Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alpha Mayo posted:

Still comes out as a cheap method of money laundering/avoiding finance regulations. There are also people who do not pay for their electricity (so consider it free, despite still costing the planet). There would be miners even if it cost $5000 electricity to mine $4000 worth.

For altcoins, it is more of a scale than a certain number. Some video cards are more efficient than others are mining. At various points, certain cards go from profitable to loss. Especially AMD cards since they are extremely inefficient.

You also got the true believers, who think that even though they are mining at a loss right now, in the future crypto will go to the moon and they are REALLY making $5000/day.

imagine if a small group of people owned the largest stock exchange, with no oversight of the platform or coding to make sure it is fair, because there are no regulations

now imagine this group of people start printing "Tether" out of thin air

now imagine you make up a lie about being "hacked" and losing the fiat, and replacing them with IOUs instead - Tether

now imagine that to trade on this exchange, you must deposit in your USD. In exchange for your USD, you receive 1 Tether at 1:1 ratio

now imagine you make an account on your own exchange, print out a ton of Tether, give it to your own account, and start buying Butts with it to drive up the price (and interest in Butts). There is no regulation that says you can't trade on your own exchange.

now imagine interest explodes from the amazing ever-rising Bitcoin, and you had 70% of all market trading volume trading your Tether. Even other exchanges are using your Tether.

now imagine you realize you can automate this process, and since you can have bots on your exchange doing this, you can control the price entirely. You know when the number is going to go up, because you make the number go up (by buying with Tether). You know when it will go down, because you can make it go down (by flooding with the Bitcoins you bought). You can make it stay 'even' with 'high volume' by having bots make wash trades constantly, which also hides true volume

now imagine you collude with some of the other large exchanges and have bots on their platforms as well.

now imagine you take ownership of the Bitcoin social networks by funding large astroturfing campaigns, such as on /r/Bitcoin, /r/CryptoCurrency, and BitcoinTalk. Turn it all into Russian memes about HODLing and Buying Dips to minimize the amount of people who will get scared and withdraw when they start losing money to your scam, anyone with concerns get downvoted by bots (and fearful suckers) to 0

now imagine people are catching on to your scam, with a popular user on Twitter announcing every time you print Tether, and suddenly the public realizes that 2.2 BILLION had been printed, with absolutely no proof any of this is backed by anything more than libertarian hopes and dreams. This user (TetherPrinter), is now banned on Twitter because Twitter is a dumb libertarian nazi platform, whose CEO supports Bitcoin.

now imagine because of your scam being revealed and having eyes on you, you have to halt printing. How do you stop the price from collapsing now? By colluding with the other exchanges and instead of printing new Tether to prop the price up, you just circulate the existing Tether by having those Exchanges take money out of their 'Tether cold wallet' and funding them back into trading bots. As long as there isn't a run on Tether (and there won't be, no one has any desire to withdraw and hold Tether because it can only possibly lose value), that Tether doesn't actually have to be held in cold storage, it can be used for pumping and propping. You now effectively have Fractional Reserve Banking for crypto (the joke being the "USD Reserve" is also Fictional, thus Fictional Reserve Banking).

now imagine you are a colluding exchange that allows large margin positions up to 100x, and can wait for suckers making big bets, and then move the price to the point where you can liquidate their position, sucking even more real money out from investors

now imagine as real money leaves the system (which only happens when people make successful withdrawals), it silently gets replaced with Tether. Everyone is still happy, because their Exchange still reports their full account balance and it "seems" to exist at least on paper. It doesn't though. Withdrawing large sums even with "legit fiat exchanges" like Coinbase is practically impossible, and real trading volume is actually becoming become more and more thin over time with fading interest and buyers with real USD to offer

now imagine another Twitter user is reporting on all the scams going on and the connection your Giant Exchange has to Giant Scam Token. Sue them, try to get them banned as well, have your angry investors (Ponzi suckers down 70%, who do not like "FUD" that can send them even lower and prevent the Mooning from happening) make death threats, etc.

