Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gitro posted:

Yeah that all makes sense I guess, it's just he dickwags about having a philosophy PhD at the start and it's hard to believe that someone who ostensibly knows how to construct an argument doesn't realise what he's saying contradicts the point he's making as he's saying it. It's just :psyboom:

I didn't expect any amazing insights but I didn't expect that. He also says that for 10k+ years only two genders have served us fine, which is objectively false but hey, if reality was what he thought it was on that last point he'd be somewhat correct to assert it.

The recent "rationalist" movement is entirely made up of people too stupid to critically analyze their own beliefs and arguments.

Sax Solo posted:

The most charitable I can be is that he's talking about gender as an analytical framework, and NOT really the social construct and enforcement side of things where everyone goes in one bucket or the other. He's attacking the idea that we need more words and terminology for non-binary things, instead of just using the words we've got.

Why be charitable with these chodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Improbable Lobster posted:

The recent "rationalist" movement is entirely made up of people too stupid to critically analyze their own beliefs and arguments.

In order to disincentivize bad men from doing the bad things, you need to either reward punishers (to incentivize them to disincentivize the bad men from doing the bad things) or punish nonpunishers (to disincentivize them from failing to disincentivize the bad men from doing the bad things). But rewarding punishers is much cheaper than punishing nonpunishers, because there are much fewer of the former. Although not quite as much cheaper as you might think before you take into account the necessity of punishing nonrewarders of punishers.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Improbable Lobster posted:

RationalWiki continues to regret picking that name, and a brain for a logo. OTOH having picked the non-shithead side of the skeptical movement schism continues to poo poo these guys up the wall, which remains an endless amusement.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gitro posted:

The study he picked to support this point displays sex and gender as a loving spectrum. He even says "[there are gradients] of masculine and feminine, it's still a loving binary." But isn't that exactly what a binary system isn't? Am I missing some sort of technical definition? From what I can google and like, knowledge of what the word means, surely a binary system is one in which only two states exist. Like temperature isn't binary, because it's not just hot and cold or 0 or 100, and you wouldn't say pain is binary because something either hurts or doesn't. Regardless, if genders can exist on a spectrum between male and female, why can't that mean there are mid points that are neither definitely male or female, perhaps an expression of gender that does not neatly fall into either category, a 'non-binary' gender, if you will.

The comparison to temperature is really good, come to think of it. We all agree that "hot" and "cold" exist, but also that temperature is an actual range. The definition of what hot and cold means varies from person to person, and something hot for you may just be warm to someone else. Likewise, what masculine and feminine means can vary from person to person. We don't physically identify with our perception of temperature but it's not a big leap to see that if something is neither hot nor cold, people can also be something between masculine and feminine.

The problem, of course, is convincing people that it's fine for others to not strive for one of the extremes

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Peanut Butler posted:

holy poo poo that title

"Chapter One: You Are Going To Read 27 Pages About The Protagonist's Mom Waking Him Up For Breakfast On This The Day He Is Coming Of Age"

It's hilarious and fitting that the official writing style for fiction by Online Rationals has converged on "anime book about loving your sister in an MMO".

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Kit Walker posted:

The comparison to temperature is really good, come to think of it. We all agree that "hot" and "cold" exist, but also that temperature is an actual range. The definition of what hot and cold means varies from person to person, and something hot for you may just be warm to someone else. Likewise, what masculine and feminine means can vary from person to person. We don't physically identify with our perception of temperature but it's not a big leap to see that if something is neither hot nor cold, people can also be something between masculine and feminine.

The problem, of course, is convincing people that it's fine for others to not strive for one of the extremes

The problem is that temperature still undermines his argument as you also have:

Freezing, cold chilly, cool, lukewarm, warm, hot, roasting, etc. We do have names for all those in between bits, that guy's a bagel.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Progs create, reactionaries occupy: Jacobite, most certainly not a copy of any similarly-named commie rag, no no no.

quote:

The Dirtbag Left have become the cutting-edge of the ruling ideology; the spearhead of the establishment’s ongoing effort to mitigate the damage done by the counterculturalists. They become the primary organ of control, the filter through which alt-right ideas are presented to a wider, more polite audience in order to dissipate their radicalism. Indicative of this is the fact that the Chapo team feel free enough to append their own names to their “controversial” work. The denizens of #frogtwitter, on the other hand, intuitively understand the radicalism inherent to their act of self-positing. The dissenter is distinguished from the faux-dissenter by his genuine worry about being found out

just in case you were running short of bottom-of-the-barrel NRx blogs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

The problem is that temperature still undermines his argument as you also have:

Freezing, cold chilly, cool, lukewarm, warm, hot, roasting, etc. We do have names for all those in between bits, that guy's a bagel.

