Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I just looked on a site I'm obviously not going to give a name to.

You can kinda figure it out from those image urls lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahhh invite only site :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Actually she's Big Bertha:

I thought she was Thwomp because she has spikes and her shoes say "Thwomp" on them. Either way, that's a really crazy interpretation.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Jesus, I can't believe you guys are making me consider buying Super Mario Bros.

The kind of insane disaster that is Super Mario Bros. is a very rare thing. A lot of people don't understand the concept that bad movies can have good things or even still be worth watching.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I picked up the Taxi Driver 40th anniversary blu at Target for $7.99. It's supposed to have a great transfer and that's cheaper than Amazon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

DrVenkman posted:

It's about time someone did something with GROSSE POINTE BLANK. I have no idea why that and HIGH FIDELITY have such terrible releases.

I was so excited to see those two released on blu, only to think "ehh, the DVD is fine." after seeing reviews.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I thought she was Thwomp because she has spikes and her shoes say "Thwomp" on them. Either way, that's a really crazy interpretation.

It's even weirder. The shoes themselves are Thwomp.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem is that most of the transfers Disney made in the early 2000s are crap. Pretty much anything they released had problems with DVNR, edge enhancement, etc.

Movies like Gangs of New York and The Life Aquatic were notorious for having lovely video masters due to overprocessing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's even weirder. The shoes themselves are Thwomp.

I thought maybe Thowmp was supposed to be the brand name and the shoes were the big shoe from Mario 3 that you can ride around in.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Thwomp Luigi II Lows

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Prizzi's Honor will be Kino's first Disney license release.

Also, they'll be releasing five Bob Hope films (licensed from Freemantle Media) later this year: My Favorite Brunette, Road to Rio, The Lemon Drop Kid, Son of Paleface and Road to Bali.

The next four Warner Archive releases are S.O.B., World Without End, Demon Seed, and Finian's Rainbow (all coming in March).

It's been confirmed that Criterion will be releasing Robert Altman's California Split.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Prizzi's Honor will be Kino's first Disney license release.

Also, they'll be releasing five Bob Hope films (licensed from Freemantle Media) later this year: My Favorite Brunette, Road to Rio, The Lemon Drop Kid, Son of Paleface and Road to Bali.

The next four Warner Archive releases are S.O.B., World Without End, Demon Seed, and Finian's Rainbow (all coming in March).

It's been confirmed that Criterion will be releasing Robert Altman's California Split.

And still they deny me a blu-ray release of the Green Slime.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

And still they deny me a blu-ray release of the Green Slime.

It got a DVD release, so it'll be a matter of time. Warner Archive is up to releasing one Blu-Ray a week now on average.

Also looks like Universal gave Best Buy another round of exclusives, consisting of Brewster's Millions, Fahrenheit 451, and Major Payne for March.

They're also re-releasing Peter Jackson's King Kong in an ultimate edition with both the theatrical and extended cuts, as well as all the DVD extras.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

They're also re-releasing Peter Jackson's King Kong in an ultimate edition with both the theatrical and extended cuts, as well as all the DVD extras.

Does this also come with a trash can you can throw the whole thing into?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey! Peter Jackson's King Kong is my dog's favorite movie!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

Yea.

It also leads straight into my Blu Ray collection!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
That Song of the South copy looks neat but gently caress having to explain why that's on my Plex.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While it's neat that someone did an HD scan of Song of the South, it's a pity they seemed to just do a straight one-light scan.

Dye-transfer prints need to be scanned at a much lower contrast to avoid black crush, which is what's going on. Barely any shadow detail. It's not even difficult with Tech prints since Thunderbean's Gulliver's Travels disc was from a dye-transfer print and has near-perfect contrast.

Kind of a shame, really, since Disney actually has 4K scans of the camera negative on the shelf.

CPL593H posted:

I liked it. Even saw it in the theater, though I used the worm/spider scene as an opportunity to take a leak.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That Song of the South article linked earlier was a great read, despite the fact I've never seen the film (and don't have any real interest in doing so).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

While it's neat that someone did an HD scan of Song of the South, it's a pity they seemed to just do a straight one-light scan.

Dye-transfer prints need to be scanned at a much lower contrast to avoid black crush, which is what's going on. Barely any shadow detail. It's not even difficult with Tech prints since Thunderbean's Gulliver's Travels disc was from a dye-transfer print and has near-perfect contrast.

