Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Crypto prices crashing is exciting for GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Apollodorus posted:

So I've been putting together some $1000 build lists and planning to pull the trigger soon, but apparently in the last 10 days the prices on GPUs have climbed by $200+; the GTX 1060 I'd wanted to get, for instance, was $269 but is now $499.

Is there even a point to building a desktop anymore?

As a follow-up, it looks like a Dell XPS is around $1030 with these components:

i5-8400
8gb 2666Mhz DDR4
256gb PCIe x4 SSD
GTX 1060 6gb DDR5

Whereas from PCPartpicker it appears that a system with equivalent components (M.2 SSD though) is about $985.

Honestly, the time it would take to order everything separately, wait for it to arrive, unpack it, and then assemble a desktop is worth $45 to me. Plus, the XPS comes with a keyboard and mouse--not to mention a warranty.

Is it still that dumb to buy a prebuilt system? I know that the refurb route is also viable, and if I'm okay with a last-gen system then I could get something like this for about $975:

i7-7700
16gb M.2 PCIe Optane
1TB 7200rpm HDD
8gb 2400mhz DDR4
GTX 1060 6gb GDDR5

I guess my real question would be--is the i7-7700 superior to the i5-8400 in general use cases and gaming, or is an 8th-gen better with all other things being equal?

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Buy the prebuilt, if you're buying something soon with all the crazy prices. I'm in the same boat right now, looking to buy within the month. I may go with one of the microcenter ones with a 1070 though.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Crypto prices crashing is exciting for GPUs.

The only bad part will be deciding if I want to risk buying a used GPU. I don't trust miners to not have been running them sealed in a blast furnace for an extra $.004

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.

bbcisdabomb posted:

The only bad part will be deciding if I want to risk buying a used GPU. I don't trust miners to not have been running them sealed in a blast furnace for an extra $.004

Seeing all the GPU prices today makes me sick. Seeing all the RAM prices today makes me sick.
However, for me, I have to buy all my son’s parts new. I have bought a used GPU in the past for cheaper but it immediately died on me.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Anything within reason, not interested in the absolute high end.

I think it's time to pull the trigger. I've already got Windows 10 and a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold power supply.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($200.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.55 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $972.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-17 13:05 EST-0500

1) My plan is to stick with my current 1080p monitor and Radeon HD 7950 for the moment, and upgrade to 1440p/144Hz/G-Sync in 6-12 months or so when GPU prices fall.
2) My understanding is the CPU will come with it's own cooler and that will be enough, right?

Any feedback or suggestions welcome. I just kind of randomly picked the case. Thanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
CPU cooler will be fine out of the box; you might have heating problems if you turn on all-core enhancement or whatever Asus is calling it right now.

Get the Meshify C and not the Define C; largely the same case with a mesh front panel for better airflow and temperatures.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If the build is just for gaming you should probably save ~$100 and get an i5-8400 instead. Also look at crucial m.2 drives which run ~$30 cheaper than their Samsung counterparts. Put that money towards the gpu/monitor instead

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Arivia posted:

Get the Meshify C and not the Define C; largely the same case with a mesh front panel for better airflow and temperatures.

Just did this and saw a big drop in temps. Pretty impressed with the Meshify.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Arivia posted:

CPU cooler will be fine out of the box; you might have heating problems if you turn on all-core enhancement or whatever Asus is calling it right now.

A thing to note is that the Meshify C is a bit louder due to the open front compared to the Define C.

Temperature: Go Meshify
Noise: Go Define C

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
NZXT S340 elite seems like a good middle ground between fractal define and meshify.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hello, complete idiot here asking for help picking a graphics card. My trusty old Radeon 7850 has apparently shat itself, black screens whenever I try to reinstall drivers/launch Windows with them, happened out of nowhere.
Computer used to be a gaming PC quite a few years ago, the mainboard is MSI Z77A-GD55, socket 1155 (whatever that tells you - I know it's a limiting factor when picking up a new graphics card but don't know what part exactly).

