Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I just needed to run disk cleanup 5 times to get it to fully delete my temporary files. Each time it only took out roughly 4 GB. Wtf is up with that? Windows 7 just did the thing in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I'm not just seeing a fluke, changing the default lock screen image now works. (https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-change-default-lock-screen-image-in-windows-10/)

edit: nope, fluke

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 28, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

If I'm not just seeing a fluke, changing the default lock screen image now works. (https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-change-default-lock-screen-image-in-windows-10/)

edit: nope, fluke

huh? this definitely works, I have a custom image for both default and user lock screens.

it's just the background image, it doesn't change anything about the lock behavior.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah if you can't change your lock screen image something's up with your system. it's always worked for me

Weedle
May 31, 2006

pro move is to make it the same as your wallpaper but blurred

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

huh? this definitely works, I have a custom image for both default and user lock screens.

it's just the background image, it doesn't change anything about the lock behavior.

Yeah, not here. Not the hugest deal though. I guess I can always take ownership of img103.png and change it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Ever since I upgraded my home pc to 1909, I've been getting this splashscreen once a month that begs me to make a Microsoft account.

Just how desperate is Microsoft getting with that poo poo?

Also my windows install is set to English. But this thing can just check my location, see that I'm in the Netherlands and present a Dutch version. Even though according to the privacy settings that's not supposed to happen. Good job demonstrating you can be trusted there, Microsoft.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Try Shutup 10? I disable everything except Windows defender.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Try Shutup 10? I disable everything except Windows defender.

I can never recommend O&O ShutUp! 10 strongly enough. Great bit of software.
I'm sure a gaggle of people will reply saying not to mess with random system settings, but screw that. It's your home machine, and the tweaks are documented and reversible.
It will also never not be amusing that O&O software has Microsoft Gold Partner status

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 29, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I have had 1909 since release on multiple computers, use only offline accounts and have never seen that screen: I wonder which setting governs it? I don't use dubious tools like ShutUp, either.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

I can never recommend O&O ShutUp! 10 strongly enough. Great bit of software.
I'm sure a gaggle of people will reply saying not to mess with random system settings, but screw that. It's your home machine, and the tweaks are documented and reversible.
It will also never not be amusing that O&O software has Microsoft Gold Partner status, they're certainly not a tiny one-man operation spewing out unreliable crap

Exactly. And they are not random settings, they are just a pain in the rear end to manage without the GPO editor.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Raygereio posted:

Ever since I upgraded my home pc to 1909, I've been getting this splashscreen once a month that begs me to make a Microsoft account.

Also my windows install is set to English. But this thing can just check my location, see that I'm in the Netherlands and present a Dutch version. Even though according to the privacy settings that's not supposed to happen. Good job demonstrating you can be trusted there, Microsoft.
You can disable it.

You can also go through it, it won't force you into making a Microsoft account afaik.

The locale thing is grating and a problem Windows has struggled with in one way or another for the last 25 years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

HalloKitty posted:

It will also never not be amusing that O&O software has Microsoft Gold Partner status, they're certainly not a tiny one-man operation spewing out unreliable crap
Must have been a multiple person operation at some point, because they sold (still do?) a defragger, and that's not an easy piece of software.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
O&O certainly used to be a household name for their defragger back in the day.

Also, that checkbox doesn't even exist on my system (Win 10 Pro 1909):

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can disable it.
You can also go through it, it won't force you into making a Microsoft account afaik.
Neither the Settings option or that registry key described in that article exist in my windows install. :shrug:

And yeah, I can click on the "gently caress off" button. But it's still stupid that an update turned my OS into loving nagware.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Neither the Settings option or that registry key described in that article exist in my windows install. :shrug:

And yeah, I can click on the "gently caress off" button. But it's still stupid that an update turned my OS into loving nagware.
It keeps coming back because you click the gently caress off for now button. What I'm suggesting is you click the other button and skip the creation of an MS account in the first step you get after that.

E: the option called 'limited experience'

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 29, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

Must have been a multiple person operation at some point, because they sold (still do?) a defragger, and that's not an easy piece of software.

Sorry, maybe my post was confusing; I meant that they were not a one-man operation

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There's also a group policy setting that blocks MS account use & linking. I wonder if turning that on would prevent the splash screen from ever appearing?

Raygereio posted:

They're still giving away free upgrades and unlimited installs of 10 using 7 & 8 keys, so I think the answer is that the free OS experiment is working for them. They just want more data collection.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I connected my laptop to my computer display with an hdmi cable. Any idea why the image is too large, such that the edges of the screen are cut off (as if it was slightly zoomed in)? They're both 1080p screens.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I connected my laptop to my computer display with an hdmi cable. Any idea why the image is too large, such that the edges of the screen are cut off (as if it was slightly zoomed in)? They're both 1080p screens.

