Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Way late in following this up, but it seems to me that when Bandai's tried to turn MG into the de facto 1/100 line for whatever TV show is currently airing, it hasn't gone particularly well for them.

Certainly, I don't see any room for both the existing 1/100 IBO line and MGs of the exact same subjects, at least not at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Let me know when they get a Strike Eureka :australia:.

Bimmi posted:

Way late in following this up, but it seems to me that when Bandai's tried to turn MG into the de facto 1/100 line for whatever TV show is currently airing, it hasn't gone particularly well for them.

Certainly, I don't see any room for both the existing 1/100 IBO line and MGs of the exact same subjects, at least not at this point in time.

I doubt we'll see an MG line for IBO because of the way they're all mechanically designed with individual armor plating over a core inner frame and the 1/100 line for it doing the same role.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's a weird situation that series is in now, because the improvements MG would bring aren't really going to be significant enough to warrant another, semi-redundant kit line. I'm just glad they've been giving it any attention at all in that scale.

Know what I miss? Those cheap 1/60 scale kits we were getting back around SEED days. They weren't always great, but it was nice to have a choice of something big but not stupidly expensive.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I most certainly hope the IO Shiden makes it into the 1/100 scale because the hg is the bees knees.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bimmi posted:

Wasn't AGE the only time they put out MGs while the series was still airing?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They did it for 00 (if you consider "released Exia on the year the show finished" anyways), AGE, BF, and Unicorn.

We know 00 and AGE bombed, but BF and Unicorn did well by all accounts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

They did it for 00, AGE, BF, and Unicorn.

Unicorn got MG's while it aired, didn't it?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...Yes?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlitzBlast posted:

They did it for 00 (if you consider "released Exia on the year the show finished" anyways), AGE, BF, and Unicorn.

How do we know 00 bombed hard? Aside from the GNX, all the 00 suits that got MGs got RGs years later, which I can't imagine Bandai would do for suits that bombed as MGs.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Unicorn got MG's while it aired, didn't it?

Are we counting white it aired to mean before the last novel came out, or during the seventeen years between the first and last episodes of the OVA? Unicorn isn't very comparable to other standard TV Gundam series in terms of release schedules.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
When I went to the Bluefin warehouse sale last year, they had shitloads of every BF MG that wasn't the Build Strike left over after everything else had been picked clean. SO many Dark Matters and Astray Sengokus. It was not pretty.

They had a bunch of Deathscythe and Wing Zero ver.EWs left behind too, which might explain why all the Wingdings since then have been online-only.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

To be fair the BF kits were retools and it took 4 years for Unicorn to finish.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The reason we never got more 00 MGs is because 00 model kits in general didn't do great. It was kinda similar to SEED where only Setsuna's stuff got any real traction, and that honestly might have just been because it was the lead Gundam.

It's honestly a pretty good argument for P-Bandai, because one of the problems the line faced were endless minor variants that shelfwarmed.

Bimmi posted:

When I went to the Bluefin warehouse sale last year, they had shitloads of every BF MG that wasn't the Build Strike left over after everything else had been picked clean. SO many Dark Matters and Astray Sengokus. It was not pretty.

I don't doubt that (Astray really doesn't seem as popular in the west, and Dark Matter is just dumb in general), but the only thing that's really relevant to the matter at hand here is how they did in Japan. I don't know any stories offhand of the BF MG line failing, and actually I've mostly heard the opposite. v:shobon:v

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 19, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Unicorn also did insanely well and was targeted to older fans so it's natural that they'd make mg's of it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't doubt that (Astray really doesn't seem as popular in the west, and Dark Matter is just dumb in general), but the only thing that's really relevant to the matter at hand here is how they did in Japan. I don't know any stories offhand of the BF MG line failing, and actually I've mostly heard the opposite. v:shobon:v

It was still fairly shocking, considering how those four were literally the only MGs at the sale that were present in any great number (apart from a few Gundam 3.0s, which all sold eventually.) The only other MGs that sat around as long were from AGE, though being older there were far fewer of those, and even they sold eventually.

I did see quite a few people walking out with the DSH, but there were still well over a dozen of the things left by the time I checked out. Nobody wanted the Wing Zero, apparently.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 19, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

The reason we never got more 00 MGs is because 00 model kits in general didn't do great. It was kinda similar to SEED where only Setsuna's stuff got any real traction, and that honestly might have just been because it was the lead Gundam.

