Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Well mostly I'm concerned with why the wash settled in such a way as to make very very large dark spots, so that I didn't have much free room to actually highlight.

If the area is like, physically filled up with paint that you can't highlight a concave area then your wash is too thick and needs to be thinned down.

If your issue is that it pooled in places you didn't appreciate, you can pretty easily manipulate the wash by lightly drying your brush and carefully dipping it into the pool without hitting the mini. You'll suck up excess wash without smudging the mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

If the area is like, physically filled up with paint that you can't highlight a concave area then your wash is too thick and needs to be thinned down.

If your issue is that it pooled in places you didn't appreciate, you can pretty easily manipulate the wash by lightly drying your brush and carefully dipping it into the pool without hitting the mini. You'll suck up excess wash without smudging the mini.

So I should be applying less wash, over a more even area?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phi230 posted:

Well mostly I'm concerned with why the wash settled in such a way as to make very very large dark spots, so that I didn't have much free room to actually highlight.

I guess I'm asking, that when I'm re-applying the basecoat where do I actually highlight? Especially when there aren't a lot of details and it's mostly flat like the above model's pants.

Imagine a light coming down on the model from above. Or, if you don't want to imagine, shine a flashlight or whatever on the model from above and take a picture of it.

Highlight where the light would hit.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Wash should settle in recesses, not fill them completely. If it's not dark enough when it dries, give it a second pass.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Phi230 posted:

So I should be applying less wash, over a more even area?

Sure, the reason for the pooling is that there's more wash on the mini than the surface area can hold onto, so the excess washes over the rest and settles into gaps and dents thanks to our friend Gravity. It's up to personal preference whether to use a heavy or light wash, depends on if you want stark highlights or a more subtle contrast.

But again, if the wash is outright filling in the details (not as in hiding them with dark paint, as in outright just smoothing the area out) then your wash is too thick or the paint is still too wet. If it's the latter I can relate; I make washes out of normal paints myself, and they'll always end up blotting the paint more than specially made washes. I like Vallejo's Game Color Black Wash; you get a huge tub of it for cheap, it's easy to get different consistencies out of it due to the separating ingredients, it pulls off some gorgeous shadows, and the semigloss sheen helps the highlights layered on top pop.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 5, 2017

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Watch a few more videos on people applying wash to a miniature to get it down. The great thing about a wash is you can usually just wipe it off and reapply or soak up the excess if you loaded too much on the brush.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
https://youtu.be/tUQsiv41Enw
Duncan Rhodes shows how to use a wash.

Sidenote, the WarhammerTV daily painting tips and the occasional full tutorial is the only such thing I watch whenever they're uploaded, regardless of how useful they are to me. I just love listening to Duncan painting. :allears:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Der Shovel posted:

I'm not sure if you went over it already or not, but how do you paint that wonderfully rich purple?

It's Xereus Purple washed with Drakenhof Nightshade, and then line-highlighted with a mix of Xereus and Fulgrim Pink, and in some places a dot or 2 of pure Fulgrim.

Here's a group shot of the Sea of Purple and Teal (not pictured the sea of grey primed guys and Winged Sigmarines on the sprue still, and mini-mar's 4 gun brothers):

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What are you using for your armor color? I have a bunch of Sigbros and am going to be going the silver route as well.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are you using for your armor color? I have a bunch of Sigbros and am going to be going the silver route as well.

Leadbelcher, drakenhoff (washed the same time as the purple). Repaint leadbelcher on the moob/boob plate areas and finally highlighted with runefang steel.

The whole scheme is pretty quick and makes painting in batch easier. Base leadbelcher, teal and purple (astrogranite on bases). wash blue over entire model, wash black over base. Then paint gold, wash sepia, paint highlights, drybrush bases dawnstone grey and ulthuan grey and bingo.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there a good Vallejo Model Color-to-GW Paints equivalency chart anywhere?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

Leadbelcher, drakenhoff (washed the same time as the purple). Repaint leadbelcher on the moob/boob plate areas and finally highlighted with runefang steel.

