Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
for the secret santee.

the bucket and the beast.

the pits DDs. the drz crossdresses as a supermoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nodoze posted:

How did you like the book I got you last year? I meant to ask and kept forgetting

It owns, although I admit I'm easy to please.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's really hard to take a bad picture of this thing outside of direct sunlight. The paint is decent but isn't actually as nice as it comes out in pictures. It's like the neil patrick harris of cars.

The 70s ABS is loving hilarious, it only hits every 3-4 seconds, so its' like schhhhhhwomp schhhhhhhhwomp.

The car also gets stuck on ice on flat ground with those tires. It's amazing how many survivied winter as they have.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Aw man where do you live that there's snow already? I live in buffalo and we don't got poo poo. If I have to drive my winter beater there better be some drat snow on the ground.

Also that car is awesome.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Not a Canadian goon, but I also haven't posted my most recent automotive purchase, a glorious 1994 Nissan AD Resort (Y10), my first "not sold in the USA" car:

For those who don't know, this is basically what Nissan thought what a light duty commercial van looked like for some 20 odd years. A good car for what it is, though it feels bigger than it is (my previous car was a 2006 Honda Civic coupe, and somehow this wagon is smaller in every dimension except height). Unfortunately they never sold the "hot" version here, so this is pretty much the most powerful version I can get. Not my DD, though, just a grocery getter and errand runner. My DD is this, a 2004 Yamaha SR-150:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

Not a Canadian goon, but I also haven't posted my most recent automotive purchase, a glorious 1994 Nissan AD Resort (Y10), my first "not sold in the USA" car:

For those who don't know, this is basically what Nissan thought what a light duty commercial van looked like for some 20 odd years. A good car for what it is, though it feels bigger than it is (my previous car was a 2006 Honda Civic coupe, and somehow this wagon is smaller in every dimension except height). Unfortunately they never sold the "hot" version here, so this is pretty much the most powerful version I can get. Not my DD, though, just a grocery getter and errand runner.

Whoa this thing is interesting as hell. What engine is it?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Whoa this thing is interesting as hell. What engine is it?

It is a 1.6 GA16 of some flavor (GA16DE if Wikipedia is to be believed). I'll have to pop the hood and double check the engine codes. Though it's likely the "de-tuned" Euro-spec engine, which makes only about 102 HP. It's not a hot wagon, but cleaner examples than mine do look nice.

Apparently the Japanese market Wingroad could be had with a SR20DE, but engine swaps aren't that easy to do here (legally speaking).

But I'm happy to have it. I always wanted to own a wagon at some point in my life and finally got to do it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SlimManFat posted:

^Now this thing has been a bit of a "when the gently caress are you going to do it?" project. Not sure if I want to finish it, or wait it out and get an ST185. But either way, I've got this bastard below here ready to roll for either car

Isn't what you posted a ST185? :confused: Maybe I don't know my celicas.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Larrymer posted:

Cursory glance, ST180 is the generation, ST185 refers specifically to a Celica GT-Four/ 4WD Celica. It's likely his is only a FWD Celica.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Larrymer posted:

It's a FWD Celica GT, chassis code ST184. What's probably throwing you off is the hood. It's a ST185 GT-Four hood.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SlimManFat posted:

It's a FWD Celica GT, chassis code ST184. What's probably throwing you off is the hood. It's a ST185 GT-Four hood.

But not a Carlos Sainz/RC hood because it doesn't have the downdraft hole for the turbo "cooling stack."

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Yeah the Carlos hood is a freaky deaky looking piece

Carlos Sainz RC on the left, and a regular GT-Four/All-Trac on the right.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

SlimManFat posted:

Yeah the Carlos hood is a freaky deaky looking piece

Carlos Sainz RC on the left, and a regular GT-Four/All-Trac on the right.

god those are sweet cars, was a better time back then

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Nice, I had a 16% on mine and it was awesome. Enjoy the extra boost and sound :rice:

The sad thing is after that work I'm thinking about selling it since my kids complain about the back seat because damnit, they grew! Sometimes kids can be assholes..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Everything's relative. For most of the first decade of my life, my old man had a '74 911. When he sold it and bought a '94 Camaro Z28, it felt like the roomiest thing in the world.