I think they meant it's a really good comparison in general, to use when talking to other people, not that it's a good argument for this moron.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

divabot posted:

RationalWiki continues to regret picking that name, and a brain for a logo. OTOH having picked the non-shithead side of the skeptical movement schism continues to poo poo these guys up the wall, which remains an endless amusement.

Honestly I think it's well worth refusing to surrender the concept of reason to the shithead caucus, so I wouldn't regret it even if it must be annoying.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In order to disincentivize bad men from doing the bad things, you need to either reward punishers (to incentivize them to disincentivize the bad men from doing the bad things) or punish nonpunishers (to disincentivize them from failing to disincentivize the bad men from doing the bad things). But rewarding punishers is much cheaper than punishing nonpunishers, because there are much fewer of the former. Although not quite as much cheaper as you might think before you take into account the necessity of punishing nonrewarders of punishers.

To ensure the future of humanity, it's of paramount importance that we re-organize society to be equal to the challenges and risks which now face us.

"Wow, well said. You know, a lot of other people have given this subject a lot of thought and study; I can recommend a few books to give you a good overview of wha..."

NO TIME GOTTA JUST POST EVERY GLORIOUS WORD IN MY BRAIN AND HOPE THE WORLD IS WISE ENOUGH TO LISTEN

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

divabot posted:

Progs create, reactionaries occupy: Jacobite, most certainly not a copy of any similarly-named commie rag, no no no.

It still astounds me that the people whose ideology is overrepresented within the government and who control most of the power socially and economically within the country as a whole think they're the counterculture

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ate all the Oreos posted:

I think they meant it's a really good comparison in general, to use when talking to other people, not that it's a good argument for this moron.

Oh, yeah, I was just talking about the moron who thinks that it is a good argument and that we don't need words for the in between bits when we just have two words already.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

divabot posted:

Dirtbag left is the whole Chapo thing, right?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Dirtbag Leftists are people who are mean to liberals on Twitter, as far as I can tell.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It's people who are cool with weed, but also cool with miscegenation. Just say no, fellow kids.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

ikanreed posted:

Yes.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Dirtbag Leftists are people who are mean to liberals on Twitter, as far as I can tell.

Kinda.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Gitro posted:

The study he picked to support this point displays sex and gender as a loving spectrum. He even says "[there are gradients] of masculine and feminine, it's still a loving binary." But isn't that exactly what a binary system isn't? Am I missing some sort of technical definition? From what I can google and like, knowledge of what the word means, surely a binary system is one in which only two states exist. Like temperature isn't binary, because it's not just hot and cold or 0 or 100, and you wouldn't say pain is binary because something either hurts or doesn't. Regardless, if genders can exist on a spectrum between male and female, why can't that mean there are mid points that are neither definitely male or female, perhaps an expression of gender that does not neatly fall into either category, a 'non-binary' gender, if you will.

Even in my field, binary logic circuits, you're still dealing with a spectrum of voltages, it's just that you throw in a shitload of what amount to infinity gain amplifiers which resolve everything above a threshold to 1 and everything below to a 0.

The value of doing this in digital design is that it helps to be able to reason in binary when you want to build a very, very complicated machine out of billions of logic gates.

But human beings are not logic gates.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Doc Hawkins posted:

To ensure the future of humanity, it's of paramount importance that we re-organize society to be equal to the challenges and risks which now face us.

"Wow, well said. You know, a lot of other people have given this subject a lot of thought and study; I can recommend a few books to give you a good overview of wha..."

