Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, nothing wrong with aged hops in a lambic, but the worst beer i've ever had was a saison made with old hops and holy poo poo did it smell like feet (covered with powdered cheez).

That's because they age them past the gross phase. They're aged 2-3 years generally.

I just opened my second to last bottle of Anchorage's The Tide and It's Takers, a triple aged in chardonnay barrels with brett. Holy loving poo poo, the best beer I've ever had. Huge complexity from sweet banana/vanilla from the triple with overlying oak and chardonnay with light tartness and funk from the Brett. Wow. I am buying any I see on the shelves from now on, especially since Shelton Brothers pulled out of NJ and Anchorage is distributed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Shortbus posted:

You're lucky. My beer guy emailed me when it came in. I'm guessing you're in CO. (KC here). I paid $14 vs $9 for a 750 or $11 for a 4 pack of Tank 7. I've paid a lot more for far worse beers.
Yeah, it's definitely a decent beer and I'm always a fan of variety. Not trying to poo poo on it or anything, I was just surprised it was still arriving elsewhere.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Captain Shortbus posted:

Odell Celestrina Saison just landed on the shelf. It won't stay there long. Odell is purely incapable of making a bad beer. It's a completely different Saison than Tank 7, with a bit more sweetness, but it's every bit as good to drink.

It's pretty solid but a bit expensive. I enjoyed having a glass on tap, but I wouldn't buy it regularly. I found it tasty but wouldn't put it as really outstanding or something.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Midorka posted:

That's because they age them past the gross phase. They're aged 2-3 years generally.

I just opened my second to last bottle of Anchorage's The Tide and It's Takers, a triple aged in chardonnay barrels with brett. Holy loving poo poo, the best beer I've ever had. Huge complexity from sweet banana/vanilla from the triple with overlying oak and chardonnay with light tartness and funk from the Brett. Wow. I am buying any I see on the shelves from now on, especially since Shelton Brothers pulled out of NJ and Anchorage is distributed by them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA, I just had that tonight too. In fact, I was going to send you a bottle in the BIF, but you said you don't like sours and I thought it would have been too sour for your taste.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Midorka posted:

a triple aged in chardonnay barrels with brett

:tviv:

I need

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

swickles posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA, I just had that tonight too. In fact, I was going to send you a bottle in the BIF, but you said you don't like sours and I thought it would have been too sour for your taste.

Too sour? Nah. I love Brett, I just don't like super sours. The most sour beer my tongue has appreciated was a 2007 Bon Chien.

@Tenacious, I'd trade you but since Shelton is done distributing here for a while I'm going to hoard this. It shouldn't be hard to find though in it's distribution network.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Having 2xStout on nitro for the first time right now. OMG! That is all.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Having 2xStout on nitro for the first time right now. OMG! That is all.

did i send you one of those a while back? i really liked it at first, but the bottles fell of a cliff faster than most beers i've encountered, so maybe i didn't.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Chicagoons: Get to Haymarket and get the ADHA 483 Experimental Pale. New, unnamed hop. Tastes like Citra crossbred with a loving passion fruit. This is gorgeous. And only Peach Humidor Jai Alai smells better.

Seconded. Its awesome, go check it out if you're in town.
In more boring news Matilda is still delicious. Is there anything else I should try that is similar?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Midorka posted:

I've not seen this in NY yet, but I checked out their website and read their...description?

Sam Calaglone posted:

This is an unshored ale. Wild and Remote; there's a beer where the sea used to be. I believe there will be many takers for this tide. It begins with a soft and spicy floral nose. The brett notes are measured and reverberate around the lemon-cream-pie hops like ripples around a buoy in a beam sea. Wood notes drift and float by and bring a bit of vanilla toward the end but mostly the wood does the important work of softening the heat of a multi-phase fermentation that is three fathoms deep. Putting a snifter of this beer up to your lips is like putting a conch shell up to your ear. Living right up against the Atlantic Ocean here in Delaware nothing says welcome home to me so much as the rhythmic crashing of an incoming surf on land and I get that familiar feeling while drinking The Tide and Its Takers. Like a powerful ocean you cannot take this beer for granted. It's complex, it has a lunar-pull that makes you reflexively go for the next sip, and it puts you in the right mood to appreciate life and nature's bounty. To paraphrase folk-punk Michelle Shocked, You know you're in the largest state of mind in the union when you're anchored down in Anchorage. Cheers!
-Sam Calaglone, President & Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Mmmmk.

