Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, am I the only one kinda weirded out by the sudden obsession with rats? in the first dark souls there were two types of rat enemies and they inflicted poison but aside from the depths, which was entirely optional if you chose the master key, they were never anywhere in large enough numbers to really be a problem and they really just felt like a natural part of the world because rats live in sewers. But now in this game we get two whole areas dedicated to rats, a rat-tomb and a dwarven cave, And on top of inflicting toxic now, they can instantly kill you with petrify. There's two rat bosses and a talking rat king that lets you into the rat covenant. I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nuebot posted:

So, am I the only one kinda weirded out by the sudden obsession with rats? in the first dark souls there were two types of rat enemies and they inflicted poison but aside from the depths, which was entirely optional if you chose the master key, they were never anywhere in large enough numbers to really be a problem and they really just felt like a natural part of the world because rats live in sewers. But now in this game we get two whole areas dedicated to rats, a rat-tomb and a dwarven cave, And on top of inflicting toxic now, they can instantly kill you with petrify. There's two rat bosses and a talking rat king that lets you into the rat covenant. I just don't get it.

There's a multiplayer rat-themed covenant that operates in two specific areas, so those two areas are themed around rats?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Seriously what the gently caress is up, I can't kill a single person in NG+ cause it would take 20 hits to kill them while I was winning 90% of duels in NG.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Daynab posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is up, I can't kill a single person in NG+ cause it would take 20 hits to kill them while I was winning 90% of duels in NG.

Respec into a hex build so you can slap resonant weapon on a dark infused weapon of your choice, welcome to pvp!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Daynab posted:

Your weapon might just suck. I got invaded in the Iron Keep once by a guy with dual cestus and he did single digit damage to me. I wasn't even running Haval armor or anything, it just did no damage to the point the guy gave up and switched to a giant anime sword.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Has anyone managed to concoct a map-boundaries viewer yet like there was for DS1? In particular I'm looking to compare the Forest of Fallen Giants with the Memories of giants, but seeing how everything fits together is always interesting.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Haha, I guess you can't summon human allies for the final boss?

I mean, kind of makes sense, and I think people should earn that one, and its not too hard.
Its just...I only need two more medals for the sunlight spear and I'm pretty sure I leveled / collected too many souls to get co-op hits elsewhere :)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

NGDBSS posted:

Has anyone managed to concoct a map-boundaries viewer yet like there was for DS1? In particular I'm looking to compare the Forest of Fallen Giants with the Memories of giants, but seeing how everything fits together is always interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshiTrSDles
Download's in the description. Watch the video for funny stuff.

animatorZed posted:

I mean, kind of makes sense, and I think people should earn that one, and its not too hard.
Its just...I only need two more medals for the sunlight spear and I'm pretty sure I leveled / collected too many souls to get co-op hits elsewhere :)

You can summon human co-op buddies for both Throne of Want bosses.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've the feeling that maybe the reason why the transitions between areas are so jarring is because they were suppose to be, but it just wasn't explained well enough in the story that this is a thing that happens where reality blurs?

I just figured when replaying again it had to be on purpose when I went past the shrine of winter and went into the tunnel towards the castle, and in the course of a 10 second tunnel you go from a sunny partly cloudy forest to a rainy chasm with a full moon out, and there are at least half a dozen different areas like iron keep and dragon aerie that are just as odd.

Or they could just be really bad at world design, either one.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 13, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

I'm not sure yet, but the area you fight pursuer (his boss arena that is) is clearly where you also fight the giant lord.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

animatorZed posted:

You can summon for the final boss, I helped a bunch of people with it + the boss before it sometimes.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Nahxela posted:

You can summon human co-op buddies for both Throne of Want bosses.

Weird. I got kicked out as soon as the host entered the fog door, and it said the world master moved on to a new area.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

animatorZed posted:

You can summon other players and and/or two NPCs if you did their side quests.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't know why I've never seen this mentioned before, but in Shrine of Anama there is an NPC phantom called Felicia the Brave hanging out in the hut right before the mage light show. If you summon her, that entire segment is a breeze. She gets hit by every single soul arrow but has a ton of health so it doesn't matter. She charges forward and murders every mage, drawing the aggro of every enemy and making sure you are in no danger. If you really loving hate the shrine of anime, just summon her.

VVV If you have no human effigies (and ONLY if), it turns you into a human.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking of Anama, what is the purpose of that bonfire hut you can pray up which has that warlock outside of it?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've the feeling that maybe the reason why the transitions between areas are so jarring is because they were suppose to be, but it just wasn't explained well enough in the story that this is a thing that happens where reality blurs?

