Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Corrode posted:

Those Nids are awesome and disgusting but I can't help but feel the standard wasn't that high. Half of those aren't even armies, let alone being based or on a display board or anything. I've never gotten involved in Armies on Parade, is it normally like this?

I do like the two Death Guard, the quartered Marines and whatever the red and black Marines with the FW characters are.

The quartered Marines really turned me off. A quartered pattern needs sharp dividing lines to look good, blending like that just makes them look blurry and sloppy no matter what angle they're at.

Those 'nids are awesome, though. The glue strings as goo is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Booley posted:

My store's Armies on Parade was last night with about 10 entries. Other than youngbloods/first army, some amazing tyranids took first in every category. I'll just link an album to avoid inlining a ton of photos:

https://imgur.com/a/eLNjT

My store only got 5 entries this year (and a grand total of 1 in the AoS AoP). Quality was fairly high but after getting something like 20~ last year it's a bit disappointing.

https://www.facebook.com/GWSouthShields/photos/pcb.1720260128008232/1720259958008249/?type=3&theater

At the very least, we didn't get any half-painted entries. Like seriously, if you're running behind just shelve it for next year.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

They've reboxed into a single Carnifex box and a brood of two. No idea on pricing yet.

Haven't they had a two set for a while? Or was that a limited thing

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Haven't they had a two set for a while? Or was that a limited thing

They brought out the two Carnifex box and got rid of the single Carnifex box around about 6th ed.

Don't think about it too hard.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

The quartered Marines really turned me off. A quartered pattern needs sharp dividing lines to look good, blending like that just makes them look blurry and sloppy no matter what angle they're at.

Idk, I really liked them and it went well with the snow effect.

SteelMentor posted:

My store only got 5 entries this year (and a grand total of 1 in the AoS AoP). Quality was fairly high but after getting something like 20~ last year it's a bit disappointing.

https://www.facebook.com/GWSouthShields/photos/pcb.1720260128008232/1720259958008249/?type=3&theater

At the very least, we didn't get any half-painted entries. Like seriously, if you're running behind just shelve it for next year.

I love that #5 here might as well have a sign saying gently caress YOU to the whole concept. Some quality stuff.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Those Nids are awesome and disgusting but I can't help but feel the standard wasn't that high. Half of those aren't even armies, let alone being based or on a display board or anything. I've never gotten involved in Armies on Parade, is it normally like this?

I do like the two Death Guard, the quartered Marines and whatever the red and black Marines with the FW characters are.

All the half painted armies (except the raven guard on their giant tower of halfassed foam) were from kids under 15. I can't really blame them for wanting to participate in an event the store's doing, even if their standard isn't very high. This is my first year doing it, so I don't know if that's typical or not.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
SInce people are talking about AOP, this was my stores yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/GWHeartlandTownCentre/posts/1544158988999641
Some impressive stuff was there.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

All the half painted armies (except the raven guard on their giant tower of halfassed foam) were from kids under 15. I can't really blame them for wanting to participate in an event the store's doing, even if their standard isn't very high. This is my first year doing it, so I don't know if that's typical or not.

Yeah that's fair enough. Kids getting excited about painting and wanting to participate can only be a good thing.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Sykic's too shy to post but his Eldar army won Best Painted at his local Armies on Parade! :golfclap:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanqol posted:

Two Onagers and some Kalestians with Wrath of Mars blew up a baneblade, my Knight dumpstered a Russ with its thermal cannon, and his other Russ got charged by a Dragoon (god bless that derpy chicken, it has never let me down), and I wiped one of his two heavy weapons squads with a Kalestian along with some sickening infantry casualties. That was the vast majority of his anti-tank right there and my list was mostly heavy stuff so I do not blame him for not wanting to play it out.

The invulns across the board for AdMech are fantastic. Kalestians are love because if you lose the first turn they're 1+/4++ sons of bitches - and since the Onagers can move and fire with no penalty I stack 'em up behind LOS blocking terrain so they can't be scratched by my enemy's opening volley. I'm honestly not sure what I'd do if I was a Guard player facing my army - I think putting some Bullgryns in a Valk and trying to tie up the robbits in melee might be my best bet. If any serious CQC gets into the artillery core it's lights out.