The whole scheme is pretty quick and makes painting in batch easier. Base leadbelcher, teal and purple (astrogranite on bases). wash blue over entire model, wash black over base. Then paint gold, wash sepia, paint highlights, drybrush bases dawnstone grey and ulthuan grey and bingo.

Thanks. Quick and easy is what I'm looking for.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I'd like one of those as well. So far I've only found the one on Dakka that's absolutely lol-worthy in its wrongness and oldness. There was another on Reddit but as best I can tell the guy used online swatches to make it so it's basically useless despite looking impressive.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

There are probably some online charts on people's blogs, but if you're looking for something like an Android app, there's Hobby Color Converter. It's got a surprising number of product lines included; you just select a color from one company and scroll to find other companies' equivalents or near-matches.

e: Weirdly, they don't have Army Painter. They do feature Citadel, Revell, Humbrol, Vallejo, etc.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 5, 2017

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Some WIP shots of my first minis, apologies for the bad cell phone pics.

Magus:

I felt like there was something off about the wash I used but that could just be inexperience. It seemed somehow at the some time too thin, but then also like the pigment was suspended in it weirdly so it kind of clumped together in spots rather than being uniform

Bonus start of Neophyte squad:

Any tips/suggestions are welcome, I'm mostly just fumbling along and trying to do things as close as I can to the various tutorials on youtube.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

What's the best acrylic water effect that won't yellow up in a few months?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

There's the official one: http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/0049261608364909a238add9b4a53745/CC073-rev05.pdf

I mostly use https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/htmlview which is probably the wrongbad reddit one mentioned above. It works well enough for me, particularly since I'm not super fussed with exact conversions and I use a lot of reaper triads.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Just loving start painting. Your first models are going to look like poo poo, but you will learn what works and what doesn't.

Just remember to thin your paints.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Is there a reason it has to be acrylic? As far as I know, most acrylic-based water effects are just gloss medium, so you could try those. If it were me though, I'd get clear two-part resin (not the 5-minute epoxy kind!) that people use to seal art and use that. The last I looked at this, Art Resin seemed like the best bet.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Avenging Dentist posted:

Is there a reason it has to be acrylic? As far as I know, most acrylic-based water effects are just gloss medium, so you could try those. If it were me though, I'd get clear two-part resin (not the 5-minute epoxy kind!) that people use to seal art and use that. The last I looked at this, Art Resin seemed like the best bet.

I only need a little for some small fountains and it'll be mostly on some fishing line with only a tiny pool so I don't need a lot and I'd prefer to not have to mix. I do have plenty of gloss medium so maybe I'll just try that.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Pour-on by Envirotex Lite is basically the same stuff. And can be found at Michaels.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking from personal experience, clear resin is really good for a base water effect to build on or a still water effect, but works poorly for water effects because of how fluid it is and how slow it dries.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

selnaric posted:

Pour-on by Envirotex Lite is basically the same stuff. And can be found at Michaels.

The main difference with Art Resin from Envirotex is that the former has more anti-UV stuff, which helps with reducing yellowing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

FromTheShire posted:

Does anyone have experience with using GW's orange wash? I'm doing some Cult of the Rusted Claw GSC, going for a very bright, construction worker look, so I started with Troll Slayer rather than Jokaero which looked pretty good on my Magus, but after washing him with Agrax Earthshade like Duncan had done in his videos, I feel like it doesn't look right in the creases and made brightening it back up more work than need be. I feel like the logical answer is to use an orange wash instead, but figured it was worth asking first.

If you want a bright saturated yellow I recommend washing your yellow basecoat with GW Casandora Yellow (vallejo transparent yellow). Really works well to make a good yellow.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

FromTheShire posted:

Does anyone have experience with using GW's orange wash? I'm doing some Cult of the Rusted Claw GSC, going for a very bright, construction worker look, so I started with Troll Slayer rather than Jokaero which looked pretty good on my Magus, but after washing him with Agrax Earthshade like Duncan had done in his videos, I feel like it doesn't look right in the creases and made brightening it back up more work than need be. I feel like the logical answer is to use an orange wash instead, but figured it was worth asking first.