Didn't the lovely 1:100 HG's for Gundam 00 kinda poison the well for the 00 MG's too?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Bit of a stretch to call those kits lovely, especially for the time. I think the demand for 00 MGs simply wasn't and isn't there.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bimmi posted:

Bit of a stretch to call those kits lovely, especially for the time. I think the demand for 00 MGs simply wasn't and isn't there.

I wish they had done the Setsuna suits and then one of the other Gundams before deciding that. If you only make MC suits and then one random mass production bad guy suit, of course only Setsuna's stuff is going to sell well.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought that the 00 model kits sold quite well, the problem was that they over saturated the market with having a trans-am version of every suit.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
Soo...where do you guys order your kits? I've just started building and am realizing that Amazon (which doesn't have the greatest selection under Prime) and local hobby shops (they're great for supplies but I experience high markup and selection issues there) really aren't going to cut it. I see a bunch of sites but have no idea as to their validity.

Also, I just finished building the Turn 'A' Gundam and I love how unorthodox the design is compared to the rest of the franchise; it's design looks like if Tastsunoko developed MSG in the 70s. But it doesn't look like there have been any recent HG models made from it (and the other suits I've seen aren't as impressive). Any more unusual ones in that same vein?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wish they had done the Setsuna suits and then one of the other Gundams before deciding that. If you only make MC suits and then one random mass production bad guy suit, of course only Setsuna's stuff is going to sell well.

I'm sure they took sales of earlier kits into account. And the GN-X was a fluke inasmuch as it only happened because some dude at Bandai specifically wanted it, or so the story goes.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Monaghan posted:

I thought that the 00 model kits sold quite well, the problem was that they over saturated the market with having a trans-am version of every suit.

At least with SEED the phased down variants were P-Bandai or something similar.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Suzaku posted:

I've got Cherno Alpha with Gipsy on the way, but I don't think I'm going to have time for them anytime soon with a baby imminent.

I can say that Cherno has a good amount of detail to at least run a wash over, and the decals are waterslides limited to markings. And I think the on off switch did the leds is in the top of the head, so you won't be able to seal all that together. It didn't look like the seams will be bad on the kit at all from a cursory glance.

There are LEDs?! Oh snap

Is "running a wash" really just as simple as "take a dark brown or black oil paint, thin to water thinness with mineral spirits, brush over everything, wipe clean and let grim accumulate"? I honestly haven't really done one before and if I'm doing this for a friend, I want to really make it look good.

tenderjerk posted:

Soo...where do you guys order your kits? I've just started building and am realizing that Amazon (which doesn't have the greatest selection under Prime) and local hobby shops (they're great for supplies but I experience high markup and selection issues there) really aren't going to cut it. I see a bunch of sites but have no idea as to their validity.

Also, I just finished building the Turn 'A' Gundam and I love how unorthodox the design is compared to the rest of the franchise; it's design looks like if Tastsunoko developed MSG in the 70s. But it doesn't look like there have been any recent HG models made from it (and the other suits I've seen aren't as impressive). Any more unusual ones in that same vein?

Gundam Planet is very good stuff. With the yen as it is, their prices are basically the same as Japan direct, which used to be a good way to save like ten bucks. These days the only way to save via Japan purchasing is using SAL small parcel, and that means a million boxes and thus the cost is probably equal if not higher over time.

I just finished the HG Turn A and if there's a suit in need of a Revive, it's one. The seams are not friendly on the forearm parts and the shoulders just flop around, kinda.

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 19, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've seen some pictures of bandai's newer instructions and thank god they finally started translating the color guides. Back in the day, I remember having to look at this big list of japanese to english colors translation that I copied off of some forums and try to match the kanji.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MJP posted:

There are LEDs?! Oh snap

Is "running a wash" really just as simple as "take a dark brown or black oil paint, thin to water thinness with mineral spirits, brush over everything, wipe clean and let grim accumulate"? I honestly haven't really done one before and if I'm doing this for a friend, I want to really make it look good.

It can even be simpler than that. Just get a premade wash, like Citadel Shade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQsiv41Enw

With a bigger model that has a lot of flat surfaces, like a Gunpla, you might want to just apply the shade to the recessed areas, and clean up any slop with a q-tip.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I would actually kill for an MG Dynames. Sadly I doubt it will ever happen :(

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I was a little surprised that we got (nearly) all the major supporting Gundams from SEED in MG, but that show is always going to be something of an outlier.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I feel like the MG SEED vRM line was mostly sold on the gimmick of "here are these classic SEED designs... redesigned by BEECRAFT!!!"

You know, like MG Wing vEW.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're like me and couldn't place what the Lunagazer was actually based from, it's a Hyaku-Shiki.

