Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

had some great news today to cheer us all up - MI6 and turkish intelligence asset oz katerji has apparently hit the skids and is now writing clickbait for the loving daily mail lmao funny how this paragon of compassion for refugees has done a 180 now the spook and gulf state funding is drying up, too bad syria won the war pal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Apraxin posted:

Sounds like exactly the kind of IRA terrorist that Jeremy Corbyn would support!

(yes I know she was actually with the ICA, don’t @ me)

As an aside the choice to garrison in st Stephens green was extremely bizarre as it was overlooked on all sides by buildings which where subsequent occupied by the forces repelling the rising who used them as machine gun nests.

Also fighting was stopped daily to allow the ducks to be fed

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

gh0stpinballa posted:

had some great news today to cheer us all up - MI6 and turkish intelligence asset oz katerji has apparently hit the skids and is now writing clickbait for the loving daily mail lmao funny how this paragon of compassion for refugees has done a 180 now the spook and gulf state funding is drying up, too bad syria won the war pal!

Assad, not Syria

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this thread becomes an unreadable shitshow every time theres one of your run of the mill general election terror attacks
ukmt really is the most sensitive thread in dnd :rolleyes:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

kustomkarkommando posted:

As an aside the choice to garrison in st Stephens green was extremely bizarre as it was overlooked on all sides by buildings which where subsequent occupied by the forces repelling the rising who used them as machine gun nests.

Also fighting was stopped daily to allow the ducks to be fed

I wouldn't want to have to deal with a hungry goose

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

gently caress you all for making this thread unreadable poo poo for the last 10 pages

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

gh0stpinballa posted:

https://twitter.com/KitKlarenberg/status/1200463899574906880?s=20

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

gently caress you all for making this thread unreadable poo poo for the last 10 pages

But the thread is 400 pages long :confused:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

gh0stpinballa posted:

actually, he was, but got fired

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
2 members of the public dead.

The public who went in on the offender need medals.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

willie_dee posted:

Someone trying to kill someone, not just knife crime...
Mate, you waded in here to defend shooting a guy who'd been disarmed and restrained and you've got previous for "cops should hit muggers with cars" so don't try pivoting to "actually I only support reasonable force" like we're all mugs with ten second memories.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oh my god lmao i have died and gone to heaven

https://twitter.com/KitKlarenberg/status/1200463899574906880?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

What's the effective radius of the average homemade bomb vest? If the civilians involved were a decent distance away (and rapidly retreating further) surely the immediate threat was diffused? Police could have then kept a wide perimiter and started talking instead of going straight for the head shot. Maybe, idk.

A hand grenade is almost guaranteed lethal at 5 metres, has a very high probability of killing out as far 20, and fragments are still at potentially-lethal speeds as far away as 200. Obviously that's considerably smaller charge than an IED but that's a baseline for how far out people would need to be. Realistically you'd need to ensure that there's no bystanders within at least 200 metres with line-of-sight, and that's going to take several minutes at best (and anyone who's ever done any kind of crowd control knows just how far from "at best" it inevitably is).

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

willie_dee posted:

That’s a very different discussion and I am in full agreement that disproportionately hurting someone is wrong.

Okay cool. My personal view is that it is acceptable to use lethal force if it is necessary to protect people's lives. But I don't think it's necessary as often as the police seem to. What about the fact that police officers never get any real punishment for unnecessary killings they perpetrate? What about the fact that the police invariably argue that any killings they perform were justified, going so far as to lie about the victims and even plant evidence? My view of this is that it's wise to maintain a healthy skepticism about what the police say, because they lie to protect each other constantly. Be skeptical, and have independent investigations that the police can't lean on. If they are being honest, they will be vindicated. But if they are lying, they should be immediately suspended and a criminal investigation should proceed. In fact, I approve of immediate suspension from duty on suspicion, because having just killed someone they could probably use some time off and some mental health support. And also just in case they are a danger. That's what the investigation should determine.

At the moment we have a system that closes ranks whenever a cop gets in trouble, regardless of whether they did something wrong. Witnesses are intimidated, the press stridently blares support for the police and demonises the victims, and the justice process is perverted by whatever means the police have available to them, which is a lot. I think it's impossible for a cop to have a fair hearing in these kinds of circumstances. And sadly for the public, the result is that no cop is ever properly punished, so there is little incentive for them to improve their conduct. Why do minorities hate the police? Because they know all this, and they know they are disproportionately the victims.

I don't think the current system is good for anyone, even the police.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Someone find that Napoli ultras "oh no" tifo, I feel like it's particularly relevant here

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
For example, if there was any confidence that police officers would face consequences for misuse of force, this discussion would be easier

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Pilchenstein posted:

Mate, you waded in here to defend shooting a guy who'd been disarmed and restrained and you've got previous for "cops should hit muggers with cars" so don't try pivoting to "actually I only support reasonable force" like we're all mugs with ten second memories.

He had an s vest on and had just stabbed 2 people to death, and people are saying he had more then 1 knife. Shooting him was reasonable.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

willie_dee posted:

2 members of the public dead.

The public who went in on the offender need medals.

They do, I honestly hope I'd do the same in that situation but in truth I'd probably run the gently caress away because im a coward.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

unwantedplatypus posted:

For example, if there was any confidence that police officers would face consequences for misuse of force, this discussion would be easier

It's exactly this, along with any other situation where people in positions of power misuse or abuse that power. The coverup ultimately always causes more damage to the institution than the offence itself.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

willie_dee posted:

He had an s vest on and had just stabbed 2 people to death, and people are saying he had more then 1 knife. Shooting him was reasonable.
And you didn't know any of that at the time, the initial reports were "man with knife was subdued and restrained by the public, then cops turned up and shot him". So give it a rest you oval office.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

They do, I honestly hope I'd do the same in that situation but in truth I'd probably run the gently caress away because im a coward.

