Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just like the 1.0L Ecoboost because it's cool as hell. That loving car is making a hundred and forty horsepower from a one liter engine. On 87 octane pump gas. In an OEM state of tune.

It might be a nerdy thing to like it for, but holy crap that is awesome.

As a motorcyclist, meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Snowdens Secret posted:

As a motorcyclist, meh

147 horsepower and 155 lb*ft of torque, enough to move around a weatherproof safety cage that carries multiple people and their stuff in comfort. You can even drive it in the rain!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

147 horsepower and 155 lb*ft of torque, enough to move around a weatherproof safety cage that carries multiple people and their stuff in comfort. You can even drive it in the rain!

It probably makes that torque for the entire range from 2500 to 6500 rpm, like all the other ecoboost engines. most liter bikes are 80ft/lbs at 10,000 rpm.

You also don't see too many with 100k miles on em.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

It probably makes that torque for the entire range from 2500 to 6500 rpm, like all the other ecoboost engines. most liter bikes are 80ft/lbs at 10,000 rpm.

You also don't see too many with 100k miles on em.

I won't argue with the torque, though a liter twin will get closer to that figure, but there's many many many reasons why you don't see a lot of high mileage bikes. Engine engineering isn't one of them.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Snowdens Secret posted:

As a motorcyclist, meh

It's just like a really really really really fat Speed Triple?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's just like a really really really really fat Speed Triple?

*turbo speed triple.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So news has been fairly slow in the past little bit. You know how GM likes to sell W-body Impalas and such for 10+ years, continually reducing prices until they all went to rental fleets until resale values are crushed? Well Aston Martin is taking a page out of that book with the V8 Vantage GT.

http://jalopnik.com/the-aston-martin-v8-vantage-gt-is-a-screaming-deal-at-u-1597933643/all

TL;DR For 2015 you get a stripped down V8 Vantage Work Truck with a stick shift and cheaper seats for under $100k.

This was apparently announced back in April but who the hell pays attention to new Aston Martin announcements.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

So news has been fairly slow in the past little bit. You know how GM likes to sell W-body Impalas and such for 10+ years, continually reducing prices until they all went to rental fleets until resale values are crushed? Well Aston Martin is taking a page out of that book with the V8 Vantage GT.

http://jalopnik.com/the-aston-martin-v8-vantage-gt-is-a-screaming-deal-at-u-1597933643/all

TL;DR For 2015 you get a stripped down V8 Vantage Work Truck with a stick shift and cheaper seats for under $100k.

This was apparently announced back in April but who the hell pays attention to new Aston Martin announcements.

They're really sexy but I would still take an F-Type V8 Coupe before the Aston ever time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kenshin posted:

They're really sexy but I would still take an F-Type V8 Coupe before the Aston ever time.

I also see a fully-optioned corvette stealing some sales, especially when the z06 comes out.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I also see a fully-optioned corvette stealing some sales, especially when the z06 comes out.
Yeah, as neat as the Aston is, the z06 is going to be better at almost everything except for interior. (exterior is debatable, they are both very attractive cars, just in very different ways)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, as neat as the Aston is, the z06 is going to be better at almost everything except for interior. (exterior is debatable, they are both very attractive cars, just in very different ways)
I wouldn't say the AM is that much ahead on interior, the C6 and especially the C7 have done a great job of kicking interior quality up a notch. And the Z06 is going to laugh at the AM on every performance metric, much it does to almost every other exotic.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
The official HP figures of the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat have been released.

http://jalopnik.com/the-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-might-have-700-hp-1598662937/all

It has 707 HP, in a car that will presumably cost 100k or less.

Autoblog also confirmed 650 lb-feet of torque with an upgraded 8 speed auto transmission. Presumably the 6 Speed manual is available as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/01/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-707-horsepower-official-video/

Sole Survivor fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 1, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Best horsepower wars ever.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

Best horsepower wars ever.
Pretty much, yeah.

It's crazy that it is fairly trivial to pick up a lightly-used (or even new-that-didn't-sell) 400+ hp car for ~$25k USD these days.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm not even from the US, but the promotional clip in that Jalopnik article just makes me so happy. It's like America: The Youtube Clip.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sole Survivor posted:

The official HP figures of the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat have been released.

http://jalopnik.com/the-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-might-have-700-hp-1598662937/all

It has 707 HP, in a car that will presumably cost 100k or less.

Autoblog also confirmed 650 lb-feet of torque with an upgraded 8 speed auto transmission. Presumably the 6 Speed manual is available as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/01/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-707-horsepower-official-video/

I want one.

Or, maybe a Hellcat Charger.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

I want one.

Or, maybe a Hellcat Charger.

Hellcat li'l red express.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm not even from the US, but the promotional clip in that Jalopnik article just makes me so happy. It's like America: The Youtube Clip.

You aren't loving kidding. :patriot:

Powershift posted:

Hellcat li'l red express.

Make a not-poo poo version of the Dakota. Then put a Hellcat in it.

Alternatively, for maximum Dodge, Hellcat Ramcharger.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

IOwnCalculus posted:

You aren't loving kidding. :patriot:

Make a not-poo poo version of the Dakota. Then put a Hellcat in it.

Alternatively, for maximum Dodge, Hellcat Ramcharger.

Hellcat T-Rex.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I want a Hellcat 4x4 Camper Van.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I want a Hellcat Tomahawk.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Fine I'll say it, Hellcat Viper. Screw the V10.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

These things are going to be burnout machines. They should come with those tires that have red smoke for extra effect. There's no way people are going to be getting good launches from them with the hilariously small 275 rears they're going to come with and 707 hp. For reference the new z06 comes with 335 rear tires and nearly 100 less hp and a bit less torque.

