Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mycophobia posted:

I remember being in awe of Spirits Within when it came out but I don't really remember anything about it now. A good movie, still...?

Yeah, it's still got better 3D animation than contemporary billion dollar blockbusters and was way ahead of the "all live action morphing into CGI" curve, and it's got cool music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Shuffle or Boogie is such a great earworm of a song. I also really liked a lot of the rest of the Final Fantasy 8 soundtrack.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FF8 was peak Uematsu

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Castlevania 2 redacted hack takes it from a 5/10 game to an 8/10. I cannot imagine how the series continued if people first played it on Disk System where you have to change disks between towns and if you get knocked back into town well gently caress you, player.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

The Xbox One pad is probably the best feeling controller right now, and for 2d games it has the massive advantage of a switched dpad, which only the Switch joycons can compete with.

Yeah, I really like that D-pad. Nice and clicky. Honestly with its other faults (unreliable bumpers, bad stick drift) I still kept it around because you don't need those to play platformers, generally. Now the D-pad is being lovely and I can't even reliably crouch in Mario Land 2 and to move right I have to really press hard on it.

I'm actually surprised to hear that the DS4 is kind of lackluster. The best PC controller I ever had was a DualSock 2 connected with a $3 USB adapter. Loved that thing to death.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think FF8 gets alot of hate because it's mechanics were a radical departure from the usual FF experience, it really didn't feel like a FF game at times. The emo teen love story probably didn't help either.

For example? Leveling up in other FF games, your guys get stronger and learn new abilities. Level up in FF8? Does jack all and instead makes the monsters stronger like in a Bethesda game. Learning magic and abilities in other FF games? Either through leveling up, jobs, or slotted gems of some kind. In FF8 you have to suck the magic out of enemies using a very tedious process and it's what summons your guys are equipped with that determines their abilities. Getting new gear in other FF games? Usually bought or found. In FF8? Haha gently caress you go hunt down some rare and pain in the rear end to find crafting materials. Wanna earn money in other FF games, easy just kill some monsters. In FF8? Haha gently caress you again you have to wait for a paycheck and you gotta 100% a stupid test to get paid more. The game really hates level grinding in general, come to think of it, and don't even get me started on the card game....Of course once you understood FF8's oddball Junction system it was real easy to break the game over your knee.

I am so glad Square came to their senses and made FF9 more traditional in terms of gameplay. At least FF8's music was kickass and the modern setting was a neat departure, I guess. :shrug:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 27, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Just logged onto Steam for the first time in a while, and apparently the Secret of Mana remake will be getting a PC version. For those of us who don't buy consoles anymore, that's a welcome sight. e: (if the port doesn't suck)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637670/Secret_of_Mana/

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 27, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The remake just looks so unappealing to me. Give me 2D sprite graphics anyday over "modern" anime-style 3D.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The Secret of Mana remake really looks like it began as a Vita/mobile game and got bumped up to Vita/PS4/Steam.

I love that shot of them riding Flammie, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just give me Secret of Mana Collection on Switch, dammit. :negative:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kid Fenris posted:

The Secret of Mana remake really looks like it began as a Vita/mobile game and got bumped up to Vita/PS4/Steam.

It literally is that since its the same engine as the previous Vita/Mobile remake.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

TeaJay posted:

The remake just looks so unappealing to me. Give me 2D sprite graphics anyday over "modern" anime-style 3D.

I'd rather the only ok 3D vs whatever's going on with the Final Fantasy 5 and 6 they have on Steam.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

vkeios posted:

btw Ehrgeiz has a fun as hell roguelike mode.

It loving sucks dude, that game is garbage to look at or play

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Sand Dan posted:

I'd rather the only ok 3D vs whatever's going on with the Final Fantasy 5 and 6 they have on Steam.

I'm more worried about voice acting for every major line in Secret of Mana.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope they at least get someone like Brian Blessed to voice Santa Claus.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

Just buy another Xbone pad, try to get the most recent revision that comes in a white box since it did fix some of these issues and it has bluetooth support on Windows 10 if you don't already have the older wireless adapter. I honestly think the DS4 is a less quality and considerably less nice and comfortable controller than the Xbone pad, and for your uses has a worse dpad.

The 8bitdo FC30Pro is a good controller, but the joysticks aren't really suitable for playing anything for a long period, and I don't think the larger sticks on the SNES version are going to help a ton.

