Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Stalin wanted to acquire as much of Manchuria as possible before the conclusion of the war and forces were being redeployed to that part of the world from the European theatre. The forces involved were massive. In the event the USSR has 1.5 million soldiers versus the 1 million of the Japanese. To this end it directly serves Stalin's interests to prolong the war between Japan and the USSR for as long as possible. (This is the same guy that just watched the Warsaw uprising and let his armies stand idly be as it was ruthlessly suppressed by German forces.)

From what I understand the Japanese were somehow delusionally hoping that the USSR would broker some kind of negotiated peace to end the war. The USSR were playing delaying tactics, promising to meet and not and just trying to keep the hope that a negotiated peace was possible for as long as possible.

The "Battlefield" documentary series (Leyte Gulf episode) even claims that the USSR warned Japan of the air attack on Formosa, hoping to prolong the war further. (Cannot find a more credible source on this)

After the hiroshima bomb was dropped, the Soviet invasion of Japan in Manchuria started 3 days later. There were more than a little shenanigans in Japanese politics at this time with an attempted coup and a wax recording.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%ABj%C5%8D_incident

Attribution of events in this can be tricky. The US narrative likes to position the fact that dropping the bombs ended the war. Even though in strategic military terms dropping an atomic bomb or the massive bombing raids as were being conducted to destroy Japanese cities varied little.

The invasion of Manchuria of 1.5 million soviet soldiers and a certain end to any kind of negotiated peace seems like a more likely reason (to me anyway) as to why Japan surrendered when it did.

Although, Stalin at least must have been concerned that Japan would surrender after the first atomic bomb as he invaded Manchuria shortly after. Or the timings might have just been coincidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC the Soviet invasion was timed for the absolute last day to get some sort of agreed-upon concession for joining the war before that date.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ArchangeI posted:

There are a couple of holes with that theory, foremost the fact that the US leaned heavily on the Soviet Union to enter the war in Asia. Stalin demanded supplies and equipment, and only declared war after they had been delivered. The US knew that the Soviets were entering the war, because they asked them to. It makes no sense to ask them to and then try to end the war before they do.

Everything you've said is correct, but I don't think it undercuts a US motivation to preempt the Soviet invasion. They certainly wanted them in, because if the invasion of the home islands was going to have to go ahead, you want as many troops as possible busy elsewhere. But if your wonder-weapon has even a possibility of ending the war early, then you don't need a Soviet intervention, because you already have all the keys to victory in your hand, so it's still bonus points to you if you can win before your allies join the fight.

BattleMoose posted:

Although, Stalin at least must have been concerned that Japan would surrender after the first atomic bomb as he invaded Manchuria shortly after. Or the timings might have just been coincidental.

Yeah, the bombs being dropped didn't influence Stalin one bit, the invasion of Manchuria began exactly when he had agreed to begin it at Potsdam. Though there certainly was pressure to get the bombs dropped before then, if possible. If memory serves, the biggest thing holding them back was weather.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

PittTheElder posted:

If memory serves, the biggest thing holding them back was weather.

Trinity was July 16th which is about twenty days before Hiroshima. I can't find information on when Little Boy was actually ready to go but Fat Man didn't arrive in Tinian until July 28 where it had to be checked, rechecked, and checked again. I suppose Nagasaki/Kokura could've happened a couple days earlier but that's a pretty expedited schedule.

Like I said though, couldn't find information on when Little Boy was ready in my admittedly brief search. I suspect it was ready earlier due to its slightly easier manufacturing and the earlier date of Hiroshima. But Trinity tested the gun design version of Fat Man so maybe not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No, Little Boy definitely was an easier weapon to assemble. And yeah the weather delay wasn't long, on the order of 1-2 days if memory serves, but I'd have to go recheck Making of the Atomic Bomb to be sure.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

We get started on German Artillery Projectiles.

