Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ikanreed posted:

Is there any meaning to any of the gifs?
Not now there isn't, but you're gonna be kicking yourself in 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

here's a link to a translation of the interview

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat Japanese Denny's looks dope

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I hope Toby got to take the yume nikki dev to Denny's

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Do you ever think about the fact that this eight year wait is not for an entire completed game but in fact for just 4/7ths of a game and that the full game will essentially have a 10 to 12 year dev cycle(optimistic).

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
Look I'm just looking forward to watching HBO adapt it in its entirety after chapter 5 comes out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Do you ever think about the fact that this eight year wait is not for an entire completed game but in fact for just 4/7ths of a game and that the full game will essentially have a 10 to 12 year dev cycle(optimistic).

If I was paying to fund the game's completion and there were 0 updates I'd have a problem with it. As it stands, things just quietly continue to be worked on out of my control and various other forms of entertainment announce that Toby Fox is contributing to the music in some fashion. So on top of it being very hard for me to find the motivation to get angry over video games the way you've probably seen recently with Stellar Blade or black make samurai and female shinobi in the upcoming Assassin's Creed Shadows game (aside from when I'm having trouble with a boss or grinding an item drop for the 18th time in general I don't really get mad about video games) I don't have any real problems with it.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 18, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yasuke, the black jesuit samurai, should be in every assasin's creed game.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Is there a lore reason that Deltarune isn't out yet?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For my money, Toby can take as long as he wants on Deltarune, as long as the finished product fulfills his dream for it. This is an auteur project, and I’m happy to wait as long as it takes to see it brought to fruition - but if it ends up being rushed or compromised, then I’ll be mad about how long it took to be disappointed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah it has to be released on a numerologically significant date

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Delt Reltum Forever gonna be lit

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Is there a lore reason that Deltarune isn't out yet?

I told Toby not to finish it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

Delt Reltum Forever gonna be lit

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I feel bad for Toby's hands

I just don't want him to destroy himself in his pursuit of this

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It will be more real than Barkley 2, in that it will exist at some point in the future in a playable state. Also, there's other games to pass the time and I really don't care as long as everyone he's working with is getting paid for their time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Bystander posted:

It will be more real than Barkley 2, in that it will exist at some point in the future in a playable state.

Hey hey, give me some time, I just gotta wrap up the Neophyte series first.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Tunicate posted:

Hey hey, give me some time, I just gotta wrap up the Neophyte series first.

drat, didn't expect salt to get rubbed in my 30 year old wound today

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Raiad posted:

drat, didn't expect salt to get rubbed in my 30 year old wound today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18hdoBFMqo

I actually have both a full serverdump that includes the plans for the rest of the neophyte series, and the legal ability to do it. Starting with remaking spirit master tho since i am still learning Godot 4.

Barkley Gaiden Gaiden 2 comes after that, picking up after the end of Barkley Gaiden Gaiden (which, just to keep track, happens after barkley 3, which was the fake barkley 2)

After that I will blackmail Romero with photos from his office Christmas party until he lets me do Keen.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

i swear to god if my dad threw away my 10 dollars off aliensoft supporter coupon, i'm gonna be so mad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I told Toby not to finish it

Thank you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It's hard for me to get mad at how long DELTARUNE development is taking when I know the game will be a 11 out of 10 and will dominate every corner of the internet I visit with cool video essays, alternate story path info, soundtrack releases, hidden detail vids, tons of funny poo poo on here, twitter, etc and i will eat them all up, all of it for literally months

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I want Toby to make exactly the game he wants no matter how long it takes because I got a feeling it'll be the last game he heads up. He'll obviously continue doing other stuff but I don't think we're gonna see another full Toby Fox game.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023

beep by grandpa posted:

It's hard for me to get mad at how long DELTARUNE development is taking when I know the game will be a 11 out of 10 and will dominate every corner of the internet I visit with cool video essays, alternate story path info, soundtrack releases, hidden detail vids, tons of funny poo poo on here, twitter, etc and i will eat them all up, all of it for literally months