I do not look forward to how many of these will be found in ditches.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Modern traction control is a magical thing. Sure they won't be getting all the torque in low gears, but they will absolutely be getting perfect launches unless they turn they aids off for some reason.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
HP

:eyepop:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fucknag posted:

Modern traction control is a magical thing. Sure they won't be getting all the torque in low gears, but they will absolutely be getting perfect launches unless they turn they aids off for some reason.

There are rumors around the Hellcat runs a 10.9x in the 1/4 mile.. launch control computer wizardy combined with a fast shifting 8 speed and 707 HP would get it there.

If it's even close to true, it's insane. Drive around all day, pick the kids up at daycare, go to the track, swap on a pair of drag radials or slicks and rip off high 10's and then drive home. gently caress technology is beautiful.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

skipdogg posted:

There are rumors around the Hellcat runs a 10.9x in the 1/4 mile.. launch control computer wizardy combined with a fast shifting 8 speed and 707 HP would get it there.

If it's even close to true, it's insane. Drive around all day, pick the kids up at daycare, go to the track, swap on a pair of drag radials or slicks and rip off high 10's and then drive home. gently caress technology is beautiful.

gently caress, that would put it in rare territory indeed.

Here's a list of cars that aren't 10 second cars from the factory:

-Ferrari Enzo
-McLaren F1
-Corvette ZR1
-Carrera GT
-Nissan GT-R
-Ford GT
-Audi R8 V10
-Shelby GT500 (that's the 202-mph 2013, with 662hp)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

skipdogg posted:

I feel like the additional traction the drag radials would get would break something.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Coredump posted:

I feel like the additional traction the drag radials would get would break something.

Supposedly they fried the clutch on the manual one they had out there.

I found where I found it.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/hellcat-turns-10-90s-off-trailer-224002/

http://motownmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?181316-hellcat-challenger-unvieled/page6

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Stealth Like posted:

These things are going to be burnout machines. They should come with those tires that have red smoke for extra effect. There's no way people are going to be getting good launches from them with the hilariously small 275 rears they're going to come with and 707 hp. For reference the new z06 comes with 335 rear tires and nearly 100 less hp and a bit less torque.

I do not look forward to how many of these will be found in ditches.

Look on the bright side: more Hellcat drive-trains for projects :v:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I'm betting that's on the factory tires too (assuming they are 315+), which wouldn't be a stretch, since the GT500s will do mid 11s with a stick on their hilariously small 285 rear tires. I wouldn't be surprised to see single digits from a tune and DRs.

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how docile modern 400+ horsepower cars are. There are tons of people online that complain that their 5.0 won't do a rolling burnout in first gear like their old 5.0 would, without considering the fact that a 400HP factory fox body would be nearly impossible to keep out of a ditch.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I really want to see Clarkson and Hammond in a Hellcat and z/28. May can be in whatever Ford is planning for the nuvo Mustang. So much tire smoke :D

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

I'm betting that's on the factory tires too (assuming they are 315+), which wouldn't be a stretch, since the GT500s will do mid 11s with a stick on their hilariously small 285 rear tires. I wouldn't be surprised to see single digits from a tune and DRs.

Motor trend says it comes stock with 275 rears. No way that was done without DRs on.

Edit: If you watch the video you can see how hilariously thin they look. One of these with wider rears is going to be a real beast though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how docile modern 400+ horsepower cars are. There are tons of people online that complain that their 5.0 won't do a rolling burnout in first gear like their old 5.0 would, without considering the fact that a 400HP factory fox body would be nearly impossible to keep out of a ditch.

I find the whole 'detuned' key thing more amusing now.

"Yes son, you can borrow the car, but you can only use the 500hp key."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

El Scotch posted:

The Zenvo ST-1 makes somewhere around 1100-1200hp, but luckily it has a "rain mode" that reduces the output to 650hp...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

El Scotch posted:

Aww jeez, Dad. Timmy's dad lets him use his motherfucking JATO rocket, how am I supposed to keep up with him with a measly 500 horse?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For some reason I just don't see many people that are going to DD a Hellcat, they'll be garage queens that only come out for cars and coffee, cruising on the weekend, or trips to the dragstrip. (and there is nothing wrong with that) Supposedly at WOT the thing can drain it's fuel tank in 13 minutes or so.

Besides anyone with the coin to buy one can afford a more efficient daily driver. Maybe I'm becoming an old fuddy duddy, but the increased HP in some of these cars is getting scary when inexperienced drivers get behind the wheel. I remember when the V-6 Mustang got pushed up to over 300HP...I immediately thought about the chance of some super dad buying his 16 year old kid a 300HP Mustang as a birthday present and the danger that inexperienced driver will become behind the wheel of a car that quick. All the electronic nannies in place these days probably help a whole lot though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the Hemi engine won't physically fit in the Viper. It's too wide for the frame rails.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

El Scotch posted:

does 500 hp mode get better fuel economy or something? I don't understand why you'd limit at 500 if you're concerned with a kid or like a valet.

However, I'm not totally sure if HP really correlates to danger these days anyway. Seems like most of the accidents you see are older/slower vehicles in bad condition. At least most performance cars are lighter and have big brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

According to one article I read the car has a Valet mode in addition to the black key. Valet mode limits the engine to 4000 RPM, deactivates the flappy paddles, launch control and all that jazz. You enter a 4digit pin to put it into Valet mode and it neuters the car.