What colour system did they use? What markings were stamped on the projectiles, and which ones were stencilled?
What is the meaning for the numbers after Panzergranate? (Hint: It's not the year!)
What marking was used for tropical climates?

All that and more at the blog!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 24, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WW2 Data

We get started on German Artillery Projectiles.

What colour system did they use? What markings were stamped on the projectiles, and which ones were stencilled?
What is the meaning for the numbers after Panzergranate? (Hint: It's not the year!)
What marking was used for tropical climates?

All that and more at the blog!

link appears ded :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

link appears ded :(

Should be fixed

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As has been stated, the key thing to note is that the Atomic Bombs were not dropped as a unique effort to end the war - they should be seen as an escalation of the ongoing strategic bombing campaign, with two bombings close together to demonstrate to the Japanese that the escalation was not a one off.

Crucially for the surrender argument, it should be noted that the political decision to deploy the weapons was made by Truman in ~April 1945 and from then until August he gets the occasional update from the military planning teams but crucial decisions are all made by the military. Indeed, Truman is only notified of each actual bombing after the fact, the second time of which he changes the policy so that no more can be dropped without his explicit say-so. So 'did the Atomic bombs force Japan to surrender?' is an interesting question, but it should be placed in a context where the actions of the US government don't particularly indicate that they expected this to be the straw that broke the back of Japanese intransigence.

The other problem is that all the contemporaneous Japanese sources lied through their teeth to everyone and themselves both during the war and afterwards. When it's possible to have serious disagreement over whether Hirohito was a passive actor up till the surrender or an enthusiastic driver of imperial policy, it's impossible to ever really know what happened in those meetings.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BattleMoose posted:

This is the same guy that just watched the Warsaw uprising and let his armies stand idly be as it was ruthlessly suppressed by German forces.)

Point of fact here though there was an attempt by the Soviet comprised Polish army to relieve Warsaw, and there seems to be disagreement here and a reasonable explanation that the Soviets were at the end of their logistical tether; attempting to liberate Warsaw would've been costly, and perhaps made them vulnerable to a counterattack.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Or you could let people who would oppose Stalin and the communists after the war die out.

I guess Stalin didn't want supply aircraft landing on Russian airfields after they dropped supplies for Warsaw because of a counter-attack or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It can be from both columns. After 3 years of seeing the Germans turn around and smash every Soviet offensive that was even a little over-ambitious any sensible person in Stalin's shoes would have let Bagration stop where planned. On the other hand, Stalin certainly took advantage of the Poles misplaying their hand for the sake of his post-war plans for Europe.

Note that the Soviet offensive doesn't get going again after the offensive fails - the advances from August to the end of December are all about gaining ground in the north and south to knock out the Axis minors and cut off AGN.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Today is Confederate Memorial Day in Alabama and Mississippi. Five other states celebrate it on different days including Louisiana on Wednesday. They're kicking off the week by tearing down four Confederate memorials in New Orleans, which has made racists so salty that the workers tearing them down have to wear masks and non-descript work clothes to avoid retribution.

I dunno what the big deal is, this about state rights not rac-
]

Oh. Oh my.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Should be fixed

Still dead

Edit: Wait now it works

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 24, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

zoux posted:

I dunno what the big deal is, this about state rights not rac-
]

Oh. Oh my.

Thats actually not a civil war monument, but the monument to The Battle of Liberty Place.

The original monument inscription was even worse, if you can believe it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wikipedia says it was dismantled today?

Shame, would have been better to draw a big cock and balls on it or something I think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Wikipedia says it was dismantled today?

Shame, would have been better to draw a big cock and balls on it or something I think.

