Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
3D touch would be way more useful for the text selection properties if it didn't fail half the time I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bass Bottles posted:

i'm starting to think the constant recommendation of saddle brown is actually misdirection, so that "in the know" goons will be the only cool kids at the party with midnight blue

Hell naw, Saddle Brown is nice, but suffers the same quality issues that the leather 6 cases do ("blistering" I think, or susceptibility to groups of little pimple-like bumps in areas exposed to... something. Water? Moisture? Oil?) I've only managed to get 6-8 months out of these cases before they start basically rotting, and at $45 that kinda sucks.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Cozmosis posted:

3D touch would be way more useful for the text selection properties if it didn't fail half the time I tried it.

I always get it perfect and then when I let go it moves over 1 or 2 characters :mad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always use this to impress android folks when they ask "wtf is 3d touch??"

https://freinbichler.me/apps/3dtouch/

Obviously only works on a 3d touch device. But it usually sorts it out for them.. they're like "oh I get it now, seems useless but cool." Which is what I think about 3dtouch too.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

withak posted:

It would be a lot better if you didn't need gigantic hands to reach the left edge of the screen with the your right thumb.

Haven't tried it on a 6s plus yet. If you're talking about the normal 6s those are some small rear end hands you're talking about.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fourwood posted:

3D Touch is worth it just for task switching and the keyboard trackpad. I basically use Peek & Pop so little that I forget that it's a thing, though.

Lefty master race. :smug:

I'm right handed but mostly hold my phone with my left hand. This thread really makes me feel like I'm some kind of freak or superhero.

I also keep it in my left hip pocket.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

tuyop posted:

BURN THE WITCH!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

What makes you think it's easy to sue a large corporation with the proper necessary paperwork to say the unit met all safety criteria?
You're not suing anyone either way unless there is provable due negligence.

Let's see... the existing contracts between a large company like JL who are generally shown to be generally as good as it gets when it comes to corporations, and their suppliers who will then have been shown to have falsified their safety credentials. Your "research" relies on a single test which showed that some brand names were fine while some smaller ones were changing components.

I know you love being obtuse as gently caress on these forums, but if you honestly think you're in a worse position having dealt with a random dude who has probably disappeared on a market stall than a large corporation that relies on their luxury status who doesn't want to be tied to headlines involving people's houses burning down, then you're hilariously wrong. But hey what do I know, I've only been involved in corporate insurance for years and have a family full of actual lawyers.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

tuyop posted:

I'm right handed but mostly hold my phone with my left hand. This thread really makes me feel like I'm some kind of freak or superhero.

Same

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same too. My 'weird thing' with iPhones is using my left thumb and right index finger for typing sometimes.

I still don't understand people who put their phones in their back pockets, but it seems to happen tons. Particularly amongst the 'I broke my iPhone' crowd.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
That leather case doesn't protect shittttt

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

89 posted:

Protects perfectly.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

89 posted:

Try putting an iPhone in there instead.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Not waterproof!

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

89 posted:

Protects me from having an inferior case. :agesilaus:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Let's see... the existing contracts between a large company like JL who are generally shown to be generally as good as it gets when it comes to corporations, and their suppliers who will then have been shown to have falsified their safety credentials. Your "research" relies on a single test which showed that some brand names were fine while some smaller ones were changing components.

I know you love being obtuse as gently caress on these forums, but if you honestly think you're in a worse position having dealt with a random dude who has probably disappeared on a market stall than a large corporation that relies on their luxury status who doesn't want to be tied to headlines involving people's houses burning down, then you're hilariously wrong. But hey what do I know, I've only been involved in corporate insurance for years and have a family full of actual lawyers.

You still seem to think the CE stamp is a legally binding safety credential. It is neither such in practice nor is it meant to be. It's literally a declaration that the manufacturer believes it adheres to safety guidelines. Those safety guidelines are completely pointless when you're looking at something like a charger.

Do you honestly believe 'they' take 100 chargers and run them for 100,000 hours and say yay/nay based on a predetermined safety rate? No one is doing this. If there's a bad copper mix in 1 in 50 cheapass chargers that might heat and melt poo poo, no one is going to determine that during CE certification because its a certification based on design and purpose and not field testing.

Or just take this from one of the leading CE marking companies:

quote:

Despite what many people believe, a manufacturer does not “get” the CE mark from a third party certification body or a European or national authority. The manufacturer affixes the CE marking in his own right and is allowed to do so when all requirements are fulfilled

None of those requirements involve any actual testing for low voltage products. If it turns out they start catching on fire all that happens is retailers recall because not selling known-bad products is where their liability begins and ends.

If you think JL pays out every time a Christmas tree fire burns someone's house down I don't know what to tell you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

If you think JL pays out every time a Christmas tree fire burns someone's house down I don't know what to tell you.

You see a spate of JL products burning people's houses down in the press? Me neither. Wonder why.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
just loving lol if you don't have a saddle brown leather case on your iPhone

double lol if you have the Bad Chip (what is the SE's chip status btw did we ever figure it out?)

