Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Intriguing. I was waiting to buy the upgraded XPS 13 but a slim laptop with a dGPU is incredibly tempting. This comes out at the end of the month?

Yeah on the 26th.

Honestly it makes sense, because it needs to work seamlessly with the intergrated GPU to make it so you can detach and attach the tablet like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Intriguing. I was waiting to buy the upgraded XPS 13 but a slim laptop with a dGPU is incredibly tempting. This comes out at the end of the month?

Just remember it's not exactly slim at the thick end, even compared to something like a Yoga 3 14 with the 940M

It is very lightweight though

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

dissss posted:

Just remember it's not exactly slim at the thick end, even compared to something like a Yoga 3 14 with the 940M

Excellent point. I misspoke. The lightweight matters the most to me. A lot of laptops with dGPUs feel heavy as poo poo compared to ultrabooks.

Ugh I'm super tempted by this. Now to resist the urge to pre-order until I've seen reviews.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

dissss posted:

Yeah, it's 3.48 lbs with the dGPU. The dGPU doesn't add too much either it's 3.34 lbs without one. The tablet alone only weighs 1.6 lbs.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ugh I'm super tempted by this. Now to resist the urge to pre-order until I've seen reviews.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this too, but I'd really rather know more details about the GPU and it's expected performance.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Skandranon posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about this too, but I'd really rather know more details about the GPU and it's expected performance.

Same and I want to touch it before I buy it. I spend wayyyyy too much time with my computers so I need to get a feel for it before I buy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When do you guys think we will start benchmarks on the dGPU? After it comes out? I'm hoping Microsoft has sent out some of these bad boys for reviews. Maybe someone will break the NDA.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
They just announced it, I'm sure the NDA will drop soon and we should see some reviews.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's 1st gen hardware it's going to suck. Also apparently the first laptop Microsoft has ever made so probably a good idea to wait. The Surface 2 was way better than the first one.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's 1st gen hardware it's going to suck. Also apparently the first laptop Microsoft has ever made so probably a good idea to wait. The Surface 2 was way better than the first one.

If you wait, you're gonna be waiting forever.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The Surface Pro 3 and 4 are solid machines. I think this is the first 'laptop' in the sense it has a full keyboard by default, but this is by no means their first foray into portable computing. If it is literally just a Surface Pro 3/4 with a dedicated GPU + battery in the keyboard attachment, it's going to be pretty good.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

obi_ant posted:

Doesn't mean you should buy the first generation of any product

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My guess is it will be a 940m since that's what all the other guys are doing. Maybe they'll have it clocked 100mhz higher and call it a 945m, but I severely doubt it's a 960m with the amount of cooling it has.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's 5 years since the VPCZ1 Vaio Z and people are still waiting for the perfect laptop?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

To be fair this is just a Surface Pro with a fancy-shmancy keyboard. They've made 4 generations of Surface tablets and 4 generations of hardware keyboards. I wouldn't buy their first gen "laptop" either but Microsoft does have a pretty solid track record of building incredible hardware.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

obi_ant posted:

I make an exception to 1st gen hardware. It's not just speed bumps and whatnot. There are usually significant improvements with the second.

Skandranon posted:

The Surface Pro 3 and 4 are solid machines. I think this is the first 'laptop' in the sense it has a full keyboard by default, but this is by no means their first foray into portable computing. If it is literally just a Surface Pro 3/4 with a dedicated GPU + battery in the keyboard attachment, it's going to be pretty good.

The keyboard attachment looks weird and new. It also houses a big battery and its own graphics card? Sounds innovative but nobody else has done that yet and there will be kinks to work out. It will be awesome when the next one comes out.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 7, 2015

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I posted a couple of pages back about my Thinkpad Yoga 15 woes. Honestly, I'm sort of shocked at how poor the communication from Lenovo has been about the Yoga 15, as regards the Active Pen issue, but I was sort of successful in convincing myself that I could do without pressure sensitive pen - until I saw some of the Microsoft news yesterday.

