (used to do tech support for Tranz, Omni, and Ruby, plus some Gilbarco pumps - Ruby is still sold and installed today despite being a 15+ year old platform, you'll find it in drat near every gas station that's not QT or Racetrac - most others are some bastardization of Fujitsu and NCR)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 9, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

some texas redneck posted:

I'm all for people owning guns, but personally, I don't trust myself with one. I'm prone to rather hilarious mood swings (as much as SA has seen); if I owned a gun, I would have been in jail at least a decade ago. I refuse to even handle a gun, simply because I know my brain is too hosed to trust myself with a real gun. It's the same reason I don't let myself get around people on heroin - I know I'd go nuts.

I would be a lot less concerned about gun ownership if everyone was this self-aware.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Captain Postal posted:

Your argument against emissions standards being the one-and-only cause of US trucks being poo poo is solid, but you seem to be assuming that diesel is diesel.

In Aus we can't get many euro performance diesel engines - and some performance petrol engines like the BMW N53 - because the fuel refined here is a different mix to european diesel, and incompatible. I believe the US has the same problem. I think it's to do with the sulfur content? Many performance diesels will not work with our poo poo fuel, or they may work but not meet emissions targets (that's a guess)

Euro diesel has more sulfur, I'm pretty sure. ULSD in the US has almost no sulfur in it.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

Euro V/EN 590 (ie since 2009) means 10 ppm of sulphur maximum in the EU, ULSD in America (since 2007) means 15 ppm; that difference is not the issue any more. The European standard does specify a higher cetane number than most states, if Wikipedia is to be believed (51 vs 40, 53 in California)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a little sympathy for diesel pickups only because I think the EPA has really raped them with emissions, it used to be possible to get close to 20mpg in an empty pickup (or so owners claim) now it's hard to even get 10mpg empty.

Where the hell are you getting these numbers from?

One of my good friends bought a 2014 GMC with a D-Max/Alison. Loaded (Denali package), 8 foot bed, quad cab. He drove it from the dealership in Ohio to his home in eastern PA and got like 23 MPG.

It now has an aluminum utility body and is loaded heavy (like to GVWR kinda heavy - tool boxes full, full job box in the bed) on his way to a job in Texas. I spoke with him this morning and he's getting drat near 20 MPG.

This truck is dead stock other than the utility body, and he drives like an rear end in a top hat. He had similar results (about 2 MPG less) with his old work truck, which was the same thing but 10 years older (so it had an LB7 in it).

Either one will tow a trailer with a small machine on it (track hoe, skid steer) and barely feels like you're pulling anything, but MPG goes to more like 12-ish on the highway.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
In response to this article being shared with the comment "I'm just gonna keep rocks in my car to throw at these redneck assholes."

IT CAME FROM FACEBOOK

Remind me how dumping more fuel into the engine:

A) Gets you better MPG
B) Saves the environment

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who knew the secret to 100 mpg is to just fill the entire cylinder with fuel.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Captain Postal posted:

Most of the fuel issues that have come up with diesels in the US are because of the lubricity. It's one of the things that bit VW in the rear end for a few years. The fuel here kind of sucks and they designed the fuel pump for Euro fuel. That, and people are loving morons and put gas in their diesels then act like it's the manufacturers fault that it poo poo out the fuel system.

I beat the ever loving poo poo out my 11 TDI and have averaged around 40.5 mpg over the last 3 years.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I forgot I have this gem of a photo containing lovely people in my neighborhood with lovely taste.

Although I appreciate the quality of the paintjob on that Mini Cooper? I can't say I like, well, anything else about the two cars.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

xzzy posted:

Who knew the secret to 100 mpg is to just fill the entire cylinder with fuel.

Try this one weird trick to improve fuel mileage 5000%!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You're not allowed to count the imaginary distance your brain travels during the oxygen-deprived fever dream you experienced while in the soot cloud as mileage!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I forgot I have this gem of a photo containing lovely people in my neighborhood with lovely taste.

