Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Seph posted:

I know you're going for a Trump jab here, but as a group expats are generally more educated, wealthy and open minded than average. All of those traits are pretty anti-fascist in nature so I'm not surprised at those numbers.

Those traits are not anti-fascist by any means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like France just might be Nazi bitch surrender babies after all. we'll find out in a couple of hours.

You don't seem to be very informed about the situation here

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Those traits are not anti-fascist by any means.

Education is extremely correlated with liberalism

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like France just might be Nazi bitch surrender babies after all. we'll find out in a couple of hours.

You're quite the oval office, aren't you?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/christianhern/status/861248965873983488

Is this legit?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BiohazrD posted:

Education is extremely correlated with liberalism
Liberalism correlates with supporting the conditions that give rise to fascism.

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

Yup.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Al-Saqr posted:

what the hell are you talking about

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Don't worry, we won't reproach the slaves of kings of not respecting free men.
Yeah ATM it's barely over 65%. It's literally the lowest participation % since 1969(which was a right-winger versus right-winger 2de round). Still projected to end around 70-75% or between +20 +25% bigger than the American Presidential election. We are extremely ashamed.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 7, 2017

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yeah I'm trying to get into the Bois de Vincennes and it's entirely cordoned. Cops and DPS trash everywhere

Looking for trouble?

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Uhh, this is exactly the long-shot scenario that could result in a Le Pen win. I'm not saying she is going to, but this describes what needed to happen for her to have a path.

"It was thought that Mr Macron could build a larger voting base than Ms Le Pen, as he was expected to mop up votes in the second round from those who support mainstream Right and Left candidates in the first.

But it appeared last night that a large number of supporters for the conservative, Francois Fillon, and the far-Left Jean-Luc Melenchon stayed home on election day.

And a vast number chose to spoil their ballots or abstain at the polls - as many as 29% of voters, according to one estimate. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/07/french-election-live-marine-le-pen-emmanuel-macron-presidency/

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Toplowtech posted:

Don't worry, we won't reproach the slaves of kings of not respecting free men.

Yeah ATM it's barely over 65%. It's literally the lowest participation % since 1969(which was a right-winger versus right-winger 2de round). Still projected to end around 70-75% or between +20 +25% bigger than the American Presidential election. We are extremely ashamed.

There is nothing wrong with that kind of turn out. Especially in what has been a very divisive campaign. If anything I'm shocked participation is still so high.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

LegendaryFrog posted:

Uhh, this is exactly the long-shot scenario that could result in a Le Pen win. I'm not saying she is going to, but this describes what needed to happen for her to have a path.

"It was thought that Mr Macron could build a larger voting base than Ms Le Pen, as he was expected to mop up votes in the second round from those who support mainstream Right and Left candidates in the first.

But it appeared last night that a large number of supporters for the conservative, Francois Fillon, and the far-Left Jean-Luc Melenchon stayed home on election day.

And a vast number chose to spoil their ballots or abstain at the polls - as many as 29% of voters, according to one estimate. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/07/french-election-live-marine-le-pen-emmanuel-macron-presidency/

Hahah wow the french are loving morons. have fun with that old hag crone.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Looking for trouble?

Waiting for the Black Bloc

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DutchDupe posted:

There is nothing wrong with that kind of turn out. Especially in what has been a very divisive campaign. If anything I'm shocked participation is still so high.

we take our civic duty very seriously here

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
29% abstention is about what the polls that had macron winning 62-38 had.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

idiot frecnhman posted:

But for Jean-Philippe Sacquepey, 57, Le Pen represented a much greater destiny for France. “This republic can’t last,” he says. “We must return to the monarchy.” For that, there was only one candidate. “The Le Pen family is descended from Joan of Arc,” Sacquepey insisted. “I voted for Marine – the heart of Joan of Arc still beats.”

France is special.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^^^^Well at least they aren't pretending to be the blood of the Christ.

Electronico6 posted:

France is special.
Little know fact D'Arc is loving bad translation of her name in her hard pronounce Eastern France (of the time) accent, "d'Art", it means 'of the bridge" or in modern French it's Dupont,so her name isn't Jeanne D'Arc, it's Jeannette Dupont.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 7, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Seph posted:

I know you're going for a Trump jab here, but as a group expats are generally more educated, wealthy and open minded than average. All of those traits are pretty anti-fascist in nature so I'm not surprised at those numbers.

