Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Got Tales from the Borderlands through PS+, it's not poo poo. Worth downloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Is Dragon Quest Heroes and or Dragon Quest Heroes 2 any good?

I did not care much for 1. The other musous I played around the time were definitely better (one piece pirate wariors 3 and samurai warriors 4)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn only has one significant flaw, but it is a very big, potentially crippling one.

So we must turn to fanart to rectify it

https://twitter.com/CritterOfHabit/status/863189792187531264

I'm almost certain that in the next game Aloy will learn the magic of friendship through some kind of robo-pet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn only has one significant flaw, but it is a very big, potentially crippling one.

Sorry, but this is dumb and stupid.

It should clearly register as "BEST FRIEND".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Open world Games without Dog Companions 🙅🏻‍♂️🙅🏻

That's that poo poo I don't like

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
An open world game where you ARE the dog companion

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

An open world game where you ARE the dog companion

It's called Okami.

Issun, Wakka and Sunano-o are clearly the heroes

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

JBP posted:

Got Tales from the Borderlands through PS+, it's not poo poo. Worth downloading.

Yeah I like it so much I'm gonna get a whole bunch of more Telltale games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

E2M2 posted:

Turn back

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Seriously. That was the last one I liked.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Wolf Among Us is pretty good.
But yes Tales of the Borderlands is the best telltale game I have played.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sefal posted:

Wolf Among Us is pretty good.
But yes Tales of the Borderlands is the best telltale game I have played.
Yeah that's my other favorite by far.

I finished Game of Thrones but felt like it was just jerking me around for no good reason, and I never finished Batman because it wouldn't let me go full outlaw.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

E2M2 posted:

I wouldn't.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Telltale game rankings:

Borderlands>Walking Dead Season 1>>>>>Wolf Among us>>>>>>>Everything else>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Game of Thrones

(Admittedly I've only played Walking Dead Season 2 in the everything else but I haven't heard anything good about anything else)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's a shame that Borderlands is the best one. I do like that I don't feel like going to kill screen someone the same way as Walking Dead. You just elect to be a dickhead or not depending on what you want to see play out.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Telltale game rankings:

Borderlands>Walking Dead Season 1>>>>>Wolf Among us>>>>>>>Everything else>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Game of Thrones

This is extremely accurate. Everybody should give Tales from the Borderlands a shot.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I just did not like Tales from the Borderlands, the game sections were lacking - standard for telltale - but nothing about the games humour worked for me, now granted I only played episode 1 but it was almost offended me with how dull it was.. uhhrgh

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That's fair. not everybody will like the same game.
But Tales from the Borderlands is the game that made want more of the borderlands universe and prompted me to buy the handsome collection.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The greatest crime Tales of Borderlands committed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Macarius Wrench posted:

I just did not like Tales from the Borderlands, the game sections were lacking - standard for telltale - but nothing about the games humour worked for me, now granted I only played episode 1 but it was almost offended me with how dull it was.. uhhrgh

I don't know, I can deal with being yelled at by David Puddy all day.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

Is Dragon Quest Heroes and or Dragon Quest Heroes 2 any good?

Yes very

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regy Rusty posted:

Telltale game rankings:

(Admittedly I've only played Walking Dead Season 2 in the everything else but I haven't heard anything good about anything else)

Tales from Monkey Island had some okay moments, and the Sam and Max games were generally pretty decent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macarius Wrench posted:

To be sure, if the humor doesn't work for you it's probably not going to appeal. For me after having played WD2 and GOT it was refreshing for a telltale game to be a story that didn't rely on non-stop misery and indiscriminate character death to generate drama. Tales from the Borderlands is a fun exciting adventure and I like that about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tales from Monkey Island had some okay moments, and the Sam and Max games were generally pretty decent.

My knowledge of Telltale's older titles is totally lacking - I was only talking about the modern post walking dead style of game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think this image might have some spoilers in the dialogue. :/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought their Back to the Future game was pretty good. However I honestly haven't played a game by them I dislike yet. On the one hand there are plenty I haven't played, on the other hand I've played what is supposed to be their​ worst game and liked it so :shrug:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Yeah if the humour isn't doing it for you that game is a write off, I loved Borderlands 2 as well played through it solo and with a friend so yeah just not for me.

