Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Yeah, I did that a couple months ago.

It seemed to be the fact that I was using one of the bad 0905/0906 roms. As soon as I switched to the 0902 rom, it would boot fine. Happy day.

Fast forward to this morning when I decide to give 0909 a try. It doesn't boot, even after a complete wipe, so I restore my system backup of the 0902. Now that won't boot, either! AND when I do a complete wipe and load the 0902 rom, still no dice.

This phone is completely hosed in the head. I have no idea what it is doing.

Arg! I was able to get 0902 to boot once I formatted the internal storage (??). Everything went fine all day, until it reset while I was listening to music on the way home. Now it won't loving boot again, stuck at the Cyanogen mod guy, right before the circular boot animation begins.

This thing is fried, right? It was showing a wee bit of graphical corruption throughout the day, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Did CyanDelta stop working for anyone else? I haven't seen a new version for Maguro since the 6th.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Frozen-Solid posted:

Did CyanDelta stop working for anyone else? I haven't seen a new version for Maguro since the 6th.

Worked for me yesterday, but doesn't work right now. EDIT: Even their website seems to be down now.

Also, my Nexus 4 is 100% awake without any special wakelocks ... that's not normal is it?

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 10, 2013

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

The carrier lock shouldn't be affected by software so if it was locked to AT&T before it's locked to AT&T now. That having been said AT&T should be willing to unlock it for you although I don't know if you can do that while on CM.

I know at least in the case of the SII only the TouchWiz phone framework had the necessary pieces to perform the unlock. I used GalaxSim Unlock and it worked fine, but it may not work on the Note II because of the Qualcomm modem.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
This is my first venture into rooting. I have a Samsung Galaxy S that I want to work on. The OP seems full of information, but the links to the Galaxy S rooting program are dead. I've been looking through this forum specifically for the Galaxy S, but it seems to be full of everything I need after rooting. Is there still a one-touch solution I can use, or does rooting just go by another name nowadays?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I've rooted and then unlocked the bootloader on my RAZR MAXX HD and couldn't figure out if any decent AOSP/CM ROMs have ever come out for it? Does anyone here use one or can recommend one?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Milky_Sauce posted:

I've rooted and then unlocked the bootloader on my RAZR MAXX HD and couldn't figure out if any decent AOSP/CM ROMs have ever come out for it? Does anyone here use one or can recommend one?

I used CM and AOKP on my Razr Maxx, not sure if that's essentially the same phone as the HD though. I preferred AOKP until CM hit 4.3 nightlies then I ran with those until my phones untimely demise.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any reason for installing a custom ROM into an S4? I remember installing CM in my old phone but that was for getting 2.3.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

gmq posted:

Is there any reason for installing a custom ROM into an S4? I remember installing CM in my old phone but that was for getting 2.3.

To get 4.3 now, to get rid of TouchWiz, just because you like a feature CM has, etc.

I love AOSP but TouchWiz hasn't offended me enough to bother yet. You lose a few of the special features like eye detection and smart rotation as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've recently been having trouble with what seems to be bluetooth buffering. I have an EDUP BT receiver in my car, and a Belkin at home. I've noticed stuttering and small skips in audio in my car, maybe every 5-10 seconds. I tested the Belkin (don't use it much), and it also has the same problems, but much less pronounced. I have a Nexus 4 with a CM10.2 nightly from the 10th.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

hooah posted:

I've recently been having trouble with what seems to be bluetooth buffering. I have an EDUP BT receiver in my car, and a Belkin at home. I've noticed stuttering and small skips in audio in my car, maybe every 5-10 seconds. I tested the Belkin (don't use it much), and it also has the same problems, but much less pronounced. I have a Nexus 4 with a CM10.2 nightly from the 10th.

I've noticed Bluetooth audio stuttering with pretty much every version of CM 10+ I've tried on my GS3, but only when paired to my LG Tone headset (Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR). I also have a Plantronics headset (Bluetooth v3.0) that I use which doesn't have this problem.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I haven't had a problem with bluetooth audio until the 9/10 cm10.2 nightly. Now I'm only getting the left channel audio, though it works in phone calls.

I think they broke something again. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

I haven't had a problem with bluetooth audio until the 9/10 cm10.2 nightly. Now I'm only getting the left channel audio, though it works in phone calls.

I think they broke something again. :(
This is the only Bluetooth commit recently and it's having to do with A2DP so that's your cause.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LastInLine posted:

This is the only Bluetooth commit recently and it's having to do with A2DP so that's your cause.

At least it now connects to my cheap Chinese Bluetooth adapter again. However it stutters like poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GutBomb posted:

I believe that if you unlock your bootloader with revone it doesn't wipe. You can push revone to your phone with adb and run it from an adb shell and it has its own root exploit to run itself as root. One unlocked you can install cwm/twrp and root the traditional way.

