Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hachi Machi!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there sexy Montgomery?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Well, my local didn't have a copy of Terra Mystica in stock, but the friendly clerk directed me towards this really fun looking game called Talisman instead. He said it was really popular, so hopefully it's just as good?

....just kidding thread, I actually picked up Kemet instead.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

quote:

A sequel to Arclight's deckbuilding game Barba*Rossa (ばるば★ろっさ), it depicts the first battle of El Alamein during WWII, as the Axis powers thrust through Africa to conquer Alexandria. Like its predecessor, the artwork in El*Alamein consists of scantily clad anime girls.

Barba*Rossa was the anime nazi game fyi.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

:laffo:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/752783/historical-revisionism

Hey is this game about sexy nazis revisionist?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

you know if I was going to make a game set in WW2 North Africa with the intent of whitewashing the war/glorifying Germany I would probably make it about Rommel's blitz through Libya and capture of Tobruk instead of the point where it ran out of steam

I guess that's one of the thing that separates me from anime ww2 game designers

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

bowmore posted:

Is Terra Mystica better than Archipelago?

man i wish i could try both

They're almost polar opposites. If you like heavy player interaction, negotiation, and uncertain victory conditions in your Euros go for Archipelago. If you want to know how the entire game will play out from the start as you build things next to each other, go for Terra Mystica.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

They're almost polar opposites. If you like heavy player interaction, negotiation, and uncertain victory conditions in your Euros go for Archipelago. If you want to know how the entire game will play out from the start as you build things next to each other, go for Terra Mystica.

Didn't you say you've only played it 3p so far? At higher player counts there is more contention for the network bonus, cult tracks, sexy bonus tile + round bonus combos, magic actions, etc. Plus you can get stuffed pretty bad if someone boxes you in (which is actually not a big positive for me, but isn't super deterministic either)

At lower player counts it can be sort of clear who is getting the network bonus and who will do the best on the cults but when things get crowded it's pretty shifty imo

E: not disagreeing to the claim that relative to archipelago, it's much more predetermined, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's completely predictable.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 13, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Didn't you say you've only played it 3p so far? At higher player counts there is more contention for the network bonus, cult tracks, sexy bonus tile + round bonus combos, magic actions, etc. Plus you can get stuffed pretty bad if someone boxes you in (which is actually not a big positive for me, but isn't super deterministic either)

At lower player counts it can be sort of clear who is getting the network bonus and who will do the best on the cults but when things get crowded it's pretty shifty imo

I've played some 4p now IRL and a little bit of 5p online. It does benefit from being tighter but doesn't fundamentally the change how the game plays out as far as I can tell. My comment about knowing how the whole thing will play out is sort of a dig at the game but I also think that's true, it's a game for people who actually want that sort of long term zero-randomness look ahead style.

The biggest problem I have with it really is it seems to be more of a lifestyle game than a lot of modern board games. My group has one guy who owns it and when we get together everyone pretty much just picks whatever race and flails around and then whoever got a good race/start for the scoring and bonus tiles probably wins (e.g. our last game I got halflings with 4th round digging points and some other favourable stuff, and even though I let my sanctuary get totally cut off I just rolled over everyone else with a big round of digging). Usually one guy totally misjudges what their race is supposed to do and spends two hours being obviously and irreparably behind. The designers did a good job making it look accessible and the core mechanics are actually pretty easy to teach but you can't really start playing until you know enough about all the races and what they want to properly draft at the beginning of the game. I don't really care to put that much effort in, and even if I did I'd have nobody to play with unless 4 other people I know all somehow liked the game enough to do the same. Bringing a newbie in to it seems like an exercise in sadism.

It's one of the issues I had when I played MtG and one of the things that keeps me from learning Go, at some point with those games you basically have to seek out other people on your level just to play the game and while I do like mastering games I primarily play board games so I can have a good time with my friends. So far Terra Mystica has utterly failed at that goal in a way that any number of other heavy euros haven't. I can see why people would get heavy in to Terra Mystica but it's really not for me (and if I wanted something like that I probably would just find a Go club).

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 13, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

StashAugustine posted:

:psyduck:

I don't mean to open the "is archipelago racist" can of worms but how is Terra Mystica racist outside of having slightly sterotypical art for Fakirs and Nomads

that was pretty much it, and yes it was as stupid as it sounds

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why can't we have sexy anime versions of Agricola and Puerto Rico

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Why can't we have sexy anime versions of Agricola and Puerto Rico

:heysexy:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

"Hey sexy guy, impregnate my wife and I'll give you food."