Here's a story on it. The other three slated to come down are honoring RE Lee, PGT Beauregard and Jefferson Davis. Article notes that the city council voted to take them down in 2015, but had to defeat a bunch of legal challenges before they could.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Part 1: Arriving in South Africa
Part 2: The Reality of Combat/Getting Stuck In/WATERSPORTS!
Part 3: March Marching Madness/Trench Sniping/CANADIANS!
Part 4: Boer Guns, Hunger Marches and Bloody Charges With The Gordon Highlanders

Part 5: Occupying Pretoria, Rest And Christmas In South Africa.

quote:

The Diary of 2874 L/Cpl. A. W Rose
2nd DLCI- His Experiences in the South African War
9th October 1899-28th of December 1901

June 1st: Still in camp, on Pigs meal. The people at home little know what we are going through. Nothing to eat and perished with cold at night. It is enough to kill anyone - but keep on smiling.

June 2nd: We are still in camp, cannot move until our convoy arrives. Thank god it arrived this afternoon and now we are fit to march to Pretoria, a distance of 36 miles.

June 3rd: Marched off at 7 am and marched 19 miles and camped for the night, no signs of the enemy today.

June 4th: Whit Monday. Moved out of camp intending to get to Pretoria today. We had gone about 14 miles when we were fired on from some very high hills in front of us. We quickly opened out and up the hills we went and soon drove them out of it. It was here I avenged by(sic) chum, shooting 2 Boers dead and wounded three. Here I first saw Pretoria - my feet were that sore I could hardly put my feet to the ground, I feel properly done up - the same as Doormkop - had to sleep on the ground we had won without anything to eat and only one thin blanket - sleep out of the question. This is the hardest day's work I have ever done.

June 5th: Marched off towards Prerotia, the distance being about 4 miles, but halted about 2 miles from it, as we were going to march in at 2 pm. After a good rest we were formed up and started, the Derby Band playing and our Regt had the honour of leading the way (and) when we got to Krugers house we had orders to 'fix bayonets'.

We turned into the Square and marched past Lord Roberts and what surprised me most was the large number of people waiting to cheer us. They were all wearing the Red White and Blue and they cheered us again and again. I am sure I don't know they thought of us with hardly anything to cover ourselves with, but we were just as proud as them today. There are some very fine buildings here and in the centre of the town there is an half finished statute of Kruger, but it is not a fine town by any means. I am wondering if we have finished yet as this is their capital but we shall see.

British Soldiers standing guard in Pretoria and a Postcard covering the campaign to this point.

June 6th: Rested today. We were told that our Regt was going to garrison Johannesburg.

June 7th: Started again on the march to Middleburg. Marched about 15 miles. Camped on the Veldt.

June 8th: After marching about a mile from camp we were stopped and turned back to go on the line of communication between Irene and Zurrfontein. I was at Irene, a very nice place. Streams of pure cold water running through the camp, in fact this is the best water we have had since we left Graspan last February. I stayed here 14 days.

June 23rd: Received orders to proceed to Zurrfontein. Entrained about 4 pm and arrived about 9 pm doing the distance of 18 miles in 5 hours in train.

June 24th: Still at Zurrfontein. Had to go and buy a pair of trousers as mine were beyond mending for which i still had to pay 15 shillings. (1)

June 25th: Received orders that me and Corporal Creese were to proceed to Irene to form signalling station. Arrived at Irene and was sent up to Cornwall Hill to open communications with Pretoria.

August 6th: Received orders to join Robert's Horse as a signaller to go on a column with them towards Rustenburg.

August 7th: We had a fight near Rustenburg and beat the Boers easily.

August 9th: Returned to Irene where I got orders to rejoin my Regt at Pretoria.

August 10th: Rejoined the Regt today and was surprised to see how well everybody was looking after their rest. I was put on Head Quarters Station.

August 11th: Still in camp at Pretoria was told we are to garrison Pretoria.

August 15th: Received orders to proceed on detachment to Johonston Redoubt with F Company about 3 miles the other side of the town. Arrived about 5 pm. This is the best place we have had for sleeping since we had been in the country, a large place having been built for that purpose. I hope we are here until the war is over.