Now I'm planning on returning the Yoga and getting a Surface Pro 4 (unfortunately the Surface Book won't be coming to Denmark in the foreseeable future, or I'd go for that), but I want to be completely sure before I pre-order: The 8 GB RAM, i5 Surface Pro 4 should be able to handle most Photoshop editing/painting, right? I normally work with below 4-500 MB file sizes, and I do have my desktop setup for very demanding stuff. It's been 3 years since I've done graphics editing on anything but a desktop PC with a digitizer, so I have no feel for the hardware requirements.

And a late thanks for recommending I look into the HP Spectre x360, Aphrodite. Unfortunately HP's Danish site is trash (which is weirdly the case for almost all laptop companies), and while I was looking at it the Microsoft news came out, so that ended my Spectre x360 research immediately.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Said it before and I'll say it again: If you want a quad core, 16 gb machine with competent dGPU that doesn't weigh a cathedral and isn't some chintzed out spaceship :pcgaming: with poo poo battery life then just wait for the upcoming Dell XPS 15.

EDIT: They'll also probably do a Precision model of the same if you really, really, really need Quadro graphics.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again: If you want a quad core, 16 gb machine with competent dGPU that doesn't weigh a cathedral and isn't some chintzed out spaceship :pcgaming: with poo poo battery life then just wait for the upcoming Dell XPS 15.

EDIT: They'll also probably do a Precision model of the same if you really, really, really need Quadro graphics.

When is this supposed to be out.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Probably near the end of the year though it's already showing up for pre-order in a couple of the europe stores.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Mu Zeta posted:

I make an exception to 1st gen hardware. It's not just speed bumps and whatnot. There are usually significant improvements with the second.

The keyboard attachment looks weird and new. It also houses a big battery and its own graphics card? Sounds innovative but nobody else has done that yet and there will be kinks to work out. It will be awesome when the next one comes out.

Lenovo's Helix line stores an additional battery in the removable keyboard without any trouble for the last two years. People have been running PCIe over thunderbolt for a few years, it never really caught on but it isn't some completely new technology either.

I am surprised they didn't put a USB type C port on any of there Surface products.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Calidus posted:

Lenovo's Helix line stores an additional battery in the removable keyboard without any trouble for the last two years. People have been running PCIe over thunderbolt for a few years, it never really caught on but it isn't some completely new technology either.

I am surprised they didn't put a USB type C port on any of there Surface products.
Type c will be the big upgrade next year.
They promised to keep accessory compatibility for this year.
And hopefully they'll merge the SPx line and the book next year too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a couple of hardware questions.

#1: My laptop (MSI GT72 QD) came with a 2.5" 1TB HDD. I have since added 2x240GB M.2 SATA SSD in a RAID0 which has my OS and games install on it.

There is however still a spare 2.5" bay, but it has no connectors. However, I still have 2 x M.2 (see photo) slots which are still available.

Does such an adapter exist that I can plug into an M.2 slot on one end and give me an SATA on the other end so I could use another 2.5" drive? I'm thinking of adding another HDD for bulk storage, although I'm not sure about the power requirements.

Speaking about power...

#2: A lot of these laptops nowadays come with built in batteries that are not really meant to be easily user serviceable. I presume it's OK to start plugging in RAM and SSDs and poo poo with the battery still attached?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 7, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

slidebite posted:

#2: A lot of these laptops nowadays come with built in batteries that are not really meant to be easily user serviceable. I presume it's OK to start plugging in RAM and SSDs and poo poo with the battery still attached?

Yes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rumor on the street is end of October for the XPS 15

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
The monitor of my 18 month old Toshiba Satellite has become unreliable. When it experiences some jarring force, the display becomes a series of vertical white and off white lines. Shutting the computer, waiting for it to enter sleep mode, and reopening it usually restores normal function. The problem has been happening more and more often, and over the past day or two the vibration from my typing has thrown the monitor off a few times.

My guess is that there's some damage in the hinge itself to the (hdmi?) connection between the system's video card and the panel, but I haven't been able to get much info on similar problems online. Any suggestions? Is this sort of thing something that computer repair shops have much success with?