NO TIME GOTTA JUST POST EVERY GLORIOUS WORD IN MY BRAIN AND HOPE THE WORLD IS WISE ENOUGH TO LISTEN

My new religion is called the Order of the Transparent Agent. (It's very important to know what your religion is! The reason there are no atheists in foxholes, is because it turns out that there are no atheists, full stop. The God-shaped hole in your head is going to be filled with _something_; you should at least _notice what it is_.)

As an adherent of the Order (get it? "order"?), you can do whatever you want as long as you take pains to describe what you think you're doing and why in clear language to other parties who may be affected by your actions. (Note: what constitutes "clear language" depends on your model of the other parties' vocabularies! If you disapprove of the behavior of another member of the Order, you can just say, "Look, I don't like what you're planning and am going to organize a coalition to stop you if you don't quit it." If speaking to a Blue Tribe member, you might want to appeal to the effects on one or more designated victim groups. If speaking to a Red Tribe member, you might want to insinuate that God is watching.

Insofar as you feel the need to dominate in zero-sum games, the game you should play is Bayesomasochism: shatter someone's self-aggrandizing narrative and replace it with something more scientifically accurate. This may manifest as what the authorities call a "psychotic break." (I prefer the term "realignment.") THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO IMPRISON SOMEONE UNLESS THEY ACTUALLY COMMIT A CRIME. It's true that not-imprisoning-people does involve a slight risk of them successfully committing suicide. loving DEAL WITH IT

PAIN IS A SIGNAL; SUFFERING IS DENIAL OF REALITY

STOP LYING

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My new religion is called the Order of the Transparent Agent. (It's very important to know what your religion is! The reason there are no atheists in foxholes, is because it turns out that there are no atheists, full stop. The God-shaped hole in your head is going to be filled with _something_; you should at least _notice what it is_.)

As an adherent of the Order (get it? "order"?), you can do whatever you want as long as you take pains to describe what you think you're doing and why in clear language to other parties who may be affected by your actions. (Note: what constitutes "clear language" depends on your model of the other parties' vocabularies! If you disapprove of the behavior of another member of the Order, you can just say, "Look, I don't like what you're planning and am going to organize a coalition to stop you if you don't quit it." If speaking to a Blue Tribe member, you might want to appeal to the effects on one or more designated victim groups. If speaking to a Red Tribe member, you might want to insinuate that God is watching.

Insofar as you feel the need to dominate in zero-sum games, the game you should play is Bayesomasochism: shatter someone's self-aggrandizing narrative and replace it with something more scientifically accurate. This may manifest as what the authorities call a "psychotic break." (I prefer the term "realignment.") THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO IMPRISON SOMEONE UNLESS THEY ACTUALLY COMMIT A CRIME. It's true that not-imprisoning-people does involve a slight risk of them successfully committing suicide. loving DEAL WITH IT

PAIN IS A SIGNAL; SUFFERING IS DENIAL OF REALITY

STOP LYING

How edgy :allears:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Haha, yeah, I'm a bayesian, used to be christian (kinda went through a period of forced hospitalization there, you know, like you do), but at least now I can be sure that I'M ON THE RIGHT PATH

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Baby Babbeh posted:

I don't think twitter realizes how easy Arthur Chu is to avoid, or else doesn't realize he's some dude who won on jeopardy and has boring left-centrist opinions and not the secret master of the Democratic Party who needs to be convinced of the rightness of a move left via ceaseless badgering.

Like seriously I do it every day just by not following him on twitter, it's so easy. He has no influence on anything and nothing he says matters.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

divabot posted:

Buy a banner ad already

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who doesn't work in statistics who describes themselves as "Bayesian" should be set on fire.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Anyone who doesn't work in statistics who describes themselves as "Bayesian" should be set on fire.

Degree Of Writing-Style Identifiability and the Extent To Which One Has Internet-Followers That Aren't Just One's Literal Friends Are Both Questions That Have Quantitative and In-Principle-Not-Hard-To-Measure Answers That Usually Are Not, In Fact, Measured; Or, the Phrase "Diëreses as Shibboleth" as Shibboleth: a Bayesian Exegesis

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think twitter realizes how easy Arthur Chu is to avoid, or else doesn't realize he's some dude who won on jeopardy and has boring left-centrist opinions and not the secret master of the Democratic Party who needs to be convinced of the rightness of a move left via ceaseless badgering.

