Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

dissss posted:

Not just the equivalent - its the exact same car (with some spec differences like smaller DI engines in some models, CVT transmissions in others)

I love trolling the ricer/Honda fanboys I have on my Facebook now that I have a G35. I'll post something along the lines of "Working on the Skyline!" and let the descent into madness begin.

http://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/4280688949.html

Selling a 1989 Mustang GT Cobra. Without anything that actually makes it a Cobra. Also don't bullshit him.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The R32 GT-R is worth importing, you'd really have to justify GTS4 or GTS-T. Also, everybody is aware that the vast majority of R32/R33/R34 Skylines are not GT-Rs?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Devyl posted:

I love trolling the ricer/Honda fanboys I have on my Facebook now that I have a G35. I'll post something along the lines of "Working on the Skyline!" and let the descent into madness begin.

http://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/4280688949.html

Selling a 1989 Mustang GT Cobra. Without anything that actually makes it a Cobra. Also don't bullshit him.

"the car has absolutely no body" and also doesn't have a drivetrain... :confused:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

"the car has absolutely no body" and also doesn't have a drivetrain... :confused:

I imagine he means "body damage", although the primer grey fenders don't do much to inspire confidence in that claim.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

TRUGGY

http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/cto/4294068323.html

Also Sharon Stone's Jaguar

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4289114567.html

Quantrill fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 20, 2014

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

But is was really Sharron Stone.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

It appears to be some kind of automatic with 2 sticks and a clutch pedal? Someone mind explaining how all that works?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Budget Monty posted:

It appears to be some kind of automatic with 2 sticks and a clutch pedal? Someone mind explaining how all that works?

wiki posted:

The "Twin stick" was a three-speed manual transmission, operated by one of the two console mounted "sticks" with manual overdrive available in 2nd and 3rd gears giving the driver five forward gears. The overdrive selection was made by the second console mounted "stick."

So it's like a little babby truck transmission. :3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Budget Monty posted:

It's a three speed manual with an overdrive lever. Basically gives you five gears.

1...2...2+OD...3...3+OD.

Lots of other cars have done something similar, but generally use an electrically actuated OD.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Great now I want one. I should just put a 2 speed rear in my miata for 10 gears. My little ten speed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elephanthead posted:

Great now I want one. I should just put a 2 speed rear in my miata for 10 gears. My little ten speed.

http://www.gearvendors.com

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fucknag posted:

So it's like a little babby truck transmission. :3:

Mitsubishi used to have a 4 speed manual in the early 80s with a two speed diff in it. There would be a lever next to the gear shift which would give you power or economy modes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I had a bike (well, it was my dads but I did my first solo ride on it) that had a 5 speed with hi-lo range setup. 1982 CB900 Custom.

Was cats rear end.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

You Am I posted:

Mitsubishi used to have a 4 speed manual in the early 80s with a two speed diff in it. There would be a lever next to the gear shift which would give you power or economy modes.

I had a twin stick plymouth champ, '81 i i think but not sure. Bought it from an old guy and used to run the balls off that little car. It was a four speed with high/low shifter. We used to amateur rally it through the woods because the low range made it practically unstoppable.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

kastein posted:

It has become a cult thing and no amount of logic or reason will keep nutbars from importing beat to poo poo skylines for way too much money and thinking they are cool as hell until their car gets confiscated and crushed by the feds.

Living in NZ, I think that it is legally required for one to have driven a GTR Skyline by the time they're old enough to walk. It's somewhat hilarious to see the obsessiveness (and the proclaimations of 'truly amazing driving dynamics' for something as low as a GTS model) on the internet for a car that costs about $15,000 here and is as rousing to drive as an average family sedan.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

slidebite posted:

I had a bike (well, it was my dads but I did my first solo ride on it) that had a 5 speed with hi-lo range setup. 1982 CB900 Custom.

Was cats rear end.

Honda Trail 90s-110s had that.

Spades posted:

Living in NZ, I think that it is legally required for one to have driven a GTR Skyline by the time they're old enough to walk. It's somewhat hilarious to see the obsessiveness (and the proclaimations of 'truly amazing driving dynamics' for something as low as a GTS model) on the internet for a car that costs about $15,000 here and is as rousing to drive as an average family sedan.

They look completely badass. That's all it takes, really.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 21, 2014

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Don't get too excited about this one. We have a '93 S4 at the shop right now and it is a basket of poo poo. looks good from 15' away, but I would probably not bring that burden of crap into my life even if it was $500.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4287422928.html

Depending on what "messed up" means, this could be a good deal. I'm pretty sure a new-used engine (if it came to that and that's all it needs) would be less than the difference between this and the typical MR2 Spyder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a good deal, I'd sell the lovely wheels and buy a new motor.

Not sure what "oil pan is messed up" means though, assuming the motor is toast, but it could be something simple if you're lucky.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

That's a good deal, I'd sell the lovely wheels and buy a new motor.