Has anyone ever had the Galaxy White IPA by Anchorage? I see that one all the time but have not picked it up.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 13, 2013

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

swickles posted:

Brett doesn't always imply sour, but more earthy and funk character (see Orval, Rayon vert). Some strains of brett can be sour, but for most part, it's due to another yeast like lactobacillus.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

air- posted:

Brett doesn't always imply sour, but more earthy and funk character (see Orval, Rayon vert). Some strains of brett can be sour, but for most part, it's due to another yeast like lactobacillus.
Less relevant to the beer being discussed but its even possible to get super juicy tropical fruit out of brett as the earthy, musky flavors are associated with stressed brett from long term aging. So the guys making brett IPAs aren't actually insane.

Brett has gotten painted with some pretty broad strokes due to Orval and casked real ale that has gone off but its oddly versatile.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

I've not seen this in NY yet, but I checked out their website and read their...description?

Mmmmk.

Has anyone ever had the Galaxy White IPA by Anchorage? I see that one all the time but have not picked it up.

Galaxy White was pretty weak, though I didn't have it fresh. Whiteout Wit and The Tide and It's Takers are out of this world good though.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
So who else is going to visit Ubik today? I'm loading up a cooler of stuff to share, and looking forward to it. I would love to stop by Haymarket and try that experimental IPA afterward, CHAOS is also having their barbecue today, which was a lot of fun last year, getting trashed on the best homebrew I've ever had.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

umop apisdn posted:

So who else is going to visit Ubik today? I'm loading up a cooler of stuff to share, and looking forward to it. I would love to stop by Haymarket and try that experimental IPA afterward, CHAOS is also having their barbecue today, which was a lot of fun last year, getting trashed on the best homebrew I've ever had.

I'll be there! Just got into Chicago, gonna kill some time and then head to the brewery. Brought a cooler full of stuff to share.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ithaca Flower Power dry-hopped with Citra is on cask at my bar. All the positive buzz about Flower Power and Citra hops makes me want to try.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

A few weeks ago I was asking for recommendations of English style barleywines that would be easier to get than Sucaba. Somebody mentioned Arcadia Cereal Killer. I had one last night at a little bit below room temp, and it was really good. So thank you, whoever you are!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

umop apisdn posted:

I'll be there too. Might have to take it easy, as I had quite a bit last night, though I'll have a few things to share.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

zedprime posted:

Less relevant to the beer being discussed but its even possible to get super juicy tropical fruit out of brett as the earthy, musky flavors are associated with stressed brett from long term aging. So the guys making brett IPAs aren't actually insane.

Absolutely, brett only gives off a lot of funk if it's stressed, ie pitched in secondary or at bottling. As a primary fermentation strain, brett is very clean which complements hops nicely. I haven't had a commercial brett IPA, but plenty of delicious homebrew.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

did i send you one of those a while back? i really liked it at first, but the bottles fell of a cliff faster than most beers i've encountered, so maybe i didn't.

You did not. (BTW Southern Tier distributes in OR but the non-comedy-flavor varieties seem to be quite rare, so this was a great surprise for me.)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Mikey Purp posted:

Mmmmk.

Buy all bottles of all Anchorage beers; drink them fresh or aged. Even their weakest beers are really tasty and interesting imo. I've had some fairly sour batches of Tide and its Takers, but Love Buzz is probably my favorite. I really like the Galaxy White IPA, too. The hops are very present fresh, but I think it ages into a different sort of beer that's still very good.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

On the train to OTC now for the goose island meetup! Haulin a backpack full of beers and anxious to lighten the load a bit.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Awesome tasting last night:

3 week old Pliny (thanks Capt. Awesome!) - The real strength of this beer is how well it hides its 8% abv. I think Heady Topper is better, but there's a reason why this beer gets hyped.

Struise Kabert - Really good beer. Roasty port. Very complex, would be great to drink around a campfire. Wish I had more bottles.

2012 Cantillon gueuze - My bottle might have been a little oxidized but it was otherwise tasty like usual.

Founders CBS - At first it tasted like a really nice coffee stout with just the hint of barrel on the backend, but as it warmed it tasted a *lot* like Hardywood GBS, those same ginger type flavours. Great beer, but not exactly a maple bomb.

3 Floyds/Surly Urine Trouble - So much pineapple. One of the strangest beers I've had in a while. Did not get nearly as much pee smell/taste as expected. My group took forever to come up with a consensus on how to describe it.