Kind of a shame, really, since Disney actually has 4K scans of the camera negative on the shelf.

Yeah I've noticed some color movies from that era end up looking like that- even though I believe at that time most Technicolor movies still had a Technicolor representative on set dictating the design/lighting/etc. to avoid things getting muddy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

What does this mean? Google isn't being helpful.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Spatulater bro! posted:

What does this mean? Google isn't being helpful.

Basically it didn't have colors (grading) adjusted for each scene. It was just set up once and scanned in its entirety... it'll look sharper than you're used to, but colors and contrast is going to be meh.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

That Song of the South copy looks neat but gently caress having to explain why that's on my Plex.

epic post/avatar combo

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

zenintrude posted:

Basically it didn't have colors (grading) adjusted for each scene. It was just set up once and scanned in its entirety... it'll look sharper than you're used to, but colors and contrast is going to be meh.

So coloring is accounted for at the scan step? I did not know that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raw scans are usually washed out due to contrast being set for maximum detail (a midpoint) rather than color or brightness. In color grading, color and contrast are adjusted. If you scan a negative, you have to watch for it shot by shot. Interpositives or prints are easier since color levels is built in and just needs fine tuning for each reel.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know when that site is open? Really want that 35mm.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

epic post/avatar combo

I got it for hating hard on people telling normal humans they should use Kodi instead of Plex. Every extra :10bux: goes into the kid's college fund, so it stands.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does anyone know when that site is open? Really want that 35mm.

That site is very, very hard to get into. Like, unless you know someone, you ain't getting in.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Raw scans are usually washed out due to contrast being set for maximum detail (a midpoint) rather than color or brightness. In color grading, color and contrast are adjusted. If you scan a negative, you have to watch for it shot by shot. Interpositives or prints are easier since color levels is built in and just needs fine tuning for each reel.

There's a How It's Made segment about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4aZ5fCqLf8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheScott2K posted:

I got it for hating hard on people telling normal humans they should use Kodi instead of Plex. Every extra :10bux: goes into the kid's college fund, so it stands.

Kodi is legit better for most applications than Plex tho

Like, yeah, if you have a NAS then Plex is the way to go full stop, but I just use Kodi to present all the random poo poo on my external in an orderly Netflix-esque fashion and it does fine at that for free and without quite as much fuckery as Plex

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Edit: thread does not need this derail

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 13, 2017

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/05/song-of-south-disneys-loaded-gun.html?m=1

This is a good article by probably the best Disney historian alive. Worth a read.

Quoting this post because this article really is a great read.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Buy 2 get 1 free deal at Target. Keep in mind they have Criterions.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Seriously though Disney needs to release What About Bob

Hell, throw it up as a Movie Club exclusive I don't care

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory is releasing their Pink Panther set on June 27th instead of April.

The reason has to do with them working on new scans for some of the films and also getting new interviews. The set includes The Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, The Return of the Pink Panther, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Revenge of the Pink Panther, and Trail of the Pink Panther.

Amazon has it up for preorder for only $64:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Pink-Pan...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$4.99 - Stand By Me (weirdly only as an add-on item) https://www.amazon.com/Stand-By-Me-...16e8c7523d792e0
$4.99 - The Other Guys https://www.amazon.com/The-Other-Gu...9896cce1379badd

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Apparently the Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex blu ray sets are bad. The subs are just the dub script, no mid-episode chapters (so you can't skip the opening), and apparently the English audio track has random Japanese spliced into it. Supposed to look good though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Apparently the Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex blu ray sets are bad. The subs are just the dub script, no mid-episode chapters (so you can't skip the opening), and apparently the English audio track has random Japanese spliced into it. Supposed to look good though.

Well, poo poo.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
They go in and out of stock, but the Korean GitS SAC sets aren't much more expensive, use the same 7-disc setup the Japanese sets had, and include the dub and proper subs. Only thing they lack is a signs track for the dub, but considering the domestic ones also lack that, it's not really a loss at this point.

https://www.kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods.jsp?good_seq=20946
https://www.kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods.jsp?good_seq=20947

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dubbed anime is for baka gaijin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

Well, poo poo.

Can someone explain how this happens? Do they not take a few random samples off the production line and have someone sit down and watch the things to make sure they are at least competent? I don't understand. If it was a disc with 23 special features and the dub for special feature 19 was slightly off, that's one thing. But this seems hard to imagine happening if anyone paid any attention.

• Locked thread