Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Just be careful or you'll end up using it on almost all of your songs, like I do.

This is a problem?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyooooorrrrmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyuuuuuoooorrrrmmmmmnnnngggggggg....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD
Jan 11, 2003
So this guitar has been "abandoned" at my store for like 6 months. We've sent out a Cert letter and if it comes back we'll buy it in for $0.01. My DM said I could buy it for about $80 after that! F yeah. Apparently the t60 was the first CNC built guitar. Not sure how I feel about that but I love the look, tone and neck. The frets are nubs but I haven't found any bad spots so I'm pretty excited! Sorry for instagrams

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Great guitars. Just heavy and are nothing but a slab.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Just picked up a mid 70s Fender Vibro Champ today, sounds really cool and way louder than I would have figured it would be. Also demon cat in the background.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oooh, is that a Nashville? How's it play?

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Oooh, is that a Nashville? How's it play?

The Tele? Nah it's one of those Chinese players specials or whatever, but it plays like a champion and has become about the only guitar I play anymore. I need to put a different pickup in the bridge, Fender just cannot make a humbucker it seems.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Jiimy posted:

Fender just cannot make a humbucker it seems.

It completely changed my Strat into something interesting to play when I started switching out components.
SD Pearly Gates, GFS noiseless vintage mid, GFS noiseless hot vintage neck, and a way fatter steel tremolo block was some of the best money I spent on it.

I used to hate the tones it would produce out of the box, but fell back in love with playing guitar again after those upgrades. :)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
A family friend has recently turned to building acoustic guitars and I am going to buy one. He was a wood worker for many years and has recently studied under John Grevin and they remain friends. I am not entirely sure what I want him to build but I am sure it is going to be beautiful. So far I am thinking Guatemalan rosewood with sitka top, rosewood bridge, ebony fingerboard, D-28ish.

Here are some pictures of his previous creations.

Koa back and sides, Sitka top. Dreadnaught style.

OM style, Brazilian rosewood b+s.

Another Koa.

And I think this was the first guitar he built, African Mahogany and Lutz.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Finally got myself a Strat. I initially came home with an all white american standard. It was beautiful but I ended up taking it back and upgraded to the deluxe. Still getting used to playing a strat but man it's lovely. I really wanted the olympic pearl but I would have had to wait until May so I took home the tungsten. The N3 pickups are really nice too, even though quite a few people complain about them.

Quick phone photos and imgur rotated them but hey you get the point.

Coming in the mail is an MXR carbon copy. And then hopefully a Maxon OD808 or the TS9 30th anniversary pedal. 2013 is going good for me so far.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, here it is. Finally took a picture of the Canvas after I got the new pickups and electronics in it. Also took a picture of the '83 Ovation Ultra Deluxe. Yes, there's a trio of nasty finish cracks on the Ovation, someone whacked it good once. But it's stable and undamaged and also only cost $150ish. And it sounds good and plays better, so I'm not complaining.

Again, we're talking Burns Tri-Sonic copies for the red guitar. GFS, 6.5k neck, reverse wound, reverse phase 7.5k in the middle. And a Bigmouth bridge at 9.5k. The combinations are fairly interesting, I wired the bridge so it doesn't coil split. I dig the aesthetics the pickups give it, so I added witch-hats to the pots to match. But the sound is... I'd call it unique, but it's not quite. It begs to play AC/DC as much as it wants to play Queen, and it doesn't mind going harder if I ask. It cleans up nicely, but it really prefers to just push things. Generally speaking, I call the experiment a success.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 23, 2013

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jiimy posted:

Just picked up a mid 70s Fender Vibro Champ today, sounds really cool and way louder than I would have figured it would be. Also demon cat in the background.

Silverface champs are really hit and miss. I've heard ones that sound like butt, and others that are gems. I'm assuming you picked a good one. You should post a soundcloud or youtube demo of it, i'd love to hear it. What guitar/effects are you using with it?

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Silverface champs are really hit and miss. I've heard ones that sound like butt, and others that are gems. I'm assuming you picked a good one. You should post a soundcloud or youtube demo of it, i'd love to hear it. What guitar/effects are you using with it?

This one sounds pretty good, I will try to record it sometime but I am not really much of a guitar player. I am just running a Chinese Telecaster, a BOSS DS-1, Phase 90 and a Carbon Copy into it. Guitar is prolly the instrument I play the least but that may have been because I haven't had an amp until now,

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The Postman left a nice surprise for me today at work! It's a pair of Cascade BE Fatheads. BE means they don't come with shockmounts and fancy cases. I'm about to go test these out on my pedal steel through my fender princeton. So pumped.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPCLT-LIST

Gibson USA Les Paul Custom Lite

If this thing drops in Pelham or Inverness then I will be further in debt to AMS.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPCLT-LIST

Gibson USA Les Paul Custom Lite

If this thing drops in Pelham or Inverness then I will be further in debt to AMS.

