Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt FOX, Breitbart or any Right Wing radio people will complain about it but,Ben Carson has decided to not give up any of the paid speaking gigs he has booked all the way into next Fall.

quote:

Typically, presidential hopefuls clear their speaking schedules and eliminate lucrative contracts to avoid any appearance of conflicts of interest. But not Carson. In January, as Carson was preparing to run for president, Armstrong Williams told National Review that WSB had booked hundreds of gigs for Carson in the upcoming months. He announced his bid for president in May.

Pocketing large speaking fees from all sorts of groups and interests—and the potential conflicts of interest this can create—is not the only potential problem for Carson. Candidates who give paid speeches risk violating campaign finance laws, says Larry Noble, senior counsel at the Campaign Legal Center, a campaign finance legal advocacy group. When Carson now gives a paid speech, he cannot mention his candidacy or refer to his presidential campaign, because if he does so that would make the event a campaign speech from a legal perspective. And if he's getting paid to give a campaign speech, Noble says, the speaking fee would be considered a campaign contribution and be subject to the contribution limits of $2,700—which is much lower than his usual speaking fee. Beyond that, if Carson delivers a campaign speech that is paid for by trade group, corporation, or nonprofit, it would be against campaign finance law, no matter the amount.

I expect all of the above to happen and nobody to ever complain about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 16, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yup, this campaign ad violates Senate rules, as do his gifs of Graham rolling his eyes at Rand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=verzCNPkRQY

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, so document any sort of reprimands you get for discussing it and if/when they fire you for it using some kind of bullshit excuse grab a lawyer and go after them if you have worthwhile documentation that could even maybe get the court to side with you.

Don't be silly, you were fired for unspecified performance issues.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

The first is Bob Graham, who had no chance of winning the nomination but was in every way a more viable candidate than any of the current Republican crop.

I don't know who the second guy is, but I don't think he was a candidate.

I really don't think he was though, man.. You must be a bit delusional

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Yup, this campaign ad violates Senate rules, as do his gifs of Graham rolling his eyes at Rand.

I've been wondering this for a while, but what the hell is with Rand Paul's facial tan lines? Is he a steampunk enthusiast who always wears darkened goggles instead of sunglasses or something?

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

I've been wondering this for a while, but what the hell is with Rand Paul's facial tan lines? Is he a steampunk enthusiast who always wears darkened goggles instead of sunglasses or something?

He probably took a note from Papa Boner and spray-tans.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Gyges posted:

Sign of tanning bed usage, most folks use black-out goggles.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the presidency is not a crown to be passed back-and-forth between families

*has no idea how a royal dynasty works*

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wow I think Stockman is the only one that beats this for saddest campaign HQ.

It has two bathrooms. I'd say it's above average for a campaign office.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Joementum posted:

How does it violate the rules?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ramadu posted:

How does it violate the rules?

I believe you can't use video of yourself on the senate floor, but I might be wrong.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

A3th3r posted:

I really don't think he was though, man.. You must be a bit delusional

Probably. I don't care and it doesn't matter anyway.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 1, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

He's Steve McQueen, in his spare time he rides dirt bikes in the desert wearing Ray-Bans.

e: I wonder if he wears some sort of super goggles in the tanning bed because he is an ophthalmologist and knows what that poo poo does to your eyes.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Joementum posted:

I'll update it later maybe, but really who the gently caress cares what Pataki, Gilmore, and Ehrlich are doing?

As a Virginian, I have a vested interest in seeing Gilmore get the piss beaten out of him.

NO CAR TAX

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 1, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joementum posted:

O'Malley campaign HQ features gender-neutral restrooms.

I think it's charming that O'Malley let a sixth-grade civics class build his campaign headquarters.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Caros posted:

I believe you can't use video of yourself on the senate floor, but I might be wrong.

You can't use senate audio or video for a campaign purpose. Rand skirted the rules once before when he showed footage of an FNC broadcast of his filibuster. Since it was FNC re-broadcasting, and not the direct feed, he was in kind of a grey area. This time he's just thrown both middle fingers at the rules and pulled the direct feed.

I bet he'll just quietly take down the video after someone from the Senate reminds him of the rules. If we ever see a similar ad he'll have to do a re-enactment which will most likely be hilarious like it was for Mary Landrieu.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/landrieu-camp-ad-reenactment-done-comply-senate-rules-n81046

It might sound like a weird rule, but the idea was to preserve the sanctity of the senate as a place for discussion. It doesn't make a lot of sense now because of Citizens United, but the fear was that there would be a chilling effect on discussion since you'd start to have ads comprised of sound bites from the floor taken forcefully out of context.

When political campaigns were making most of the ads directly it was an effective rule. It's kind of useless now because a Super PAC can make the ad, and then the candidate can say, "well I'm barred from coordinating, and the people in my Super PAC aren't senators..." Then the Super PAC itself, if dinged by the FEC over it(unlikely), would probably be able to take it all the way to SCOTUS and win on free speech and transparency grounds.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 1, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SedanChair posted:

He's Steve McQueen, in his spare time he rides dirt bikes in the desert wearing Ray-Bans.

e: I wonder if he wears some sort of super goggles in the tanning bed because he is an ophthalmologist and knows what that poo poo does to your eyes.

I don't know how much more super than blackout goggles you can get, but you did raise the interesting point of a medical doctor using a tanning bed, or at least remind us of that.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ErIog posted:

I bet he'll just quietly take down the video after someone from the Senate reminds him of the rules.

