Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arglebargle III posted:

This is the part of the thread where we reassure each other that no, the videos and reviews are wrong, the game will be amazing.

The game is probably gonna suck but john walker is wrong for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Multiplayer will be good

That's all that matters

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zelder posted:

Kumail Nanjiani is awesome, the gently caress is wrong y'all

I like kumail a lot, but I'm not in love with any of his clips in this game so far

But he's good in everything else

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I liked that he was confused about what a pathfinder was when that is the premise of the game and the subject of...like every promo we've seen up to now, also big ryder talks about it for the first 10 mins of the game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nanjiani is great. I do hope Walker is wrong though. I trust Hernandez a lot more than him in any case.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
but why pathfinders

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Burkion posted:

Multiplayer will be good

That's all that matters

:yeah:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

hey i know we like to joke around in here but let's get real for a second

these faces an animations look like they came from a game like 6+ years ago

not even joking

what in the absolute gently caress

yeah, seriously. every single human in that video is flat out bad and really not any good to look at for an extended period. they eyes are just glassy and stare seemingly anywhere except the person they're talking to.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

This is the part of the thread where we reassure each other that no, the videos and reviews are wrong, the game will be amazing.

faaaaart

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Arglebargle III posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Caution: Ryder enlarged for detail

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

She will not love you long time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKKRzemX_w&t=49s

her face says this

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

"The game will be great! The game will be great!"
He exclaimed while fondly remembering his adventures in Dragon Age II, ME 3, The Old Republic and it's various expansions, and Dragon Age Inquisition.
"I can't wait..."
As he drifted to sleep, the release date drawing closer. Soon he will be pounced on by PB in all her Shrek-y beauty.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

But the majority of the reviews and impressions are positive?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also this is honestly pretty charming. Seeing AI companions end up in weird places is about the only reason to bring them along. Finding Roach in all kinds of crazy places was great in TW3. I just hope one day game developers learn to stop giving the player collision detection with their squadmates so they can't pin you into places :argh:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ein Sexmonster posted:

they're really not but ok

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The reviews are "Eh it's ok. Few problems here and there. Few things we liked."

It's going to be an astoundingly average game. Which is fine, I guess.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ein Sexmonster posted:

:tinfoil: : clearly John Walker didn't get that EA paycheck this time around

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
since its decided it will be horrible can we start calling it retard 4 hoping for a magical doom reveal?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

they're really not but ok
What negative press have you seen other than the RPS article and the Gamespot guy on Giant Bombcast?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

euthanize all gamers

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bud K ninja sword posted:

since its decided it will be horrible can we start calling it retard 4 hoping for a magical doom reveal?

We cannot get that monkey paw to open again no matter how disparaging we are. Doom is so good that it doesn't even make sense.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ein Sexmonster posted:

What negative press have you seen other than the RPS article and the Gamespot guy on Giant Bombcast?

I think what he is getting at is they have not been glowing reviews, mediocre at best. Not "THIS GAME loving SUCKS AND SHOULD BE BURIED IN THE NEVADA DESERT NEXT TO E.T. ON THE ATARI 2600!" but they're definitely not slobbering all over the alien dong.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Game doesn't come out here until the 23rd... I wonder if I can use you all as guinea pigs and wait to pre-order on the 22nd?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I don't trust any review except Drews Reviews. Here's a review so you can get a feel for his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UXxdRG13M

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TBH it's a good sign that they released review copies at all; for a while the cancelled beta looked like a very bad sign.

We've seen the first couple hours now and hoo boy the writing doesn't look very good.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

orange juche posted:

I think what he is getting at is they have not been glowing reviews, mediocre at best. Not "THIS GAME loving SUCKS AND SHOULD BE BURIED IN THE NEVADA DESERT NEXT TO E.T. ON THE ATARI 2600!" but they're definitely not slobbering all over the alien dong.
I don't mean to say everything is perfect- I think we're all well aware that the animations are, in fact, hilariously bad. But Polygon, Kotaku, Eurogamer, and IGN all had generally good things to say.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I don't mean to say everything is perfect- I think we're all well aware that the animations are, in fact, hilariously bad. But Polygon, Kotaku, Eurogamer, and IGN all had generally good things to say.