What weapons is your dragoon kitted with? I'm building one now and can't decide what to put on it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For a 5-man Reiver unit that probably will deepstrike, should I go bolt carbine or pistol/knife?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

For a 5-man Reiver unit that probably will deepstrike, should I go bolt carbine or pistol/knife?

Depends on what you plan to do with 'em after the Strike. If you're DSing 'em so they can get to rear area objectives, then Carbine. If you want 'em to try and charge rear area enemy big guns, then Pistol/Knife.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Wording query:

The 'two other' Scions makes me confused. Does that mean you need to have 5 models in the Unit (say, 4 and a Tempestor) before the 6th and 7th guy can take a Melta? As the maximum unit size is 10, that means you'd never be able to get more than two, and can never have a unit with 1 at say, 5 man. I mean, I don't think that's what's intended, but that's how it reads by including the word 'other'.

E: For clarity, I think you're supposed to be able to take 2 at 5 man, and 4 at 10 man, but I'm just saying that's not what it actually says.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Wording query:

The 'two other' Scions makes me confused. Does that mean you need to have 5 models in the Unit (say, 4 and a Tempestor) before the 6th and 7th guy can take a Melta? As the maximum unit size is 10, that means you'd never be able to get more than two, and can never have a unit with 1 at say, 5 man. I mean, I don't think that's what's intended, but that's how it reads by including the word 'other'.

E: For clarity, I think you're supposed to be able to take 2 at 5 man, and 4 at 10 man, but I'm just saying that's not what it actually says.
The "other" is referring to the potential guy with the vox caster so you can't give him a special weapon. It is absolutely 2 out of every 5.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What sorta weapons does the Chaos biker box come with?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

What sorta weapons does the Chaos biker box come with?

It doesn't.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Really? Just bolters? Or nothing at all?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

goose willis posted:

Just bolters.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Space-Marines-Bikers

quote:

This box is the most cost effective way to buy three multi-part plastic Chaos Bikes. The bikes can be armed with bolters, and there are bolt pistols with which to arm the Bikers. Also included is a Chaos Space Marine Transfer Sheet.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That's pretty lame, are they at least compatible with other sources of Chaos melta/plasma/whatever?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Safety Factor posted:

The "other" is referring to the potential guy with the vox caster so you can't give him a special weapon. It is absolutely 2 out of every 5.

Makes sense - As I said, I can see what the intent was, just... it's not what it says.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

That's pretty lame, are they at least compatible with other sources of Chaos melta/plasma/whatever?

Yes, they are.

Shockeh posted:

Makes sense - As I said, I can see what the intent was, just... it's not what it says.

Yes, it is.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It really isn't, because they used bullet points and closed the clause.
THEN opened a second one, which explicitly states something entrely separate on it's own, and as written, does not achieve the intent.

This isn't "i helped my uncle jack off a horse" territory, it's just plain English.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna be the guy stopping it in a game (Hell, I was checking because I intended to have 4 Meltas myself) I'm just calling out poor templating, that notably doesn't (a quick browse) occur in the same format in any of the other Guard or Marine units.

E: My only annoyance is 2 boxes of Scions doesn't leave you with enough parts to make a Tempestor Prime and a full 10 man squad. :v:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Phyresis posted:

Sykic's too shy to post but his Eldar army won Best Painted at his local Armies on Parade! :golfclap:

It turned out well for everyone, each entry won a category. It's just a pity they don't award the old medals anymore, I was hoping to complete the set eventually :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Shockeh posted:

E: My only annoyance is 2 boxes of Scions doesn't leave you with enough parts to make a Tempestor Prime and a full 10 man squad. :v:

I used two battalions to build 1 Prime, 1 Cmd Squad, 3 squads of Scions and then converted the plastic Commissar into a second Prime.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Booyah- posted:

What weapons is your dragoon kitted with? I'm building one now and can't decide what to put on it.

I have mostly seen these effectively used with the lance option. It makes them effective harassment units (your opponent will have to try and batter past the -1, sometimes -2 to hit, or the Dragoon will be charging his firepower units and at the very least stopping them from firing) and there's one stratagem which I think gives them +2 to hit? This makes them generate shitloads of exploding 6+s, giving them good damage.

