Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So, the wife and I are going to the delivery room rather soon. Does anyone have any experience giving birth under this Covid nightmare?

Edit: Not today soon, but in the next month. I want to be clear.

To follow-up with this, I'm currently in the hospital with the wife. She had a full covid test yesterday, and we were both temperature checked twice before going in the room. She's gotten her temperature taken more than that too.

We just have to wear our masks while someone is in the room. We're going to sleep now, and they told her to not worry about trying to put a mask on during sleep. I have to mask up during delivery, she has been basically told that if she can't wear hers during delivery that no one would really care and they understand.

Other than that, no visitors, and I can leave the hospital if I need to. Which I will later as I'm going to have to dig our driveway out of about a foot of snow before the three of us get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Awesome new pregnancy symptom: Waking up at 6am with my nose bleeding back down my throat. Three days in a row now, the humidifier doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Also made the mistake of getting mint scented hand soap. Kitchen smells were making me nauseous, and peppermint works like a charm for my nausea, so I thought mint soap would be a great idea. Nope, it’s just kitchen smells plus mint, which makes the nausea even worse.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Awesome new pregnancy symptom: Waking up at 6am with my nose bleeding back down my throat. Three days in a row now, the humidifier doesn’t seem to make a difference.

You have so much extra blood, some of it needed to escape!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My new thing this week is superhuman smell powers apparently. If my husband opens a bag of chips or a beer downstairs I can smell it upstairs. He put coffee grounds into the french press earlier but didn't make the coffee, but when he came upstairs I could smell coffee on him. It's tripping me out.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Turns out I am kicking off third trimester v2.0 by having Shingles. Cool and fun!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Do you think there was ever a time that a pregnant lady had to fart really really bad and then she did and she fartted so hard that the baby popped out?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
The urge to push feels like you gotta take a poo poo, so yes.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Im the hospital with my wife whose about 8 hours into labor. I don’t know how anyone deals with the stress of this. All the docs said things are perfect, but now there are decels and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wanna puke.

Edit: baby and mom are fine. Christ.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2020

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

1up posted:

The urge to push feels like you gotta take a poo poo, so yes.

I am a former maternity nurse and even though I KNOW that feeling like you need to take a poo poo is the classic sign of needing to push, my labor went so fast I was 100% sure that I did, in fact, have to take a gigantic poo poo and I refused to believe it was already time to push. I went a little out of my mind demanding my husband bring me the bedpan because otherwise I promised him I would poo poo all over the bed. Before the midwife came back in and checked me I did some massive bearing down over a bedpan. By the time I was OFFICIALLY pushing it only took two pushes, but I feel like there needs to be an asterisk on that because of all the pushing I did thinking I really did just have to take a massive poo poo.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My second one I was 100% certain I just poo poo myself. Nope. It was a head starting to come out.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
To be fair, you probably poo poo yourself too :j:

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Hah, I definitely asked at several points “did I just poop? That felt like poop.” But my husband swears he never saw any.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I didn’t poop with number one and the only reason I know I did with the second was my midwife said ‘I’m just wiping your bottom’ after a particularly hectic push.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My due date is in one week and I’m having so much trouble concentrating on work or thinking about anything else! I’m so ready!

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011
Hi fellow goons, my wife & I are expecting our first. She was recently recommended a clip-on breathing monitor (something like this) to prevent SIDS by a friend, and has been researching these gadgets since.

I obviously would do anything to make sure our newborn is safe & healthy, but I'm a bit on the fence about this. Our local guidances (Western EU) do not recommend or even gently discourage such monitors, unless there's suspected elevated risk in which case professional medical follow-up is advised - this does not apply to us.

It doesn't help that these things are quite expensive here in Europe (easily 2x the price compared to US), and pretty much all reviews, good or bad, seem to mention a lot of false alarms or even people just turning off/throwing out the thing. Are we stressing too much about this?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
We had the owlet for our daughter. We recently stopped using it at 11 months old. There were a lot of false alarms in terms of the placement of the sock, which could be quite annoying.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Sinecure posted:

Hi fellow goons, my wife & I are expecting our first. She was recently recommended a clip-on breathing monitor (something like this) to prevent SIDS by a friend, and has been researching these gadgets since.