That is where we are. They can still pump for FOMO, Fear of Missing Out, to lure new suckers in. But it is all drying up. Many companies are realizing that the blockchain hype is BS and that trustless, slow, inefficient, and immutable are like never desirable traits for databases. Companies are banning crypto advertising. Countries have been cracking down on it, etc. It seems that crypto is heading toward it's true value, which unfortunately is a positive number because the worst people (drug dealers, money launderers, pedophiles) certainly have a use for it.

Personally I think the nightmare scenario is that Wall Street, fearful of their own collapsing tech bubble, decide to get creative and make "AAA" investment vehicles for ICOs or some poo poo, just to get another bubble going. Turning junk debt into AAA rated securities has happened before as you may be aware. Crypto is so thinly traded that just a small amount of real money COULD in fact send it straight up again . This doesn't seem to be happening though, I think Bankers DO love their control over fiat and would do quite well in a recession right now anyway, since recessions hit the poor the hardest not the Capital class (who just buy up more poo poo at dirt-cheap prices).

Long post but there, that is how I view crypto.

Tell us how you really feel. Stop with your FUD nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

lazorexplosion posted:

I remember a recent survey where 22% of students had bought crypto with their student loans. Well, at least they're learning something now.

Everybody in their late 20s/early 30s knows somebody who couldn't afford textbooks because they lost their student loan money on pokerstars.com, so this isn't that surprising to me

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

There's also a disturbing amount of distrust in regular investments among 20-30 year olds so they're going to latch onto nonsense like butts

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Everybody in their late 20s/early 30s knows somebody who couldn't afford textbooks because they lost their student loan money on pokerstars.com, so this isn't that surprising to me

What I'm confused about is that these students have access to their student loan money. When I got loans as an undergrad, they went directly to the school.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Bobulus posted:

What I'm confused about is that these students have access to their student loan money. When I got loans as an undergrad, they went directly to the school.

Same here, but I guess that's not the case any more. I know of five or six people who in the last few years have taken out student loans and blown the money on stupid poo poo, then were still on the hook to pay it back.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bobulus posted:

It depends how much you take out. People often take out extra for living expenses.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
There should be rules and/or mechanisms in place to make sure student loans only go towards school costs and necessities like rent, groceries, or medicine, but I think we all can figure out why this is not the case.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Sashimi posted:

There should be rules and/or mechanisms in place to make sure student loans only go towards school costs and necessities like rent, speculative investing in ponzis, groceries, or medicine, but I think we all can figure out why this is not the case.

FTFY

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I wish the idea of student loans didn't even exist. or if they did, make them 0%. People (especially the poor) DO spend student loans on dumb poo poo, they don't normally have money but suddenly do have money, they are also straight out of High School with no financial experience, and even if that money is being put toward rent/groceries, you will be still be paying it off for possibly decades.

Subsidized student loans had 6.8% interest rate when I went to college. The government has no problem giving bankers access to near-free money, but "subsidized" Federal loans for students that literally follow you through life no matter what (even bankruptcy) are somehow twice the APR of a typical mortgage. That 6.8% APR ends up being like +40% total paid over 10 years and don't even think what the numbers look like if it takes you 20 years to pay off. It's absurd and predatory but :capitalism:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Alpha Mayo posted:

I wish the idea of student loans didn't even exist. or if they did, make them 0%. People (especially the poor) DO spend student loans on dumb poo poo, they don't normally have money but suddenly do have money, they are also straight out of High School with no financial experience, and even if that money is being put toward rent/groceries, you will be still be paying it off for possibly decades.

Subsidized student loans had 6.8% interest rate when I went to college. The government has no problem giving bankers access to near-free money, but "subsidized" Federal loans for students that literally follow you through life no matter what (even bankruptcy) are somehow twice the APR of a typical mortgage. That 6.8% APR ends up being like +40% total paid over 10 years and don't even think what the numbers look like if it takes you 20 years to pay off. It's absurd and predatory but :capitalism:

that's cause with a mortgage there's a house for the bank to take if you ghost on them

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
One of the guys I knew in college used student loan money to pay for all kinds of not school not living expenses like parties, a hot tub, a car etc. He ended up with doctor levels of student loan debt and no degree. Last I heard he had left the country, but I assume the debt still follows you anywhere.