I just figured when replaying again it had to be on purpose when I went past the shrine of winter and went into the tunnel towards the castle, and in the course of a 10 second tunnel you go from a sunny partly cloudy forest to a rainy chasm with a full moon out, and there are at least half a dozen different areas like iron keep and dragon aerie that are just as odd.

Or they could just be really bad at world design, either one.
I guess now we can group Dark Souls 2 and World of Warcraft together under "has theme park world".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't know why I've never seen this mentioned before, but in Shrine of Anama there is an NPC phantom called Felicia the Brave hanging out in the hut right before the mage light show. If you summon her, that entire segment is a breeze. She gets hit by every single soul arrow but has a ton of health so it doesn't matter. She charges forward and murders every mage, drawing the aggro of every enemy and making sure you are in no danger. If you really loving hate the shrine of anime, just summon her.

VVV If you have no human effigies, it turns you into a human.

Because it's after the part people don't like? She also sets off all the mutants that wouldn't attack you otherwise.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

animatorZed posted:

Weird. I got kicked out as soon as the host entered the fog door, and it said the world master moved on to a new area.
Not sure why that happened. Maybe he already cleared the Nashandra, or cleared Throne Watcher/Defender, but didn't have the Giant Kinship.

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV If you have no human effigies, it turns you into a human.
Joke answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDAQ3y0xdA

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vintersorg posted:

Speaking of Anama, what is the purpose of that bonfire hut you can pray up which has that warlock outside of it?

I'm told you can pray at it to unhollow if you're completely out of human effigies.

Question time, do souls spent on the Resonant line of spells count against my soul memory? I want to use them but at the same time... well, maybe I'm worrying too much about SM?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

Because it's after the part people don't like?

Not its not? That part is easily the hardest section of the shrine. If you have trouble with any other part you're just playing terribly.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Don't forget, if you have a certain sinner level you can't use that place to turn human.

Game basically says gently caress you, get wrecked.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV If you have no human effigies (and ONLY if), it turns you into a human.

Those who typically avoid summons should take note of this and consider it anyway. Oftentimes NPC summons show up near a boss to give you a leg up that you often don't need, but there's a reason Felicia the Brave is smack in the middle of the level, a heavily-armored knight with a huge fuckoff lance that just charges.

The only disappointment is she's just some generic person, not someone like Vengarl (to watch a raging berserker go to town) or even Straid (in his only summon appearance, let's have him blow the poo poo outta some lesser wizards).

Hell, they could've just put Felicia into full Catarina armor and suddenly it'd become one of the most beloved sequences in the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh so fun discovery as a blue phantom: You can push some enemies around. I got a great ambush on a dude in the dragon shrine when I was waiting for him to find me by pushing all three of the human-sized dragon knight dudes down right by the big two sword guys. He came up the steps and was greeted with a cluster of swords in the face while I did the trident dance.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Nahxela posted:

Not sure why that happened. Maybe he already cleared the Nashandra, or cleared Throne Watcher/Defender, but didn't have the Giant Kinship.

That makes sense, although I had no idea the conditions for the fight were separate.

Like I said before, when I got here, I was just looking for the next place to go and had no idea it would end the game :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Not its not? That part is easily the hardest section of the shrine. If you have trouble with any other part you're just playing terribly.

The part after you get her is way better than the lead up. Beforehand it's a couple magicians and a lot of wading through water. I doubt people find this poo poo hard, it's just boring. And she also sets off every enemy that would just ignore you otherwise because AI is bad.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
In the fuckface pirate lair, full of assholes and has a two person guy in the ghost ship, can I just take a short cut to the boss or do I have to fight 100 zombies every time I die to him?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I'm told you can pray at it to unhollow if you're completely out of human effigies.

Question time, do souls spent on the Resonant line of spells count against my soul memory? I want to use them but at the same time... well, maybe I'm worrying too much about SM?

Souls are added to your soul memory when you collect them. Burn them on spells, toss them into upgrading all your weapons, have the Emerald Herald level you up, lose them all in a bloodstain, do whatever with them, they're already permanently in your bank.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 13, 2014

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

WYA posted:

In the fuckface pirate lair, full of assholes and has a two person guy in the ghost ship, can I just take a short cut to the boss or do I have to fight 100 zombies every time I die to him?

There's a shortcut.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

WYA posted:

There's a pullchain that opens a gate to a "shortcut" though admittedly it doesnt cut much time. Really you gotta speedrun to the boss again and hope the vikings don't catch up

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

WYA posted:

Apart from that shortcut nope. If I were you just run all the way up the stairs, make a right and go up the other flight of stairs. The Vikings have an aggro range and the stop following you once you get past the 2nd flight. If you lit up the place with a stone, you can at least make those other enemies stay inside the house while you go jump down and land one of the boards so you can get a little shortcut.