I obviously would do anything to make sure our newborn is safe & healthy, but I'm a bit on the fence about this. Our local guidances (Western EU) do not recommend or even gently discourage such monitors, unless there's suspected elevated risk in which case professional medical follow-up is advised - this does not apply to us.

It doesn't help that these things are quite expensive here in Europe (easily 2x the price compared to US), and pretty much all reviews, good or bad, seem to mention a lot of false alarms or even people just turning off/throwing out the thing. Are we stressing too much about this?

When I was pregnant, I was convinced I was going to want all kinds of devices so that I had ALL THE DATA.

Once the baby was here that basically flew out the window - I didn’t need it, kid didn’t need it, and it was one more thing to stress over. If you have a high risk kiddo or a doctor recommends it, sure. Otherwise they will probably just end up adding a lot of stress to an already stressful time.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

As a parent, I’m cringing hard at a false alarm mode that might wake a baby up when they’re sleeping peacefully otherwise

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
In my opinion they are way overpriced and I plan to keep the baby in a bassinet next to me anyway, so I would pass.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
If you practice safe sleep with your baby (flat on back, no pillows or blankets, etc), it’s not worth the expense, or the moments of panic when a false alarm goes off. You and baby are going to need as much sleep as you can possibly get, and like someone else said, being woken up by a false alarm would be the worst thing ever.

I am someone who has alarm anxiety, too, like if I have to set an alarm to wake up, I’m tossing and turning all night worried that I’m going to miss the alarm. I can’t even imagine how little sleep I would get knowing there’s an alarm that could go off at any time, and since it will likely be fake, I’d have to spring out of bed immediately to silence it, hoping the kids won’t wake up...

Save yourself money and sleep and stick to safe sleeping guidelines. Companies can make a lot of money by playing into parents’ fears.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Plus, if your baby's like mine, they'll be snoring and snuffling half the night anyway.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Koivunen posted:

Save yourself money and sleep and stick to safe sleeping guidelines. Companies can make a lot of money by playing into parents’ fears.

And really, false alarms aside, this is mostly where I come down on these devices without some special medical indication. There are a lot of things you’ll worry about as a parent, and these devices can prey on that and feed into it during a time where you can start to develop caretaking habits and hopefully some amount of confidence in what you are doing. If you find that you want one after having the baby home for a couple weeks, they will still be available to buy.

(Btw, I found my sleep to be very light and keyed into baby’s breathing when the bassinet was next to our bed- parent sleep (or at least mom sleep?) changes dramatically around a newborn and I wish there were some studies around it because it was pretty bonkers)

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

cailleask posted:

When I was pregnant, I was convinced I was going to want all kinds of devices so that I had ALL THE DATA.

Once the baby was here that basically flew out the window - I didn’t need it, kid didn’t need it, and it was one more thing to stress over. If you have a high risk kiddo or a doctor recommends it, sure. Otherwise they will probably just end up adding a lot of stress to an already stressful time.

This was exactly my experience too. I wouldn't go for the monitor unless your child is high-risk. I considered a monitor too but ultimately determined it would just stress me out more if I had one. Kids are usually relatively noisey when they sleep, and when my baby's being especially quiet I'll watch her chest to see if it's rising or put my hand near her nose to feel for her breath. Otherwise she does a good job of snuffling or rustling around just as I'm wondering whether or not she might be dead.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Personally, I had a bit of PTSD from a miscarriage so I was terrified about SIDS. Did the owlet help ease my mind? Yes. Did it really do anything? No. If it makes someone feel better, there’s no harm as long as they’re ok with the price.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, so what about having a monitor and like using it for fun? Like I'm gonna spook my dog so much with this registry item you have no idea the hijinx I got planned.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Oh god I got a hemorrhoid :rip:

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks for all the very informative replies! I had a chat with my wife & she seems pretty much settled on getting something, probably one of those pressure-sensing mats so that it will at least not bother the baby. I'll make sure to keep the receipt ;)

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We had the owlet for our daughter. We recently stopped using it at 11 months old. There were a lot of false alarms in terms of the placement of the sock, which could be quite annoying.

We had one of these as well. Our source of false alarms was mainly it going out of range from the base. For something that is optional to buy, the few times we forgot to put it on made it hard to sleep due to paranoid thoughts of "what if something happens and we will not know?". We did not even use it for our second kid.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 10, 2021

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We have an Owlet sock that I've used exactly one time. I might pick it back up when the baby is no longer sleeping next to us in a bassinet.