Revone won't work if you have an hboot dated sometime in June or later. You can see your hot version by going into bootloader mode.

I'm in bootloader mode, and the date is June 7th, 2013.

I guess I'll have to wipe if I want to root. drat...

I have Helium, so it's not the hugest deal, I suppose.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 12, 2013

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Has anyone run into a failed backup restore from Google after flashing something? It usually downloads everything, but now google play Error 923'd everything and I had to manually reinstall all my apps.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Allaniis posted:

Has anyone run into a failed backup restore from Google after flashing something? It usually downloads everything, but now google play Error 923'd everything and I had to manually reinstall all my apps.
I saw this error when updating a couple of the pre-installed apps on a new N4, it seemed to be becuase it wanted to update Google Play Services and failed. It actually ended up putting me on the market page for Play Services which normally isn't a thing that you can get to.

A related question, is it normal for none of the pre-installed apps to link to Play on first boot? I had to go through and manually search for Maps, Gmail, G+, Keep, Earth, Calendar, Keyboard, etc. to get them to update, none of them showed as installed in Play.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I saw this error when updating a couple of the pre-installed apps on a new N4, it seemed to be becuase it wanted to update Google Play Services and failed. It actually ended up putting me on the market page for Play Services which normally isn't a thing that you can get to.

A related question, is it normal for none of the pre-installed apps to link to Play on first boot? I had to go through and manually search for Maps, Gmail, G+, Keep, Earth, Calendar, Keyboard, etc. to get them to update, none of them showed as installed in Play.
No that's not normal.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
I just installed a ROM with 4.3 on my Galaxy Nexus. I've heard something about this new version being able to... trim? Something related to Nexus 7 or 10 becoming laggy as time goes by.

Is there an app that does this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Saliciouscrumb posted:

I just installed a ROM with 4.3 on my Galaxy Nexus. I've heard something about this new version being able to... trim? Something related to Nexus 7 or 10 becoming laggy as time goes by.

Is there an app that does this?
If you wiped since you've installed 4.3 you shouldn't need it but run this once and you'll be set. You won't have to do it again as long as you don't 4.2 for any length of time after.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So what is it with TouchWiz? I installed a TW-based rom (MOAR) after running CM for a few weeks, since I finally picked up an MHL cable and wanted to use it. MOAR was laggy and unresponsive, taking on average about a quarter to half a second more time to respond than CM did; even locking the phone took a second longer. I brought my launcher back and set it up right so my homescreen looked right but it was just...I dunno.

I wish AOSP-based roms supported MHL on the S3...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I decided to go back to LightFlow after using the built-in notification controls in CM for a time. However, LF doesn't seem to be able to turn on my LED anymore (Nexus 4). Besides the main LED, it lists several others that have strange names (lm3530 control, spotlight control, etc.) that it says have been detected, but aren't natively supported (some of which caused the screen to turn back off almost immediately after I turned it on). When I use the all LEDs test in regular mode, nothing happens. In direct/compatibility mode, the LED turns on and does its thing, but it seems quite dim.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
How are the 10.2 nightlies on the Galaxy S3 (Sprint one specifically)? I'm considering trying it out as I had a Nexus S and a Galaxy Nexus before this, and I sorta miss stock Android. What sort of things will I miss from Touchwiz? Will I lose camera performance not using the Touchwiz camera app? Does battery life suffer greatly?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ninmeister posted:

How are the 10.2 nightlies on the Galaxy S3 (Sprint one specifically)? I'm considering trying it out as I had a Nexus S and a Galaxy Nexus before this, and I sorta miss stock Android. What sort of things will I miss from Touchwiz? Will I lose camera performance not using the Touchwiz camera app? Does battery life suffer greatly?
I ran 10.2 on my Sprint S3 for a few days but went back to 10.1 because I had an issue where apps weren't staying in memory after I hit about 24 hours of uptime. Beyond that, I didn't have any issues and if I had done a clean install instead of flashing over 10.1 I may not have had any issues at all. Battery life wasn't an issue either and I might go back to it again this weekend. I've heard people say the camera quality isn't as good on AOSP but I've never noticed it myself. The one feature I occasionally miss from Touchwiz is multi window but I didn't use it a whole lot anyway.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

datajosh posted:

I ran 10.2 on my Sprint S3 for a few days but went back to 10.1 because I had an issue where apps weren't staying in memory after I hit about 24 hours of uptime. Beyond that, I didn't have any issues and if I had done a clean install instead of flashing over 10.1 I may not have had any issues at all. Battery life wasn't an issue either and I might go back to it again this weekend. I've heard people say the camera quality isn't as good on AOSP but I've never noticed it myself. The one feature I occasionally miss from Touchwiz is multi window but I didn't use it a whole lot anyway.

I see. Did you have any trouble with 4G? (assuming you have it in your area).. They are finally deploying it where I am. I felt like my Galaxy Nexus had a lot of trouble staying on eHRPD and never seemed to see 4G when I had it on that.

