Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I was thinking of selling my FAS and going back to the FDL but the jump range :ohdear: I might go in for the python because I need anime wings on my space planes.

If its anything to you, my jumprange before rolling 200% weight on two shield boosters was about 18.4 ly, and thats with about the worst possible roll on the T5 jumpdrive upgrade.
Roundabout 17.5 right now, but i plan on fixing that soon after i get the drives tuned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Do you still have to sell every module of your ship individually before the hull? or do they take it into account now?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Do you still have to sell every module of your ship individually before the hull? or do they take it into account now?
As far as I know, you still have to sell everything first.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Thronde posted:

How the gently caress did you fit it with 4 beams and still have power for poo poo else, also I really need to grind up healing beams it seems because that sounds awesome. They rep shields I assume?

They do and it is kind of hilariously OP, though I haven't tried it in PVP. My friend and I were killing transports for mats when we tried to do a convoy that had half a dozen anacondas and a bunch of other poo poo. Needless to say, we were getting rekt with me in my DBX and him in an FAS. He was about to lose shields when I hit him with the Friendship Beam. His shields recharged to full in ~2 seconds and we killed everything. Well, he killed everything and I kept him alive, but it was kind of stupid good fun.
:dance:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Also im pretty hyped about the upcomming ITEM STORAGE!!!!
We are what, 3 yeas in (?) and finally i can maybe have a mining outfit i can switch to instead of going to 5 stations in 4 systems every time?
Also a second set of lasers modified for solo combat instead of heals.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also im pretty hyped about the upcomming ITEM STORAGE!!!!
We are what, 3 yeas in (?) and finally i can maybe have a mining outfit i can switch to instead of going to 5 stations in 4 systems every time?
Also a second set of lasers modified for solo combat instead of heals.

Waitwhathowwhere?!

They actually said that? I was too distracted over the ship-teleporting tears to notice.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just checked this and holy cow what a dick move. You lose 10% of the cost of the modules if you just sell the ship with everything on it. I thought for sure you'd get full price for the modules, 10% off the ship. Numbers:
Sidewinder: cost 32,000
Sell: offered 28,800
Added reactive surface composite armor (139,424): offered (forgot to write this down but it was ~154k) not 28,800 + 139,424 = 167,424.

So yeah that sucks. I guess I lose money every time I buy a Hauler to be a taxi and fit it with an A class FSD and fuel scoopie and sell it outright when I get where I am going.

Regarding using the galaxy map in VR, I was doing a twitch stream yesterday and I was going from Lave to Delkar and I thought, "I have a pretty good idea of where that is and what is around it so let's just find it using the HOTAS." Nope, a minute later I take the hat off and go walk to the other room, type it in, hit enter, waggle the rotation left and right a bit so I can select it and tromp back to the VR room grumbling. Relying heavily on "open galaxy map" from the mission list, or having a handful of bookmarks really helps but space is so big, I don't want to go to just the same places over and over again!

Anyone with a GTX 1070 have a good configuration that isn't all alias-artifacted to hell and doesn't drop too many frames? Funny I can run this game at 100+ FPS on Ultra with 2.0x SuperSampling with the GPU at 100% usage, but in VR even "VR HIgh" reprojects like a mo-fo in the station. All that news from gamescom and not one question was if they're looking at doing FOVeated rendering, lens-matched shading, or implementing simultaneous stereo rendering using the new Nvidia stuff. I want my VR to be as beautiful as my desktop!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Waitwhathowwhere?!

They actually said that? I was too distracted over the ship-teleporting tears to notice.

I think it was in the latest newsletter with the 2.2 Guardians infos, which of course i cant access here at work, but this is basically a summary:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/elite-dangerous-guardians-2-2-details-guide/

quote:

You can now use ship transfers, so if you leave a ship in another system you no longer have to fly all the way back to get it, and instead can pay a fee based on size and distance in order to have it delivered directly to you. Plus, module storage is finally being introduced, and those too can be transferred around space. You can even do things like strip modules from a ship in bulk.

also:

quote:

At starports is a new "shady" contact that will allow you to pay off fines and claim bounties for any jurisdiction in the game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

I just checked this and holy cow what a dick move. You lose 10% of the cost of the modules if you just sell the ship with everything on it. I thought for sure you'd get full price for the modules, 10% off the ship. Numbers:
Sidewinder: cost 32,000
Sell: offered 28,800
Added reactive surface composite armor (139,424): offered (forgot to write this down but it was ~154k) not 28,800 + 139,424 = 167,424.

So yeah that sucks. I guess I lose money every time I buy a Hauler to be a taxi and fit it with an A class FSD and fuel scoopie and sell it outright when I get where I am going.