I am still amazed he was ever able to borrow as much as he did. I have to assume a lot of it was to shady private lenders as the max for federal loans for undergrad was 50 or 60k at the time.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Remember a few years back when there were all of those weird animated online ads yapping about "Obama asks moms to return to school"? Those were the shady private lenders. It's an entire racket of an industry.

https://www.propublica.org/article/bogus-obama-mom-grants-lure-students

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alpha Mayo posted:

Why agitate for a better society when you can encode libertarian values into a planet-destroying computer virus and post memes all day?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Wulfolme posted:

that's cause with a mortgage there's a house for the bank to take if you ghost on them
i guess but you can't get rid of student loan debt unless you die

the only way to escape it is to leave the US and never return, and even then you might run into problems with banking/credit (not sure how much that stuff follows you)

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 31, 2018

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Uranium 235 posted:

i guess but you can't get rid of student loan debt unless you die

the only way to escape it is to leave the US and never return

I got out of my $120k loan by being diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic and living on disability. Which is less than min wage, because I was in school for so many years I didn't build up a work history.

At least the seven meds I'm on are cheap.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

GDPR is a regulation which aims to give users back control of there data. It also raises a few issues which are relevant to the blockchain.

The biggest of these is the right to be forgotten. Also known as data erasure, the GDPR website describes it as “data no longer being relevant to original purposes for processing, or data subjects withdrawing consent”. This means that EU citizens can file “right to be forgotten requests” and organizations must delete their data. This is a huge problem in blockchain applications.

https://www.eugdpr.org/key-changes.html

Right to be Forgotten
Also known as Data Erasure, the right to be forgotten entitles the data subject to have the data controller erase his/her personal data, cease further dissemination of the data, and potentially have third parties halt processing of the data. The conditions for erasure, as outlined in article 17, include the data no longer being relevant to original purposes for processing, or a data subjects withdrawing consent. It should also be noted that this right requires controllers to compare the subjects' rights to "the public interest in the availability of the data" when considering such requests.

Who is up for trolling blockchain apps?

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Risc1911 posted:

Who is up for trolling blockchain apps?

Sounds like all the good parts of the CP blockchain story plant without having to involve CP. Sounds win-win to me.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
You are starting to sound and act like those you mock. 🖇

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Sashimi posted:

There should be rules and/or mechanisms in place to make sure student loans only go towards school costs and necessities like rent, groceries, or medicine, but I think we all can figure out why this is not the case.

There already is. Federal financial aid can only be used to pay for educational expenses. How the process works is all of those funds goto the school first as they're the gatekeeper for the aid. By law all funds have to goto tuition and fees first. Beyond that students can elect to receive a refund of excess funds. Those excess funds come about because the cost of attendance for any given school is more than just tuition. It will also include calculations for books, rent, etc. Any expenses incurred to goto school basically. Stuff like gambling or buying drugs is explicitly illegal. This is why if you get charged with any drug crimes while receiving aid you become ineligible.

There isn't really a way to ensure the funds get used properly though. We could make people submit expense reports and all that but that seems too much of an invasion imo. Also the only money they could really gamble on is with loans so they're just loving themselves over.

Using all of your federal aid and not being able to pay tuition isn't a thing though. That sounds more like a private loan or scholarship.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Raldikuk posted:

There already is. Federal financial aid can only be used to pay for educational expenses. How the process works is all of those funds goto the school first as they're the gatekeeper for the aid. By law all funds have to goto tuition and fees first. Beyond that students can elect to receive a refund of excess funds. Those excess funds come about because the cost of attendance for any given school is more than just tuition. It will also include calculations for books, rent, etc. Any expenses incurred to goto school basically. Stuff like gambling or buying drugs is explicitly illegal. This is why if you get charged with any drug crimes while receiving aid you become ineligible.

There isn't really a way to ensure the funds get used properly though. We could make people submit expense reports and all that but that seems too much of an invasion imo. Also the only money they could really gamble on is with loans so they're just loving themselves over.

Using all of your federal aid and not being able to pay tuition isn't a thing though. That sounds more like a private loan or scholarship.