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

just loving lol if you don't have a saddle brown leather case on your iPhone

double lol if you have the Bad Chip (what is the SE's chip status btw did we ever figure it out?)

Um, this was already talked about. It comes with either the Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820 or Samsung's Exynos 8890 Octa. The best one of the two is the TSMC chip.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

bronin posted:

Haven't tried it on a 6s plus yet. If you're talking about the normal 6s those are some small rear end hands you're talking about.

If you hold your phone between your pinky and the fleshy part of your thumb, the -1σ for thumb length would be a 3.5" phone like the original iPhone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Khablam posted:

You still seem to think the CE stamp is a legally binding safety credential. It is neither such in practice nor is it meant to be. It's literally a declaration that the manufacturer believes it adheres to safety guidelines. Those safety guidelines are completely pointless when you're looking at something like a charger.

This is all true, but there's still most probably a meaningful difference in quality between a "cheap" charger from a major national chain versus the cheapest thing you can get off eBay or aliexpress.

The one from the major national chain involves at least somewhat of a real contract with terms and a large enough supply chain and distribution network to rule out the shadiest of junk, plus the cost is at least an order of magnitude higher so there's less corners to be cut on quality.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Bass Bottles posted:

I always get it perfect and then when I let go it moves over 1 or 2 characters :mad:

That too. Christ.

I really miss my 6 plus :(. With the OIS I think the camera was more reliable. I deeply regret the change back to a standard 6s. And the battery life....

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
6+ to 6s best change ever imo

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the bad iPhone chip thing?

And there's no 5 saddle brown leather case. :smith:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Tab8715 posted:

And there's no 5 saddle brown leather case. :smith:

JUST BUY THE OLD ONE!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MF041LL-Leather-iPhone-Case/dp/B00F9RZVSU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Will this fit on the 5SE?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tab8715 posted:

Nothing. Apple split production of the A9 in the 6S between Samsung and TSMC, and the Samsung got slightly worse battery life in a handful of homemade stress tests. It's pretty much just a joke around here, but more discerning communities have taken to calling it "chipgate" as if it really matters for a device most people keep between 1-2 years.

Antennagate? An actually significant design flaw. Bendgate? Don't sit on your phone or cramp it into your tight skinny jeans (or intentionally try to bend your phone, ya dingus.) Chipgate? Literally not even a thing.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 27, 2016

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tab8715 posted:

Will this fit on the 5SE?
Yeah, all iPhone 5 or 5s cases fit on the SE just fine. They're identical.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

td4guy posted:

Yeah, all iPhone 5 or 5s cases fit on the SE just fine. They're identical.

Is there a particular reason why there isn't a Saddle Brown iPhone following like there is for the 6 and 6S?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a particular reason why there isn't a Saddle Brown iPhone following like there is for the 6 and 6S?

They realised Midnight Blue was the way forward

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Have they launched any new cases specifically for the iPhone SE? Saddle Brown is the pinnacle of case technology and only became available with the 6S.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Saddle brown is actually the worst case, I've found. Honestly, they're all horrible except black.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

~Coxy posted:

If you hold your phone between your pinky and the fleshy part of your thumb, the -1σ for thumb length would be a 3.5" phone like the original iPhone.

I don't even... I guess we hold our phones differently.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cozmosis posted:

That too. Christ.

I really miss my 6 plus :(. With the OIS I think the camera was more reliable. I deeply regret the change back to a standard 6s. And the battery life....

I'm going from a 6S+ to a 4S. I think I'm gonna die.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Palladium posted:

I'm going from a 6S+ to a 4S. I think I'm gonna die.

RIP

my gf was using a 4s up until December. the vertical screen size is like the same size as the horizontal on the 6s+ 😂😂

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I bought an SE unlocked from Apple. I'm travelling from Canada to Japan in December. Is it a thing to buy a SIM card there and put it in my phone to be on a limited/cheap plan there for data and minimal local calling?

E:vv thanks

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 27, 2016

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

VelociBacon posted:

I bought an SE unlocked from Apple. I'm travelling from Canada to Japan in December. Is it a thing to buy a SIM card there and put it in my phone to be on a limited/cheap plan there for data and minimal local calling?

FAQ for people visiting Japan

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

bronin posted:

I don't even... I guess we hold our phones differently.

If you have or have had an iPhone 4, put your pinky where the band is to replicate antennagate. That's the "intended" one-hand grid for iPhone, and ~84% of people will still be able to reach the top-left corner of the screen without shifting grip.

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

~Coxy posted:

If you have or have had an iPhone 4, put your pinky where the band is to replicate antennagate. That's the "intended" one-hand grid for iPhone, and ~84% of people will still be able to reach the top-left corner of the screen without shifting grip.

I think he thought you meant your thumb on the front and pinky on the back. At least, that's how I read it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

~Coxy posted:

This is the biggest crock of poo poo in the entire thread.