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Texmo posted:

So I'm thinking of picking up a copy of Terra Mystica, and noticed that the wikipedia page says that:

-A second edition in German was published in 2013
-It's published by ZMan, who supposedly don't do good quality prints.

Is there anything I should look out for? Would it be worth waiting for a second edition to appear in english (if it hasn't already) before buying?

My player boards had some deep gouges and scratches. I contacted Z-man and they sent me a whole new set, which also had quite a few scratches. Got them to send me a third set, and managed to put together a serviceable set between everything.

I guess the moral of the story is that qc seems questionable, but support is responsive and don't feel bad about bugging them until you get good components!

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Yes, Terra Mystica is a game where at the beginning of the game you make a schedule for your strategy. You decide you will build the stronghold in round 2, make a town in 4, so to do that you need to build the sanctuary in 3, etc. The real meat of the game is not this planning, although it is important, and necessary to win. Instead, it's figuring how you get from bullet point to bullet point on your schedule while picking up points along the way, and not stumbling or running out of gas. Can you manage to snag certain bonus tiles? Will a favor give you the resources or tricks you need to do everything you want? Can you forego points in order to get first player (and a power action) next round? It's these questions and decisions which you can't foresee or answer at the beginning of the game, and navigating them while sticking to your schedule can be a rewarding and perplexing puzzle.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

That describes just about every resource optimisation Euro. The hook of TM is the asymmetric factions and abstract mechanics which combine to require a large amount of metagame knowledge to enjoy it, I'm sure that is a lot of people's bag but it's not mine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Playing with the expansion race auction actually fixes a lot of issues with th race draft in my opinion. In the expansion (although honestly you can do this even without having the expansion stuff) you draw the races out of a bag and you bid points to be able to pick races.

Also, the game is hardly predetermined. I have a friend that boasted that he cold win with every single race, no matter if the general consensus thought that it was weak or not. Mostly, he was right: he could pick stuff like fakirs or Giants and still win. You do have to know how to play the races though and newbies will be disadvantaged, but that's the nature of some euros. Dungeon Petz is the same even though it doesn't have perfect information.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's weird though because I feel like I shouldn't like Terra Mystica but I do anyway. It incorporates or executes elements I didn't realize I responded to is my best guess.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Terra Mystica is my "I feel like I am the only person in the universe who doesn't appreciate this" game. (I'm sure we all have at least one of these. Dominion for me is maybe number two but that's another can of worms.)

I find it very hard to teach compared to other euros, and I feel like the map and buildings kind of imply to new players there is more interaction then is actually the case, where competition for space is probably less intense on the map and more so for bonus tiles and the cult tracks. I feel like this should be the other way around. On the other hand, I probably haven't played it enough to really appreciate the mechanics. I just feel like there are other euros which are easier to explain/shorter like Hansa Teutonica or Troyes, or as deep but more thematic and satisfying (Through the Ages, Brass, Le Havre/Gric/Caverna/dominant species). I can never seem to find a reason to get Terra Mystica to the table and explore the diversity in the racial options which seems like where a lot of the value is. It's not THAT complex, particularly with players used to worker placement games, but it seems to be hard to get people across all the mechanics in comparison to other games. Anecdotal experience only of course.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I feel that if a lot of people are going for the 'longest linked number of pieces' objective, there is quite a lot of interaction, but that relies on you realising where people can go according to how many resources they have and they racial advantages. Yet again, the expansion does help because the map is both designed to be a lot more bottle-necky as well as the fact that you have to use and extra end-of-game bonus tile, which can make it doubly worth it to expand aggressively. Cutting people off from rivers as well is important both in the base game and the expansion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'd say "get a room", but he doesn't need one.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I feel that if a lot of people are going for the 'longest linked number of pieces' objective, there is quite a lot of interaction, but that relies on you realising where people can go according to how many resources they have and they racial advantages. Yet again, the expansion does help because the map is both designed to be a lot more bottle-necky as well as the fact that you have to use and extra end-of-game bonus tile, which can make it doubly worth it to expand aggressively. Cutting people off from rivers as well is important both in the base game and the expansion.

