Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I just want an egalitarian materialist paradise with a slight hint of xenophobia and isolationism.

This was fixed for most combos. I've played xenophobe+pacifist and can confirm they get a special faction that's super isolationist (i.e. no interactions, not even wars), as opposed to trying to get you to poo poo on everyone else like they normally do. I think a similar thing happens with xenophobe+egalitarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Carrier Battleships are really good now and you can do pretty well with a mixed Carrier and Big Gun Battleship fleet but it really depends on what you're fighting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

This was fixed for most combos. I've played xenophobe+pacifist and can confirm they get a special faction that's super isolationist (i.e. no interactions, not even wars), as opposed to trying to get you to poo poo on everyone else like they normally do. I think a similar thing happens with xenophobe+egalitarian.

Oh poo poo that's rad, when Utopia first came out I wrong a big long ramble about how there need to be a bunch of new factions to better handle different state ethos combos. Might do an egalitarian xenophobe materialist game next then :)
And it's fairly easy to add in new factions too I think, I looked at the file and it didn't seem to bad.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Jabarto posted:

I'm only just getting into the game again but I seem to remember the problem here being that battleships can't hit anything smaller than a space station with their huge guns. I'd love to be wrong, though; I've always wanted to roll around with an armored fist of artillery laden battleships and crush everything at long range.

Kinetic artillery and giga cannons have high miss rates against corvettes and really high evasion cruisers, but this can offset by using arc emitters instead of giga cannons and a chunk of your fleet a carrier core with PD, 1 large missile slot, and fighters/bombers. Arc emitters do not miss, even against 99% evasion. 100% accuracy/100% tracking.

The thing is though any fleet combination tends to work fine if you play to a specific goal, your ethics strength (i.e. psykers and evasion builds) or can just get to a point where you equalize any disadvantage you had in quantity of ships.

I prefer the all battleship build after a while for 3 reasons: high EHP means you don't generally lose anything unless its a very serious battle, you can do the hit and run retreat thing, and it plays to a strength of frontloading everything into max range shooting, so that stacking the repeatable kinetic buffs just makes it more and more effective.

That being said, going with the balanced type build or the high evasion build still also works. From what I've sene there's no one cookie cutter build that's just flat better than everything else, and I think that's the point people miss. I mean there might be something that wins in hardcore MP games, but for awhile that was spamming basic corvettes forever. That's not a fun way to the play the game.

Also, FWIW the different crisis seem to run different ship builds now too: the Contingency for example is all energy weapons and a metric FUCKTON of shields. Plasma is going to suffer accordingly against that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 1, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Battleships used to be a pretty terrible waste of resources and fleet strength, cruisers were the real workhorse brawlers you wished your BBs were, and I don't know if that's changed. They had (have?) atrocious hit rates against smaller ships so a swarm of plasma corvettes would eat them alive. They also have all that potential armor but don't use it effectively to tank hits instead hanging out in the back looking real pretty but generally being useless. I don't think this guide has been updated for 1.8 yet but it's what I am using and still seems pretty effective and this is his take on battleships.

quote:

You probably wonder why there are no battleships in the list.
After a lot of games, I reached the conclusion that battleships are not efficient to use in most cases, in my opinion, battleships primary problems are that they are always at the back of the fleet and only attract fire from other battleships while provide little threat or protection to the rest of the fleet. And that they are immobile and they are not flexible in terms of engaging different types of ships.

Because they are immobile, they are vulnerable to the massive firepower coming from AE battleships's XL weapons, while smaller ships are immune to said weapons when closing in with them, smaller ships move in circles around battleships in close range, preventing them of using their spinal mounted XL weapons.

They pose little threat to smaller ships and are hard countered by them. They are expensive, take very long time to replace, and tend to break your mineral stock pretty dam fast, and most importantly provide very little actual value for their high cost.

Because of their reliance on large weapons, they have difficult time hitting anything that isn't an another battleship and anything that has some degree of evasion and unlike destroyers, they do not benefit from high tracking to help them hit smaller targets and so they are only good at their own playground (battleship vs battleship).

Despite their large health value and armor, they do not attract fire away from your ships and don't tank any damage away from your fleet as they hang back during combat, unlike Cruisers.
Battleships always die last in space battles.

Destroyer is a much better platform to carry large weapons than a battleship, they have good evasion, much better hit chance, are mobile, and easy to replace in numbers.