Although I appreciate the quality of the paintjob on that Mini Cooper? I can't say I like, well, anything else about the two cars.

God I love this

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So how much more fuel is needed to go from rolling coal to hydrolock? :haw:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bape Culture posted:

God I love this

Please explain

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Think he has a hellaflush M3 with a bunch of stick on carbon fiber.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 9, 2014

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Was that vinyl wrapped or chemically worn? I know Rusty Slammington (?) used diesel on his paint, but it doesn't look like it came from the same process on the mini.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's too even to be real rust.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It looks like vinyl. I don't know for sure, I took the photo a good month ago and only remembered about it now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Count Freebasie posted:

I'm in the Northeast, have four handguns (one for self-defense and shooting targets, two strictly for targets, and my Dad's home defense weapon that I removed from the house after he died - Mom doesn't know how to operate a computer, so I don't need Stable Mabel putting two rounds into my chest when I walk into her house unannounced), am pretty far from conservative, and think that there should certainly be restrictions about who should own/carry guns, especially certain types of guns out there. Not all gun owners are mouth-breathing assholes looking for any reason to become George Zimmerman 2.0. I have a concealed carry permit and have used it ONCE, when I was traveling into a really hosed up area for work.
I like guns as machines, largely the same way I like cars, and it very much irritates me that I'm not allowed them, as well as that the argument over gun safety appears to be entirely populated by complete and utter morons. I am entirely happy with any mentally-stable person without a criminal record being allowed to own a registerd handgun for which they are responsible.

Though it is amusing when people state that the UK's anti-gun laws make the country safer because it means there are fewer guns. Poland has a quarter of our per-capita firearms ownership, yet pegs level with us for firearm-related deaths. loving Honduras has the same per-capita gun ownership as the UK, for God's sake.

Really looking forward to getting to do some shooting when I visit the US.:3:

Captain Postal posted:

Basically, that's my understanding, too. It's not that US standards are harsher as such, just that they're different in a way that is incompatible with the development path taken by diesel engines elsewhere.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Protocol7 posted:

Why would anyone do that to that poor Mini?

Although there is a pretty tacky R53 Cooper S down the road from where I live, I'll try and snap a photo for this thread.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Please explain

It's fuckingn funny and cool.

jamal posted:

Think he has a hellaflush M3 with a bunch of stick on carbon fiber.

Tom schirmer set up my car. Yeah def hella flush.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Since we're not apparently discussing guns in the car thread, what's your favorite gun to use in your car, or your favorite car to shoot at with your gun? Personally I prefer the Remington F250 V8 semi-automatic.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Tom schirmer set up my car. Yeah def hella flush.

This guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxlRTsnughI
What a loving ricer m8 what the hell is a vln, come back when you hit some cones with a mx5 m8.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Where the gently caress do you live? All of the big stations around here have diesel at at least some pumps - Racetrac and Quiktrip (the mega stores around here) have diesel at every pump. All 20+ pumps. Even the grocery store pumps have diesel at at least 4 pumps. Even on road trips through BFE, the "diesel" pumps are usually dual dispensers that handle both gasoline and diesel, and accept cards.

All of the big stations around here have diesel

You live in Texas. Pickup capital of the U.S.A.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've lived in several states and the only time I haven't seen at least 2-3 diesel pumps at every gas station would be when I was stationed in Monterey, CA.

So, maybe it's you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat near every gas station I've been to in the state of Indiana has diesel on almost every pump these days.

Anyways, some rear end in a top hat rolled coal on me in the Miata two months ago and yeah, I was enraged. I mean poo poo, if I trusted myself enough to have a gun I probably would have shot the rear end in a top hat. This is why I don't own a gun. I fully support the ownership of guns, I just don't want one because some rear end in a top hat will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Captain Bravo posted:

Since we're not apparently discussing guns in the car thread, what's your favorite gun to use in your car, or your favorite car to shoot at with your gun? Personally I prefer the Remington F250 V8 semi-automatic.

1991 Ford Crown Vic, General Electric M134. You can actually cut the Ford into distinct pieces.