Did you already order it? 'Cause I have that in my shop for less. :)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Nah. I'm a few months away from buying any new gear. Do you guys have a web presence?

What do you think of it? Closer to an SG than Gibson lets on?

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

If they sounded like butt it's probably because it's in need of servicing. Small Silverface Fender combos have the same insides as their Blackface counterparts. If they're in good shape then they're awesome for recording.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Sold a buttload of stuff on eBay the past couple weeks, and surprisingly have spent every last cent of my earnings.

I got this:

So I could control this:

Then I learned that my 1600x900 monitor was too low-rez to display the whole WaveLab UI, so I had to get this:

In that screenshot you can see the reason I'm composing this post- I'm killing time while my computer is backing up my entire samples/content library to this:

Which I am about to install in my PC so I have enough room for this:

And once that's installed I'll finally have a chance to play around on this:

The keys feel great, but no idea yet how the velocity responsiveness or the pb/mod controls are yet.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Nah. I'm a few months away from buying any new gear. Do you guys have a web presence?

What do you think of it? Closer to an SG than Gibson lets on?

I'm a manager at Sam Ash Music, I can do deals via PM/email better than any site, like RivensBitch used to do when he worked for GC.

I dig it, it's part Gibson, part ESP.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Excellent. I'll keep that in mind.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Got my new amp last week and I'm getting a cab tomorrow so I can finally use it.

Soldano SP-77 Pre-amp
TC Electronic G-Major 2
Marshall 9100 Power-amp

Marshall 1936 stereo cab w/2x12 Celestion G12T75 speakers

EndoplasmicReticle
Nov 10, 2012
Decided to grab the Monotron Delay to see how fun it was, turns out, it's a heap of fun. Also works as a delay unit if you plug in an external source but unfortunately there's no DC power, just batteries, so I'm thinking of maybe hacking it a bit to see if I can get a constant power supply to it (since it's only 3V anyway). Really fun to play with when bored and fits in your pocket too.

Grabbed the Maschine Mikro since it was on sale, and my budget at the moment excludes me from getting the fully fledged main unit, but my first day in Maschine and I LOVE it. Only thing I've had trouble with is midi mapping for other controllers (like my nanoKontrol). Given that, it's a perfect addition to my current setup and I'm currently learning how to sync traktor 2 and Maschine at the same time, as my best friend and I want to start trying play a sort of live act (like modeselektor)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EndoplasmicReticle posted:

Decided to grab the Monotron Delay to see how fun it was, turns out, it's a heap of fun. Also works as a delay unit if you plug in an external source but unfortunately there's no DC power, just batteries, so I'm thinking of maybe hacking it a bit to see if I can get a constant power supply to it (since it's only 3V anyway). Really fun to play with when bored and fits in your pocket too.

Grabbed the Maschine Mikro since it was on sale, and my budget at the moment excludes me from getting the fully fledged main unit, but my first day in Maschine and I LOVE it. Only thing I've had trouble with is midi mapping for other controllers (like my nanoKontrol). Given that, it's a perfect addition to my current setup and I'm currently learning how to sync traktor 2 and Maschine at the same time, as my best friend and I want to start trying play a sort of live act (like modeselektor)

I just helped a friend do the resonance knob mod on his Monotron Delay, and strongly recommend doing so. There is one _slightly_ tricky solder pad to hit, on a surface mount device, but is not difficult at all, and really turns it into a crazy noise maker. They speced a 10k linear pot in the page we were looking at, but we used a 100k out of my junkbox and it worked great.

Current pending: UMC32+ (he just restocked) and 25 momentary footswitches. Ableton pedalboard time! The gentle wife requested I hold on the APC20 until next check - fair enough.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

Got my new amp last week and I'm getting a cab tomorrow so I can finally use it.

Soldano SP-77 Pre-amp
TC Electronic G-Major 2
Marshall 9100 Power-amp

Marshall 1936 stereo cab w/2x12 Celestion G12T75 speakers
O yes Holy poo poo, that was like my dream rig from 1991 (well, the Soldano and the Marshall power amp). Is it awesome as I remember? drat that's a cool setup from back in the day!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
edit: dumb

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 23, 2013

EndoplasmicReticle
Nov 10, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I just helped a friend do the resonance knob mod on his Monotron Delay, and strongly recommend doing so. There is one _slightly_ tricky solder pad to hit, on a surface mount device, but is not difficult at all, and really turns it into a crazy noise maker. They speced a 10k linear pot in the page we were looking at, but we used a 100k out of my junkbox and it worked great.

Current pending: UMC32+ (he just restocked) and 25 momentary footswitches. Ableton pedalboard time! The gentle wife requested I hold on the APC20 until next check - fair enough.