August 25th: Disapointed again having been here only 10 days. We had orders to proceed by rail to Groot Olifants River about 70 miles up country. Entrained at 7:30 am riding all the way in cattle trucks, arrived at 4:30 pm. This is a very food camping ground, plenty of good water.

September 2nd: Having stayed here just one week we had orders to march into Middleburg, (2) a distance of 12 miles arrived about 8 pm. We found out that my company was to go and relieve a company of the Irish Fusiliers on Gun Hill about 4 miles the other side of the Town. This is not a very nice place no food or water.

1)Many contemporary accounts mention that the army was reduced to a very ragged state, with all sorts of civilian clothes being worn in lieu of uniform. 15 shills equals 75 pence.
2) A town on the Pretoria/Loeurenco Marques railway, about 80 miles ease of Pretoria.

The Town of Middleburg is a very small place, the most conspicuous is the church and it is I think the prettiest church I have seen, built entirely of white stone which has a striking appearince when the sun is shining on it. Our Regt is split up into six different lots guarding the Town and Railway. We are living very well here.

November 25th: Had order to rejoin Headquarters for the purpose of going to Groot Olifants River with D Company as signaller. Left by train arrived at 10:30. I have been to this place before and very comfortable here if they will let me stop. There are plenty of Boers about here. Still keeping in splendid health and preparing for Christmas.

December 2nd: Received orders to proceed to Punaaispoort(?), a place about 18 miles out of Pretoria. Left here by train at 2 pm. Reached Bronkerhorst Spruit at 6:30 pm where we had to stop the night as the trains don't run after dark.

December 3rd: Got up early this morning and went to see the Graves of the men the Boers murderer in 1881.(1) Continued our ride at 9:15 am which we reached at 11 am and was put on a signalling station to work in connection with The Telegraph Office. There are plenty of Boers in the vicinity and expect wer shall see some fun.

December 16th: Had orders to go up the hills today as it is very unhealthy down here.

December 25th: Christmas Day. We had a very good dinner today, roast beef, fowl and potatoes and plum pudding, with a pint of beer for dinner. Went to Erster Fabrieten(?) om tje afternoon to play the KOSBs(2) at football - after a very enjoyable game - being beaten by 3 to 1 - had another pint of beer.

1901:

January 15th: Twelve years service today - went down to the plain again to relieve the other men who are to go up into the hills - a splendid place for health up the hills. I am keeping in splendid helath.

January 20th: Plenty of troops going up country to Belfast. (3) At least 20, 000 must have passed here this week, so someone is in for it.

January 24th: Received a Telegram announcing the sad news of our beloved Queen which has cast a gloom over this Country.

January 27th: We received the news today that Prince of Wales had been made King of England. Long live the King.

1)First Boer War
2)KOSB abbreviation for Kings Own Scottish Borderers.
3)A town on the Pretoria/Lourenco Marques railway, 120 miles east of Pretoria.

The open battle between large concentrated armies phase of the war is over, but the Boer commandos will not surrender despite the states being occupied. New tactics are brought in with railways, signal stations, mounted patrols and block houses to fight and eventually wear down the Boer Commando. Amongst all this the infamous concentration camps pop up and the very property and farms of these men is seized and burnt.

The latter elements of this conflict will not be forgotten and would lead to turmoil that will come to cause problems in the coming Great War and the people of South Africa for generations to come.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 24, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh jeez.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/24/russians-storm-replica-reichstag-military-disneyland-patriot-park

quote:

Nearly 2,000 people have taken part in a re-enactment of the 1945 storming of the Reichstag by the Red Army in a “military Disneyland” on the outskirts of Moscow.

The Russian defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, was among 5,000 spectators on Sunday who watched as men dressed as soldiers attacked a mock-up of the Berlin landmark.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The other problem is that all the contemporaneous Japanese sources lied through their teeth to everyone and themselves both during the war and afterwards. When it's possible to have serious disagreement over whether Hirohito was a passive actor up till the surrender or an enthusiastic driver of imperial policy, it's impossible to ever really know what happened in those meetings.