I’m in finaid too. Did you see the new proposal to issue debit cards, like banks, instead of paying the schools directly? It’s a thing that Devos and FSAs new COO are pushing. We decided to no bid it. I’ll look for the request for proposal

https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=f1a0e743e9c3283b1a3821f2fca20d93

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 31, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to remind you all of a delicious story waiting to happen even more than it already has:

Mine 4 Erf[world]

An etherium mining client to fund your favorite grognard webcomic with your spare processing power and electricity.

quote:

In the final week of 2017, an idea came up with the web team that made us all say, "That's not obviously dumb. Let's test it."
Price at Jan 01, when the project began: $750 to $850

-

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/58104/mine4erf-beta-test

Price at Feb 19, time of public announcement: $880 to $940

-

Price yesterday: $364

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

Still comes out as a cheap method of money laundering/avoiding finance regulations. There are also people who do not pay for their electricity (so consider it free, despite still costing the planet). There would be miners even if it cost $5000 electricity to mine $4000 worth.

For altcoins, it is more of a scale than a certain number. Some video cards are more efficient than others are mining. At various points, certain cards go from profitable to loss. Especially AMD cards since they are extremely inefficient.

You also got the true believers, who think that even though they are mining at a loss right now, in the future crypto will go to the moon and they are REALLY making $5000/day.

imagine if a small group of people owned the largest stock exchange, with no oversight of the platform or coding to make sure it is fair, because there are no regulations

now imagine this group of people start printing "Tether" out of thin air

now imagine you make up a lie about being "hacked" and losing the fiat, and replacing them with IOUs instead - Tether

now imagine that to trade on this exchange, you must deposit in your USD. In exchange for your USD, you receive 1 Tether at 1:1 ratio

now imagine you make an account on your own exchange, print out a ton of Tether, give it to your own account, and start buying Butts with it to drive up the price (and interest in Butts). There is no regulation that says you can't trade on your own exchange.

now imagine interest explodes from the amazing ever-rising Bitcoin, and you had 70% of all market trading volume trading your Tether. Even other exchanges are using your Tether.

now imagine you realize you can automate this process, and since you can have bots on your exchange doing this, you can control the price entirely. You know when the number is going to go up, because you make the number go up (by buying with Tether). You know when it will go down, because you can make it go down (by flooding with the Bitcoins you bought). You can make it stay 'even' with 'high volume' by having bots make wash trades constantly, which also hides true volume

now imagine you collude with some of the other large exchanges and have bots on their platforms as well.

now imagine you take ownership of the Bitcoin social networks by funding large astroturfing campaigns, such as on /r/Bitcoin, /r/CryptoCurrency, and BitcoinTalk. Turn it all into Russian memes about HODLing and Buying Dips to minimize the amount of people who will get scared and withdraw when they start losing money to your scam, anyone with concerns get downvoted by bots (and fearful suckers) to 0

now imagine people are catching on to your scam, with a popular user on Twitter announcing every time you print Tether, and suddenly the public realizes that 2.2 BILLION had been printed, with absolutely no proof any of this is backed by anything more than libertarian hopes and dreams. This user (TetherPrinter), is now banned on Twitter because Twitter is a dumb libertarian nazi platform, whose CEO supports Bitcoin.

now imagine because of your scam being revealed and having eyes on you, you have to halt printing. How do you stop the price from collapsing now? By colluding with the other exchanges and instead of printing new Tether to prop the price up, you just circulate the existing Tether by having those Exchanges take money out of their 'Tether cold wallet' and funding them back into trading bots. As long as there isn't a run on Tether (and there won't be, no one has any desire to withdraw and hold Tether because it can only possibly lose value), that Tether doesn't actually have to be held in cold storage, it can be used for pumping and propping. You now effectively have Fractional Reserve Banking for crypto (the joke being the "USD Reserve" is also Fictional, thus Fictional Reserve Banking).

now imagine you are a colluding exchange that allows large margin positions up to 100x, and can wait for suckers making big bets, and then move the price to the point where you can liquidate their position, sucking even more real money out from investors

now imagine as real money leaves the system (which only happens when people make successful withdrawals), it silently gets replaced with Tether. Everyone is still happy, because their Exchange still reports their full account balance and it "seems" to exist at least on paper. It doesn't though. Withdrawing large sums even with "legit fiat exchanges" like Coinbase is practically impossible, and real trading volume is actually becoming become more and more thin over time with fading interest and buyers with real USD to offer

now imagine another Twitter user is reporting on all the scams going on and the connection your Giant Exchange has to Giant Scam Token. Sue them, try to get them banned as well, have your angry investors (Ponzi suckers down 70%, who do not like "FUD" that can send them even lower and prevent the Mooning from happening) make death threats, etc.