There's already so many things to do that adding one more step to the "getting an infant to sleep workflow" with the little sock thing seemed overwhelming. Other posters have already talked about how sleep deprived you are and how often the baby will wake you up at night even without an alarm. I know it was just a question of practice, but putting the sock on the baby and waking it up with your fumbling/tightening it too much was a terrible feeling. Then you have to soothe the baby back to sleep and then it probably pees while you're doing that and needs to be changed and then the smart sock gets pee on it and you have to take it off and clean it and then the baby falls asleep and then you put the sock on it and the baby wakes up and now it's been an hour of loving with the smart sock and the baby is hungry again so you have to do that and then the baby pees again.

That's a pretty extreme example and like I said, maybe at the 3 month I will reconsider using it again when the pee/sleep cycle gets longer.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah we used it when the baby was in her own room. She was able to sleep through the night at that point.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I lost the mucus plug! Things are happening :derp: I’m scheduled to be induced on Friday, but I’m hoping he emerges on his own before then!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I just hit 21 weeks and all is mostly good except my sciatica is acting up really badly. Does anyone have any recommendations for pregnancy pillows? My sister thinks it might help.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

I just hit 21 weeks and all is mostly good except my sciatica is acting up really badly. Does anyone have any recommendations for pregnancy pillows? My sister thinks it might help.

I really like the Queen Rose brand U-shaped one that I got off Amazon. I used a less massive one with my first pregnancy, but it wasn’t cutting it this time around for my hip pain- the U shape is really adjustable, support-wise, and I can roll over much more easily than my previous c-shaped one. Currently 30 weeks and it’s been a huge improvement.

I do feel kind of bad about the bed real estate that it takes up, since it’s exactly half the width of our queen sized bed, but my husband has said it’s better that I can sleep ok and I’m not going to look that gift horse in the mouth.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello thread, wife is now 6 weeks away. Mother in law is inboung in 2 week to enjoy a 2 week quarentine and isolation at our buddy's pool house. Then I enter that vague zone that is 2 weeks pre natal and that first post natal week. Today, my buddy with the pool house opened up and described that wild month of birth. I am prepared to support for post partum, I have attuned to when something is a hormone thing that will be identified by her as a hormone thing after the fact. I also know that the worst thing to do mid hormone swing is to call it a hormone swing. Furniture is built. Baby nursery painted and stickered. Now I'm just waiting.

Wait no I'm not, my loving birth center played Medi-Care gently caress gently caress games because apparently human dollars from my wallet are worth so much more than the dollars that come from *bleh* poor people state insurance. Jokes on them, I am a human being made out of backup plans and we are onboarding to the one doc in the area that could have had this timeslot fillable in the last minute. The hosed up thing was, if this was job having times I would have just taken it on the chin and paid them. In our quest to get a Medi-Cal Referral (care... state insurance thing) for our birthing center we met some Doctors that will take our birth and state insurance.

The last red flag I could withstand was that I asked them for doctors who knew them. The first time they were oddly unprepared. The next time they gave us the name of a couple OBGYNs. We visited more than one... and one of them never heard of our birthing center and wondered why they would just toss out their name. gently caress that, I'm out.

Here's my video, that up above is my tldr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPradxttCg

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BadSamaritan posted:

I really like the Queen Rose brand U-shaped one that I got off Amazon. I used a less massive one with my first pregnancy, but it wasn’t cutting it this time around for my hip pain- the U shape is really adjustable, support-wise, and I can roll over much more easily than my previous c-shaped one. Currently 30 weeks and it’s been a huge improvement.

I do feel kind of bad about the bed real estate that it takes up, since it’s exactly half the width of our queen sized bed, but my husband has said it’s better that I can sleep ok and I’m not going to look that gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks, I'll check this one out!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

I am prepared to support for post partum, I have attuned to when something is a hormone thing that will be identified by her as a hormone thing after the fact. I also know that the worst thing to do mid hormone swing is to call it a hormone swing. Furniture is built. Baby nursery painted and stickered. Now I'm just waiting.