Which frankly just makes it even sadder, because why not just start with the Stargazer and work from there instead of this half-assed sad mess? It doesn't have the HS's fancy paint job, and the "ring" is a sad imitation of the Stargazer's, so it isn't winning on either side of the equation.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'd much rather have MGs of reconguista.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're like me and couldn't place what the Lunagazer was actually based from, it's a Hyaku-Shiki.

Which frankly just makes it even sadder, because why not just start with the Stargazer and work from there instead of this half-assed sad mess? It doesn't have the HS's fancy paint job, and the "ring" is a sad imitation of the Stargazer's, so it isn't winning on either side of the equation.

The backpack makes it look like its standing in front of a house. What a mess

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which frankly just makes it even sadder, because why not just start with the Stargazer and work from there instead of this half-assed sad mess?

You know, I'm not impressed with NAOKI's output either but quite frankly you're blowing this way out of proportion.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does the Lunargazer come with the Stargazer backpack too? I've seen it with it a few times.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I like the design of the Lunagazer's body, but holy hell, that backpack is just sad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It looks fine folded up and in flight mode.

The attempt at making a ring looks horrid, but that's just what happens when you force a gimmick.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does the Lunargazer come with the Stargazer backpack too? I've seen it with it a few times.

No, but it's compatible. Gotta make people buy two kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

It looks fine folded up and in flight mode.

The attempt at making a ring looks horrid, but that's just what happens when you force a gimmick.

Except the ring is the whole point of a Stargazer custom, which is why we're all lumping poo poo on it. Any other part of it is just a budget Hyaku-Shiki that someone didn't have the money to finish the gold paintjob on.

BizarroAzrael posted:

No, it's just people slapping the one from the Stargazer kit on to show that it'll fit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlitzBlast posted:

You know, I'm not impressed with NAOKI's output either but quite frankly you're blowing this way out of proportion.

It's garbage, he's a garbage man who makes garbage

Did this happen because the dude realized both the Stargazer and the Hyaku Shiki had the unarmored lower leg thing?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except the ring is the whole point of a Stargazer custom, which is why we're all lumping poo poo on it.

I really shouldn't try and argue this with you since you're pretty obviously not actually thinking about this much, but what the hell.

The Lunagazer is, as the name implies, based on the Stargazer. That is why it has the Stargazer's color scheme. Why would it be entirely gold like the Hyaku Shiki?

Furthermore, you of all people should be extremely familiar with NAOKi's designs by now considering how much you bitch about them. Lightning, Mega-Shiki, Lightning Zeta, Leopard Da Vinci, ZZII, Amazing Strike Freedom, Lunagazer: you know what they all have in common? Besides looking a poo poo ton like the Delta Gundam, they drop the original design's most notable gimmick.

If your entire complaint is "this NAOKI design sure is a NAOKI design" then no poo poo. It's fine if you don't like it, but harping on and on about it for entirely arbitrary reasons is beyond silly.

EDIT: And before you ask, no, NAOKI doesn't deserve a pass on the sameness of his designs just because it's his style. But you also can't hold it up to be some sort of objective failure with the design anymore than I can't claim that all IBO designs are poo poo because nobody in that universe has figured out waist armor.

Simmer down on the bile a bit more and your posts will look a lot less kneejerky.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 20, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really like how the gold lines on the Stargazer's shoulders continue into the chest vents. That's a neat way to take a standard Gundam thing and turn it into part of a unique design

BlitzBlast posted:

I really shouldn't try and argue this with you since you're pretty obviously not actually thinking about this much, but what the hell.

The Lunagazer is, as the name implies, based on the Stargazer. That is why it has the Stargazer's color scheme. Why would it be entirely gold like the Hyaku Shiki?

It's not based on the Stargazer, it's just a Hyaku Shiki with the Stargazer's color scheme. And the colors applied with a lot less thought than went into the Stargazer

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well to be even more exact it's literally just a Hyaku Shiki with the Stargazer's special systems bolted onto it (no seriously), but that's not what I meant by based.

Would "The Lunagazer is supposed to look like the Stargazer" work better?

EDIT: Oh yeah, now that I think about it the BF manuals are translated now so everyone can read the flavor text. Behold:

I like how this minor blurb tells us more about her character than the entirety of Try Fighters.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've had multiple cases where I drop a part and spend a couple of minutes searching for it (carpet sucks for this). I've never lost a piece but what do you do if it's just damage it beyond repair or it's disappeared? I can't imagine there's a way to get individual pieces so are you just poo poo out of luck?