Exitlights
Dec 25, 2006
Calmly and clearly announce that the building must be evacuated.
So, I bought a Dell XPS 13, but the keyboard is killing me with its key debounce issue. I've updated to A05 bios with no significant improvement. I also took a trip to Fry's to see if they had the same issue, and their model unit was doing the same thing. Is this a problem endemic to all XPS13s, and I just need to find a different machine or wait for the Skylake version, or did I get unlucky with my unit?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Newf posted:

The monitor of my 18 month old Toshiba Satellite has become unreliable. When it experiences some jarring force, the display becomes a series of vertical white and off white lines. Shutting the computer, waiting for it to enter sleep mode, and reopening it usually restores normal function. The problem has been happening more and more often, and over the past day or two the vibration from my typing has thrown the monitor off a few times.

My guess is that there's some damage in the hinge itself to the (hdmi?) connection between the system's video card and the panel, but I haven't been able to get much info on similar problems online. Any suggestions? Is this sort of thing something that computer repair shops have much success with?

The display is probably an "EDP" panel and there's a flat ribbon cable that runs to the display. Either the cable is loose or pinched somehow.

If it's under warranty have them put in a new panel. Otherwise try reseating the ribbon on both ends at display and motherboard, if that fails, you may need to replace the ribbon or display.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Will the new Surface poo poo get discounted (in the states) for black friday or xmas? Did ms ever mark the surface 2/3 down for these holidays (lol) or is it too luxury a product for that treatment?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sarehu posted:

It's 5 years since the VPCZ1 Vaio Z and people are still waiting for the perfect laptop?

Still fond of mine. My wife loves the look of the Surface Book though, it's the pen (thus drawing) capability that's doing it for her.

But then I'd need to sell her pristine Vaio S13 Premium. Also a really nice machine...

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Does the Microsoft website let you do in-store pickups? Would it be better for me to cancel my online order and preorder at the store if I want it right on October 26th?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Satellit3 posted:

Will the new Surface poo poo get discounted (in the states) for black friday or xmas? Did ms ever mark the surface 2/3 down for these holidays (lol) or is it too luxury a product for that treatment?

For Black Friday last year, Best Buy had the SP3 for $100 off (on the 128gb models or above). I think the high-end i7 model got $150 off.

Granted, the SP3 had been out for 4 months by the time Black Friday rolled around. SP4 will have only been out a month.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Looking for a new laptop for my wife, just general usage type stuff (Office, Netflix, Email, etc). Size-wise probably looking for 13". Willing to spend up to $600.

Is the OP still mostly valid for recommended models? Or are there other options to consider?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Hadlock posted:

Rumor on the street is end of October for the XPS 15

My guess is they're waiting for their DellWorld event to release them. http://www.dellworld.com/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had no idea they had their own convention but looking back that makes sense. Was this how the XPS 13 was announced?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dell refreshed their XPS 13 and 15 with Skylake. The 15 is now close in size to a 14" laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/dell-refreshes-xps-13-and-xps-15-and-debuts-xps-12-tablet-hybrid/

e: The 15" starts at $999 but it's a garbage configuration with Core i3, a mechanical spinning hard drive and a tiny 56w battery. The upgraded SSD version has a much larger battery and it's probably going to cost a pretty penny. I don't see these on the Dell site yet, probably in the next few hours.

The webcams are still awful on both models but there's not much you can do when you have no bezel.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 8, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Dell refreshed their XPS 13 and 15 with Skylake. The 15 is now close in size to a 14" laptop.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/dell-refreshes-xps-13-and-xps-15-and-debuts-xps-12-tablet-hybrid/

God, Dell's really been knocking it out of the park with the new XPS line.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The new xps 13 is on their business site. It comes with 4gb ram and cannot be configured higher.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ErikTheRed posted:

Looking for a new laptop for my wife, just general usage type stuff (Office, Netflix, Email, etc). Size-wise probably looking for 13". Willing to spend up to $600.

Is the OP still mostly valid for recommended models? Or are there other options to consider?

Can usually find the ASUS UX305FA for $600 at the Microsoft store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

The new xps 13 is on their business site. It comes with 4gb ram and cannot be configured higher.

The configurator only lists 4GB ram and 128GB SSD as options, but the advertising copy on the main page says it's up to 16GB and 1TB. I'm pretty sure it's just a fuckup in the configurator.