Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

HEY GAL posted:

or german i guess, which is a place where people write angry books about the genitive case

This one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Wheelock's supremacy, yo. Seriously, probably the best textbook I ever used and it's dirt cheap, too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FishFood posted:

Wheelock's supremacy, yo. Seriously, probably the best textbook I ever used and it's dirt cheap, too.

Sounds like a 16th century tactical treatise.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FishFood posted:

If you're learning Latin for a college language requirement or are an actual child, I think the Oxford and Cambridge Latin courses are fine and might even be preferable. If you're teaching yourself in order to read classical sources, Wheelock's is the best choice, since its main source passages are adapted from classical authors rather than made-up stories about Roman families and Roman boys dealing with bullies and stuff. Or was the best, I learned from it many editions ago.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I like the idea of a book that teaches you a language written in the language it's trying to teach you--that sounds like an interesting approach. But the Wheelock's sounds like it has passages from actual Latin sources, which strikes my fancy, and has so many years of good use behind it, I think I'll probably go in that direction. New for $12 is hard to beat, too, as far as price goes. Now whether I'll have the discipline to really teach myself, I don't know...but any kind of intellectual exercise like that will probably bear some fruit, even if I never end up reading Catullus or Ovid in the original Latin.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Strange Aeon posted:

I like the idea of a book that teaches you a language written in the language it's trying to teach you--that sounds like an interesting approach.

Well, that's every native language schoolbook, isn't it?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well, that's every native language schoolbook, isn't it?

You're probably right, I just don't know anything about learning languages really! It sounded like a novel approach to me since I don't remember exactly how I learned English as a kid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A Strange Aeon posted:

You're probably right, I just don't know anything about learning languages really! It sounded like a novel approach to me since I don't remember exactly how I learned English as a kid.

Your brain works differently as a kid. As an adult pure exposure doesn't work, trust me I've tried. It is excellent for practice after you have a solid foundation but it not helpful to start that way.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can someone please tell me I've been lied to my whole life and that there are non-Roman contemporary sources for Cannae? I'd just love to know what some Greek guy in Asia thought about it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The period after Alexander and before Caesar is sadly kind of a black hole of sources. It bums me out because the Hellenistic period is obviously the raddest period. Buddhist Greek kings in Afghanistan :swoon:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really, really wish we had good records from the Central Asian Greek kingdoms. Or like, any records. Baktria and the Indian kings and all that poo poo. That's the most interesting Greek area/time period to me, maybe because know next to nothing about it. It had to have been just incredible. That was the first time you had such a massive shift in civilization and real extensive east-west contact.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I wrote a short paper on the Greco-Bactrians for an undergrad class and the lack of information is crazy. What little we know of their succession and politics comes almost entirely from coins, but what coins they are! Greek on one side, Sanskrit on the other, incredible detail, coins commemorating past kings and not just the current ruler...

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

FishFood posted:

I wrote a short paper on the Greco-Bactrians for an undergrad class and the lack of information is crazy. What little we know of their succession and politics comes almost entirely from coins, but what coins they are! Greek on one side, Sanskrit on the other, incredible detail, coins commemorating past kings and not just the current ruler...

Got any good books on them to recommend? I'll take anything on far eastern Greeks.

E: Hell I'll take mediocre-bad ones.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, phoneposting right now but when I get home I'll post them for you.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Cheers for that!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yes and all those kings on those coins look like time-travelling European explorers from the 19th century.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grand Fromage posted:

Your brain works differently as a kid. As an adult pure exposure doesn't work, trust me I've tried. It is excellent for practice after you have a solid foundation but it not helpful to start that way.

As far as I remember, learning multiple languages at a young age and onwards helps retain that plasticity that's useful for picking up languages by immersion.

I know a guy who does something fringe like historical/archeological architecture and he speaks (poorly) about 15 languages or so, after loving about in North Africa and the Middle East for 20-30 years.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Ok, it looks like my bibliography got nuked along with my old computer, but I found the three big sources. The first is WW Tarn's The Greeks in Bactria & India, which is, uh, outdated to say the least. He goes into some crazy flights of fancy based on the scraps of evidence that existed in the 30s (fun fact, there isn't a whole lot more now!) but reading him is pretty important for all the later scholarship. AK Narain's The Indo-Greeks is basically a response to Tarn and he spends a lot of time debunking him. I don't remember reading his entire book. My main source was Thundering Zeus by Frank L Holt. It's basically the definitive modern work on the subject. Holt goes through all the sources and archaeology to give a pretty good picture of the kingdom. It's pretty incredible what can be found from the limited material we have.