I think I just may need to play it more. Probably what I meant, though, was not that it has a low amount of interaction, but that it is not immediately obvious to new players how that interaction manifests and what they need to pay attention to on the board. Whereas I think some other euros with points salads and spatial/route stuff (like Hansa Teutonica) are a bit more obvious, play faster and are perhaps nearly as deep. Again, maybe I just need to play it more to figure out its strengths and what kind of group/experience it suits.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Really one of the reasons why I like TM is the side asymmetry. For all the love I have of mirror-match Tash Kalar, I really like when a game has factions that function differently but are internally balanced against each other.TM has that, as well as the entirety of the COIN series, Yomi has it as well, the entirety of the wargaming genre (well, more or less). I even enjoy Dungeon Lords more when it introduced the different starting dungeons that you can get (try them, they don't make the game much harder but they are really interesting).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I taught Terra mystica to a guy who was relatively new to board games a few weeks ago he obviously didn't do well but this last week he asked me to bring it again, so its obviously not as off putting to new gamers as people are making out.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

This might be a weird view but if a game has asymmetry these days I want it to be chosen randomly and not have that give one player a significant advantage. The expansion points auction of random races sounds like what I'd do with TM too, though it still doesn't fix my issue with the game requiring so much metagame knowledge (maybe it makes it even worse, now you don't just need to know how everything works but be able to value it in points).

I always random deck in Tash-Kalar or Mage Knight, and I like the starting dungeons in Dungeon Lords too. None of these are as game changing as race selection in TM though. Even in Puzzle Strike which I quite enjoy it bugs me when you random up a bank of chips that heavily favours one character or another.

Rumda posted:

I taught Terra mystica to a guy who was relatively new to board games a few weeks ago he obviously didn't do well but this last week he asked me to bring it again, so its obviously not as off putting to new gamers as people are making out.

I'm just giving my view of it! The owner in our group quite likes it, the rest of us don't. Again, I can clearly see why it appeals to people.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Choosing randomly might still give a player an advantage, however, but this time the decision is completely out of the players hands. For every time that random choice makes the newbie get a 'good' race and the experienced player a 'bad' race, the opposite can happen. I much prefer that the choice is made by the players themselves and allow the experienced players to not be an rear end in a top hat and pick something that would equalize the situation somewhat (although, to be fair, it is entirely possible to win with any race in TM).

I don't honestly think there is as much meta-knowledge necessary for TM as you think and it didn't take that long for me to get a general flavour of the different races and their strong/weak points. Twilight Struggle has a much larger requirement of meta-knowledge in order to play it well, and it only has 2 factions available. Yomi is even worse because not only do you need to know the 20 characters, but the matchups between them as well (in this regard, however, it does simulate fighting games). I do agree, however, that the auction does require experienced players to work properly and that is something that will put players off.

That's actually what happened to me: when I first played TM I wasn't really that enthralled by it: it seemed like a pretty standard by-the-numbers euro. When I played it a few times and got to appreciate its strategic depth I was really taken by it and I would probably buy a copy if it wasn't so drat expensive.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

That makes sense to me. Do you like Rex/Dune, out of interest? Would seem to be one of the best games in the variable starting power world. Chaos in the Old world and forbidden stars too?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I kind of liked CitOW but it didn't feel terribly balanced to me in some ways. I think the expansion helped a little bit in that regard, and playing the rats was fun, but I'm not 100% on the asymmetry being handled that well. Also the combat system doesn't completely win me over either. I haven't tried Forbidden Stars but I played the original Starcraft game a long time ago and I thought it was alright.

I do like Rex/Dune (rex more than dune, actually). I've played it a couple of times and I've liked it every time I've played it. The asymmetry is handled pretty well, especially in Dune and I've seen every faction win (although this is helped by the alliance system).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think one of the things I like about Terra Mystica is the feeling of picking a race, figuring out/deciding what your strategy will be (like "what is this race's 'thing' and how can I leverage it") trying to pick start areas that will enable that (and re-plan on the fly if it's not working out) and then just seeing if you can pull off your plan while both working around any monkey wrenches thrown up by opponents' actions while grabbing extra points on the way without screwing up or forgetting something.

I never feel like "the game" has ever screwed me.

Not winning has a "well that didn't work out, I totally should have/next time I will..." feel to it.

I think that once it becomes a next level meta game like I imagine it does with really experienced players I'd lose interest.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 13, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I got to play Zhan Guo tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit, its pretty themeless engine building but the mechanics are solid and the decisions quite heavy. It reminded me a fair bit of Deus but significantly better, crunchier and more fair.

Main downside was the excruciatingly long point salad scoring at the end of the game.