Bourbon County Rare - I was going to save this until next year then I thought, gently caress it, I should drink it while I know it's still good because who knows what another year in the closet will do. This is the pinnacle of what Bourbon County can be, and still incredibly delicious. Would I pay or trade what it costs to get another bottle? Probably not, but a really wonderful beer that I hope everyone gets a chance to try while it's still good.

2008 Dark Lord - The last time I had this was two years ago and it was really good, was really cherry heavy with that ever so syrupy feel. This one however was very "meaty" and didn't have a whole lot of cherry. Wish I could recapture what I tasted two years ago because back then it was magical.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guys, just to confirm, I should be going to 1800 West Fulton Street, right?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Guys, just to confirm, I should be going to 1800 West Fulton Street, right?

Yes. I'll be there in a little under an hour I think.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

Yes. I'll be there in a little under an hour I think.

Cool. I thought I was going to be super early but now I'm stuck in horrible traffic so I guess I'll probably be right on time!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

crazyfish posted:

FYI, apparently New Glarus's newest thumbprint Wild Sour is now available in stores.

As someone who just bought two cases worth from Woodman's Kenosha, I can verify this.

Sadly, I won't be able to make the tour / bottle share. Just too much going on today.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Any homebrewers/pros more familiar with Mosaic hops? Are there any widely distributed beers brewed with them? My two new favorite Texas IPA's are Community Mosaic IPA and Lone Pint Yellow Rose - both single hopped with Mosaic, and their scent/flavor with the super clean bitterness makes for IPA's totally unlike others brewed locally.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

air- posted:

Any homebrewers/pros more familiar with Mosaic hops? Are there any widely distributed beers brewed with them? My two new favorite Texas IPA's are Community Mosaic IPA and Lone Pint Yellow Rose - both single hopped with Mosaic, and their scent/flavor with the super clean bitterness makes for IPA's totally unlike others brewed locally.

Mosaic is the hot new hop. Been seeing it in a ton of beers around Portland lately. Someone I know said, "it tastes like passionfruit and good weed. What's not to like about that?" To me, it combines some of the best qualities of Simcoe with added stone fruit and tropical fruit.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

air- posted:

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA has Mosaic and Citra hops I believe..

Sorry Chicago folks, but I wont be able to make the share today... Family event started earlier than I had planned. Have fun!

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
NoDa Imperial Coco Loco - drat this beer is delicious. I've had their regular and this one is just as good. Super smooth. I don't think the coconut comes through quite as much on the imperial, but it's still there, and it finishes with a little heat and a great nutty flavor. Only strike against is that there's bits of crystallized coconut actually floating in the beer...which is a little off-putting. They basically melt in your mouth, but it's a weird look and a strange texture. Especially on the first sip when I didn't know they were there, hidden in the foam.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Just cracked a Funkwerks Solena and :stare: This is a really, really good beer. It's labeled simply as a Belgian-style Ale, but it has some Brett in there somewhere. It's strongly floral and grassy on the nose with a Serta MemoryFoam-style head. It has apple, caramel and grass notes on the taste with real solid Brett spiciness and no real apparent sourness and finishes dry and bitter. There's a bit of additional malt right up front and that candied apple note definitely stands out in the middle of the taste; honestly this really reminds me of my hike today and sitting by a lake at 11.5K ft while eating apple slices and smelling ~mountains~. The mouthfeel is very full bordering on somewhat creamy but it's not really heavy or chewy.

Just goddamn, it's incredibly drinkable and really flavorful. Basically, never not Funkwerks. Really excited to go to their brewery in two weeks with some friends.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Just got back from the Bruery, place was great. Met a really nice dude who pretty much dropped all sorts of knowledge about what places to go to next.

I understand the complaints about the pricing of their bottles but their flights are great and inexpensive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Eejit posted:

Just cracked a Funkwerks Solena and :stare: This is a really, really good beer. It's labeled simply as a Belgian-style Ale, but it has some Brett in there somewhere. It's strongly floral and grassy on the nose with a Serta MemoryFoam-style head. It has apple, caramel and grass notes on the taste with real solid Brett spiciness and no real apparent sourness and finishes dry and bitter. There's a bit of additional malt right up front and that candied apple note definitely stands out in the middle of the taste; honestly this really reminds me of my hike today and sitting by a lake at 11.5K ft while eating apple slices and smelling ~mountains~. The mouthfeel is very full bordering on somewhat creamy but it's not really heavy or chewy.

