Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Has anyone reverse-engineered the Hyperforce system enough to try running an actual non-broadcast game? I remember they were going to release that and then it got canned for some sort of logistics reason, and it sounded a million times more interesting than anything you could possibly make out of d20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dawgstar posted:

It's kind of interesting in that Henshin modeled itself also after one particular series with Ranger archetypes but that series always felt to me more like SPD, particularly with how it handles its Blue and Green playbooks. (I'm not sure we honestly get a lot of Yellows in how they tag Yellows, but it's a fun archetype.)

I thought Henshin Yellow was going for more of the classic Japanese "Slightly chubby curry-loving Big Guy" rather than the Trini style of "Tomboyish, more serious female"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Caphi posted:

Has anyone reverse-engineered the Hyperforce system enough to try running an actual non-broadcast game? I remember they were going to release that and then it got canned for some sort of logistics reason, and it sounded a million times more interesting than anything you could possibly make out of d20.

Honestly a lot of that system seemed to be built to work with the whole public streaming concept to the point where it's hard to really gauge how it would work without all the weird mildly predatory poo poo designed to get people to put money into Twitch.

Henshin sounded cool until I just looked it up and saw it uses the Apocalypse engine rules which I kinda bounce off. I always feel like it abstracts everything to the point where it feels hostile to anything action focused, but people keep using it for action-heavy genres, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly a lot of that system seemed to be built to work with the whole public streaming concept to the point where it's hard to really gauge how it would work without all the weird mildly predatory poo poo designed to get people to put money into Twitch.

I think the only thing that really needs audience participation is those boost things and you'd have to convert those into some sort of per-session/per-adventure allotment. Other than that it's all d6 pools and Energy, but the devil is in the details.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

I thought Henshin Yellow was going for more of the classic Japanese "Slightly chubby curry-loving Big Guy" rather than the Trini style of "Tomboyish, more serious female"

From the book on Yellow: "You’re able to support others while retaining that creative individualist streak. Others find you trusting and sociable—so long as you’re willing to open up." That doesn't sound like too many Yellows I can think of, although I guess if you squint it could be Z from SPD.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is the break down on Yellow for the new book?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

What is the break down on Yellow for the new book?

They're... uh... re-skinned Monks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

They're... uh... re-skinned Monks.

:yikes:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, does anyone have any theories as to how S2's going down?

A few, vague theories:
-Santaura (that's blonde tube lady) will come back, but 'wrong' in some capacity. She's possessed, or just not herself, etc. so she can use the Eras suit
-As a result of the above, Void Knight will probably end up helping the Rangers, ditching the Gaisorg look for Ryusoul Brown, but probably staying semi-lonerish as a result. Mucus and Slyther will probably end up helping him.
-Santaura will probably end up building the equivalents of Udon, Pricious, Gunjoji, and Yabasword for her luitenants, in addition to more Sporix.
-At some point Commander Shaw will probably swing by for an assist, possibly for the Zedd rematch that will probably also involve JDF swinging by for a paycheck. Possibly Austin St. John as well considering he was in the Beast Morphers crossover.
-I think VK/Santaura might have an idea of what happened to Rafkon. Jury's out on it still being destroyed, being in peril but intact, or being perfectly fine.
-Pop Pop will probably end up helping with the obligatory Villain Lair Raid on Area 62. He's going to learn Amelia is a Ranger at some point. Ranger Garcia too with Izzy and Javi, this will possibly be an impetus for him actually respecting Javi. Possibly Fern as well?
-Amelia and Ollie are getting together at some point.
-Finale: Beat evil out of Santaura, VK and her peace out, Zayto and Aiyon head into space to visit/check on Rafkon, everyone else keeps doing their thing (reporting on the supernatural, assisting mom with archeology, being a track and field athlete, recording music) on Earth with the morphers hung up but not destroyed (for future crossovers).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering they built him up a bit past the Halloween episode (and the fact he’s still alive afterwards), I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Zedd winds up turning into the final boss from Ryusoulger (there are a few design similarities after all), but like you said it’s probably going to turn out to be Santaura (since if she doesn’t come back that means the Rangers essentially murdered a comatose woman last season, which isn’t a great look to be honest)

If/when he does come back though I hope they get rid of the weird filter, his new VA sounded a lot better in the redubbed footage than he did in the actual episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 23, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have to imagine they're saving Lord Zedd for the 30th

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burkion posted:

I have to imagine they're saving Lord Zedd for the 30th
Lord Zedd as the big bad to the Big 30 Special only to get murked by DRAKKON and lead to a season that does a universe reset to launch MMPR 2025? Sure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd come back for that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Maybe it's just because the Neo-Saban years were so uniformly bland, but for some reason I feel like with Dino Fury I'm recalling a lot more funny quotes in my head than normal. I'll just be doing something and then suddenly my brain will recall "They probably had insurance." or "I just love how good at posing we are!" or "You humans sure do love Zords." or "Online reviews that it was a great place to get zapped. I'm giving it five stars." or "I know none of you have a license to drive this thing. I definitely don't." etc etc etc.