Of course I kept on growing and maybe three years later that back seat felt as cramped as it actually is :v:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Un/fortunately however you want to look at it, my son who will be 10 in a few months still wears size 7 pants/shirts. Pretty small guy, but that's just how we are until our 20's when we keep growing until 25 and eventually get to 5'11"+. So we got some Mini fun for a few years while waiting on those slow growth spurts.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Just bought this. 2000 4Runner, 218k miles, 4x4 for $3000

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Q_res posted:

Just bought this. 2000 4Runner, 218k miles, 4x4 for $3000

Is that a Limied with the rear locker? Either way nice.

And sweet Kimber :)

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
You can find 15-25 year old 4runners pretty cheap around here, well into the lower half of 4 figures asking for one that runs, looks clean, and has a clean title. I've always been curious if they are such a pain to fix that people just don't bother?

I have a 2010 CX7 for carting my dogs (and anything else that won't fit in the vette), but when I was in the midst of my divorce and the ownership of the cars was in question, I considered just finding a cheap 4runner on craigslist and seeing if I could get a couple of years outa the thing.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

I've always been curious if they are such a pain to fix that people just don't bother?

The rear upper shock mounts are annoying but besides that its fine v:shobon:v

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Motronic posted:

Is that a Limied with the rear locker? Either way nice.

And sweet Kimber :)

SR5 with the "Highlander"/Sport package.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Did someone say bro-runner?

97 4x4 Limited SC'd

crutt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 5, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Man, I don't like trucks very much, but I would really like an older 4runner. The Sr5 trucks (outside the trans cooler issue) are functionally immortal correct?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Visited my parents for Thanksgiving, and got to say hi again:

She took some... persuasion to fire up, but otherwise is still running extremely well.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

PaintVagrant posted:

Man, I don't like trucks very much, but I would really like an older 4runner. The Sr5 trucks (outside the trans cooler issue) are functionally immortal correct?

Trans cooler, lower ball joints and rear axle seals. Otherwise yes.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Sorry, more vette posting :(

Still learning to use the new camera + adobe lightroom.

Adobe lightroom is the bee's knees. As are 50mm lenses with short apertures.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

keykey posted:

The sad thing is after that work I'm thinking about selling it since my kids complain about the back seat because damnit, they grew! Sometimes kids can be assholes..

I had full size adults in the back seat of mine, tell him to stop complaining :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SlimManFat posted:

^Now this thing has been a bit of a "when the gently caress are you going to do it?" project. Not sure if I want to finish it, or wait it out and get an ST185. But either way, I've got this bastard below here ready to roll for either car

Is that a std CT series turbo on that ebay manifold?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

crutt posted:

Trans cooler, lower ball joints and rear axle seals. Otherwise yes.

Yep, pretty much.

My beast:

2000 Limited. Purchased @155k for 4800$. Rust-free from Florida.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Linux Nazi posted:

Sorry, more vette posting :(

Still learning to use the new camera + adobe lightroom.

Adobe lightroom is the bee's knees. As are 50mm lenses with short apertures.

Good stuff but back off the vignetting just a skosh.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
No snow until this Friday, so I decided to knock the gunk off it.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

No snow until this Friday, so I decided to knock the gunk off it.

i hope you used the 2x2 wash method, that black paint is crazy soft.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I like to think the thick layer of roadsalt and dust that cakes my vehicle between September and June forms an impermeable barrier against rocks and debris.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Put on an external trans cooler, extend the rear diff breather higher up in the chassis, put on Tundra brakes, and it will never ever ever break anything unless you do something dumb off-road, get in an accident, or let it rust into oblivion. They have frame rust issues similar to the same gen Tacoma that got recalled, but the recall didn't extend to the 4runners.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

i hope you used the 2x2 wash method, that black paint is crazy soft.

Opti-coat Pro :)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

Opti-coat Pro :)

ya but never not use the 2x2 grit guard method.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Good stuff but back off the vignetting just a skosh.

I like the vignetting :(

But actually the point of that exercise was more about managing light sources and making sure the colors look how I want. Lightroom is fantastic for this.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Linux Nazi posted:

I like the vignetting :(

No worries. My opinion doesn't mean anything if you like it. :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

ya but never not use the 2x2 grit guard method.

:effort:

I do need to get a grit guard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

:effort:

I do need to get a grit guard though.

get 2 (or better yet 4, two for each bucket)