When you sell your ship, you get 90% of its current total.
Everything on it loses 10%.
Sell/downgrade everything first, if youre not rich.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is mining still strictly a solo affair or did they make rock chunks visible to your wingmates?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Is mining still strictly a solo affair or did they make rock chunks visible to your wingmates?

It was wingable before engineers.
Actually you can search for profitable asteroids in half the time, but you need to pay a little attention with positioning if you dont want your entire batch of active limpets smashing face first into an asteroid to get the rock chunk your mate has drilled loose on the other side.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Don't you also lose all those modules to the void if you do that, as opposed to when you go through the hassle of selling them individually, you can buy them back? Granted, if module storage becomes a thing, that whole mess will matter a lot less than it does now, but still…

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Don't you also lose all those modules to the void if you do that, as opposed to when you go through the hassle of selling them individually, you can buy them back? Granted, if module storage becomes a thing, that whole mess will matter a lot less than it does now, but still…

I guess so, ive never tried.
Buyback works until the instance reset i think, so i would never ever plan on it working anyways.

I think many peole overlook this fact, everytime you sell a ship, you lose at least 10% of the basic hull price.
If you sell an anaconda, youre throwing 14mil in the shitter.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It was wingable before engineers.
Cool, cheers.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
The real clever thing to do, w/r/t mining is to just bring 1 mining ship, but have 3 of your buddies tag along in combat ships. Go to a HazRES. HazRESes have really good quality rocks to dig, but no cops and tons of pirates. Your buddies deal with the pirates and collect sweet sweet bounties while you dig rocks in peace. Then, when you go unload your rocks at the station, your buddies also get a dividend! It's a win win win.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I just go to Algol to mine, because it has everything and is within jump distance from home. Also, no pesky NPCs to bother you.:D

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I have grinded my way to some High-End ships (Anaconda, Python, FdL, Asp, Imperial Clipper). If I downgrade and spend some fun-money on an Eagle, do my PvE opponents get downgraded, too? Or will I have to deal with engineer-boosted Anacondas?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Einbauschrank posted:

I have grinded my way to some High-End ships (Anaconda, Python, FdL, Asp, Imperial Clipper). If I downgrade and spend some fun-money on an Eagle, do my PvE opponents get downgraded, too? Or will I have to deal with engineer-boosted Anacondas?

I don't think it's based on your rank as such. NPCs for missions spawn based on the mission rank. I do not believe the NPCs you encounter in the 'wild' such as res site NPCs change at all.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'll take your anaconda if you don't want it anymore.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I thought Frontier tacitly admitted to having some kind of scaling related to combat rank in some patch notes around the 2.1 launch or something.

Also there is/was some kind of scaling to NPC spawns related to wing size. People found that out trying to grind powerplay merits by interdicting and murdering enemy NPCs repeatedly. Don't know if that was ever confirmed to influence RES sites or not.

In any case I don't think there's been any evidence of scaling based on what ship you're flying yet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

There's some amount of scaling based on ship (spawns got noticeably nastier once I upgraded from Asp to Anaconda), but mostly in terms of what ships you come up against. If you downgrade to an Eagle, you'll probably be coming up against engineer-boosted Eagles and Vipers instead of engineer-boosted Anacondas.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Main Paineframe posted:

There's some amount of scaling based on ship (spawns got noticeably nastier once I upgraded from Asp to Anaconda), but mostly in terms of what ships you come up against. If you downgrade to an Eagle, you'll probably be coming up against engineer-boosted Eagles and Vipers instead of engineer-boosted Anacondas.

This is correct. in my ASP I would get pulled over by clippers, pythons, Fedships

In my vulture I'm getting pulled over by Vipers, Cobras, etc. No change in rank (dangerous).

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

I wish there was some way to set what you wanted, either by going to certain places which are of a certain type (larger ships vs smaller ships, or engineer ships vs stock) or just being able to set it directly. I was in my Vulture and was in a high res blasting away on Anacondas and FDLs for an hour and having a great time, getting like 2M in bounties in an hour, and I said "Let's go get the Anaconda!" Flew back and switched ships and went back to the exact same place and it was all Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, Eagle, Cobra, Cobra, Imperial Eagle, Cobra. I tried logging out and back in, same ship assortment. I switched to solo play, same ships. I wouldn't mind as much but they only spawn so fast and killing a dude for 10-30k bounty every 4-5 minutes is balls. Especially if the space cops come and destroy the poor fellow before I can get my 800 ton rear end over to him.

It's like playing a fantasy MMOG where all the dungeons are filled with random level dudes, that spawn one at a time, on the other side of the dungeon.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

This is correct. in my ASP I would get pulled over by clippers, pythons, Fedships

In my vulture I'm getting pulled over by Vipers, Cobras, etc. No change in rank (dangerous).