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Feels like five minutes though doesn't it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Toby made Undertale, he’s already hit S rank on his career as far as I’m concerned and can tinker away at Deltarune as long as he wants. Maybe it’s for the best that it’s the game dev version of a project car instead of getting rushed out or killed by VC or some bullshit.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Toby is the next GRRM and he will die of old age before the final chapter is released

I don’t make the future, I merely know it

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

beep by grandpa posted:

I mean Undertale just got a complete fan game released, so probably years, TBH.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
Having a game now would be great, of course. But I've gotten a banger soundtrack and more playtime out of the free demo than I have out of some full price games. It's easier to be patient when the dev has 1.2 successful games under his belt.

I do question the wisdom of baking in a secondary creepypasta storyline when he's having delays in getting the game finished, though. Nobody asked him to do that, we all would have been fine with the No Mercy route being a one-off in Undertale.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Waffle Shake posted:

I do question the wisdom of baking in a secondary creepypasta storyline when he's having delays in getting the game finished, though. Nobody asked him to do that, we all would have been fine with the No Mercy route being a one-off in Undertale.

I'm pretty sure that the creepypasta storyline is both:

A) A big part of why there's delays at all, in that all the different branching paths you can take build up the further you go (despite the game's insistence that your choices don't matter).

B) A necessary part of the grand finale that Toby's been working backwards from.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I question the wisdom in critiquing a storyline that hasn’t been paid off yet :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I question the wisdom in critiquing a storyline that hasn’t been paid off yet :v:

All I can say for now is that unless Chapter 3 pulls a hilarious "that never happened" on the Weird Route, Toby's insistence that the choices in Deltarune don't matter was proven a lie the second whoever it was discovered that you could murder Berdly.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

nine-gear crow posted:

All I can say for now is that unless Chapter 3 pulls a hilarious "that never happened" on the Weird Route, Toby's insistence that the choices in Deltarune don't matter was proven a lie the second whoever it was discovered that you could murder Berdly.

I mean, has Toby ever said that about the game as himself? Like, there's stuff in the game and stuff on the game page saying that, but it's always said in the context of the meta things it's doing. The narrator saying that your choices don't matter, and that being tacitly disproven in-game, just means that the narrator is a character and that that character is wrong.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Einander posted:

I mean, has Toby ever said that about the game as himself? Like, there's stuff in the game and stuff on the game page saying that, but it's always said in the context of the meta things it's doing. The narrator saying that your choices don't matter, and that being tacitly disproven in-game, just means that the narrator is a character and that that character is wrong.

there's this on the steam page

quote:

• And...
  • ... only 1 ending...?

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

nine-gear crow posted:

It was a lie in Chapter 1 where depending on how you resolved combat encounters you could either be chased out of the kingdom or offered a farewell.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It’s almost like it is intentional and will have a story payoff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Big assumption there that Berdley matters

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It seems like it basically takes like a year and a half to make each chapter (sorta). Chapter 1 took well more than that (it was 3 years between Undertale's release and its release) but also that project involved less people than Undertale itself did. Half of the 3 year gap between that and chapter 2 was spent shopping around for a new engine (and on the productive side of things, writing out the first draft of the entire rest of the game's script) with the 2020 status update confirming that chapter 2 didn't start proper development until April of that year. And while it was roughly 2 years between chapter 2's release and the newsletter that confirmed that Chapter 3 was now "content complete", the first year of that period was spent working on stuff from all of chapters 3-5 at once.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ravenson posted:

It was a lie in Chapter 1 where depending on how you resolved combat encounters you could either be chased out of the kingdom or offered a farewell.

Yeah but that's not the ending, the ending is in Kris' room that night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's also possible that things like the side b route won't be continuable in chapter 3. easy to draw up a conspiracy theory about this; the plan to release the chapters in a group up to 5 is because the bad route skips ahead to a "worst" ending, and not being able to continue because that part isn't available would be a pretty big hint

mind: this is baseless speculation

the creepypasta poo poo feels extremely on brand for toby; remember how (relatively) out of place the true lab feels relative to the rest of the game