Like seriously I do it every day just by not following him on twitter, it's so easy. He has no influence on anything and nothing he says matters.

I don't even know who that is so I guess I'm doing a super good job?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I don't even know who that is so I guess I'm doing a super good job?

See, my point exactly :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I love the idea that NORAD somehow has the flight plan for every single plane taking off and landing in the US. And that a plane being in the general area of at least three major airports is super unusual.

When I lived in the city I used to sit on the patio at a bar and watch 747's come in low over brooklyn, it happens all the time every single day.

also, post 9/11 norad has expanded to cover exactly this sort of thing! because it turns out nobody ever thought "jeeze what if someone steals an airplane and uses it as a giant fuckin cruise missile, we should be ready for it" before that, because it's insane

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

it's basically the alt-right but without the racism or fascism

its literally the left that exists in counterpoint to the american political left, except that the american political left doesnt court them for votes and actually tuts tuts about people wanting things like higher min wage and universal health care and not being polite to the right

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

divabot posted:

none of this post makes sense and also lmbo at dirtbag left being a tool of the establishment that they actively deride

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

none of this post makes sense and also lmbo at dirtbag left being a tool of the establishment that they actively deride

They ostracize me, a cool and hip outsider, therefore they are The Man.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

They ostracize me, a cool and hip outsider, therefore they are The Man.

how loving stupid do you have to be think the only way to defeat Neoliberalism is outright fascism and racism?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Race Realists posted:

how loving stupid do you have to be think the only way to defeat Neoliberalism is outright fascism and racism?

also that the head of the neoliberal establishment spear is people calling neoliberals cum drinking freaks

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You're trying to leave Scott without handy bad examples! Soon he'll have to hark back to that feminist at college who made him hate feminists again, and this time someone might ask him to specify what the actual thing he did that pissed them off so much in fact was.

Degree Of Writing-Style Identifiability and the Extent To Which One Has Internet-Followers That Aren't Just One's Literal Friends Are Both Questions That Have Quantitative and In-Principle-Not-Hard-To-Measure Answers That Usually Are Not, In Fact, Measured; Or, the Phrase "Diëreses as Shibboleth" as Shibboleth: a Bayesian Exegesis

loving what.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

divabot posted:

loving what.

Connie is not helping with our culture's crisis of masculinity

Doug is like, "I don't see the serious Action that you do with Steven or your mother does at the hospital; I'm just your useless, silly dad" and Connie is like, "Yeah"

Steven is the only useful male character, and even he's an honorary girl

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Doug is like, "I don't see the serious Action that you do with Steven or your mother does at the hospital; I'm just your useless, silly dad" and Connie is like, "Yeah"

you do this thread a great service, but

how do you find this poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why would an alt-right type spend the time to actually learn about Steven Universe, I'd think the show would be inherently disgusting to them

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

it's basically the alt-right but without the racism or fascism

So like a BLT without bacon, lettuce, tomato, or bread?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Why would an alt-right type spend the time to actually learn about Steven Universe, I'd think the show would be inherently disgusting to them

basically the question is, do you want to be Dagny Taggart in the school play at an all-boys school, or do you want to be Eddie Willers in the school play at your actual high school

both schools deserve to exist (I mean, your actual high school doesn't deserve to exist, but its analogue in a nearby alternate universe that puts on _Atlas Shrugged_ as its school play, probably does)

the question is, how do we allocate measure between them

I don't know what you want to do with your measure; that's not for me to decide

he's doing the SSC "I'm not a nazi but as a rationalist I've decided the only issue that matters is that trans women aren't women" thing

I'm putting most of mine on Eddie Willers, and frantically correcting all the BLATANT LIES in the playbook

it's not the MOST fun I could be having, but it's still pretty fun overall

and, you know, I like Eddie Willers

he's honest

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

divabot posted:

you do this thread a great service, but

how do you find this poo poo

You don't want to know how sausages are made. Just enjoy the taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Being on Tumblr is sufficient. I've never watched a minute of Steven Universe and picked up enough just reading Tumblr to understand the post.

Bogan King posted:

You don't want to know how sausages are made. Just enjoy the taste.

yes well, there's a certain problem with that last sentence.