I've been spending a lot of time in the Vulture lately and still getting clippers and FdLs. Are people actually recording data on this or is it all anecdotal?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

timn posted:

I've been spending a lot of time in the Vulture lately and still getting clippers and FdLs. Are people actually recording data on this or is it all anecdotal?

Purely anecdotal. I'm not really a "numbers" or "math" kind of guy.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It makes sense to me that you get interdicted by an appropriate threat. I thought res was static though.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Best analogy I can think of is that RESes have like a set of tables populated with ships. It seems RNG based, so if you get a good roll, you'll load into the RES with a good table, chock full of FdLs, Condas, Fedships and Clippers. Or you'll get a lovely table with adders, sideys, and cobras. Just keep relogging and eventually you'll get a good RES.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Best analogy I can think of is that RESes have like a set of tables populated with ships. It seems RNG based, so if you get a good roll, you'll load into the RES with a good table, chock full of FdLs, Condas, Fedships and Clippers. Or you'll get a lovely table with adders, sideys, and cobras. Just keep relogging and eventually you'll get a good RES.

This is consistent with my experience at least. In “my” RES, I've had those long strings of junk ships until I've run out of ammo or just given up waiting for something fun, and when I try again a little later, it's all Condas all the time.

I suppose it could still just be a single spawn list, with a string of bad rolls in the first case and good ones in the second, but it just feels too consistent for that.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Do the new engineer mods make the faction modules obsolete now? I never really did any of the faction grind because none of the things really floated my boat for heading out in an Asp-E, which is probably for the best if their stuff isn't as useful as a normal item with mods.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Valatar posted:

Do the new engineer mods make the faction modules obsolete now? I never really did any of the faction grind because none of the things really floated my boat for heading out in an Asp-E, which is probably for the best if their stuff isn't as useful as a normal item with mods.

Most of the PP modules are moddable too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Main Paineframe posted:

Most of the PP modules are moddable too.

Hey wait! Is your av Geoff? That's dope. :thumbsup:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Putting 5 missile launchers on my asp is the greatest thing ever. I even managed to loving dunk an NPC FDL that interdicted me.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey wait! Is your av Geoff? That's dope. :thumbsup:

No idea. I just punched vague terms into Google Image Search and picked something that looked cool

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
This ship and module transporting stuff is pretty neat. Honestly wouldn't mind being able to order modules from some sort of galaxy wide ebay and have them brought to my home station :v:

Any news about being able to call in bounties? I've got a chunk of change waiting for me in Alliance space, but the jump range on my FAS is awful.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Capn Beeb posted:

This ship and module transporting stuff is pretty neat. Honestly wouldn't mind being able to order modules from some sort of galaxy wide ebay and have them brought to my home station :v:

Any news about being able to call in bounties? I've got a chunk of change waiting for me in Alliance space, but the jump range on my FAS is awful.

Sounds like you need to modify yo poo poo! I got the hookup right here:

The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
2 runs for loving 50 cigars that are only sold by one station in the galaxy in batches of not-50.
2.5 hours of buggying for a single loving drop of (3) Tellurium.
14 jumps to get grid somethings, 16 jumps back.
Outcome: 35.13MW power plant on my FDL.

Thanks Hera, it was totally worth it.
But i dont think i want to see you ever again.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Always sell/downgrade first save those credits they do add up.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Being able to visit the "shady" contact to get bounties from out-of-system will be a godsend. I don't know where Wolf 30124 Independents operates. I was maybe through their space once when a dick NPC interdicted me and I don't want to travel ~200LY to get the bounty of 10k. If it was a bounty of 10 mil, that would make me head out of my way to claim it.

Being able to filter scoopable stars for travelling across the entire galaxy will also be great. Sometimes I want to fly a ship that might not have much range, but it's fun to fly. I manage to get a scoop on it, and I don't want to take a detour across the entire system to fuel up.

Not to mention I can also just ship something like an iggle to Farseer's system and grab the awesome upgrades to have an awesome space racer without actually needing to fly the iggle there myself.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Being able to filter scoopable stars for travelling across the entire galaxy will also be great. Sometimes I want to fly a ship that might not have much range, but it's fun to fly. I manage to get a scoop on it, and I don't want to take a detour across the entire system to fuel up.

You can already filter your galaxy map to display scoopable stars. If you go into (I think, phone posting) filters on one of the tabs, there is a drop down menu with all the star types. The first 5 or so types on that list are scoopable and you can set it so your map highlights them. You can't plan a route automatically using only them yet, but you can do it manually.

edit: Fuel Rats explain it better than me: Link

PyroDwarf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Scoopable stars are:

Oh
Be
A
Fine
Girl