Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why have artillery when you can just have more aircraft :o:

Lets put 100% of our military spending on just building a sick nasty airforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah. I mean looks like the Russians could barely get 120 km from Tierp to Stockholm without making GBS threads themselves and running out of fuel. Just buy airframes and nlaws for 50 gigasek per year and we got this.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

At this rate the military budget might get slashed for being grossly overqualified to deal with the Russian threat.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Yeah. I mean looks like the Russians could barely get 120 km from Tierp to Stockholm without making GBS threads themselves and running out of fuel. Just buy airframes and nlaws for 50 gigasek per year and we got this.

I imagine a 4 km column of Uzbek lorry drivers stuck in mud outside the Markaryd moose safari, and it is glorious.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

zokie posted:

My dad got placed at a regiment but was never summoned, because he was a commie. Years later when I had started school he had to do a couple of months as a “ambulance driver”, I guess they figured he was safe once he finished his PhD…

So what was "ambulance driver" a euphemism for before ISIS?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Peak Denmark

https://twitter.com/3ivin6/status/1500007048406310915?t=ItDSk7wXLrGkDjJ76FCMVQ&s=19

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I hope this makes headlines across the world but I'm not expecting much

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

jeebus bob posted:

I hope this makes headlines across the world but I'm not expecting much
Given that it is entirely in line with the messaging from the rest of the EU and the US, I doubt it'll make waves. Like, the way Ukraine is described is straight up counter-factual vis-a-vis comparisons to say Iraq, where it is treated as a richer (and thus more worthy) country than Iraq just because it's European. If headlines are gonna be made, it's gonna be about Europe as a whole.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given that it is entirely in line with the messaging from the rest of the EU and the US, I doubt it'll make waves. Like, the way Ukraine is described is straight up counter-factual vis-a-vis comparisons to say Iraq, where it is treated as a richer (and thus more worthy) country than Iraq just because it's European. If headlines are gonna be made, it's gonna be about Europe as a whole.

Overall I agree with you, but a point can be made that EU is the first stop for Ukrainian refugees so we have a greater responsibility to help them.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nenonen posted:

Overall I agree with you, but a point can be made that EU is the first stop for Ukrainian refugees so we have a greater responsibility to help them.

poland is the first stop. by european rules generally poland is the new lebanon. there's going to be some solidarity here, but my guess is that it's going to fall apart once the number of refugees exceeds four million or so and some european countries feel like they've done their bit

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Hmm, don't a lot of Ukrainians have Visa free travel in the EU anyway, and so can seek asylum anywhere within the 90 days?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

V. Illych L. posted:

poland is the first stop. by european rules generally poland is the new lebanon. there's going to be some solidarity here, but my guess is that it's going to fall apart once the number of refugees exceeds four million or so and some european countries feel like they've done their bit

Yes, but no one's so cruel as to demand people stay in Poland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nenonen posted:

The EU might also be the first stop for the refugees coming out of Africa and the Middle East if it gets bad enough.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm all for supporting refugees no matter what but I can make a stronger case for supporting Ukrainian refugees. And maybe it'll even work with people who hate immigrants.

We've taken a stance in that conflict and are actively supporting one nation against another. Ukraines cause is our cause.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Yes, but no one's so cruel as to demand people stay in Poland.

This is why you should have invested in Eastern Poland.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Considering the amount of guns that Sweden sells to states acting in these major conflicts, I think we're liable to take in refugees everywhere to a high degree.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm all for being generous with refugee policy in this situation. it's a country in our region so it makes sense to loosen the general restrictions (i also think that present refugee policy is way, way too harsh in general). just saying what i think is going to be the result of actual millions of people showing up requesting asylum from the war and whatever bizarro regime follows it

fnox
May 19, 2013

Gonna see if I can coax the housing company to allow me to house a family from Ukraine in the building. I'm in one of those posh buildings that have a gästlägenhet, and I'm sure that's gonna really gently caress over someone's parents stay over Easter, but, I mean, we got the space, someone could be using it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Affi posted:

We've taken a stance in that conflict and are actively supporting one nation against another. Ukraines cause is our cause.

The same is true for Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria as far as Denmark is concerned and our state actively abuses those who've got this far, to say nothing of the populace.

We should welcome Ukranians, but the hypocrisy is palpable.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Threadkiller Dog posted:

At this point, the Ukraine conflict looks like what a Soviet invasion of Sweden would look like.
A lot of logistics columns getting ambushed on smaller roads in Småland, while the main offensive progresses.
Also:
https://twitter.com/slyndahynda/status/1499839516449910786?s=21

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Love that it seems like the Russians are invading with basically Rakel.