Was it just Neo-Saban having a dearth of good dialogue? Or is Dino Fury actually upping the quality of humor which usually rests at "bad puns and wacky slapstick"?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Junpei posted:

Maybe it's just because the Neo-Saban years were so uniformly bland, but for some reason I feel like with Dino Fury I'm recalling a lot more funny quotes in my head than normal. I'll just be doing something and then suddenly my brain will recall "They probably had insurance." or "I just love how good at posing we are!" or "You humans sure do love Zords." or "Online reviews that it was a great place to get zapped. I'm giving it five stars." or "I know none of you have a license to drive this thing. I definitely don't." etc etc etc.

Was it just Neo-Saban having a dearth of good dialogue? Or is Dino Fury actually upping the quality of humor which usually rests at "bad puns and wacky slapstick"?

I feel like Dino Charge had some good lines, but it's been years since I've watched it. The weird thing about DF is that it's way funnier when it's the characters just talking to each other. That weird jborg slapstick stuff is just awful.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I've got a weird question that this seems like the only place to ask: which series might people recommend (and where might they be streaming)?

Over the pandemic I've watched Zyuranger and have almost finished Dairanger with my roommate. We enjoyed Zyu a fair bit as we had watched a bit of Power Rangers as kids. However we've been loving Dairanger for the martial arts themes, better fight choreography, and what I can only describe as an increased level of absurdity/unpredictability.

I think we'd rather watch the original versions if possible, but if an English one is good that would be cool too. Any thoughts?

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 28, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Canopus250 posted:

I've got a weird question that this seems like the only place to ask: which series might people recommend (and where might they be streaming)?

Over the pandemic I've watched Zyuranger and have almost finished Dairanger with my roommate. We enjoyed Zyu a fair bit as we had watched a bit of Power Rangers as kids. However we've been loving Dairanger for the martial arts themes, better fight choreography, and what I can only describe as an increased level of absurdity/unpredictability.

I think we'd rather watch the original versions if possible, but if an English one is good that would be cool too. Any thoughts?

Well probably a good idea to continue with the rest of the seasons Shout Factory has licensed for ease of access if nothing else, might also be worth taking a look at some of the other Toku series they have the streaming rights to, or even the various British special effects series Gerry Anderson made that Shout Factory also has the rights to(there's a lot of Thunderbirds DNA in the Tokusatsu genre as we know it)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Shinkenger or Kyoryuger

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Canopus250 posted:

However we've been loving Dairanger for the martial arts themes, better fight choreography, and what I can only describe as an increased level of absurdity/unpredictability.

Carranger.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Shinkenger or Timeranger. You can't go too wrong with Yasuko Kobayashi.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah aside from the slapstick stuff with Jborg usually not being funny (a couple of the gate I thought were good, like reading from a teleprompter but her boss is trying to clean the keyboard), it's really weird that there is a sentient robot that is property of another person?

I also liked the gag where they hid in a dumpster from the monster and it got pushed and was rolling down a hill a lot of the episode. That's the direction they should go with slapstick, it should have something to do with the monster or consequences from the monster, not them just doing something unrelated at the office

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 28, 2022

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Thanks everybody. Those suggested show's plots plus their mecha/zords all do look interesting on the wiki for sure. Do the newer shows still have the same weird camp charm energy of the older shows?

I've seen Thunderbirds before when I was real young, but I don't know much else about what came out around that time. Any specific things to look for?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Canopus250 posted:

Thanks everybody. Those suggested show's plots plus their mecha/zords all do look interesting on the wiki for sure. Do the newer shows still have the same weird camp charm energy of the older shows?

Depends on the show, though nowadays the comedy is more prevalent than before. Also the current show may be the campiest Sentai has ever been and it's been absolutely wonderful so far. Zenkaiger is amazing.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Canopus250 posted:

I've seen Thunderbirds before when I was real young, but I don't know much else about what came out around that time. Any specific things to look for?

Well worth your time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Canopus250 posted:

UltraSeven is a show to watch out for. It's on shout for free streaming and you can find it elsewhere.