Check your monitor settings and see if there is any weird scaling applied?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I did and the only scaling option I see is grayed out.

I was using this monitor with my desktop pc just a week ago, just fine. Although that didn't use the hdmi connection.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Could Windows have auto-applied the wrong resolution when you connected the monitor?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No cause the image on the laptop screen looks just fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fixed with the graphics control panel. If I understand correctly, by default it's compensating for tv overscan.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It sounds a lot like overscan and it could be either your video driver or your monitor on its own taking the initiative. So you have to look in both places.

E: I'm a bit late with that

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
Can someone confirm if upgrading my mobo and CPU means I need a new Windows 10 key? I previously upgraded my Windows 7 to 10 on my current machine just through the free upgrade offered. Just asking because the OP indicates it may or may not work? Thank you!

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Either link your activation to an MS account and go through the activation troubleshooter later to transfer the license, use your old Windows 7 key or buy one of those cheap $5 Ebay keys.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

netBuff posted:

Either link your activation to an MS account and go through the activation troubleshooter later to transfer the license, use your old Windows 7 key or buy one of those cheap $5 Ebay keys.

I wasn't aware you could get cheap windows 10 pro keys on ebay. Is it safe to use those? I have a 100% legit way to get keys for like $40, but $5 seems to be like $35 less…

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pardot posted:

I wasn't aware you could get cheap windows 10 pro keys on ebay. Is it safe to use those? I have a 100% legit way to get keys for like $40, but $5 seems to be like $35 less…

Worst case it gets revoked, it's not like MS is going to take you to court. There are also goons who've selling $20 keys in SA-Mart for years and I can only imagine that they'd get perma'd if they started going bad en mass, if you wanted to split the difference on price and legitimacy.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Pardot posted:

SA Mart here, you can buy a Win10 key for 15 or 19 bucks (home/pro), or a Win7 key for 5 bucks. The Win7 key will activate and/or upgrade to Win10 Pro, though the seller does state that it may last forever, it may not.

In my experience, so long as it isn't a MSDN key, they work. Microsoft tends to do a sweep of those once every year or so.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When I upgraded mobo/CPU/RAM a little while back (Intel to AMD upgrade) I had to re-enter my old Windows 7 retail key for it to activate again, despite having a digital license entitlement and logging in with MS account.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

When I upgraded mobo/CPU/RAM a little while back (Intel to AMD upgrade) I had to re-enter my old Windows 7 retail key for it to activate again, despite having a digital license entitlement and logging in with MS account.

Did you try running the activation troubleshooter? The license won't reactivate automatically.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

netBuff posted:

Did you try running the activation troubleshooter? The license won't reactivate automatically.

I'm pretty sure I did, and it just failed with no explanation.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah, the same happened to me to. Sadly, I'd list that key, but after bugging MS support, they gave me a new one for a copy of the new board invoice.

Rep did give me poo poo for having OpenShell installed, too.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

tight aspirations posted:

Rep did give me poo poo for having OpenShell installed, too.
lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My MSDN Win7 key (acquired fall 2009) still works for 10. I got it as part of that wacky deal the IEEE had going for students where you paid like $12/year for access to Windows, Visual Studio, Office (I think?), and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. Pretty sweet!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Weedle posted:

My MSDN Win7 key (acquired fall 2009) still works for 10. I got it as part of that wacky deal the IEEE had going for students where you paid like $12/year for access to Windows, Visual Studio, Office (I think?), and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. Pretty sweet!
Yeah, I dropped my MSDN subscription back when they changed the terms back in '09 or whatever and my Windows 7 keys from that still work to activate as 10 Pro on new machines as recently as a few months ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is my computer sometimes completely freezing (no mouse response) for minutes at a time (sometimes 15+min), before returning to normal, likely having a hard drive issue? This is a pretty new pc

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Is my computer sometimes completely freezing (no mouse response) for minutes at a time (sometimes 15+min), before returning to normal, likely having a hard drive issue? This is a pretty new pc

Could be? But I'd expect a HDD that was doing that would be dead by now. Or is this a SSD? There have been SSDs with firmware bugs that might do things like that.

Check reliability monitor (just type "reliability" in the start menu) to see if these issues are getting logged as major events. If there isn't anything related there, wait until the next one happens and then look at the event log (right click start -> event viewer) to see what just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Has anyone seen a license lose itself with a new proc on the same mobo?