Great transition:

Politico posted:

Senators flash anger at Paul — and vice versa

He “needs to learn the rules of the Senate,” McCain snipes.

By ALEX BYERS 5/31/15 6:13 PM EDT Updated 5/31/15 6:45 PM EDT

Tempers are flaring in the Senate.

With lawmakers slated to take procedural votes later this evening on a bill to reform the PATRIOT Act, Sens. Dan Coats (R-Ind.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) refused to yield the floor to fellow Republican Sen. Rand Paul, who has promised to force a sunset of key parts national security law. The spat prompted a terse back-and-forth during a rare Sunday session prompted by Paul’s refusal earlier this month to allow votes on the issue.
Story Continued Below

With dozens of Senate onlookers donning “Stand with Rand” T-Shirts, Paul tried to interject as Coats and McCain were speaking in defense of of the National Security Agency. But McCain and Coats wouldn’t yield the floor.

Paul “needs to learn the rules of the Senate,” McCain sniped at the Kentucky Republican.

When Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who was presiding over the chamber, said later that time for debate had expired, Paul was incensed. He said he had not gotten to speak and argued the time had been miscounted, even calling for a roll call vote to challenge Grassley’s rulings. Paul ultimately was allowed to speak for a few minutes, but not before McCain objected again to Paul speaking, and the typically tranquil Grassley raised his voice.

After the spat, Coats — who was previously lamenting lies told about the NSA by unnamed members of the Senate — walked over to talk to the visibly agitated Paul and said he wasn’t trying to silence the Kentucky senator. But Paul appeared uninterested in Coats’ explanation, and the conversation — audible in the Senate balcony reserved for reporters — ended with a wave of the hand and “whatever” from Paul.

McCain, standing a handful of desks away, looked on chuckling.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/senators-flash-anger-at-paul-and-vice-versa-118467.html#ixzz3bnZxIAxv

Sigh, I love it when they fight.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Man, did Paul bother to learn any of the rules of the Senate once he got there? It sounds like he's doing a better job of pissing everyone off than Cruz. Everything is a photo-op with him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So are we going to have drones following around candidates in four years when they fire all the reporters?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sir Tonk posted:

So are we going to have drones following around candidates in four years when they fire all the reporters?

By 2024 the leading candidates from each party will be Aasimo-style robots controlled by a Twitch channel.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

By 2024 the leading candidates from each party will be Aasimo-style robots controlled by a Twitch channel.
still better than rand paul

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
She's catchin' on, I'm telling you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOf4BNW62I

Also, good tactic for increasing a candidate's name recognition: an ad where their name is mentioned about a billion times.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Don't be tacky, vote for Patacki!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

Man, did Paul bother to learn any of the rules of the Senate once he got there? It sounds like he's doing a better job of pissing everyone off than Cruz. Everything is a photo-op with him.

He learned the rules AS THE FOUNDERS INTENDED, sir!

Which is to say he watched that Adams show HBO did and decided gently caress it

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Its like she's been practicing that creepy smile.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

"Surrender your pastry delights to my hunger, shopkeep"

"So...you want the cookies then?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

I mean it would be weird if she was making that face at a kid but it looks like she's making it at pastries and I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of all people leered at tasty food like that, at least momentarily. She's probably saying something like "oh they all look so gooood I can't choooose" there.

It's still a creepy smile, but it's got a better context than most.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Zelder posted:

Don't be tacky, vote for Patacki!

I cannot fathom how much attention his announcement garnered in the news. Like, what the gently caress.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Ted would have accidentally gotten the bill passed without a hitch

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PupsOfWar posted:

Ted would have accidentally gotten the bill passed without a hitch

He got quite a few nominations passed last time.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
If anyone cares, live feed of a Lindsay Graham rally where he's expected to announce officially.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2553565088001/lindsey-graham-expected-to-announce-presidential-campaign/#sp=watch-live

EDIT: Lindsay Graham's sister Darlene speaking. I guess she would be First Lady?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 1, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

She's catchin' on, I'm telling you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOf4BNW62I

Also, good tactic for increasing a candidate's name recognition: an ad where their name is mentioned about a billion times.

No demon sheep 0/10

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Apparently Lindsay Graham legally adopted his sister after their parents died? Didn't know you could do that.

LINDSAY IS HERE!

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

William Bear posted:

If anyone cares, live feed of a Lindsay Graham rally where he's expected to announce officially.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2553565088001/lindsey-graham-expected-to-announce-presidential-campaign/#sp=watch-live

EDIT: Lindsay Graham's sister Darlene speaking. I guess she would be First Lady?

You can also watch here. Graham is speaking now. I didn't know he legally adopted his little sister.
http://news.yahoo.com/video/abc-news-plus-special-report-220000361.html

LOL Reagan already mentioned.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

William Bear posted:

Apparently Lindsay Graham legally adopted his sister after their parents died? Didn't know you could do that.

LINDSAY IS HERE!

So his sister is his daughter? Who's his grandpa?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"I want to be president to defeat the enemies who want to kill us. Not penalize them, not criticize them, defeat them!"

Man, Graham is really laying on the fascist rhetoric. Peace through strength.

EDIT: Just said words to the effect of "fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here." Really getting Bush nostalgia now.

EDIT 2: Just implicitly referenced Malala.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

William Bear posted:

"I want to be president to defeat the enemies who want to kill us. Not penalize them, not criticize them, defeat them!"

Man, Graham is really laying on the fascist rhetoric. Peace through strength.

Security through strength.

Oh, nice little dig at the Clinton name.

This guy has no charisma. None.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 1, 2015

• Locked thread