That is where we are. They can still pump for FOMO, Fear of Missing Out, to lure new suckers in. But it is all drying up. Many companies are realizing that the blockchain hype is BS and that trustless, slow, inefficient, and immutable are like never desirable traits for databases. Companies are banning crypto advertising. Countries have been cracking down on it, etc. It seems that crypto is heading toward it's true value, which unfortunately is a positive number because the worst people (drug dealers, money launderers, pedophiles) certainly have a use for it.

Personally I think the nightmare scenario is that Wall Street, fearful of their own collapsing tech bubble, decide to get creative and make "AAA" investment vehicles for ICOs or some poo poo, just to get another bubble going. Turning junk debt into AAA rated securities has happened before as you may be aware. Crypto is so thinly traded that just a small amount of real money COULD in fact send it straight up again . This doesn't seem to be happening though, I think Bankers DO love their control over fiat and would do quite well in a recession right now anyway, since recessions hit the poor the hardest not the Capital class (who just buy up more poo poo at dirt-cheap prices).

Long post but there, that is how I view crypto.
yes, but have you considered that number go up

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

also the cost of the principal of the student loan has been skyrocketing to extract more economic rents

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Baby Boomers, Student Loans and the Millenials : How a generation and generaltional debt cucked Americas Future.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Wulfolme posted:

I would like to remind you all of a delicious story waiting to happen even more than it already has:

Mine 4 Erf[world]

An etherium mining client to fund your favorite grognard webcomic with your spare processing power and electricity.

Price at Jan 01, when the project began: $750 to $850

-

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/58104/mine4erf-beta-test

Price at Feb 19, time of public announcement: $880 to $940

-

Price yesterday: $364

I saw that but it's at least completely voluntary and they didn't like, embed miners in their website or anything. So it's really just taking advantage of dumb fans who'd rather waste electricity than donate directly.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I saw that but it's at least completely voluntary and they didn't like, embed miners in their website or anything. So it's really just taking advantage of dumb fans who'd rather waste electricity than donate directly.

that is true,

but the writer has already had one extremely online meltdown about people trashing the crypto mining idea

and another one is ripening

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Russian citizens are expected to pay 13 percent tax on their crypto-related incomes. Amendments to the tax code are currently being prepared. The exact rates should be confirmed by the end of the year. However, lawyers have warned that even now citizens risk criminal prosecution if they fail to report gains from dealings with cryptocurrencies.

Thailand authorities cite the prevention of money laundering, tax evasion, and aiding in criminal activities as the reasons for the introduction of these cryptocurrency taxes. Crypto investors will be liable to pay a 7% value added tax (VAT) on all of their cryptocurrency trades as well as a 15% capital gains tax on their returns.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjHbdfANNi0

The reason the crypto scammers are in Puerto Rico is the corrupt Government not to help people. There are no taxes on crypto, not regulations and most importantly, easy to bribe government.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I went to look at some RAM yesterday and prices were loving ridiculous. The guy at the store blamed a factory explosion but I want to blame it on bitcoin somehow.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

http://www.wowhead.com/news=283182/world-of-warcraft-8-0-41-patch-notes-fun-micro-holidays-dance-battle

https://tumblcoin.tumblr.com/post/172469027935/introducing-tumblcoin-tumblr-is-reportedly-proud

This is good for crypto.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 1, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CORSAIR/status/979730340808769536

Wont someone think of the graphics cards!?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/Araxnus/status/979731972887998464

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

now that crypto has reached literal april fools material its sure to go up Up UP!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

"Oh the irony!"

Does this person think this is a real charity?

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Thread title relevancy.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

New 30 day low.
3 month low is $6k. Almost there too.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

How come there hasn't been a huge rally? Does the tether printer need a new ink cartridge?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Risc1911 posted:

New 30 day low.
3 month low is $6k. Almost there too.

weak hands leaving the market, this is good for Bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
How can tax authorities collect if transactions are anonymous? Are the exchanges reporting trades?