Seriously, the decision making processes going on within the Japanese government are fascinating. I keep hoping that maybe there's still records of all this stuff that historians will get to access one day, but something tells me the same contemporaneous actors would have destroyed them all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Point of order, 10 shillings was 120 pence, or half of a pound. This wasn't one of those crazy bastardised New Shillings I recall from my childhood :sun:

I asked our Historian who originally transcribed these diaries we've got and the man himself hasn't got a clue. It certainly wasn't him with the evidence above what with his age being at least in his seventies.

There doesn't appear to be a name at all on the other ones. I must find out who did the hard work though!

The most worrying part of all this is that it isn't the Nazi Reichstag building.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously, the decision making processes going on within the Japanese government are fascinating. I keep hoping that maybe there's still records of all this stuff that historians will get to access one day, but something tells me the same contemporaneous actors would have destroyed them all.

There's probably still some incredibly dank stuff that the imperial household agency will never, ever, ever let see the light of day.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

The most worrying part of all this is that it isn't the Nazi Reichstag building.

It seems more embarrassingly immature than annoying. Makes me wonder how the Daily Mail would re-organise an re-enactment.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It reminds me of kiddie Peter The Great playing soldier, which was super serious reinacment that actually got a few children of nobles killed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

It seems more embarrassingly immature than annoying. Makes me wonder how the Daily Mail would re-organise an re-enactment.

Reverse dunkirk to go capture calais or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nah, It'd be the Victorian version of Waterloo.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

It reminds me of kiddie Peter The Great playing soldier, which was super serious reinacment that actually got a few children of nobles killed.

Always have your army classified as an after school club for tax reasons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

idk I think the resemblance to the current glass dome is unintentional, now the original Reichstag looked like this

but in 1945 it war reduced to this

which isn't far from this

but also not too far from this, so I can see the confusion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nah, It'd be the Victorian version of Waterloo.

Waterloo except Wellington defeats *both* the French and the Prussians.

Nenonen posted:

idk I think the resemblance to the current glass dome is unintentional, now the original Reichstag looked like this

but in 1945 it war reduced to this

which isn't far from this

but also not too far from this, so I can see the confusion.

I think it's still a bit more like the modern building, since it's missing the statue on the front of the roof.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's a pretty cut-rate model of either building.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

zoux posted:

Today is Confederate Memorial Day in Alabama and Mississippi. Five other states celebrate it on different days including Louisiana on Wednesday.

Not quite right. Louisiana is June 3, which is a state holiday but not actually a day off even for state employees.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a pretty cut-rate model of either building.
do you know how rare it is getting to reenact with buildings at all though?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

Could you make a longer post about this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ulmont posted:

Not quite right. Louisiana is June 3, which is a state holiday but not actually a day off even for state employees.

My mistake. Also, in looking at the history of that memorial I posted earlier, the white supremacy language was added to it in the 30's and in the 70's they erected a monument next to it that basically said "we don't agree with that monument".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I mean people reenact Picket's Charge at Gettysburg itself here in the US, soooooo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean people reenact Picket's Charge at Gettysburg itself here in the US, soooooo

They should've re-enacted the taking of the Reichstag in Berlin, where it used to be.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Fangz posted:

Makes me wonder how the Daily Mail would re-organise an re-enactment.

A bunch of fat white dudes in red coats shooting minorities. :britain:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So basically fox hunting parties taken the next logical step?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Pontius Pilate posted:

But Trinity tested the gun design version of Fat Man so maybe not.

That's kind of incorrect, Trinity was a test of an implosion weapon, on the exact same principle as Fat Man. There was a design for a gun type bomb using plutonium (which is the closest thing I can think of to a gun type Fat Man, it was called Thin Man), but it wouldn't have been workable without an obscenely large projectile velocity (and long bomb), as plutonium-240 contamination would have made it start fissioning to early and fizzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I actually think this is cool.