Walking Dead S1 was alright as well, probably one of the few videogames I've cried at but that was back when episodic games were a cool novelty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I feel like Telltale really caught lightning in a bottle with TWD1 because nothing they've done before or since have impressed me. I know a lot of people enjoy Tales from the Borderlands but the setting and humor of BL really doesn't appeal to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really liked Wolf Among Us because besides being a murder mystery it's a story of a government waking up to being awful. It gave me hope that maybe real governments can too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Telltale really caught lightning in a bottle with TWD1 because nothing they've done before or since have impressed me. I know a lot of people enjoy Tales from the Borderlands but the setting and humor of BL really doesn't appeal to me.

The writers leaving after TWD1 might have something to do with that... :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Almost certainly it did but other studios somehow manage to recover and sustain talent from project to project.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macarius Wrench posted:

Walking Dead S1 was alright as well, probably one of the few videogames I've cried at but that was back when episodic games were a cool novelty.

It also helped that each chapter is pretty visual distinct, even if you end up in similar situations in most of them you're always moving to new locations. WDS1 was a perfect storm of good writing and clever mechanics, as well as the novel factor being a big appeal.

I really liked Wolf at the Door 'cause I love the Fables IP but I feel like Telltale did something really landmark out the gate: modernize an adventure game and find a format that it can sell in--and then sort of let that very rapidly stagnate, which is why they've got far less buzz. Until Dawn really took their concept and pushed it even further, and Telltale needs to get a bit more innovative I think, or at least do more to try and add unique elements to their future titles if they want to remain relevant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It also helped that each chapter is pretty visual distinct, even if you end up in similar situations in most of them you're always moving to new locations. WDS1 was a perfect storm of good writing and clever mechanics, as well as the novel factor being a big appeal.

I really liked Wolf at the Door 'cause I love the Fables IP but I feel like Telltale did something really landmark out the gate: modernize an adventure game and find a format that it can sell in--and then sort of let that very rapidly stagnate, which is why they've got far less buzz. Until Dawn really took their concept and pushed it even further, and Telltale needs to get a bit more innovative I think, or at least do more to try and add unique elements to their future titles if they want to remain relevant.

Telltale needs to build an engine that isn't almost a decade old and buggy as hell. And clearly being half-fudged on the old inventory-driven version used for games like Tales of Money Island or Sam and Max.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the near-identical format of every Telltale game really undercuts their narrative goals. Once you've played a few of them the story beats become painfully predictable, which is something you absolutely do not want to happen in a story-driven game that's meant to keep the player guessing. Oh look, another flashpoint where I have to choose which of two characters to save. Oh look, I'm making a monumental decision that's just going to be reversed 5 minutes later. Until Dawn's horror movie format was a brilliant move because even though there are only a few select points where the characters can die, the knowledge that they CAN all die maintains tension throughout.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^That's not true. In game of Thrones particularly you can have a much different group of people left alive by the end. It has actual consequences, but bizarrely seems hated the most, often by people with that very complaint.

exquisite tea posted:

I hate the setting humor in the BL series, but the telltale game is not that humor, and it makes fun off the setting nonstop.

You couldn't make me play another BL, but Tales from was just great.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 15, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To this day I haven't hated a telltale game other than game of thrones, but I also haven't loved one since TWD season 1. Borderlands was pretty good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I always do this whenever Telltale is brought up, but give Life is Strange a try. I thought it blew Telltale's games out of the water, with the possible exception of TWD1. Then again, LiS didn't have bugs that would break all your current and future save files like the PC version of TWD.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Renoistic posted:

I always do this whenever Telltale is brought up, but give Life is Strange a try. I thought it blew Telltale's games out of the water, with the possible exception of TWD1. Then again, LiS didn't have bugs that would break all your current and future save files like the PC version of TWD.

Is there a spoiler free hint you can give me to not have that happen? That's been on my backlog for a long time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Not really. I played it on PC so hopefully there's no problem with the PS4 version.

For me it just happened when I started a new game. It would completely disregard my choices when switching chapters, so dead characters would suddenly be alive. The choices didn't even mine up with my old saves. And at one point it suddenly refused to load chapters.

They are known problems but were never fixed. I think it has something to do with the game keeping saves and other files in two folders. Steam synq might have been partially to blame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, been wanting to go back to Horizon but I never got all that far in it. When can I get the storage upgrades? Having to decide what to keep was killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can start crafting them immediatly.