I’ve been roiding and doing MMA for years now, don’t sweat it, no one knows how they would react, I’m not 100% sure I’d have a go as much as I hope and think I would. No one would think you a coward for doing what is recommenced, which is run, hide, tell I think.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

And you didn't know any of that at the time, the initial reports were "man with knife was subdued and restrained by the public, then cops turned up and shot him". So give it a rest you oval office.

Do you think he was just lightly stabbing people before? his intent was the same even if he hadn't murdered people successfully

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Do yous really suppose there would be no terrorism if we lived in a more equal and just world?

You could still have scenarios where people commit acts of terrorism out of greed. The beardy bloke in Die Hard type situation.

And then you have the (mercifully small) proportion of a human population who get a jolly out of, well, terrorising people just for the thrill of it.

crispix fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 29, 2019

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Problem is you and a few others started celebrating the execution long before there was any confirmation of a suicide vest.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Sorry you don’t have a brain and couldn’t work out that we had a serious incident occurring from what was presented.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

crispix posted:

Do yous really suppose there would be no terrorism if we lived in a more equal and just world?

You could still have scenarios where people commit acts of terrorism out of greed. The beardy bloke in Die Hard type situation.

Why are people greedy?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

you were arguing that a straight-up explode button is more likely than a dead man's switch so the police were right to shoot

I don't think we've actually had a situation yet where the police have been in a position to shoot a bomber with an armed bomb so we can't know. The police forensics probably know but it isn't something that'll be released. My more likely was just based on it being more hassle to deal with in the sense of it being difficult to run around stabbing people whilst making sure a button is held down.

Julio Cruz posted:

but as can be seen from the last few attacks a fake bomb vest is more likely than a real one

Are they though?

2005 London - Real (4)
2005 London - Real (5)
2017 Manchester - Real (1)
2017 London Bridge - Fake (1)
Parson Green - Real (1)
2019 London Bridge - Fake (1)

The only two fake vests that I can find are the one from the 2017 London Bridge attack and this one today that is far from confirmed. Looking at those numbers I'm not sure assumption of the vest being real is wrong.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Lads just want to say condolences on those whom were killed and to any hurt in today's attack.

Though I'm a heinous poo poo poster, I might as well say I work directly in mental health and I really feel for you all.

I have seen the effect the madness of the last few years is having on people here in Ireland and have heard from friends in the UK. So I can't begin to imagine what it múst be like for you all.

I hope your all well and ok , mind yourselves and mind your mental health. Take it easy this weekend and look after yourselves, be wary of drugs and alcohol and connect with the people you care are find support with.

Genuinely feel for you all and I hope your all ok.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

TheRat posted:

Problem is you and a few others started celebrating the execution long before there was any confirmation of a suicide vest.

Celebrated? gently caress off.

I literally posted it was sad that he had been made a martyr and death was sad.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

willie_dee posted:

you are doing better. good for you! although if you focused more on the general impact on the working public you might get more effect

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
hey wasn't 2017 the other one right before the general election?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

willie_dee posted:

Celebrated? gently caress off.

I literally posted it was sad that he had been made a martyr and death was sad.

gently caress, you're off track again

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

unwantedplatypus posted:

yep

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

There was a major incident that lead to suspension of the campaign at least. Might have been the Manchester bombing?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why are people greedy?

Because of satan's influence in this realm, op.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TTerrible posted:

Are they though?

2005 London - Real (4)
2005 London - Real (5)
2017 Manchester - Real (1)
2017 London Bridge - Fake (1)
Parson Green - Real (1)
2019 London Bridge - Fake (1)

The only two fake vests that I can find are the one from the 2017 London Bridge attack and this one today that is far from confirmed. Looking at those numbers I'm not sure assumption of the vest being real is wrong.
2005 London - Real backpacks/carryon bags(4)
2005 London - Real backpacks (5)
2017 Manchester - Real backpack (1)
2017 London Bridge - Fake vest (1)
2017 Parson Green - Real lovely bomb using a plastic bucket as a pressure vessel (1)
2019 London Bridge - Fake vest (1)

That's probably some precedent that people use fake explosive vests more than real ones, and real explosive backpacks more than fake ones.

crispix posted:

Because of satan's influence in this realm, op.
Mammon surely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also in terms of attacks where someone goes around stabbing people I'm not sure they've ever had a bomb as backup, if they've got bombs they seem to just, y'know, bomb people.

Like if your objective is to kill people and you've got a bomb you probably don't start waving a knife around in an open space and getting everyone to run away from you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 29, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

willie_dee posted:

Sorry you don’t have a brain and couldn’t work out that we had a serious incident occurring from what was presented.
Shut the gently caress up you tiresome fash oval office. It's loving sickening how excited you are at the loss of life here, both the perpetrator and the victims.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Also in terms of attacks where someone goes around stabbing people I'm not sure they've ever had a bomb as backup, if they've got bombs they seem to just, y'know, bomb people.

We aren’t dealing with people who are thinking straight. I don’t think attempting to predict their behaviour is worth doing to any degree of certainty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Shut the gently caress up you tiresome fash oval office. It's loving sickening how excited you are at the loss of life here, both the perpetrator and the victims.

Excited at the loss of life? You absurd cretin.