While Corvettes, Destroyers and cruisers are all good against any type of ship and have flexible loadout options, battleships remain effective only against other battleships and fair poorly against everything smaller.

In a scenerio where a fleet that includes battleships, fights a fleet that has no battleships, the results will be that the battleships will have big issues hitting anything at all, greatly diminishing their effectiveness and pretty much becoming a dead weight.

He does later go on to mention that he thinks they work good against the Prethoryn. I haven't tried carriers battleships at all yet though so I'm gonna build a bunch of those and see how they work since I've heard alot of praise for them.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
And yet, in testing, this happened:

Something like 80% of my total damage done there was arc emitters. Even with my massed kinetic artillery having a hit rate of <1%, it didn't matter. Everything seems to ignore that arc emitters don't give a poo poo about evasion or high movement.

Battleships aren't strictly better than the alternatives, but they sure as gently caress work just fine if you actually build to their strengths. That's the point I've tried to get across forever, and people just seem to link the same guides over and over, glossing over the details of both my words and the rest of that guide.

Also if you scroll down in said guide most of his crisis-suggested fleets are actually just battleships or cruisers, the no-battleship fleet really excels against AEs, because you take the titans and XLs out of the picture. That's a perfectly viable strategy for fighting Awakened Empires and indeed likely better than spamming battleships should you be at a huge quantity disadvantage and not already dead. But it also isn't the only good choice.

Also since he doesn't have a contingency build in there, its all shields and energy weapons, arc emitters especially. Small ships will suffer accordingly yet again.

FWIW: My standard late game is all battleships, and something like 2-3:1 of these builds:

2-3 Kinetics with all artillery+Giga, fire rate or weapon range admiral preferred. Stack the kinetic repeatables when you get to that point and it'll scale forever.
1 Arc emitter up front, carrier core with Flak, missiles (only small slot with good range) and strike craft. Another large in the final slot, can be whatever you want, usually another artillery.

I'll vary my exact strike craft and armor/shields loadout to whatever the big threat is next. If I have to fight a human player who built for evasion, I'll change to all Arc emitters and potentially drop large weapons entirely. If you have to fight a major war before you can really hit a critical mass of battleships like this, than the other builds are totally viable and often preferable. But at 200 years before a crisis now, I don't expect that to be a problem.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 1, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Axetrain posted:

Battleships used to be a pretty terrible waste of resources and fleet strength, cruisers were the real workhorse brawlers you wished your BBs were, and I don't know if that's changed. They had (have?) atrocious hit rates against smaller ships so a swarm of plasma corvettes would eat them alive. They also have all that potential armor but don't use it effectively to tank hits instead hanging out in the back looking real pretty but generally being useless. I don't think this guide has been updated for 1.8 yet but it's what I am using and still seems pretty effective and this is his take on battleships.

He does later go on to mention that he thinks they work good against the Prethoryn. I haven't tried carriers battleships at all yet though so I'm gonna build a bunch of those and see how they work since I've heard alot of praise for them.

I've found carriers with arc emitters to be extremely effective in the current build but my current game hasn't reached a crisis yet.

I've found that my non-PD Destroyers and Interceptor Corvettes have been the most fragile ships in my fleet. Both PD Destroyers and Torpedo Boat Corvettes have been pretty effective and survivable as a screen for my Battleships and Cruisers.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I guess I'll try more battleship fleets then, especially arc emitters . I posted that guide because It's the only in depth build by build guide I'm aware of and I've seen alot of "how do I build my fleets" posts by goons, myself included.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Axetrain posted:

I guess I'll try more battleship fleets then, especially arc emitters . I posted that guide because It's the only in depth build by build guide I'm aware of and I've seen alot of "how do I build my fleets" posts by goons, myself included.

Yeah I'm sorry if it came off as snappy, but you're not the first person to shoot down battleship builds because of the steam/reddit guides.

For what it's worth, before you can hit like ~70k worth of fleet power you don't really have the critical mass you need to just smash people in the long range portion of the fight. That, and as mentioned in the guide the small-mix fleet is pretty optimal vs AE because they come with Titans and lots of XL slots, which you can negate. You have to approach the situation with what you have/can build, so there are times where all cruisers or the steam guide builds make more sense. I'm just trying to get out there that all battleships is perfectly viable if you actually build them for what they're good at. And that's generally long range murdering. Mixing them into smaller fleets tends to waste this, since half of your fleet is good at one thing and the other half another.