I'm looking for a graphics card that can handle new games at 1080p (although not necessarily at max settings - the previous one served well in that regard) that could carry me over the next couple years before I really have to replace the computer. Can't really afford a new computer right now so suggestions to get a new motherboard don't really solve anything.

I think the old motherboard will be the biggest limiting factor here so there's not much point in setting a budget; do note, however, that I'm in the rather backwards Czech Republic so my access to hardware options might be somewhat limited.

tl;dr: need a gaming graphics card that would work on an MSI Z77A-GD55, socket 1155 motherboard. Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

anilEhilated posted:

tl;dr: need a gaming graphics card that would work on an MSI Z77A-GD55, socket 1155 motherboard. Any advice would be appreciated.

PCIe devices will negotiate speed, so you can put a PCIe 3.0 card on a PCIe 2.0 board without issue. Look at a 1050 Ti 4 GB or something similar.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hello.

I'm trying to build a small-as-reasonably-possible box to serve as hosting for CPU-intensive activities as well as media serving. No GPU is required but I need a strong CPU, space for at least one 3.5 drive and one 2.5 drive.

First question: Case. Most m-ITX cases are built to allow for a GPU which is not really necessary, but if there are no other good options I can live with that - if necessary I can jerry-rig the GPU space to hold a 3.5 drive or two. What are good options here? Based on the options I've seen I'm leaning towards the Fractal Design Node 202 because I love their cases, but again it's probably bigger than I need.

Second question: Power supply. Seems like every decent SFX power supply is 400W or higher which I won't need, even with slamming the CPU hard. Are there good options for something more for my use-case? My laymans knowledge is that I want a gold rating or higher, or is it okay to go with bronze for this kind of build?

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX H270I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $815.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-18 02:40 EST-0500

I don't actually need an unlocked processor, but this has good speeds and I'm able to get a good CPU+Mobo deal at my local microcenter. I'd love recommendations on a good CPU cooler that's quiet and will fit in a case like this. Should I get case fans, or will the CPU cooler be enough for a build like this? Also if there's any good recommendations on decent memory that has okay performance that is cheaper.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Don't even consider anything Intel earlier or slower than a i5-8400. You also probably don't need that overrated Noctua cooler anyway, just use the included stock 8400 cooler.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Overrated?

I assume you don't want to drop big :10bux: on crowdfunded SFF cases. The SilverStone Milo ML05 eg. would be a bit smaller (7 liters, vs. the Node 202's ~11) for a mini-ITX board, SFX PSU and the optional low-profile GPU. It also has a multipurpose bracket for a slim optical drive or 3.5" HDD.

Oversized power supplies are no big deal, the Corsair SF450 is the better option there, though.

You say you want a strong CPU, does your software scale well with additional threads? If so, consider using AMD's Ryzen (eg. Ryzen 5 1600 with 6C/12T or Ryzen 7 1700 with 8C/16T), otherwise go for the new i5-8400 (6C/6T) on something like the Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac (no cheaper chipsets for the 8th gen. Intel stuff yet), don't bother with 7th generation Intel CPUs at this point.

Regarding case fans, it depends on your case but since you're planning to run without GPU you probably don't need one.

For CPU coolers, the CPU's boxed cooler should suffice but if you want something quieter or run into issues with temperatures, the Noctua L9i (or L9a-AM4 for Ryzen) is the safest bet for really low profile cases, with the option to replace the attached A9-14 fan with the full height (25mm) A9 PWM. Depending on the case you end up with, there might be other options. But they're all more expensive and unlikely to be required.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Of course my 750ti chooses now to die.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Liquid Communism posted:

Of course my 750ti chooses now to die.
Welcome to my hell, friend.

I managed to recently get this for less than $200: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137054

It was thanks to the "notify me when this item comes available" button (from Newegg themselves) but I'm not seeing it on the page at the moment.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

Welcome to my hell, friend.