You might also be able to use Badger's Ghost Tint clear paints as washes; maybe dilute them slightly with a little Pledge/gloss varnish or a matte medium beforehand.  I did a Tau for the Oath Thread using two different Ghost Tints over white primer for the bulk of the armor, hand brushed on instead of airbrushing:

The brighter yellow is the Yellow ghost tint, and the more orange-looking areas are the Golden Yellow.  They're normally very glossy, but I put a matte varnish over the top to even them out.

I will say that Casandora Yellow does a very nice job of brightening up a surface that's already painted yellow or white, though, so if you've already got that glaze you might as well use it.  Ghost Tints can be really fiddly to deal with, and they have a tendency to come unglued from surfaces with the slightest contact, even after drying (at least until you get a coat of varnish over them).

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross-posting Girlyman:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Crosspost from the 40K thread;

This is my first army, and what I've been working on over the past four months.

Hobby owns. Miniature painting owns. Everything owns. I've never had as much fun in my life.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Thanqol posted:

Crosspost from the 40K thread;

Hobby owns. Miniature painting owns. Everything owns. I've never had as much fun in my life.

Your dudes rock! This hobby is great.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to sculpt a monster for the AoS28 Monster Competition and I've run dry of any decent inspiration. Posting here to fish for any ideas

My basic idea was some sort of centauroid monster, but beyond diagramming out the proportions, I didn't do much more planning with regards to the final appearance. I've just about finished all the musculature, and I am in a quandary about where to go next. Current themes that are floating around my head:

1. Knight/warrior in heavy armour - Pros: Easy to do. Cons: Wasted a lot of effort sculpting all those muscles, also very common.
2. Sorcerer/scholar in robes and lots of books, potion bottles etc - Pros: Relatively unique, potentially very striking. Cons: A ton of effort as I have to sculpt all the little detail bits individually.
3. Naked/Barbarian - Pros: Very easy, minimal extra work. Cons: I don't think my surface texturing is that good and it will probably show up in the final product.

Also the tail has me stuck

1. Manticore tail?
2. Human-face tail?
3. Weapon tail like a tyranid?
4. Regular lion/tiger tail?

Thoughts?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
As it's very lithe instead of bulky you could go a more ranger/scout direction

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
barbarian wearing mayan garb, or sci-fi mounted police

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

The correct answer is scorpion tail.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

OptimusWang posted:

The correct answer is scorpion tail.
This guy gets it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Need your guys help with something.

I am currently working on the wings for my Mortarion model. I want them to seem angelic, but tarnished, so so far I have gotten them to this point. I basecoated them, did some spray highlights and color variations, then fade washed with sepia ink in my airbrush. But now I am not sure where to go next. Part of my was thinking of drybrushing the bone color onto the entire wing surface, but I am not 100% sure. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 9, 2017

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Ordered a compressor, flow improver, etc.

Any chance the Patriot 105 will drop more than $20 in the next month or so?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goodness posted:

Ordered a compressor, flow improver, etc.

Any chance the Patriot 105 will drop more than $20 in the next month or so?

Black Friday

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Did you get a pressure regulator/water trap filter? They're usually combined, and cheap enough that they're typically thrown in with compressors, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. They're pretty useful for miniatures since you aren't going to want to hardcore blast the mini with paint outside of base coats.

A quick release cap is also nice for removing & cleaning the airbrush after a color without messing with the compressor, but that's also something cheap enough that hoses/compressors come with as well.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got an ultrasonic cleaner

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
jadebullet, that color gradient is really nice and subtle. A light drybrush of your bone color (either straight or mixed with a very pale yellow) would definitely make the edges of the feathers pop.

Color questions:  Does anyone have any experience using Vallejo Silvergrey 152 matte (70883), specifically if it's a good match for GW's Pallid Wych Flesh?  I'm getting an unpleasant chalky texture from Pallid Wych when mixed with Vallejo glaze medium, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I need to switch paints.

Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for a nice pale pastel green, either a straight color or a mix from existing paints?  I'm thinking something close to the color of Nihilakh Oxide, but an actual paint instead of a technical/patina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Reasonably happy with how my first attempt at a Raven Guard turned out. Need to iterate.

Imgur album with notes on what I did, how I hosed up, and how I sometimes fixed it.

(Yes, the gun lens is poo poo.)