Good luck

Getting the furniture built and having all that poo poo sorted and knowing you just have to wait now, as maddening as it is, is a blessing

Re: hormonal swings: we only had two noteworthy ones, one before, which I was trying to be cool, but somehow being cool meant that I was running a deep state conspiracy theory about the baby with both her family and mine, or something (it's all a blur now). I got her fed and put her to bed and it's never come up since. That was at about 39.5 weeks and days before the election and Trump had just barely beaten covid etc

The other one, less in line with modern politics, I accidentally ordered the non slow flow nipples for the bottles (they look exactly the same) and the baby spat up (the horror) and she's like, Hadlock, this is our child! Verbatim. The horror. I just let the hormones wash over her and ten minutes later we were watching the daily show or whatever

That sucks that the birthing center tried to gently caress you guys last minute

Oh that reminds me, our kid was born during the normal insurance enrollment period, and you don't get it SSN for a couple of weeks, which is right after enrollment ends, plus it's end of year, I think we're still getting our baby's insurance stuff fully sorted, yay

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I had my baby yesterday! I thought I’d come back and share my experience. It was awful from start to finish. I went in to the hospital at 8 pm Friday night with pretty frequent contractions. Over the next few hours I dilated a few cm more, but stalled out around 3am so they put me on pitocin. The contractions were already pretty bad, but became intolerable on pitocin, so I requested an epidural. Over an hour later the anesthesiologist came by for that, and I was already suffering from debilitating contractions as he was trying to put that in. It hurt like a bitch getting the epidural, he had put it in a vein. So I had to sit through him rooting around my spinal column again.

Then, for some reason, he left the room without turning the medication on. He came back an hour later and finally turned it on, and I felt nothing. At this point all I could do was cling to the bed pathetically whimpering in pain. Eventually a different anesthesiologist came in and said that the other guy didn’t put it in the right spot, so I had to get an epidural for the third freaking time.

In the meantime, my baby’s heart rate was dropping because of the pitocin. They backed off on that to wait and see how my labor and baby would fare without it. I had to get two internal fetal monitors put in, which was excruciating on top of my contractions. Then the epidural finally kicked in and that part was amazing.

Baby continued to not do well and was eventually declared to be “labor intolerant.” It was presented to me that I would have to get a c section, which was my biggest fear :( I was so terrified I was shaking the entire time. The procedure itself went painlessly, although I lost a lot of blood.

Now baby is here and is a huge chonker. I’m so glad that whole process is over with and baby came out healthy and perfect :)

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

remigious posted:

I had my baby yesterday! I thought I’d come back and share my experience. It was awful from start to finish. I went in to the hospital at 8 pm Friday night with pretty frequent contractions. Over the next few hours I dilated a few cm more, but stalled out around 3am so they put me on pitocin. The contractions were already pretty bad, but became intolerable on pitocin, so I requested an epidural. Over an hour later the anesthesiologist came by for that, and I was already suffering from debilitating contractions as he was trying to put that in. It hurt like a bitch getting the epidural, he had put it in a vein. So I had to sit through him rooting around my spinal column again.

Then, for some reason, he left the room without turning the medication on. He came back an hour later and finally turned it on, and I felt nothing. At this point all I could do was cling to the bed pathetically whimpering in pain. Eventually a different anesthesiologist came in and said that the other guy didn’t put it in the right spot, so I had to get an epidural for the third freaking time.

In the meantime, my baby’s heart rate was dropping because of the pitocin. They backed off on that to wait and see how my labor and baby would fare without it. I had to get two internal fetal monitors put in, which was excruciating on top of my contractions. Then the epidural finally kicked in and that part was amazing.

Baby continued to not do well and was eventually declared to be “labor intolerant.” It was presented to me that I would have to get a c section, which was my biggest fear :( I was so terrified I was shaking the entire time. The procedure itself went painlessly, although I lost a lot of blood.

Now baby is here and is a huge chonker. I’m so glad that whole process is over with and baby came out healthy and perfect :)

So sorry that your labour was traumatic. Allow yourself to grieve that, it’s okay. Congratulations on your new beautiful baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

femcastra posted:

So sorry that your labour was traumatic. Allow yourself to grieve that, it’s okay. Congratulations on your new beautiful baby!
Thank you! I tried to be as prepared as possible, but anything can happen!