My biggest issue with the DS4 when it comes to retro gaming use: That touchpad and the buttons on its side are considerably more awkward then having nice and comfortable Start and Select replacements like you have on the Xbone or 360 controllers.

That arrangement the DS4 has does work very well for certain newer games, and also has the unintended benefit on PC that you can use it to make some very awkward "you need to use the mouse and keyboard with three hands at once" control layouts on some 90s games work out a lot better. (Prime example are many FPS-styled adventure games that also wanted you to use the mouse to move around onscreen menus and such during gameplay, using the keyboard entirely for moving your view around in the gameworld). But it's just not fun for a lot of retro games.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

GutBomb posted:

I got an NES Max today ... What a great controller.

:chloe:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

vkeios posted:

yeah, I should really give Mystic Quest the credit it deserves.

Its good at telling me my snes's cpu&ppu info.

The music is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZUO60kxlg

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Our X-bone controller that was purchased for PC gaming is dying. Finally. It' started out just fine but is a launch-age one so it's flimsy and unresponsive and the sticks drift and is generally a piece of poo poo that gets worse each day. Though I'm not sure if new ones are any better.

The XB1 controllers have had 4 subtle revisions, which you can tell apart externally if you know what to look for.

The first ones didn't have a proper 3.5mm audio jack on the bottom, as well as the bad bumpers like you said. It can be firmware updated for some tiny internal changes, but said fw update can only be done via USB cable. Can be done from a PC but only if it's using Windows 10.
The second ones had much better bumpers as well as a 3.5mm audio jack on the bottom, and can be fw updated wirelessly.
The third ones added actual Bluetooth support so you can pair one (and I think only one) to a Windows PC or other BT device. You can tell them apart from the 2nd gen controllers by the part of the controller surrounding the Xbox Logo button, which will be the same color and integrated with the body of the controller, whereas with the 2nd gen controllers it's always black and integrated with the top of the controller. Here's a pic of gen 1/2 (top) and 3/4 (bottom).

The fourth ones are the same as 3rd gen, but they have a bit of a more textured back for finger grippiness.

It's possible there are some other extremely subtle changes like them being made less prone to Wifi interference but there's a lot of hearsay about that.

The Elite Controllers I think are 2nd gen controllers without Bluetooth, I don't believe they ever made Elite controllers which support Bluetooth.

In all cases the mechanisms for the sticks apparently remain unchanged (made of plastic) including in the Elite controllers so it's believed that stick drift is always an eventual risk regardless of which generation/version you get.

Regardless of which generation you have you can use them on a Windows PC with a wireless adapter, and can have up to 8 controllers paired. No, I have no idea what games on PC support 8 players locally.

All of this being said, if you want a "retro"-friendly Xbox controller, Hori made an Xbox fightpad, but obviously you lose analog sticks.

univbee fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 27, 2017

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

Kid Fenris posted:

I'm more worried about voice acting for every major line in Secret of Mana.

lol. oh nooo

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

univbee posted:

Regardless of which generation you have you can use them on a Windows PC with a wireless adapter, and can have up to 8 controllers paired. No, I have no idea what games on PC support 8 players locally.

gang beasts my man

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

I like the graphical style, I'm a sucker for "low poly" and the Mega Man Legends anime textures. But because Square is doing one-for-one remakes you get scenes that look outright goofy like the fight with Spiky which looks like a huge courtyard on a tiny 4:3 screen but is comically small in 3D.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

univbee posted:

The Elite Controllers I think are 2nd gen controllers without Bluetooth, I don't believe they ever made Elite controllers which support Bluetooth.

That's correct and it pissed everyone off, of course.

Still, it's a great controller.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

helpful stuff

The Elite controller looks cool, but I'll probably go with just a newer standard controller considering what you said. My computer has Bluetooth.

What's up with that D-pad and those extra triggers underneath on the Elite anyway?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 28, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mak0rz posted:

The Elite controller looks cool, but I'll probably go with just a newer standard controller considering what you said. My computer has Bluetooth. What's up with that D-pad and those extra triggers underneath?

The d-pad can be switched out with a standard cross shaped d-pad. The triggers can be configured as a secondary input for the AXYB buttons. It's for MLG types so they can hit the face buttons without having to take their thumb off the left thumbstick because every second counts when your scoring :sicknasty: 360 noscopes for your dubstep infused kill reel.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wamdoodle posted:

The d-pad can be switched out with a standard cross shaped d-pad. The triggers can be configured as a secondary input for the AXYB buttons. It's for MLG types so they can hit the face buttons without having to take their thumb off the left thumbstick because every second counts when your scoring :sicknasty: 360 noscopes for your dubstep infused kill reel.

drat, that's actually pretty cool! Not really something I need though so I'll just get a standard.