I managed to recently get this for less than $200: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137054

It was thanks to the "notify me when this item comes available" button (from Newegg themselves) but I'm not seeing it on the page at the moment.

I'm going to take a whip 'round the local stores today, hopefully living in the middle of nowhere will mean someone's got something on the shelf.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Titan XP are now cheaper than 1080ti, this is getting ridiculous.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Is there a consensus best 500GB SSD? Any reason to not get an Evo for $140?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Is there a consensus best 500GB SSD? Any reason to not get an Evo for $140?

The Crucial MX500 has dethroned the Evo 850 in overall perf/GB/$, assuming you are able to find it at the same or cheaper price.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Sweet thanks. Just some context: my SSD is having problems and cause of graphics card prices I don't wanna build a new machine now so I'm hoping to replace my SSD and do a build whenever they drop :laffo:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

pthighs posted:

Any feedback or suggestions welcome. I just kind of randomly picked the case. Thanks.

Why spend the extra $40 for an m.2 850 over a 2.5" drive?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Taffer posted:

Hello.

I'm trying to build a small-as-reasonably-possible box to serve as hosting for CPU-intensive activities as well as media serving. No GPU is required but I need a strong CPU, space for at least one 3.5 drive and one 2.5 drive.

First question: Case. Most m-ITX cases are built to allow for a GPU which is not really necessary, but if there are no other good options I can live with that - if necessary I can jerry-rig the GPU space to hold a 3.5 drive or two. What are good options here? Based on the options I've seen I'm leaning towards the Fractal Design Node 202 because I love their cases, but again it's probably bigger than I need.

Have you looked at a used/referbed 1U rackmount server? Depending on what you mean by CPU intensive tasks an old Xeon will give you great performance for the few hundred dollars you can pick them up for. While a 1U isnt as small as a proper mini-ITX its a very slim system that you can hide away. You wont get current gen single thread performance but youre not gaming on it and I assume you want to keep the cost down.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I just spent a bit over $300 for an rx 570. I don’t know how I feel. Is it a decent card for someone during this gpu crisis? If not I’ll just return it I guess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

I just spent a bit over $300 for an rx 570. I don’t know how I feel. Is it a decent card for someone during this gpu crisis? If not I’ll just return it I guess.

It's a decent card for games in 1080p somewhere between a GTX 1050 Ti and a GTX 1060, closer to the latter. In a world without crypto miners, paying over $300 would buy you the faster 1060 but in this crazy time, it's a relatively normal price for it I guess. If you just need *a* video card, the GTX 1050 Ti 4GB is cheaper and not quite as overpriced (yet) at the same time. The RX 570 is almost 50% faster though, if you actually need the performance.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 18, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

orcane posted:

This is all fantastic information, thanks very much!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sweet thanks. Just some context: my SSD is having problems and cause of graphics card prices I don't wanna build a new machine now so I'm hoping to replace my SSD and do a build whenever they drop :laffo:

Newegg heard you were looking to buy a SSD:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11172763-500gb-samsung-850-evo-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-130-free-shipping

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

I actually ordered the MX500 for around the same price on Amazon with free shipping in 2 days :getin: Thanks though! Now, the joy of doing a fresh Windows install.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

I noticed this RAM has Z170 in the name: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170

Does that mean it won't work with a Z370 motherboard?

Edit: Hmm, I found the QVL list for the motherboard and it has this: F4-3000C15D-32GVR but not the specific one above.

Edit2: The 3200 version is on the list and only :10bux: more so I'm going with that

pthighs fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 18, 2018

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($204.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $956.82

Critique me, folks. After looking at finances again I decided my budget was about $1500. My last $1300 build 4.5 years ago lasted me well, but it's time to get that sweet satisfaction of building a new baby.

E: My Crucial MX500 actually already shipped so I might just keep that instead of returning. Savings of $30 or so.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 19, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pthighs posted:

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

I noticed this RAM has Z170 in the name: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170

Does that mean it won't work with a Z370 motherboard?