Also, I just beat a contingency crisis with the above layout, I was at 200k to their 250k big fleets, and I think ended around 175k after all 4 core worlds. I set up 5-6 shipyards for battleship production and throw an admiral governor on that sector though, so I can queue up losses pretty quickly relative to just building normal battleships.

EDIT: Also while Arc Emitters are very good against high evasion, their weakness is that their damage roll is anywhere from 0-200, meaning they might do very little per hit. This is bad against large ships since they'll just tank that when you need them not to be, so going all Arc Emitters against heavier fleets can be problematic.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 1, 2017

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Tangentally related, but what strength fleet should you have before going after a Fallen Empire? I'm building up to 2 ~35-40k fleets and I have Galactic Contender, will that be enough?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Soup du Jour posted:

Tangentally related, but what strength fleet should you have before going after a Fallen Empire? I'm building up to 2 ~35-40k fleets and I have Galactic Contender, will that be enough?

You should be pretty comfortable at 80k+, but be careful as they have a lot of military stations that can sway things. Best bet is to build up a little more then try to scout out their concentrations before jumping in. if you're larger than them they won't come after you right away, or they'll shoot for a open planet and you can kill their fleet away from their bases. Also occasionally they'll merge all their fleets together once war is declared, which can be problematic depending on how many they spawned with.

Awakened empires are different and often much, much stronger, so be careful about which is which.

EDIT: VVVV Yikes, they might've stepped it up like the crisis

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 2, 2017

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just poked a fallen empire (settled near them) and had to contend with a 125k fleet vs. my 85k one + Galactic Contender. Went poorly.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I was playing a game as a fanatic pacifist/egalitarian the other day and ran into a bit of a snag. A race adjacent to me was made up of Democratic Crusaders (or whatever that is called) and they loved me since I was a moral democracy, but I wasn't able to form a federation with them since we had different outlooks on war (I had a 40something penalty to relations since I didn't like aggressive war declarations).

Are pacifists not able to start/join federations with non-pacifists? I had kind of assumed that they would be all about participating in an intergalactic UN, but nothing doing it seems :/.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I was playing a game as a fanatic pacifist/egalitarian the other day and ran into a bit of a snag. A race adjacent to me was made up of Democratic Crusaders (or whatever that is called) and they loved me since I was a moral democracy, but I wasn't able to form a federation with them since we had different outlooks on war (I had a 40something penalty to relations since I didn't like aggressive war declarations).

Are pacifists not able to start/join federations with non-pacifists? I had kind of assumed that they would be all about participating in an intergalactic UN, but nothing doing it seems :/.

You probably default to "defensive wars only" while the Crusaders can do liberation wars or something. Makes sense that you guys disagree, really, a fanatic pacifist would be avoiding any and all conflict possible while the Democratic Crusaders want to, well, crusade.

If you want to get rid of the malus, go change your war policy (if you can, I think Fanatic Pacifists might be locked into defensive wars only no matter what).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mazz posted:

That, and as mentioned in the guide the small-mix fleet is pretty optimal vs AE because they come with Titans and lots of XL slots, which you can negate.

And I want to add, you don't have to negate it with build changes either; by baiting the AI into a fight where you're starting behind their fleet, you dodge pretty much all of that long range XL mount fire.

Battleship heavy fleet comps are really good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I haven't fiddled with it cause I'm lazy but is it viable to just split your fleets in two: shield regenning cruiser bait to charge in first to soak up long distance fire and force close combat and then battleships in a second group to engage and stay at long range?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

You probably default to "defensive wars only" while the Crusaders can do liberation wars or something. Makes sense that you guys disagree, really, a fanatic pacifist would be avoiding any and all conflict possible while the Democratic Crusaders want to, well, crusade.

True, and thank you!

Is that a problem pacifists frequently run into in this game (pacifists being excluded from federations due to issues with war policy), or does that really only become a thing when they are interacting with militarist states?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

This is cool and I'd be p psyched to see more poo poo like this. It'd be even better if the fish actually swam

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

True, and thank you!

Is that a problem pacifists frequently run into in this game (pacifists being excluded from federations due to issues with war policy), or does that really only become a thing when they are interacting with militarist states?

It depends on the galaxy empire population, but outside of threat boosting it above the malus, your going to sit unfederated in a waring galaxy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You're basically France in 2003 asking if they can set up a system where they can veto the US rolling into Iraq.