Of course that could also be the fact it was a Galaxy Nexus.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ninmeister posted:

I see. Did you have any trouble with 4G? (assuming you have it in your area).. They are finally deploying it where I am. I felt like my Galaxy Nexus had a lot of trouble staying on eHRPD and never seemed to see 4G when I had it on that.

Of course that could also be the fact it was a Galaxy Nexus.
No, LTE works fine for me except when I'm at my office but that happens on TW too, Sprint's signal just can't seem to get through the building well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

datajosh posted:

I may give this a try, but I'm undecided. I'm just running rooted stock on my Sprint S3, but I've been having a really infuriating problem lately where data just dies, but the phone doesn't seem to be aware of it. The notification icons indicate I have data, but nothing will load. MMS messages hang. Data using apps don't work. Toggling airplane mode on and off doesn't fix it, but a reboot will clear it right up. I'm guessing it's a software issue, so trying a new ROM might help. I just really hate setting things up from scratch again...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

datajosh posted:

No, LTE works fine for me except when I'm at my office but that happens on TW too, Sprint's signal just can't seem to get through the building well.

Yeah the LTE frequency Sprint uses isn't so great indoors. Once the old iDEN network is shut down they'll be able to switch over to a better frequency band.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Anyone on HTC One and having random reboots on their ROMs? I've been having random reboots on CM10.2 nightlies. I tried switching back to Sense temporarily and I think it rebooted too, either that or it ran out of battery and it reboots when it does that?...

Anyways, this is super annoying. I was thinking it was my phone but I had AT&T replace it.

Anyways... anyone else having the same problem at all?

revolther
May 27, 2008
HTC devices are known for S-On and having to fastboot a kernel/boot.img corresponding to your ROM. Sense and CM10.2 kernels are most likely incompatible.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

revolther posted:

HTC devices are known for S-On and having to fastboot a kernel/boot.img corresponding to your ROM. Sense and CM10.2 kernels are most likely incompatible.

I had always been under the impression that Cyanogenmod ROM's were BYOB with their kernels. Do custom recoveries still have issues with alternate kernel handling while still S-ON? I know TWRP had a SmartFlash feature that let you still use custom kernels while S-ON.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

revolther posted:

I'm S-Off on both devices. Do I have to provide a boot.img somehow? I've never read that I needed to so I haven't unless the ROM does it automatically.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

I'm S-Off on both devices. Do I have to provide a boot.img somehow? I've never read that I needed to so I haven't unless the ROM does it automatically.

There is a boot.img included with the nightlies that gets installed:

package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p33");

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
With older HTC phones you needed to flash boot.img yourself but on the One cwm/twrp are able to do that directly from the zip during rom installation.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I Just got my hands on a HTC One and while I love the hardware, Im not a fan of Sense UI. I was thinking about rooting it and throwing CM on it or even just stock Android but how will that effect the capacitive buttons? The HTC One only has the home and back buttons which is kind of killing it for me. Theres no menu button or app manager button which is bad enough but will putting stock android prevent me from like, double tapping the home button to bring up the app manager?

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

rugbert posted:

I Just got my hands on a HTC One and while I love the hardware, Im not a fan of Sense UI. I was thinking about rooting it and throwing CM on it or even just stock Android but how will that effect the capacitive buttons? The HTC One only has the home and back buttons which is kind of killing it for me. Theres no menu button or app manager button which is bad enough but will putting stock android prevent me from like, double tapping the home button to bring up the app manager?

The newest 10.2 nightlies allow double tapping home for the task switcher, and the old 10.1 rc's allowed the tiny area above the HTC logo to function as task switcher or menu or somesuch.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

ArgaWarga posted:

The newest 10.2 nightlies allow double tapping home for the task switcher, and the old 10.1 rc's allowed the tiny area above the HTC logo to function as task switcher or menu or somesuch.

Double tapping home bring up the task switcher in 4.2.2 already (verizon one, stock rom). I use swipe home button to swipe the htc logo to bring up home and only use double tap home for app switcher, I never hit the home button once. The RIGHT side should be for task manager only goddamnit, I came from a N4. You can do this poo poo in stock, no root/rom needed.

edit: and if you hate sense that much, just use a different launcher.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 17, 2013

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Alright, so I just tried out CM10.2 nightlies on my Sprint GS3. Is there any good reason why it seems to want to drop my data connection alot in it? I'm at work, which really doesn't have the best signal to begin with, but in stock TW it works fine. On CM I watched data drop out left and right.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any reason to update your recovery if nothing's broken? I decided to check out the TWRP page, and I see there are 3 new versions since the one on my Nexus 4 (2.5.0.0). If I do update it, do I need to wipe anything/will it automatically wipe anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Recovery updates are generally pretty safe on most devices. I would imagine this would be the case for a Nexus. It won't wipe anything once you're already rooted.