Edit: Hmm, I found the QVL list for the motherboard and it has this: F4-3000C15D-32GVR but not the specific one above.

Edit2: The 3200 version is on the list and only :10bux: more so I'm going with that

On the one hand there should be no difference between memory that works in a Z170 and 270 and 370, but on the other hand it's always a good idea to buy something on the qualified vendor list.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($204.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $956.82

Critique me, folks. After looking at finances again I decided my budget was about $1500. My last $1300 build 4.5 years ago lasted me well, but it's time to get that sweet satisfaction of building a new baby.

Looks okay but I'd change the power supply to a gold 80+ unit. Those CX/builder PSUs from Corsair aren't the worst but they're also not terribly good. I'd usually suggest an EVGA G3 but they're way overpriced right now for some reason.
Here's a seasonic 650W:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R7V48d/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm
Corsair TX 650W:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na
Rosewill CAPSTONE 750W (don't buy the G750 just the 750):
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JYxfrH/rosewill-power-supply-capstone750m
Seasonic 750W:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gWbwrH/seasonic-focus-gold-750w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-750fm

I own a couple of CAPSTONE units and a seasonic and a corsair tx and they've all been reliable for me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rexxed posted:

On the one hand there should be no difference between memory that works in a Z170 and 270 and 370, but on the other hand it's always a good idea to buy something on the qualified vendor list.

QVLs are motherboard-specific, putting "X99" or "Z170" or whatever in the title doesn't mean poo poo. The only thing I'd really pay attention to is whether you're getting Samsung B-die for Ryzen (if that's something you are chasing). Anything on Intel should pretty much Just Work for the most part, with the exception that X99 motherboards usually don't support tremendously high speeds like Z-series boards do.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Okay, so, after spending probably too much time reviewing my options I've put together this parts list--it has no GPU on it because I managed to get a last-last-gen unit at a very low price and it should do me for a while (perhaps until prices come back down from the cryptobubble).

My total budget is supposed to be around $850, including the GPU, but if there are any red flags that need more expensive replacements then obviously I'd go for them.

Please let me know what you think!

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($202.11 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Case: RAIJINTEK - STYX MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.89 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $706.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-18 19:06 EST-0500

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

orcane posted:

It's a decent card for games in 1080p somewhere between a GTX 1050 Ti and a GTX 1060, closer to the latter. In a world without crypto miners, paying over $300 would buy you the faster 1060 but in this crazy time, it's a relatively normal price for it I guess. If you just need *a* video card, the GTX 1050 Ti 4GB is cheaper and not quite as overpriced (yet) at the same time. The RX 570 is almost 50% faster though, if you actually need the performance.

Yeah I’m trying to get as close to 150fps in the games I play so performance does matter to me. Thanks for the info I’m going to keep it and finally get my game on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Is there anything terribly wrong with the GTX 1050TI 4GB? I'm replacing at 750TI, and the most graphics intensive thing I do is some occasional gaming in 1920x1080. Stuff like Fallout 4. Probably ought to swap the PSU at the same time, it's coming up on four years old at 24/7 operation.

Edit : Here's the system as it stands.

Intel - Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock - H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung - 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Fractal Design - FD-CA-NODE-804-BL MicroATX Desktop Case
XFX - 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 19, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB is an efficient (both in power and price) card for 1080p gaming, although you'll have to reduce details in newer games. There's nothing wrong with it at all and the markup due to the cryptomining craze is very minor, compared to every other card that's faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

orcane posted:

The GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB is an efficient (both in power and price) card for 1080p gaming, although you'll have to reduce details in newer games. There's nothing wrong with it at all and the markup due to the cryptomining craze is very minor, compared to every other card that's faster.

Works for me, then. I'm generally 2-3 years behind the curve on games anyway so I don't expect to stress it too hard.