Eej posted:

I haven't fiddled with it cause I'm lazy but is it viable to just split your fleets in two: shield regenning cruiser bait to charge in first to soak up long distance fire and force close combat and then battleships in a second group to engage and stay at long range?

Should be, but A) It's going to require a lot of micro and B) You're probably not actually going to gain anything over just spending the cruiser minerals on additional battleships instead.

However, if you play with this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790455347 or one like it, the game is changed gentlegoon. You don't need to fanny around with individual fleets because you can just build ships according to what you desire they do in battle.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 2, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Battleships are bad because L / XL weapons can't hit small targets.

Also, trucks are bad against fire because bucket lifts are only good for fixing power lines.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yo is the combat in Stellaris still like an inferior CK2 with added micro, in that you still can only tell your ships to do one thing?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yo is the combat in Stellaris still like an inferior CK2 with added micro, in that you still can only tell your ships to do one thing?

yes

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So Wiz has apparently included an easter egg for the Star Citizen thread crowd.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

There's a star system called Stimsis.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Milky Moor posted:

I saw a Stimsis system.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nice. I suppose I've gotta play some fanatic purifiers searching for that system now. :haw:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems really weird that robots auto upgrade to droids which auto upgrade to sythns. What I want to keep some non-sapient robots around as servants? Why can't I have a planet where there was a 50/50 mix of synths with full citizenship rights and droids worker/servants to make them happy? Is there any mod that addresses this?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It seems really weird that robots auto upgrade to droids which auto upgrade to sythns. What I want to keep some non-sapient robots around as servants? Why can't I have a planet where there was a 50/50 mix of synths with full citizenship rights and droids worker/servants to make them happy? Is there any mod that addresses this?

It's also weird that it takes a really expensive project to upgrade from one type of robot/droid/synth to a slightly different kind, like one that is 10% better at mining, but it's apparently free to instantly upgrade every robot in your empire to AI sentience.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vyelkin posted:

It's also weird that it takes a really expensive project to upgrade from one type of robot/droid/synth to a slightly different kind, like one that is 10% better at mining, but it's apparently free to instantly upgrade every robot in your empire to AI sentience.

Yeah robomodding needs another pass. I think they took the wrong approach making it just like bio-modding but using engineering research instead of society. It should be more like upgrading ships or buildings, just cost some minerals/energy and be fairly quick and doable per-pop. Upgrading from droids to synths though could totally be a more research based system. But I really want to be able to keep droids around even when I get synths. Synths are citizens and people but droids/robots specialized to do one thing and stay in one place are really useful. Even in a fully synthetic society why wouldn't sapient synths still use robots/droids for mindless labour?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

A planet with just 6 tiles :wtc:. I didn't even know they could get this small.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Axetrain posted:

When the game released it was quite normal to get planets like that, tons of useless junk planets not worth colonizing. I think they changed the minimum to 12 so it's really weird to see a 6.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The only real small planet I've seen recently started life as a barren planet and got the anomaly ("Grimacing", I think?) that lets your scientist expend a few hundred energy to try and instantly terraform it. It was a size 6, actually, maybe that's what happened to that one? AI came along and did the event?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

The only real small planet I've seen recently started life as a barren planet and got the anomaly ("Grimacing", I think?) that lets your scientist expend a few hundred energy to try and instantly terraform it. It was a size 6, actually, maybe that's what happened to that one? AI came along and did the event?

Possible, I just found this in some freshly conquered territory.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Baronjutter posted:

When the game released it was quite normal to get planets like that, tons of useless junk planets not worth colonizing. I think they changed the minimum to 12 so it's really weird to see a 6.

I got a 7 from an event that turned a barren into a machine planet.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Axetrain posted:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I uploaded some neural patterns into synths and blessed them to colonize a system in our borders. The system they chose was right next to the Enigmatic Fortress... that's uh, an interesting development.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Baronjutter posted:

So I uploaded some neural patterns into synths and blessed them to colonize a system in our borders. The system they chose was right next to the Enigmatic Fortress... that's uh, an interesting development.

"what part of 'please respect our privacy' do you not understand"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Ugh. Gating the 2nd level genetic ascension path behind a rare tech makes me want to die. I qualify to draw targeted gene expressions, but after five techs without it appearing I decided to savescum until it appeared.

That was the idea, anyway. 20 loads later, it still hasn't appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

pretty good decision on their part. now anyone else who wants them sweet sweet shields/engines or useless loving enconder/decoders will have a much harder time doing it.

• Locked thread