I know I'm missing a couple of other books (I had one detailed numismatic book, but I'm pretty sure I found it in Holt's bibliography) but those should get you started. As for ancient sources, Strabo talks about it a little bit and it's mentioned off handedly in a number of other writer's works, including Plutarch. Pompeius Trogus is the best source on the kingdom, but his history survives only as a glorified Cliff's Notes by another historian known only as Justin. Look for his epitome, that's the best written history of the whole drat thing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks for that. Personally I don't mind reading history written back in the colonial era. I tend to just have fun with it like it were a Robert Graves book.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So they found a lost chapter of the Epic of Gilgamesh. http://www.livescience.com/52372-new-tablet-gilgamesh-epic.html

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Fish of hemp posted:

So they found a lost chapter of the Epic of Gilgamesh. http://www.livescience.com/52372-new-tablet-gilgamesh-epic.html

That is so amazing. The Epic of Gilgamesh (heavily edited and turned into a children's book) was one of the first books I read. Certainly the earliest I have a memory of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fish of hemp posted:

It really frustrates me to think of all the things that have been just sitting unknown either in some smuggler's cache or (worse still) in the hands of a private collector, at least this one has been recovered, but how much other stuff is just hanging around collecting dust somewhere being seen by nobody (or one rich rear end in a top hat)?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Some private collector out there is reading lives of the famous whores.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
But enough about your mom's biography.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

A huge number of the Amarna letters got pulverized before anyone got a chance to see them. The people who found them originally transported them to market all on top of one another in wicker baskets on donkeys. Since they were made of clay, it's estimated that at best half survived the trip.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this thread open to discussing ancient alternate history?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Only if it's scholarly speculation on Atlantis.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
what if king arthur had a gun?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Roman Empire fell because of sword control. :colbert:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

what if king arthur had a gun?

I read that one. He electrocutes all of Merlin's knights because their plate armor conducts electricity.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

A PHILOSOPHER IS LECTURING HIS CLASS. HE STARTS IT BY SAYING: LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT, AND THAT IS THAT THE GODS DO NOT EXIST. A STUDENT, WHO IS A FORMER LEGIONNAIRE, RAISES HIS HAND AND-

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Agean90 posted:

A PHILOSOPHER IS LECTURING HIS CLASS. HE STARTS IT BY SAYING: LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT, AND THAT IS THAT THE GODS DO NOT EXIST. A STUDENT, WHO IS A FORMER LEGIONNAIRE, RAISES HIS HAND AND-

THAT STUDENT'S NAME WAS CINCINNATUS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jaramin posted:

A huge number of the Amarna letters got pulverized before anyone got a chance to see them. The people who found them originally transported them to market all on top of one another in wicker baskets on donkeys. Since they were made of clay, it's estimated that at best half survived the trip.

That's heartbreaking :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

sullat posted:

I read that one. He electrocutes all of Merlin's knights because their plate armor conducts electricity.
I'm pretty sure he just lassoes them non-lethally. The cartoon adaptation is canon! (The cannon is not canon)

In other news. I think someone did a detailed breakdown of all the things wrong with this cracked article in this thread (or elsewhere on the boards) but the very first item - a direct correlation between quality of medical science and the amount of respect medical professionals get - seems like the sort of "common sense" notion that sounds perfectly logical until you actually look at the data. What is the actual relationship between the two, if any?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Xander77 posted:

I'm pretty sure he just lassoes them non-lethally. The cartoon adaptation is canon! (The cannon is not canon)

He's talking about the big battle near the end of the book: knights vs a minefield, electrified barbed wire and Gatling guns.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

I like the idea of a book that teaches you a language written in the language it's trying to teach you--that sounds like an interesting approach. But the Wheelock's sounds like it has passages from actual Latin sources, which strikes my fancy, and has so many years of good use behind it, I think I'll probably go in that direction. New for $12 is hard to beat, too, as far as price goes. Now whether I'll have the discipline to really teach myself, I don't know...but any kind of intellectual exercise like that will probably bear some fruit, even if I never end up reading Catullus or Ovid in the original Latin.

There's a companion book for it you can get called 'Scribblers, sculptors and scribes' with extra stuff to read, matched chapter to chapter with Wheelock.

Only thing for some people to be aware of, if they have previous exposure to Latin, is that there are two ways to write noun cases in Latin. British people write them in the order nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative; Americans put the accusative just before the ablative instead. Having done a bit of Latin as a teenager at (a British) school, that took a bit of getting used to when memorising stuff using Wheelock.

Wheelock is quite heavy on formal grammar, too, which I personally prefer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

This is actually sometimes advanced as a partial explanation. The theory goes that since civilians weren't allowed to carry swords and poo poo they weren't able to do much against invaders if there weren't regular Roman forces to bail them out.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that sounds like an excuse to raise panic about modern politics by shouting THE PAST IS HAPPENING AGAIN to be honest.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The water is even making go regarded again. Well at least in Flint, Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Agean90 posted:

that sounds like an excuse to raise panic about modern politics by shouting THE PAST IS HAPPENING AGAIN to be honest.

See, you'd think that, but this was in actual academic work unrelated to that sort of thing. And I simplified it a whole lot.