Whereas the sniper option lacks reliable AP and loses effectiveness if the unit moves.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

I have mostly seen these effectively used with the lance option. It makes them effective harassment units (your opponent will have to try and batter past the -1, sometimes -2 to hit, or the Dragoon will be charging his firepower units and at the very least stopping them from firing) and there's one stratagem which I think gives them +2 to hit? This makes them generate shitloads of exploding 6+s, giving them good damage.

Whereas the sniper option lacks reliable AP and loses effectiveness if the unit moves.

Yeah taser is the winner.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Armies on Parade at my local GW was a mixed bag - mostly competent, ordinary-looking armies, and a couple of unfinished ragtag collections. And then there was this one - a vast and lovingly converted Green Brood of ork/genestealer hybrids:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
In an effort to have some ready for the codex dropping I’ve been working on Screamer Killers while watching the kids and doing chores. My son has declared a half-finished one spooky (his favorite word since he learned it for Halloween) and decided we must play hide and seek with it as well as give it hugs.

Tyranid are great babysitting friends! :3:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Alright, I have tweaked my Tau list after things I learned at the tournament yesterday. The changes can be summed up thusly: Dumping every single Markerlight Drone in a big pile and lighting them on fire, and then replacing their weight in points by filling the last Pathfinder Team to full, giving the Commanders Shield Drones, and adding another Cadre Fireblade because a 2+ Markerlight is always going to work more reliably than even two or three 5+ Markerlights.

The new roster below. What kind of feedback would you guys suggest for this one?

+++ Combined Arms (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [103 PL, 1993pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [33 PL, 592pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight
. For the Greater Good, Markerlights, Volley Fire

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight
. For the Greater Good, Markerlights, Volley Fire

Commander [7 PL, 141pts]: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Multi-tracker, 2x MV4 Shield Drone, Plasma rifle
. For the Greater Good, Manta Strike, Master of War

+ Troops +

Breacher Team [5 PL, 80pts]
. Bonding Knife Ritual, For the Greater Good
. 9x Fire Warrior
. . Pulse blaster
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol
. . Pulse blaster

Strike Team [5 PL, 80pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [5 PL, 80pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 127pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon
. Attached Drones (TX4 Piranha), Attached Drones (TY7 Devilfish), Explodes, Hover Tank, Turret Mounting

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [44 PL, 830pts] ++

+ HQ +

Longstrike [11 PL, 191pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Railgun
. Attached Drones (Longstrike's Gunship), Explodes, For the Greater Good, Hover Tank, Tank Ace

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [11 PL, 213pts]: 2x MV8 Missile Drone
. Bonding Knife Ritual, Drone Support, For the Greater Good
. Broadside Shas'ui: 2x Plasma rifle, Heavy rail rifle, Shield generator

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [26 PL, 571pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [8 PL, 160pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Multi-tracker, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Coldstar, For the Greater Good, Manta Strike, Master of War

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 137pts]
. Bonding Knife Ritual, Drone Support, For the Greater Good, Vanguard
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight
. . Markerlights
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
. . Markerlights
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 3x Rail rifle

. . Markerlights
. . Markerlights

. . Markerlights
. . Markerlights

Created with BattleScribe

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Galaspar posted:

Armies on Parade at my local GW was a mixed bag - mostly competent, ordinary-looking armies, and a couple of unfinished ragtag collections. And then there was this one - a vast and lovingly converted Green Brood of ork/genestealer hybrids:

Holy poo poo that's rad.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Galaspar posted:

:gowron: that is cool and good

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

overthefalls posted:

Finished my Blood Ravens just in time for my Nids to come back into play! Hooray!

Image bomb alert!

Army for tomorrow's 1250 tournament:
BLOOD RAVENS DETACHMENT [Ultramarines] - 1248pts, 6cp

HQ:
Captain in Gravis Armor (The Santic Halo): 137pts
Primaris Librarian: 105pts
Primaris Lieutenant (Power Sword): 74pts

Troops:
5 Intercessors, standard bolt rifle (Aux Grenade): 101pts
5 Intercessors, standard bolt rifle (Aux Grenade): 101pts
5 Scouts (4x Sniper Rifles, BoltPistol/Chainsword, 5x Camo Cloaks): 86pts