Great in many ways but you need infrastructure to use it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
tegnell is quitting because he got hired by the WHO lmao, that's gonna break a lot of brains

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TheFluff posted:

tegnell is quitting because he got hired by the WHO lmao, that's gonna break a lot of brains

Not the least in here. But good for him. He’s gonna work with vaccination programs as I read it.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

BigglesSWE posted:

Not the least in here. But good for him. He’s gonna work with vaccination programs as I read it.

Glad they found a better epidemologist atleast.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/BrutaltHemlig/status/1501310975366025220?s=20&t=WZbOp3TMf1ffAvUiYrZWiQ

The comment section is kind of adorable.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/Paljetter/status/1501670995157041155?s=20&t=WZbOp3TMf1ffAvUiYrZWiQ

New angle just dropped.

I might have to rethink this.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Sweden's also boosting their defence budget to 2% of GDP, which is pretty in line with everyone else. That's nearly double what it was.

It's still half of what it was at the peak of the Cold War I guess.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

fnox posted:

Sweden's also boosting their defence budget to 2% of GDP, which is pretty in line with everyone else. That's nearly double what it was.

It's still half of what it was at the peak of the Cold War I guess.

It's going to suck balls when the fighting starts over what public good to gut even more in order to finance this poo poo. Taxes?! What a silly concept.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Potrzebie posted:

It's going to suck balls when the fighting starts over what public good to gut even more in order to finance this poo poo. Taxes?! What a silly concept.

When the military budget was bigger, it also included vast amounts of emergency medical supplies, equipment, facilities and personnel.

Things that really could have come in handy in the past few years. It's not all guns and bullets. In fact, the guns and bullets are usually the last thing they cut.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Feliday Melody posted:

When the military budget was bigger, it also included vast amounts of emergency medical supplies, equipment, facilities and personnel.

Things that really could have come in handy in the past few years. It's not all guns and bullets. In fact, the guns and bullets are usually the last thing they cut.

Back in the day when the connection between taxes and financing public goods was understood? We're not going back there any time soon.

I'm not saying 100% of the new military budget will be murder-toys (though I suspect the MIC will make sure most go to Bofors, SAAB and co); I'm just sure that this will never ever be financed by raising taxes (since that is, 100% of the time, theft)

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 10, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Feliday Melody posted:

They didn't even encourage mask wearing in sweden, what good are emergency supplies you don't use.

Potrzebie posted:

I'm not saying 100% of the new military budget will be murder-toys (though I suspect the MIC will make sure most go to Bofors, SAAB and co); I'm just sure that this will never ever be financed by raising taxes (since that is, 100% of the time, theft)
Yeah this. Closing a bunch of loopholes? NOT ON MY WATCH

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the government debt has been problematically low for years, can just run a deficit for a while to punt on the problem

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

They didn't even encourage mask wearing in sweden, what good are emergency supplies you don't use.

A ton of FM's skyddsmask 90 was loaned out to health care workers etc, and did get a lot of use. Same thing with beds, sjvtält, consumables.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

the government debt has been problematically low for years, can just run a deficit for a while to punt on the problem

Lol if splurging on dumb military poo poo solves our governments awful obsession with minimizing public debt then I might actually be for it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

COVID is over unless you're 65+, immunocompromised or pregnant. :allears:

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/2022-03-10-nu-anbefales-coronatest-kun-i-saerlige-tilfaelde

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I wonder what my chances are of being conscripted if poo poo hits the fan proper.

I served from jan-june 1997 in Harstad as a regular gunman, in the "6 months intensive training then straight off to HV" thing that was a new thing then.

The year after I got called to Kongsberg to pick up the AG-3, ammo (this was the old rules where you had that poo poo at home) and other equipment. Year after that I got a notice that I was disbanded and had to go and return all that poo poo again when the downsizing happened.

I guess I wouldn't be in the first wave of conscriptions lol

Can't even find my vernepliktsbok or dog tags any more

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I wonder if all the increased military will finally put an end to the gender discrimination in conscription. It's such a silly thing, but it comes up occasionally as a "women don't have to go to bootcamp" talking point.

Of course, the real solution would be not to force anyone into any sort of job or education, including the military, but I'm not optimistic about that...

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Even with conscription in Sweden, no one really has to go to bootcamp. But in case of a war, you could be made to perform duties useful to society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BonHair posted:

Of course, the real solution would be

I keep saying it: Glistrup Doctrine.