Not sure what "oil pan is messed up" means though, assuming the motor is toast, but it could be something simple if you're lucky.

Doesn't this just have a run of the mill Toyota engine that you can easily junkyard source? This was on my miata search list but hard to find them for under 3k unlike miatas.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

Reading between the lines, I'm assuming he ran over a curb or something that caused damage to the previous rims and bottomed it out taking some of the engine with it. But hey, it has new rims and only needs an oil pan now, right?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Doesn't this just have a run of the mill Toyota engine that you can easily junkyard source? This was on my miata search list but hard to find them for under 3k unlike miatas.

Yeah, it's the 1ZZ. The 180 bhp 2ZZ from the Celica GTS (and Elise) bolts right in; if I was buying this car I'd do that. It's a popular swap and gives you 9/10ths of an Elise for 10k or less.

I saw this car on my feed and was tempted to bite but I don't have space or time for a swap anytime soon.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
holy poo poo

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I love that car but could never part with $4200 for it. It's probably worth it, but I'm a cheap rear end.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Lincoln is baller as gently caress.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I am trying to convince my co-workers to buy it. No success yet, I'll keep trying. I'm even offering to drive it back from Napa for them.

Edit: vvvvv balls, I kind of skimmed past that part as I looked at the pictures :v:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 21, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's been in storage for 30 years, you're not driving it anywhere until you replace everything made of rubber in the car.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

Yeah, it's the 1ZZ. The 180 bhp 2ZZ from the Celica GTS (and Elise) bolts right in; if I was buying this car I'd do that. It's a popular swap and gives you 9/10ths of an Elise for 10k or less.

I saw this car on my feed and was tempted to bite but I don't have space or time for a swap anytime soon.

Yup, the 2zz swap is super easy now. Twos-R-Us sells pretty much everything you need . Don't even need to put the 2 harnesses together, just run the adapter at the ecu.

I have been itching to buy another mr2 for a while, and I think I have decided on picking up a spyder instead of a aw11. Finally there are a couple local ones that are sanely priced(~$5k), instead of the normal almost $10k for a 2000 with high miles.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Yup, the 2zz swap is super easy now. Twos-R-Us sells pretty much everything you need . Don't even need to put the 2 harnesses together, just run the adapter at the ecu.

I have been itching to buy another mr2 for a while, and I think I have decided on picking up a spyder instead of a aw11. Finally there are a couple local ones that are sanely priced(~$5k), instead of the normal almost $10k for a 2000 with high miles.

Where are you shopping? Everything I've seen has been high lately. I keep waffling on Miata vs Spyder, even though I prefer driving the Spyder - it's just hard to justify the extra expense over a NB, especially for something harder to resell due to the lack of trunk (I'm also hesitant to buy long distance without getting to inspect the precats).

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

A week or so ago I responded to a post here about a '72 VW bug someone had up for sale in Fairbanks. Turns out the seller was the guy who bought my Nash, and he has now listed it for sale along with a number of other cool classics.

Poor Nash. Never gonna find a home. :(

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Budget Monty posted:

Twin stick chat reminded me of this video:
Twin Stick Pappy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mf6AUbjT-s&t=30s

It's mindboggling to watch this guy.

EDIT: Triplex shifting pattern:

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 22, 2014

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

nitrogen posted:

It should have reminded you of this one first.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

Where are you shopping? Everything I've seen has been high lately. I keep waffling on Miata vs Spyder, even though I prefer driving the Spyder - it's just hard to justify the extra expense over a NB, especially for something harder to resell due to the lack of trunk (I'm also hesitant to buy long distance without getting to inspect the precats).

They're getting cheaper here, but there's the whole pre-cat issue thing that I'm not too familiar with but I know it's not good if it hasn't been taken care of. If I found one cheap with a bad motor I'd jump on it and do the swap, but for a running car it still seems like too much of a risk over a Miata for the cost.

Why do you prefer the Spyder over a Miata?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

nitrogen posted:

Twin Stick Pappy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mf6AUbjT-s&t=30s

It's mindboggling to watch this guy.

EDIT: Triplex shifting pattern:

I'm confused as to when he needs to use the clutch, because I can see no consistent pattern...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

televiper posted:

I'm confused as to when he needs to use the clutch, because I can see no consistent pattern...

When I drove a big old truck, you only used the clutch when starting from a stop. Otherwise, run up the RPMs and you can finesse it up to the next gear. When downshifting, you gave it a quick burst of throttle and popped it out of gear, then down into the next one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quitter. This didn't stop Sock.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That needs a Durex logo in the corner.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
It's not like that car is worth anything to anyone but him. He should just keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Quitter. This didn't stop Sock.

My son has ridden in my Miata since he was 4 yrs old. I just disconnected the air bag, put the child seat in and off we went. He's in a booster seat now, he loves that car and would probably hate me forever if I ever sold it.

As long as we have a family car also, having a two seater is not a problem.