Why yes I did this when I kept trying to farm for the

GODDAMN shadow set.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

The part after you get her is way better than the lead up. Beforehand it's a couple magicians and a lot of wading through water. I doubt people find this poo poo hard, it's just boring. And she also sets off every enemy that would just ignore you otherwise because AI is bad.

You're crazy. The part before her is just two mages shooting at you max that are easily closed in on. They have one snork guarding them tops. Also, there is cover everywhere and the mages are lined up so that you can easily get into cover after killing one I would know, I literally just did that part.

The part Felicia comes in for has 4 mages, and its for easy for 3 to end up shooting at you. There are many more snorks scattered about and there are priests guarding the last two mages. The cover you have is smaller and doesn't block all of the mages. That section is easily the hardest part of the shrine. Felicia completely trivializes it though. Yeah she might get the attention of a few extra snorks, but again who cares when she tears through all of them on her own.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

WYA posted:

Kill the dudes. Quit to main menu. You'll start outside his gate and the shadows respawn. Unless, of course, you're trying to do this offline to avoid being invaded.

EDIT: Ignore this, I thought you were talking about farming him. Yeah you have to run to him if he kills you. Summon lucatiel, she practically can solo him.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Holy gently caress people in this thread are so whiny and hostile. I'm out.

Sorry Gay Rumsfeld, I'm probably reading an unintended tone into your post just from the general harsh 'l2p noob ur bad' feeling of the thread. I apologize for my passive aggressive posting!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

You're crazy. The part before her is just two mages shooting at you max that are easily closed in on. They have one snork guarding them tops. Also, there is cover everywhere and the mages are lined up so that you can easily get into cover after killing one I would know, I literally just did that part.

The part Felicia comes in for has 4 mages, and its for easy for 3 to end up shooting at you. There are many more snorks scattered about and there are priests guarding the last two mages. The cover you have is smaller and doesn't block all of the mages. That section is easily the hardest part of the shrine. Felicia completely trivializes it though. Yeah she might get the attention of a few extra snorks, but again who cares when she tears through all of them on her own.

That's the point, before you get her there's like nothing in the level. After you actually get to do something and can get close enough to the magicians to melee them without spending half a year waste deep in water. She doesn't trivialize anything because's it not hard. All she does is half die along the way because she's an idiot.

Shindragon posted:

Apart from that shortcut nope. If I were you just run all the way up the stairs, make a right and go up the other flight of stairs. The Vikings have an aggro range and the stop following you once you get past the 2nd flight. If you lit up the place with a stone, you can at least make those other enemies stay inside the house while you go jump down and land one of the boards so you can get a little shortcut.

Why yes I did this when I kept trying to farm for the

GODDAMN shadow set.

If that's what you get from the ng+ boss, enemies can drop stuff for you in other people's worlds. You could just set down a summon sign and do it that way.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In a strangely predictable turn of fate, poor fellow Goonsir was overcome by ANIME. I know it was one of you assholes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's the point, before you get her there's like nothing in the level. After you actually get to do something and can get close enough to the magicians to melee them without spending half a year waste deep in water. She doesn't trivialize anything because's it not hard. All she does is half die along the way because she's an idiot.

If that's what you get from the ng+ boss, enemies can drop stuff for you in other people's worlds. You could just set down a summon sign and do it that way.

Eh I wasn't saying it was tedious, it was more like I was used to it. Honestly it wasn't too bad considering I can just wrap out of there with the feather if the two enemies didn't give what I wanted.

Mudane aveylns in PVE is just murder. :getin:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

First playthrough, 72 hours, 3.5 Million Soul Memory. I could barely get anyone to summon me for bosses there at the end. :shepface:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nahxela posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshiTrSDles
Download's in the description. Watch the video for funny stuff.
Chrome seems to be spooked by this, perhaps because it's coming from Mediafire. How safe is it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think its hard either but all the people posting in this thread complaining about it do, so I figured I'd tell them about the phantom that will trivialize the most lethal part of it. People complain about getting shot at by the other mages while they try to advance. With Felicia, they don't all shoot at you and she rushes up and kills them for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kaldaris posted:

First playthrough, 72 hours, 3.5 Million Soul Memory. I could barely get anyone to summon me for bosses there at the end. :shepface:

What is even going on in the aldia helmet? I never figured it out. Those scientists are up to some nasty stuff