Just goddamn, it's incredibly drinkable and really flavorful. Basically, never not Funkwerks. Really excited to go to their brewery in two weeks with some friends.
Man, I passed over this at the store last week for other things. I guess now I'll have to go back. And yeah, we'll have to grab that pint at Crooked Stave at some point - I'm out of town for a bit now, but will be back in August.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hauki posted:

Man, I passed over this at the store last week for other things. I guess now I'll have to go back. And yeah, we'll have to grab that pint at Crooked Stave at some point - I'm out of town for a bit now, but will be back in August.

Yeah man, whenever and wherever you'd like. Crooked Stave I feel is the Denver hometown superstar, but there are tons of other legitimately good places down here, too. River North is ramping up bottling and distro and they should be up your way pretty soon, keep an eye out for them.

Also yes, definitely grab a bottle of Solenna. Not A+, but definitely an A on that one.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Tired Hands We Are 138 is what a black/brown IPA should be. Mild roast and cocoa on the intro into a strong and smoothly transitioned pineapple backed by caramel with a light pine bitterness. The finish lingers of pine and dark chocolate and really sticks for a while. Great beer.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

Tired Hands We Are 138 is what a black/brown IPA should be. Mild roast and cocoa on the intro into a strong and smoothly transitioned pineapple backed by caramel with a light pine bitterness. The finish lingers of pine and dark chocolate and really sticks for a while. Great beer.

They really do hoppy dark beers right. I'm not the biggest Black IPA fan, but TH's are usually very good.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Any pro tips for packing beer in checked luggage for a flight? Stumbled upon some rarities and I couldn't hold back and now I've gotta figure out how to get them home in one piece (and full)...

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Just gonna leave this here....

That's how we roll in Chi-City.

There were only 7 of us, and we're not completely insane, so we didn't crack every bottle. Standouts included:

Bells Eccentric Ale: 1994 vintage, almost old enough to drink itself. It was surprisingly not terrible, the autolyzed yeast actually added an pleasant woodiness to it. I've had much newer beers that were much more awful. This was the oldest beer I think any of us had ever had. Thanks Sirotan

3F Oude Geuze: My first time trying it, and poo poo, now I'm hooked. Just an amazing sour, I felt like the each sip brought out a new characteristic

Jai Alai with White Oak: Really impressed me, and pretty much everybody else. Most people are rightfully wary of wood aged IPA's, but this somehow was able to capture a bit of barrel character, and still come off as a super fresh, pinapple-y IPA.

FFF/Surly Urine Trouble: This was my contribution, so I may be a bit biased. Once you get over the name, it's an imperial IPA with Brett. I didn't know what to expect, but it was certainly pleasant. Not something I could see myself drinking every day, but a unique experience. Tasted like somebody mixed Zombie Dust with Saison Brett.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock: Another first time for something I have kept my eye on. Like a carbonated fruity port, very unique. Probably would make a better ice cream topping than beverage.

New Glarus ThumpPlugged (that's what I'm going to call it) beers: Leafhouse brought not only Raspberry Tart, but also the Berliner weise and the wild sour. They were all awesome, I think the wild sour was the best. I don't even remember if we opened the Raspberry Tart.

The only things that weren't any good were the Frangelic Mountain Brown (Ugh), and the growler of Strawberry Short's Cake I brought back to try and salvage that brewery's reputation. I guess I'll keep trying. Also not pictured was the horizontal of different versions of Pipeworks Abduction I brought and we decided not to open. There's always next time.

Also had some truly excellent homebrew from Ubik and Crazyfish, you guys put me and my bottle gushers to shame.

All things told, a great evening! I had a really good time meeting you all, Sirotan, Crazyfish, Ubik, and Leafhouse. Special thanks to Ubik for putting together the tour of the brewery, and giving us all a reason to get together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepper bologna
Dec 31, 2005
A man among mushrooms

Retemnav posted:

NoDa Imperial Coco Loco

I am assuming you live within/near the Charlotte metro but they have recently started to tap the regular Coco Loco on nitro. I would agree that I like the Imperial more but the nitro is definitely worth checking out. NoDa has been putting out some solid beers since they have opened, I feel as though they have the best chance of the Charlotte region breweries to "make it" (however one wants to define that).