Don't those particular companies tend to say generally good things about everything? Like, the lowest review they'll give something is a 7/10?

I'm pretty sure I saw a panel from one of those that said the game had a lot of bugs and crashed a lot more than they'd like.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arglebargle III posted:

TBH it's a good sign that they released review copies at all; for a while the cancelled beta looked like a very bad sign.

We've seen the first couple hours now and hoo boy the writing doesn't look very good.

Define bad? I literally just jumped into this page after reading the op.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Polygon, Kotaku, Eurogamer, and IGN all had generally good things to say.

hahaha

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hopterque posted:

Yeah.

He directly calls out this character's VA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo14cfpfp2E

as being a bright spot in that preview, and it's loving laughably bad.

He's seriously like Bizzaro.

like he sorta almost gets the salarian voice right, but most of that is filters, he sounds like he doesnt give a poo poo and is just playing standard dickhead boss.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The reviews are "Eh it's ok. Few problems here and there. Few things we liked."

It's going to be an astoundingly average game. Which is fine, I guess.

my guess is it will get the dragon age inquestion treatment. it has some good and bad parts. story could be better, some side quests/ loyalty quests and characters are great but others are only ok. combat is fun. 8 out of 10. i am sure i will like it enough.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Don't those particular companies tend to say generally good things about everything? Like, the lowest review they'll give something is a 7/10?

I'm pretty sure I saw a panel from one of those that said the game had a lot of bugs and crashed a lot more than they'd like.
The IGN preview from the press event said that yea- but the same reviewer said performance was fine in the MP build at PAX, and the performance from the various streams seems pretty good, although I only saw the PS4Pro and PC versions streamed myself.
What's your point?
You said people weren't being positive, I asked a serious question because I want more perspectives- I'm not actually convinced the game is going to be good or anything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Define bad? I literally just jumped into this page after reading the op.

They cancelled the multiplayer beta.

But people have had good things to say about the multiplayer and what we've seen matches up with that.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I will not stand for slander against Kumail

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Milky Moor posted:

it sucks that there's only two possible problems that can create dramatic evens in two big galaxies :(

Nice false dichotomy ya got there. He's got a point. Bioware has a problem where if they introduce <interesting historical conflict or problem> the player MUST solve it or find the long lost answer to it, instead of just letting it be a characteristic of the setting that informs people's behavior

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The IGN preview from the press event said that yea- but the same reviewer said performance was fine in the MP build at PAX, and the performance from the various streams seems pretty good, although I only saw the PS4Pro and PC versions streamed myself.

What's your point?
You said people weren't being positive, I asked a serious question because I want more perspectives- I'm not actually convinced the game is going to be good or anything.

I hope it will be good and it looks ok. It's Mass Effect and long as it's not broken garbage I'll probably play it but keep in mind almost all of the footage we've seen has been from the first mission (which is going to have had the most polish of any part of the game put into it) and other sections Bioware has carefully selected as ok to show in reviews.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nice false dichotomy ya got there. He's got a point. Bioware has a problem where if they introduce <interesting historical conflict or problem> the player MUST solve it or find the long lost answer to it, instead of just letting it be a characteristic of the setting that informs people's behavior

do you think they could make more problems from different sources? or other interesting historical conflicts or problems?

i've heard writers can make things when they use their imagination. as always, your username remains incredibly apt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think they've avoided that with Tevinter and the Qunari so far in Dragon Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lemming posted:

The problem isn't with Polygon, it's that your expectations of the aptitude of video game reviewers is too high

It's about mlg no scopes in video game journalism