Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
You lost any good will by being a juggalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol if you don't enjoy the weird racism that ends up in manga

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Jose posted:

Lol if you don't enjoy the weird racism that ends up in manga

This is a cracker post if i've ever seen one

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Veskit posted:

His post is sending cookie warriors to attack you?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Veskit posted:

As a jew i'm a big fan of all the insane poo poo that ends up in riki-oh

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
everytime a manga talks about or shows china or a chinese character i always prep myself for the worst and its always worse than i could have imagined even in mangas trying to preach good messages

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Can anyone tell me what the obvious mistranslation was that lead it to appear like sanji was chased around homo island for two years by men who wanted to gently caress him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

Can anyone tell me what the obvious mistranslation was that lead it to appear like sanji was chased around homo island for two years by men who wanted to gently caress him.

he's sexy and waht is wrong with the men wanting to gently caress him

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
one piece is going to be an ageless okama man

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Okama thing never seemed offensive to me. At least I never felt it was coming from a place of hatred. Especially with Bon Clay and Ivankov being portrayed as awesome people and Luffy's friends. I know dick about Japanese culture though, so I don't know if it's at all comparable to homophobia or transphobia. Maybe being used as comedy is offensive and it's coming from a place of ignorance from Oda? I don't know, but not hateful imo.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

loving white people excusing homophobia and racism please knock it loving offffff

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Flubby posted:

The Okama thing never seemed offensive to me. At least I never felt it was coming from a place of hatred. Especially with Bon Clay and Ivankov being portrayed as awesome people and Luffy's friends. I know dick about Japanese culture though, so I don't know if it's at all comparable to homophobia or transphobia. Maybe being used as comedy is offensive and it's coming from a place of ignorance from Oda? I don't know, but not hateful imo.

With the exception of Bon Clay, Ivankov and scissor person i forget the name of, almost every single time an okama is on screen the joke is they're ugly, weird and think they're cute girls!!!!. "Ew gay people" is the constant punchline.
it's not great!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol man we are gonna have a fun time here aren't we

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The thing by the Toriko author in the new issue of Jump about Oda is very good

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

lol man we are gonna have a fun time here aren't we
Or... or maybe the other guy will go, "Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of it that way. It's a pretty dehumanizing joke considering it's about a real identity that people have. Those people are often considered freaks in the real world, and the fear that a trans woman was coming on to a man has actually gotten people killed before, and that's tragic. The joke doesn't seem so funny now." And it could be a great learning experience?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

rannum posted:

With the exception of Bon Clay, Ivankov and scissor person i forget the name of, almost every single time an okama is on screen the joke is they're ugly, weird and think they're cute girls!!!!. "Ew gay people" is the constant punchline.
it's not great!

Add on that they're all ready to molest sanji... Trans women being weird rapey men isn't really a new stereotype

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

Pretty sure they weren't trying to gently caress him, just make him wear a dress.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Dragon's army is actually after a revolution for LGBT acceptance, although this still makes him the most wanted man in the world. The Elder ciStars won't stand for it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Dragon's army is actually after a revolution for LGBT acceptance, although this still makes him the most wanted man in the world. The 5 Elder ciStars won't stand for it.

You joke, but I do sort of wonder if identifying as okama, or maybe even homosexuality or transsexuality regardless of the label, is seen as vaguely seditious in the One Piece world by association with Ivankov, or, conversely, if people are drawn to the Revolutionary Army because the current social order doesn't accept their identity (even if this isn't primarily due to anything the World Government does).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 19, 2017

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Eh, One Piece world doesn't seem to care one way or the other when it comes to sexual preference. I mean, except for that one guy Ivankov turned into a woman. But who wouldn't be horrified feeling their penis shrink into nothing and disappear. That had to feel weird. Whatever was happening there to change genitals.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Silver2195 posted:

Pretty sure they weren't trying to gently caress him, just make him wear a dress.

Yeah, they thought Sanji was in the closet due to a misunderstanding. They still chased him for weeks (months?) even though he said they were wrong about him, so... eeeeeh? Then again, when they caught him and put him in a dress, he actually super liked it, idk wtf.

rannum posted:

it's not great!

True. On the other hand, they're universally represented as good people. Oda might depict them as "ugly and weird", but they're down to fight an oppressive government, lay down their lives to save a friend's brother, cover your escape from the navy, donate their life's blood. Even the bit with chasing Sanji around with a dress could be seen encouraging someone to be honest with themselves and that he's in a safe space and among friends. It's just Sanji that sees them as monsters.

Okay, that's a bit of a stretch, but you see my point.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Its good that all the Okama with any character are treated as extremely good and heroic people, it is also bad that they are all treated as jokes and ugly.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Agreed.

That's also part of the reason I want Crocodile to be trans. You can't make Croc not be hot and badass.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one piece is 20 years old

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
happy birthday, one piece!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Happy birthday, One Piece!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
big deal, i'm 30.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Happy Birthday Countblanc!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Happy Birthday One Piece! A friend brought in a shonen jump magazine to Junior High and I thought an angry pirate clown and an acrobat swordsman was pretty rad. Here's to another 20 more.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I, uh, discovered One Piece through the 4Kids dub, but I found it to be great fun. While I didn't properly go through the whole manga until the end of Punk Hazard, I remembered this cool show I watched when I was younger. Since then I've read the whole manga so far about 3 times, seen a fair few anime related things including all the movies and I think One Piece is one of the best things ever. Here's to 20 more years!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I knew of it for a while but never really got into the show until I watched the dub on Hulu after finishing Baccano for like two years until they stopped putting new episodes on because the sub clips and fantranslation of the manga I saw both looked like garbage (because they were).

I actually watched the 4Kids dub with some friends as part of bad movie day, and it's not that bad, horrible OST replacing a god-tier one aside. Like yeah, it's a poo poo dub but it got away with way more violence than I thought it would, and it's not like universal smash hit DBZ had an amazing dub either, by the VA's own admission.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

much as i like one piece i'd prefer to read the end before i'm 50

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Jesus I started watching one piece when i was 20 and now I'm 32. Congrats I missed the thing for 8 years and somehow managed to still be semi og.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
When I started the manga was in Alabasta or close after it. To think how late I started and still the manga keeps rolling along. Here's to like 10 years more, because do we really need 40 years of one piece? I feel old enough already.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I like One Piece a lot but I kinda don't want more than another decade of it to resolve this stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I only just caught up with the series (not sure why I avoided it for so long to be honest as it's quickly become one of my favorites). But yeah, hopefully at this point they'll be able to wrap things up in another year or two at the very least (maybe 5 at the most).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

five years at most haha. it's going to be 10 years at least

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I first got into One Piece through the 4kids dub, and then caught up with the anime over one summer in high school. Ah, back when you could spend a day just watching ten hours of anime. I think it was around the end of Water 7, so just about ten years ago.

I wouldn't mind ten more!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I started watching OP in college after it was recommended to me in the sidebar while watching Soul Eater. I'd seen an episode on 4kids years before, but thought it was some stupid garbage at the time. Started reading when I wanted to find out what happened after and the animation quality dropped like a stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
15ish years now, hell yeah