Tekopo posted:

That's actually what happened to me: when I first played TM I wasn't really that enthralled by it: it seemed like a pretty standard by-the-numbers euro. When I played it a few times and got to appreciate its strategic depth I was really taken by it and I would probably buy a copy if it wasn't so drat expensive.
I guess I'll see, I just doubt we'll play it enough.

I don't much like Yomi and think TS is kind of a story generator game for what it's worth.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bubble-T posted:

TS is kind of a story generator game for what it's worth.

what

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

It's super high variance not to mention poo poo like bear trap, IMO it's status as a serious strategy game is a bit overblown.

I like the alternate history it creates and enjoy playing it still.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Bubble-T posted:

It's super high variance not to mention poo poo like bear trap, IMO it's status as a serious strategy game is a bit overblown.

I like the alternate history it creates and enjoy playing it still.

Yeah I'm also gonna have to disagree. Why do you think it has super high variance, and what exactly do you mean by that?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

It's a single deck game where a whole load of stuff depends on 1D6 rolls :confused:

I'm not saying its a bad game or anything I just don't think it's all that relevant to the discussion I was having with Tekopo about asymmetry and required knowledge, because I do not play Twilight Struggle for the reasons I'd play a dry Euro like Terra Mystica.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The reshuffles make it a single deck game that can actually be influenced and that's actually a really big part of the strategy. You can still win even if the coup rolls go against you and if they are the end and be all of your strategy, you will lose. Game has a solid strategic core, saying that it doesn't is really bizarre.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

I've played some 4p now IRL and a little bit of 5p online. It does benefit from being tighter but doesn't fundamentally the change how the game plays out as far as I can tell. My comment about knowing how the whole thing will play out is sort of a dig at the game but I also think that's true, it's a game for people who actually want that sort of long term zero-randomness look ahead style.

The biggest problem I have with it really is it seems to be more of a lifestyle game than a lot of modern board games. My group has one guy who owns it and when we get together everyone pretty much just picks whatever race and flails around and then whoever got a good race/start for the scoring and bonus tiles probably wins (e.g. our last game I got halflings with 4th round digging points and some other favourable stuff, and even though I let my sanctuary get totally cut off I just rolled over everyone else with a big round of digging). Usually one guy totally misjudges what their race is supposed to do and spends two hours being obviously and irreparably behind. The designers did a good job making it look accessible and the core mechanics are actually pretty easy to teach but you can't really start playing until you know enough about all the races and what they want to properly draft at the beginning of the game. I don't really care to put that much effort in, and even if I did I'd have nobody to play with unless 4 other people I know all somehow liked the game enough to do the same. Bringing a newbie in to it seems like an exercise in sadism.

It's one of the issues I had when I played MtG and one of the things that keeps me from learning Go, at some point with those games you basically have to seek out other people on your level just to play the game and while I do like mastering games I primarily play board games so I can have a good time with my friends. So far Terra Mystica has utterly failed at that goal in a way that any number of other heavy euros haven't. I can see why people would get heavy in to Terra Mystica but it's really not for me (and if I wanted something like that I probably would just find a Go club).

It's funny, this is pretty much how my group feels about Agricola. TM doesn't similarly bother us, though :shrug:. If I had to guess why, I would say we take a little more enjoyment out of defeat since part of the fun is watching everyone leverage their races to the fullest and the story that unfolds. That, and the race to become leader in network/cults adds some drama to a game like this that euros with more of an independent scoring system often lack. Some of my most memorable games were losses that still had struggle for the network or cult tracks up until the final round.

I think I'm benefitting from playing it with a bunch of people simultaneously exploring the game, though, and imagine it being pretty rough against much more experienced people online or something. We're probably playing the equivalent of "Little Kid Magic" in terms of meta strategy maturity (synergy paradigm solutions tm)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I didn't think to bring it up here until just now, but I'm currently doing A Let's Play/group play of Last Frontier, for anyone who might be interested in watching a bunch of goons collectively get hosed up by aliens, or me gently caress up rules.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I'm souring on Agricola as time passes too because it feels like a hand of cards that takes 2 hours to play out.

Maybe I've just played too much Concordia lately, I don't know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would play more Agricola if it had anime pictures. Coincidentally that's why I like tragedy looper - a good anime game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Bubble-T posted:

I'm souring on Agricola as time passes too because it feels like a hand of cards that takes 2 hours to play out.

Maybe I've just played too much Concordia lately, I don't know.

I've been leaning back and forth between picking up Agricola or Caverna, without bringing up that huge debate, does the later suffer from the issue you're describing?

Edit: Question to anyone who has played both

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 13, 2015