Counterpoint: check how Turkish expats recently voted.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Electronico6 posted:

France is special.

jesus. so this dumb poo poo wants to go back to some dipshit who believes god chose him to be the state and then piss away the treasury and men in dumb wars and building projects. the only goodish king was Louis the 14th because he got dumb poo poo aristocrats to fight over whiping his rear end and helping him dress as he took all their power.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

No the guy who likes Joan D'arc is right we should live out the experience of Le Pen in the exact same way Joan lived especially the ending where she got burned at the stake.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I look forward to the UK-French 100 day war in 2017.

Possibly 100-hour war if nukes are involved.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Afternoon, I've been trying to follow the French election recently and it made me realize I don't know anything about French politics. So I'm looking around for some book recommendations and I was hoping folks in here might be able to help. I'm looking for anything from the beginning of the 18th century to present, really, but stuff from the 20th century dealing with De Gaulle, Algeria, etc would be especially appreciated. I'd be interested in any book that is relatively comprehensive about its era, still current/reliable in its info (meaning hasn't been outdated by subsequent research or newer interpretations), and hopefully engaging to read without being too dry or academic. Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Electronico6 posted:

France is special.

Very speshul.

Oh sorry I mean special.

:downs:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/anealla/status/861163639465816064

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dunbar posted:

Afternoon, I've been trying to follow the French election recently and it made me realize I don't know anything about French politics. So I'm looking around for some book recommendations and I was hoping folks in here might be able to help. I'm looking for anything from the beginning of the 18th century to present, really, but stuff from the 20th century dealing with De Gaulle, Algeria, etc would be especially appreciated. I'd be interested in any book that is relatively comprehensive about its era, still current/reliable in its info (meaning hasn't been outdated by subsequent research or newer interpretations), and hopefully engaging to read without being too dry or academic. Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Pursuit of Power gives you a good overview over the 19th century (up to 1914)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I just realized she said this as she's LEAVING MASS, holy poo poo what an awesome christian crone this hag is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Aren't you from Saudi Arabia of all places?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Are you ready for the final chapter of fascism becoming a legitimate political force in this hosed-up country we call France?

https://twitter.com/bengallerey/status/861274060529049600

say goodbye to the "Front National", and get ready for a new and improved brand that doesn't have a history of being racist assholes

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Liberalism correlates with supporting the conditions that give rise to fascism.

Based on which countries in the EU which are considered the freest in an economic sense, we can also say they have the least problem with nationalism and is therefore anti-correlated.

Or the correct answer which is that the issue is more complicated than simply using straw mans like neoliberalism and fascism to handwave away issues.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

That's what makes his rambling posting extra funny.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

That's what makes his rambling posting extra funny.

It's just bizarre, even if Le Pen won France would still be a hundred times more democratic and respectful of human rights than Saudi Arabia.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the wait is killing me

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Wait what the hell does Joan of Arc have to do with the monarchy?

Joan of Arc was born to peasants and died a peasant. Wouldn't there be better candidates? Like, royal families?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

lol yeah but it's cool that that's your standard for france to meet lool.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

the wait is killing me

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Macron will probably win but it'll be closer than any of us thought it would be, and much closer than it by right should be.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

disjoe posted:

Joan of Arc was born to peasants and died a peasant. Wouldn't there be better candidates? Like, royal families?
She defended the rightful king of France against foreign occupiers, and internal enemies. Le Pen will do the same for her king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

disjoe posted:

Nope,see she set the royal family back to the throne(like before she came the king was in a sorry state) and then died(because the king more or less sacrificed her) and her dead was used as a symbol of the fight against England. And then the pope canonized her making catholicaly official her "doctrine*".
Also the hysteria around her "legend" is one who never slow the gently caress down
And she wasn't a "peasant", she did guard the animals from time to time (but she was from the countryside), her father was an artisan not some poor chap. The d'Arc weren't some poo poo familly. Also her loving taste in furred dress/clothes weren't cheap.

*No son of England shall rule France.

Basically everything you probably learned about Joan of Arc is probably George Washington's wooden teeth level nonsense.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 7, 2017