It's a sci-fi series made by Eiji Tsuburaya, the guy who basically invented the modern special effects ~genre~ we all know and love today in Japan. UltraSeven was very much inspired by Thunderbirds and is a direct contemporary of other 1960s sci-fi series.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah aside from the slapstick stuff with Jborg usually not being funny (a couple of the gate I thought were good, like reading from a teleprompter but her boss is trying to clean the keyboard), it's really weird that there is a sentient robot that is property of another person?

I also liked the gag where they hid in a dumpster from the monster and it got pushed and was rolling down a hill a lot of the episode. That's the direction they should go with slapstick, it should have something to do with the monster or consequences from the monster, not them just doing something unrelated at the office

I feel like even those could be salvaged if the literal robot wasn't so wacky. Have her be the straight man to Jane's weirdness that way they're not yet another unfunny Bulk and Skull clone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I feel like even those could be salvaged if the literal robot wasn't so wacky. Have her be the straight man to Jane's weirdness that way they're not yet another unfunny Bulk and Skull clone.

To my knowledge I don't think PR has EVER really managed to recapture the magic of Bulk & Skull

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

To my knowledge I don't think PR has EVER really managed to recapture the magic of Bulk & Skull

I honestly don't think they need to try in Dino Fury. Their main cast is pretty talented and can be very funny on their own, but I'm sure it's a formula thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing about Bulk & Skull versus future attempts at doing the same thing was that the future attempts were pretty much Pinky & The Brain, whereas with Bulk & Skull it was more like they shared ownership of one brain and they swapped, and who possessed it on any particular episode was anyone's guess. Both actors were equally adept at playing idiots and having sudden moments of competence, particularly after the White Ranger saga was when Skull was allowed to speak without always sounding like a shrill caricature who just chugged three energy drinks off set. Once they allowed Jason Narvy to speak in his own voice more often, it made the moments where he reverted back to season 1 shrieking a lot funnier.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, by Zeo they actually allowed the two to develop as characters separate from one another (particularly Skull), though they started growing past just being mere bullies as early as MMPR S2 (though as mentioned that didn’t really start happening until after Tommy came back as the White Ranger)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 29, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't that in part because they wanted Narvy to be one of the red herrings for the White Ranger?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't that in part because they wanted Narvy to be one of the red herrings for the White Ranger?

Never heard of that but he was definitely used as one for the Gold Ranger in Zeo (and I sort of wish that one turned out to be true honestly)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Paul Schrier was interviewed years ago on... Nerdist, I wanna say... and he listed Laurel and Hardy and old vaudeville routines as their primary inspiration for Bulk and Skull.

We did not deserve Bulk and Skull.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember reading once that there usually wasn't even concrete descriptions for what to do for their scenes and they were usually improvised.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah a big thing with Bulk and Skull is how organic the whole thing was. If you were stuck strictly with Bulk and Skull in season 1 only, while you'd have some nice moments here and there, there's not a lot super memorable.

They come to life after season 1 when they start being more than just 'comic relief bullies'.

It also helps that they were genuinely bullies to begin with, to a degree. The Rangers did not like hanging out with them until they started to grow as people.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Bulk and Skull were bullies. Antagonistic against the rangers in human form. And after they lessened the antagonistic part they were a “threat” by trying to figure out who the rangers were. This all went on, while they slowly developed into jerks with an actual heart of gold. Including sacrificing their win to let the rangers win.

None of the later Bulk and Skull attempts are ever anything more than comic relief. They start with a heart of gold, usually purely on the side of the rangers, they get their moment to shine but they’re never more than comic relief.

Edit: lol Burkion beat me to it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well I mean Monty and Victor were more antagonistic but... that didn't work out

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That did end with them doing some heroism and Victor finally getting in the trophy he craved, and sharing it with Monty.

The Dino Thunder pair were a good pair who developed into actually caring about journalism and each other, the Mystic Force civilian antagonist whose name escapes me had good development of turning out to actually be pretty involved with the villains but deciding to be good and converting her mom.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That did end with them doing some heroism and Victor finally getting in the trophy he craved, and sharing it with Monty.

The Dino Thunder pair were a good pair who developed into actually caring about journalism and each other, the Mystic Force civilian antagonist whose name escapes me had good development of turning out to actually be pretty involved with the villains but deciding to be good and converting her mom.

I like to think Vida's lustove for her mom helped too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The dude off Dino Thunder was considered for AbareMax before the production team realized AbareMax was just an upgrade form and not a distinct character.