Elites:
3 Aggressors (Bolt Storm Gauntlets/Grenade Launchers): 129pts

Fast Attack:
3 Inceptors (Assault Bolters): 180pts

Heavy:
5 Hellblasters (regular): 165pts
5 Hellblasters (assault): 170pts

Warlord: Adept of the Codex
Librarian: Smite; Null Zone; Psychic Scourge

:potg:
Not even sorry for bringing back an old post.
My Ravens want to steal your whites, so nice and crisp.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Apparently there are two other hive fleets detailed in the Codex, but without rules. Possibly coming in the next warzone book that is rumored with the Blood Angels?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/11/40k-hive-fleet-tiamet-and-hive-fleet-ouroboris.html

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Booyah- posted:

Taser lance and nothing but a taser lance. It makes the thing stupid cheap at 68 points, its 10' move speed can get it where it needs to go, and even if it doesn't hit combat people are so irrationally fixated on the terrifying threat your dumb 68 point chicken walker presents that they will fire all their AT at it despite its -1 to hit smoke cloud. With T6, 6 wounds a 3+/6++ with Shroudpsalm that little fucker will absorb hundreds of points of shooting that is now not going into your Actually Important artillery line.

I almost feel like giving it a phosphora would reduce its effectiveness, because if the other guy stops to think about the fact that it's only plinking away with one shot per turn it might not be such a terrifying threat after all. You want the Dragoon mysterious and scary and bullet magnetish - don't let this thing get into close combat, woooooOooOo!

Plus if you can stack like, 3-6 of them in a unit and back them up with Conqueror Protocol the extra hits on the lance will proc on a 4+. A full squad of 6 Dragoons with Conquerer can statistically kill a Knight in a single charge. They're easily the best unit in the codex IMO.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

:perfect:

All that time shouting Skulls for the Skull Throne, little did the World Eaters know that one day it would come true

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Galaspar posted:

The post worth a thousand army lists. Thanks for sharing!

Any idea how to get/find more photos of this army?

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

BuffaloChicken posted:

The post worth a thousand army lists. Thanks for sharing!

Any idea how to get/find more photos of this army?

There's a few more on the Games Workshop: Peterborough facebook page. I met the creator, he was justly proud.

EDIT: For those who don't use Facebook, I'd be happy to post the rest.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Fought a biel tan army with by crimson fists

He had a warlock, farseer, 3 small dire avenger squads, a big guardian squad, howling banshees in a wave serpent, dark reapers, swooping hawks, striking scorpions, warp spiders, fire dragons, avatar, and a flyer with lances. Says he's going to buy another warlock and make a brigade.

I go first. Knock his flyer down to 3 wounds with lascannons, and shoot up his DAs a bit. Spiders, hawks, scorpions, and dragons are deep striking.

He deep strikes warp spiders and swooping hawks behind me and almost wipes my devastators in some ruins. I lose 4 hellblasters in cover to massed shuriken and dark reaper fire.

I drop my inceptors in cover near pedro and bolter fire them, they wipe his swooping hawks. I have my tac squad come out of the rhino and between them, an intercessor squad, and my razorback kill 8 warp spiders with shooting and finish the others in melee. I keep picking away at dire avengers and guardians, his reapers are back as far as they can to avoid most of my shooting. Surviving hellblasters put 4 wounds on the avatar. I finish his flyer and put a few wounds on the serpent.

His guardians wipe out one remaining hellblaster squad, he puts doom on the other and the howling banshees pile out of the transport and come flying about 20 inches, wiping the other hellblaster squad before the avatar got to fight them. He has protect on his guardians and charges them at my apothecary to tie him and take an objective up but over the next 4 turns my apothecary kills them all with teeth of terra.

Turn 3 I finish off his dire avengers, contemptor kills a warlock, pedro and an lt charges and kills avatar, my inceptors gun down the banshees.

His turn 3 the rest of his stuff drops. Scorpions finish my devastators, fire dragons kill the contemptor. Wave serpent comes over and kills pedro with his shooting plus serpent shield.

Turn 4 I drop his wave serpent, fire dragons get killed by a smite plus intercessors and flamers. He guns down the tac marines and intercessors with dark reapers in response but he calls it bottom of 4 with us at 8 -2. I had my lt, librarian, 2 inceptors, apothecary, 5 intercessors, dreadnought, and razorback left. He had 10ish striking scorpions, 6ish dark reapers, and a farseer.