Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Psychonauts is a good psychedelic game.

Completionists have serious mental problems.

I smashed that like button, homie.

Don't lump completionists in with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

3 days and weed screams "the neverhood" to me

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
all good suggestions

Scaly Haylie

food court bailiff posted:

3 days and weed screams "the neverhood" to me

doug tennapel is ruined for me, sorry

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
How about that weird first person fighting game that looks like it's set in a story from 70s era Heavy Metal comic?

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

it's legit interesting to wander around in and experience

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
still playing skyrim and gta until red dead, what

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
oh and i stopped being a spaceship because elite:stare at cockpit got old

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
elite:spaceship wasn't even trucker enough, i want to spend 20 minutes parking actually and for real. bonus if the game includes arguing with dispatch for waiting time pay

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
A trucker seems like an ok job but also terrible in different ways.

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm playing Fallout 4 like it's going out of style, because it is. The hype train is already moving on to Fallout 76, which I probably won't play until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out. Cyberpunk 2020 was one of my favorite RPGs as a kid.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rockman Reserve

cyberpunk 2077 looks super cool and i really want it but i'm pretty sure it played a not-insignificant part in the long slow death of the best game in the universe android:netrunner so i'm a little salty

Twenty Four

Is there a good fallout after the first two I should really look into? Should I be interested? My friend said something about Fallout 76 multiplayer but I'm not too sure about it unless he is just going to follow me around as dogmeat.

Rockman Reserve

fo3 has a fun world to explore (for the most part) and some of the most garbage writing ever to grace the medium, but still it's a lot of fun

fonv's world is less fun to explore (at least in my opinion) but the writing is much better

both have their strengths and weaknesses and both are regularly cheap as h*ck. i kinda feel like if you're the kind of person to wander around in morrowind/skyrim/whatever and not do the main quest ever you might enjoy fo3, if you like companions and factions and quests and stuff you'll prefer nv

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't buy the "bad writing" criticism of Bethesda's treatment of the Fallout mythos. It's just buttmad grognard fanboism that their favorites suck poo poo with the financials. Fallout 1 and 2 are great except for the bullshit unbalanced RPG system. Fallout 3 and 4 are great except for some of the FPS railroading. Fallout: New Vegas is great, at least until the dumbass ending where you have to fight the Legion dude 1v1 no matter what and some of the sameyness of the Mojave.

cyberpunk 2077 looks super cool and i really want it but i'm pretty sure it played a not-insignificant part in the long slow death of the best game in the universe android:netrunner so i'm a little salty

I played the CCG predecessor, which was good fun, but not the LCG...

Honestly, I thought FFG went too hard, too fast and released hundreds of dollars worth of cards in expansions when they should have waited and released fewer, but larger, sets. Like, I was dissuaded from engaging with the game when I had some interest because of how frequently they were releasing new sets.

I'm just glad Mike seems happy.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 12, 2018

----------------

mysterious frankie

Same! It warms my heart to see him tapdancing on the friggin moon in all the publicity stuff. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

----------------

Rockman Reserve

I don't buy the "bad writing" criticism of Bethesda's treatment of the Fallout mythos. It's just buttmad grognard fanboism that their favorites suck poo poo with the financials. Fallout 1 and 2 are great. Fallout 3 and 4 are great. Fallout: New Vegas is great, at least until the dumbass ending where you have to fight the Legion dude 1v1 no matter what.

most of the writing in 3 was decent but the very end is so so so bad that it casts a pallor over the rest of it. and i disagree about 4 entirely. i don't give a crap about any kind of mythos or whatever dude i'm just not dumb enough to walk into a room that will kill me with 100% certainty when i have a friend there that is completely immune to it, for the sake of manufactured drama

quote:

I played the CCG predecessor, which was good fun, but not the LCG...

Honestly, I thought FFG went too hard, too fast and released hundreds of dollars worth of cards in expansions when they should have waited and released fewer, but larger, sets. Like, I was dissuaded from engaging with the game when I had some interest because of how frequently they were releasing new sets.

if you want to talk grognard fanboism this is where you do it, man. every time ffg releases an LCG people piss and moan that they're not releasing any new cards and the game is already stagnant and dying. then they do games where they release more cards like netrunner, or l5r where they're doing a pack a week, and those same exact people complain that there's too many cards. there's no winning on that front, netrunner was fine since 99% of the really good cards you'd always want were from the core or deluxe expansions anyway (paperclip notwithstanding)

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious frankie posted:

Same! It warms my heart to see him tapdancing on the friggin moon in all the publicity stuff. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Yep. Cyberpunk 2020 blew my little mind as a kid in middle school. drat.

most of the writing in 3 was decent but the very end is so so so bad that it casts a pallor over the rest of it. and i disagree about 4 entirely. i don't give a crap about any kind of mythos or whatever dude i'm just not dumb enough to walk into a room that will kill me with 100% certainty when i have a friend there that is completely immune to it, for the sake of manufactured drama

if you want to talk grognard fanboism this is where you do it, man. every time ffg releases an LCG people piss and moan that they're not releasing any new cards and the game is already stagnant and dying. then they do games where they release more cards like netrunner, or l5r where they're doing a pack a week, and those same exact people complain that there's too many cards. there's no winning on that front, netrunner was fine since 99% of the really good cards you'd always want were from the core or deluxe expansions anyway (paperclip notwithstanding)

I loved the whole Liberty Prime scene from 3 and I'm pretty sure I went with the suicide savior option. Evil is boring and predictable.

Fallout 4 is loving genius. It's chock full of subtle world building brilliance and sorry if you had to adapt your character to a specific role that didn't jive with your Mary Sue needs, but it's amazing when you do, and if you avoid it, you can always go Nuka World, ignore the intro poo poo and RP as a raider king. gently caress off and retcon and/or mod what you need, big anime tiddies or whatever.