Is it actual surface mount soldering, or just one tricky spot? I have it hooked up to my Korg mini kp 1 so I can get quite an awesome sound from it, except a reso knob sounds like a fantastic idea. Do you have a link to a guide or schematic that you used?

For content:

Coming in Under a week, It may only be 2 I/O but being a producer I do most of my work digitally, and I'm aiming on getting another studio mixer (Have a Behringer Xenyx 802 to route all my inputs to multiple speaker outputs) just for recording inputs (of which I have not many at the moment), and that will easily route to the Mbox to record straight into protools anyway, and my work ethic is pretty much 'one track at a time' anyway. But I'll be glad to finally have ASIO4ALL to stop bitching at me!!

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

This is my newest toy. I like it quite a lot.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EndoplasmicReticle posted:

Is it actual surface mount soldering, or just one tricky spot? I have it hooked up to my Korg mini kp 1 so I can get quite an awesome sound from it, except a reso knob sounds like a fantastic idea. Do you have a link to a guide or schematic that you used?

Sure do.

Good pictures here.

http://picsynth.000space.com/monotron/monores.html

Latest purchase/creation: Oak body, birch top, *not* a guitar!

Then it got dark and I had to quit for the night. Tomorrow I hog out the holes to the proper size and stain, then the switches and brain will be here on Monday. I'll have it done by midweek, probably. Still need to buy a cheap volume pedal for an expression hanging off the side.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I ordered a JEM70V (SFG) and a DiMarzio Crunch Lab to put in the bridge position (with a push/pull pot for series/parallel wiring). It should ship today sometime. I read all kinds of problems with quality control, so I hope this one is perfect. I'm not willing to pay for repairs or fretwork on a $1400 guitar. I'll let you all know how it measures up when it gets here. If I keep it, I'll post pics once the electronics mods are complete. If I don't keep it, I'm just sending it back for another one.

Don't let me down, Indonesian Premium JEM luthiers!

She'll be the little sister to my original baby, this 1988 JEM77FP:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The profit margin on that must be phenomenal. The Cort factory in Korea would've turned that out for maybe $600 tops.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
I just picked up this guitar yesterday from a buddy of mine and I was wondering if y'all had any info on the fucker:

The company is Espana and it was made in the U.K. I think it has gold foil pickups and I am assuming its from the 1960's. The controls are a little hosed up but it sounds really cool.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That looks like an Espana EL-31. Espana was a company name slapped on a bunch of different guitars made for Hagstrom by a number of companies like Bjarton, Landola, Crucianelli, and Vox.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Which are all basically Burns copies?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

DiscoDickTease posted:

I just picked up this guitar yesterday from a buddy of mine and I was wondering if y'all had any info on the fucker:

My info is that is cool as hell

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
I paid 40 bucks for it! It sometimes sounds like early Malcolm Young bu the electrics need work. Only the bridge seems to be functioning as the pickup selector knob is dumb. If I pick the neck pickup I have to turn the tone all the way off to get sound :butt:.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My JEM70V arrived today. I only had 45 minutes to unbox, inspect, and photograph it before I left for work, so this is a bit hasty.
My two biggest Quality Control fears were fretwork (is it level?) and whether the neck would be straight out of the pocket, with the strings equidistant from the edges.
On first glance I did see that the input jack area and the neck screw holes weren't polished as reported on most of these instruments, but I don't really care about that. The neck is straight out of the pocket, and from the factory the action is pretty good. I couldn't find any dead spots or high/low frets (so far). That's pretty close to a "keeper" for me, but I have a few more things to look at tonight after work before I make the call to keep it or try my luck on an exchange.

I do see what appears to be either a fairly deep scratch on the side of the neck behind the locking nut or maybe a seam, but I need to look at it up close and in person to decide how I feel about it. I imagine it is a scratch in the clear-coat and can be mostly or totally polished away.

The rest of the instrument feels and looks fantastic. Here are the pics I took before I had to leave for work. I'll come back (if I keep it) and post the pics once I install the Crunch Lab and push-pull pot.

This counts towards the pointy guitar club, right?

(also, this is my first time using IMGUR, I hope I linked everything correctly. Please advise if I should have linked them differently.)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That would be a really dumb place for a butt joint. Is there a similar line on the other side of the neck?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm stuck at work. I'll look at it when I get home. All of my Ibanezes have tilt-back headstocks with the same joinery (this is one of two that I have that have volutes at the nut) so I figure it's a scratch.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that's a horrible place for a joint. Very nice, not my thing, very nice. I wish you and it or its successor may happy hours. And yes, it's got the word Ibanez on it, and it's pointy. Clearly a member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not a joint, it's from the clearcoat ending and turning into oil or satin, I forget what they do on these.