Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/9-11/51

Archie 6/7-9/48

"Race-track plaid" was a gaudy fabric associated with the sort of degenerate gamblers who hung around race tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

:five:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Archie going hard as hell here.

Edit: Quote isn't Edit but these both deserve a double post.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Pro tip: US Marines generally don't like to be called "soldiers", as traditionally the term refers to the Army. Still, they know the word has a broader meaning outside the service, so they generally won't be too offended when a civilian uses it. (Unless they're looking for a reason to pick a fight.)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Pregnancy Comics

WHITE

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
How does and insectivore manage to go several years without realizing it's an insectivore.

Also: A rabbit, who is cosplaying as a mouse and married to a wolf, has a skunk for a daughter.

gently caress you Holbrook.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Pro tip: US Marines generally don't like to be called "soldiers", as traditionally the term refers to the Army. Still, they know the word has a broader meaning outside the service, so they generally won't be too offended when a civilian uses it. (Unless they're looking for a reason to pick a fight.)

the proper specific nomenclature is "crayon eater"

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Hippocrass posted:

How does and insectivore manage to go several years without realizing it's an insectivore.

Also: A rabbit, who is cosplaying as a mouse and married to a wolf, has a skunk for a daughter.

Still gets me that Lindesfarne flies by holding onto whatshisface's wingtip, instead of any of the nearly infinite number of places that might theoretically actually work. Really abusing the static nature of the cartoon medium there buddy!!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (September 22-25, 2003)

From Allison's intro to this story, with spoilers added:

John Allison posted:

This was a tricky story to work on. Every time I thought I had tricked the readers, someone would guess what I was about to do, so I changed the story again. In the end I settled Natalie's fate on the toss of a coin, which may seem brutal, probably because it was.

The Natalie story was also another outing for Ryan Beckwith, a man whose grip on the rudiments of life is both slack in ill-informed. Living in depressing squalor well into his middle twenties, he is perhaps the most vulnerable character in Scary Go Round.

Naturally with a story of this type, it is hard to keep your chin up through-out the creative process. After nine weeks I was drinking six bottles of gin a day and had to stop. Fortunately for you (the reader), it finishes some thirty pages later!

This is not to say that your adventures with the gamine and delightful Natalie won't be full of philosophical French fun. Au contraire.

Do you see what I did there?

Also in more Breaking Cat News, Georgia went with her kids to see the Taylor Swift Eras Tour:

Georgia Dunn posted:

I took the kids to the Taylor Swift Eras concert movie last night, and we had a blast! I told them to wear whatever makes them happiest and the Girl showed up in a Halloween squirrel costume.; If you went to the Regal Cinema in Everett, WA and ended up with any of these bracelets, it was nice to meet you! If you love Taylor Swift and have a chance to go, GO! We danced in the aisles, sang our hearts out, and traded friendship bracelets for three hours. SO fun!

and in more important news, kibble spill!

"Georgia Dunn posted:

We’re getting reports of a kibble spill in the kitchen this morning! I may have thought the Tupperware container could hold more than it can… 😅🧡 Thankfully I found five volunteers to lend a paw! What a helpful crew! 🤣

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Pregnancy Comics

This is such a terrible thing to say considering how Rudy has Domestication and it's treated as a disability/stand-in for being queer.

gently caress you, Lindesfarne.

Hippocrass posted:

The comic loves to pin all the blame on Angelique, but this specific thing was entirely Kevin's fault. Angelique wanted them to adopt a herbivore, but Kevin's the one who picked an insectivore from the orphanage. Kevin left the matter of feeding the insectivore baby to someone who had no experience hunting. When Angelique let out how much the difficulty of hunting insects was stressing her out, Kevin doesn't step up to help and their solution was to raise Lindesfarne as a plant-eater. Even when Angelique left them, Kevin still didn't think to tell his daughter he lied to her and she's actually an insectivore.

Hippocrass posted:

IIRC, the father of the skunks was the guy Angelique left Kevin for, and who has never appeared onscreen. RL just adopting them and not seeing them as meals puts him above a lot of the lovely parents in this comic.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

This is such a terrible thing to say considering how Rudy has Domestication and it's treated as a disability/stand-in for being queer.

gently caress you, Lindesfarne.

This is actually making light of Rudy’s Dystracksia, which makes it hard for him to follow prey properly. Totally different than his Domestication, but still a kinda lovely thing to say! :eng101:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

amigolupus posted:

The comic loves to pin all the blame on Angelique, but this specific thing was entirely Kevin's fault. Angelique wanted them to adopt a herbivore, but Kevin's the one who picked an insectivore from the orphanage. Kevin left the matter of feeding the insectivore baby to someone who had no experience hunting. When Angelique let out how much the difficulty of hunting insects was stressing her out, Kevin doesn't step up to help and their solution was to raise Lindesfarne as a plant-eater. Even when Angelique left them, Kevin still didn't think to tell his daughter he lied to her and she's actually an insectivore.

quote:

She was adopted by Kevin and Angelique Kindle as a baby and emigrated and naturalized to the United States. Angelique refused to feed her bugs, so she changed Lindesfarne to a vegetarian diet and had her reclassified as a porcupine.

quote:

Although traditionally classified in the now abandoned order Insectivora, hedgehogs are omnivorous. They feed on insects, snails, frogs and toads, snakes, bird eggs, carrion, mushrooms, grass roots, berries, melons and watermelons.[5]
Jesus loving Christ Holbrook!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

The author of a comic about 'Animal has trait' can't even get the loving traits of animals right!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I would really enjoy forgetting Holbrook and his comics exist, tbh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

As absolutely on target as you are about the commercialized world's mercenary nature when it comes to the weakest targets, it's an interesting direction to take a "moms' night out sharing of experiences" strip.
Well, like I said, it really applies more to stuff like Curtis but the Sally Forth strip happened to be the thing that got me thinking about it.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 15, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

... What's a belly band here?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zereth posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haramaki_(clothing)

Not totally aware of the cultural associations, but I think they're kind of talismanic in Japan?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics
I'm always shocked at how tiny they manage to make the print in the actual classifieds in this paper. Some at the same zoom level as the comics, for reference:

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

A maternity belt. It's to support and redistribute the weight of pregnancy.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 11, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ah, my favourite book: Arts & Sciences.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Ah, my favourite book: Arts & Sciences.

The Big Book About Everything

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Tendales posted:

A maternity belt. It's to support and redistribute the weight of pregnancy.
This, yeah. A quick google search suggested that "belly band" was an accepted term for them. (One of the challenges I'm facing with the "very detailed walkthrough of late pregnancy and childbirth" prologue here is that I only have first-hand experience with pregnancy and childbirth here in Japan, so I only have a non-child-haver's knowledge of English-language terms for all the gribbly details. Plus my daughter was born by C-section so there's a whole bunch of other stuff I only have passing knowledge of.)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Retail

Get Fuzzy 10/14/03

Brenda Starr 11/18/51

Smokey Stover 5/26/57

Everyday Movies 11/12/36

"Here's a recipe for chicken livers creole that sounds good, Mopey."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/17/42

Bonus Ad! Drink the Kool-Aid, enjoy being in jail!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (October 17, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Thimble Theater (May 19, 1940)

Popeye

Skippy's Own Book of Comics

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 15, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

$1365 in 1933 is $32,317.85 today.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
jesus christ, Billy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "322 - Jucika's Lifebelt"

:laffo:

"323 - Jucika And Television" NSFW Topless

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Took me forever to spot the O2.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Sluggo is going to actually kill this poor boy

davidspackage
May 16, 2007