Grogs freak out about FFG because they are the embodiment of IP crows. They have had some innovative ideas, though, like that flip-chit Warhammer game. Honestly, I'll probably look for android:netrunner on ebay in like 5 years and get the whole range for $20 and be happy as a clam until I die.

----------------

Bobby Deluxe

Fallout: New Vegas is great, at least until the dumbass ending where you have to fight the Legion dude 1v1 no matter what and some of the sameyness of the Mojave.
you can talk him out of fighting if you have a high enough speech, then VATS him in the head as he is walking away

the actual worst thing is the cazadores

Twenty Four

I think I am more confused :/

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

Twenty Four posted:

I think I am more confused :/

Play Fallout: New Vegas, duh. Get the DLC, too.

Then play Fallout 4, and at least get the Far Harbor DLC with it.

Don't waste your time on Fallout 3. It's not the worst game or anything, but it's just lackluster compared to the two above.

You are now enlightened.

----------------

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

New Vegas is drat good. 4 had potential and isn't bad but it's a buggy pile of crap with questionable writing. 3 is bad and largely forgettable.

Bobby Deluxe

4 also suffers from the usual starting game, thinking 'yay i can't wait' and then realising all the quests you have to do to unlock all the stuff you need to

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

4 also suffers from the usual starting game, thinking 'yay i can't wait' and then realising all the quests you have to do to unlock all the stuff you need to

The perk system also makes things way too restrictive. The things you really want are like level 40 or higher but because there are 275 perks you really have to choose carefully. But you also have to spend those points on SPECIAL attributes to get access to more perks. So everything is in conflict with everything else on that screen. You also only start with enough points to get 4 in every attribute because...well I don't know why. Meanwhile there are weapons so strong they can completely trivialize combat forever.

I enjoyed the game and played it a lot sure but I can only give it a luke warm recommendation at best. That being said if you catch it on sale for cheap definitely buy it just to do Far Harbor and the Mechanist line. Those are top notch.

Scaly Haylie

:ocelot:

Bobby Deluxe

noice, get some edibles and enjoy your weekend friend :)

Scaly Haylie

Bobby Deluxe posted:

noice, get some edibles and enjoy your weekend friend :)

too late! i already smoked two hits to deal with some anxiety that turned out to be unfounded, and one more to watch youtube.

and rez is goooooooooooooood! :buddy:

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobby Deluxe posted:

you can talk him out of fighting if you have a high enough speech, then VATS him in the head as he is walking away

the actual worst thing is the cazadores

I had a big rear end army of killer robots! :mad:

----------------

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

Robots make everything better. Every game should have robots.

I'm sewage flavored.

mysterious frankie

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Robots make everything better. Every game should have robots.

I was gonna get all sassy in my reply until I remembered I just finished Breath of The Wild, it had robots, and it was basically my fave Zelda since Wind Waker, so you might be on to something there.

----------------

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Fallout 3 and 4 are bad. New Vegas is good.

oh god I spilled my hot take all over my lap...

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

MockingQuantum

IMH2C Fallout 3 vanilla was "meh", but the DLC made it "hmm!+"

I thought NV was a firm "Jack Nicholson Nod"

Fallout 4 didn't grab me, I don't regret playing it but I never had the urge to actually finish a lot , I of the quests so I guess I'd give it an "Applebee's.5"

I don't have the greatest recollection of the original two games but gameplay issues aside, I thought they better embraced the weird and found the charm in the bizarre, the stories seemed to center around a lot more of people trying to sort out the weird new world, whereas 3&5 spend a lot more time with characters who insist the right thing to do is kinda just to rebuild everything so it's as close to what it used to be as possible

NV had that too, with the NCR, but it scratched the stylistic itch that I wanted, I think it had the best sense of what made the first two really interesting. plus it had a bizarre Zybourne Clock reference so that's neat

of course all this musing may just boil down to me not finding the eastern seaboard settings in 3&4 very interesting to begin with, at least compared to the other games

thank you luvcow for the sig

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
My friends tell me it's weird I don't like fallout when I play so much skyrim but my reasons are:

I watched oddhair play 2 or 3 I think and he made it look boring and I didn't wanna have to fix my guns. Also skryim is super chill to explore, and easy

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
But I'm definitely going to get 76

mysterious frankie

MockingQuantum posted:

Fallout 4 didn't grab me, I don't regret playing it but I never had the urge to actually finish a lot , I of the quests so I guess I'd give it an "Applebee's.5"

Fallout 4 was mostly ok imo. I liked it enough to keep playing til the part they gated behind gathering enough tin cans and toilet water to build a working teleporter. 2.5/4 bags of gore.

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hugh Malone posted:

But I'm definitely going to get 76

I actually pre-ordered it on Amazon because it was only $50. I don't think I've ever pre-ordered a game before...

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious frankie posted:

Fallout 4 was mostly ok imo. I liked it enough to keep playing til the part they gated behind gathering enough tin cans and toilet water to build a working teleporter. 2.5/4 bags of gore.

Uh, I buy shipments of steel from traders tyvm... #garbageking

Only registered members can see post attachments!

----------------

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I'm almost to the end of Persona 4, and what a ride it's been. I have to say that the story really subverted my expectations in a lot of ways. One of the best JRPGs I've played since Tales of Symphonia.

I'm up to Ameno Sagiri.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Rockman Reserve

uh is octopath traveler good because apparently (?) i bought and installed it last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

uh is octopath traveler good because apparently (?) i bought and installed it last night

I've heard nothing but good things.