What's the 1-2 switch in the center for?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

The Elite controller looks cool, but I'll probably go with just a newer standard controller considering what you said. My computer has Bluetooth.

What's up with that D-pad and those extra triggers underneath on the Elite anyway?

That's a thing you can swap onto the d-pad attachment point that is more suitable for how certain kinds of games use the d-pad for inputs. It's actually a raised bit in the center and then beveled bits on the side, you can kinda "roll" across it between inputs. Doesn't work for all games really, but that''s part of the point of why you can swap things around.

Those trigger paddles are meant to be used for remapping inputs from elsewhere on the controller to be more comfortable, if you want. One of the big things people do is they just use two paddles, one on each grip, and remap them to the button input from pressing down the left and right analog sticks - for some kinds of games that makes using L3/R3 commands a lot nicer.

Mak0rz posted:

What's the 1-2 switch in the center for?

Basically all the controls on the controller are remappable, including with the paddle triggers you add on. You can store 2 custom configurations at once if you say, have one set of maps that works good for FPS games and one that works good for others.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I never knew why that controller cost so much, and I thought that d-pad... thing was horrible. I never knew it could be swapped, and I never knew about the configurable paddles on the back, and now that controller is much more tempting...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
... I quoted the next guy, not edited my post but it put my quote here instead and gently caress writing that again. It's a good controller.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 28, 2017

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^^ Oooh, neat. That really does sound tempting.

If anyone enjoys Blades of Steel, pick up Super Blood Hockey on Steam. Holy poo poo it's amazing. It's a nice happy medium between Ice Hockey [different player "classes"] and Blades of Steel [violence, general hilarious-ness]. If there's Blades of Steel voice pack DLC at some point, I would buy it immediately.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Code Jockey posted:

^^^ Oooh, neat. That really does sound tempting.

If anyone enjoys Blades of Steel, pick up Super Blood Hockey on Steam. Holy poo poo it's amazing. It's a nice happy medium between Ice Hockey [different player "classes"] and Blades of Steel [violence, general hilarious-ness]. If there's Blades of Steel voice pack DLC at some point, I would buy it immediately.

Warning: the wireless receiver only works on windows and the protocol is encrypted so there's little hope of having it work on Linux or Mac. It works great wired on those platforms though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Code Jockey posted:

I never knew why that controller cost so much, and I thought that d-pad... thing was horrible. I never knew it could be swapped, and I never knew about the configurable paddles on the back, and now that controller is much more tempting...

I mean honestly I'd still say it's overpriced as it is, but if you could get it for say 80 or 90 bucks it wouldn't be a bad buy.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

al-azad posted:

The Castlevania 2 redacted hack takes it from a 5/10 game to an 8/10. I cannot imagine how the series continued if people first played it on Disk System where you have to change disks between towns and if you get knocked back into town well gently caress you, player.

Yeah, with the Redacted hack fixes, I actually would put it ahead of Zelda 2

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Gradius Gaiden is twenty years old today.

I would kill to have that ported to the PS4, but I might as well wish for things like stable employment and benefits as well since neither are going to happen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Star Man posted:

Gradius Gaiden is twenty years old today.

I would kill to have that ported to the PS4, but I might as well wish for things like stable employment and benefits as well since neither are going to happen.

Speaking of which, the Windjammers port is out on PS4 in a few days, my message to the developers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0jVU8UWp8

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

They did a beta for it and I heard it was not promising, unfortunately. Don't hold your breath.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mak0rz posted:

I'm actually surprised to hear that the DS4 is kind of lackluster. The best PC controller I ever had was a DualSock 2 connected with a $3 USB adapter. Loved that thing to death.

It...isn't? I use 3 DS4s with my PC and haven't had issues with any of them. You don't even need a wrapper for most modern games, like Fallout 4 has native support. Steam even has support in a similar way to it's Steam Controller.

I can't speak to people's personal preference in controller feel, but saying PS4 controllers are low quality and don't work well is 100% hyperbole.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

Twitch is doing a starcade marathon this week for the next 6 days

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My first DS4 broke but it was because I spilled beer all over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love my first revision DS4 and think it's way better than my 360 controllers (even the silver one with the improved dpad) but I still haven't so much as touched an xbone controller for comparison

• Locked thread