Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MeKeV posted:

Does it need to go back?

Note that the N300s are 7200RPM drives. Reds are 5900. So yeah, you should expect to see higher temps and probably more noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I have an old ReadyNAS NV+ that still runs ok but I'm using their proprietary X-RAID format and i'd like to wean myself off that. besides being old and slow (usb2 only, has 1gbit ethernet) it's also running on some SPARC chip. basically i'm quite surprised how much support netgear has given it, but i'm ready to get off it.

tried reading this thread but it goes too fast, saw nothing really in the first page intros but i'm looking to decide what case i should get...

it's for home use; i have an old am3 cpu that will probably be fast enough for my needs, but i'll probably need to find an am3 mini-itx... looking ideally at 6hds but will go for 4hds.

the first couple of pages don't really mention cases but are there small cases that are designed for just hard drives? i have a corsair obsidian 250d running as my main computer and that seems as big as i'd like the case to be. i saw some cases now that stacked the harddrive 4 high horizontally but left a whole bunch of space on the sides which isn't what i'd want. ideally looking for something that will take up less space by lining the hard drives vertically. i remember lian-li had some crazy case where most of the space could be occupied by a hard drive.

obviously a normal cpu/motherboard will take up space so i guess i'm looking for something that will fit as many as 4 hard drives into as tiny of a space as possible while still being able to install a cpu/mini-itx mobo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Is there a more recent guide to setting up a NAS in 2017? I appreciate the OP but I hope things have gotten better since 2012

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

I have an old ReadyNAS NV+ that still runs ok but I'm using their proprietary X-RAID format and i'd like to wean myself off that. besides being old and slow (usb2 only, has 1gbit ethernet) it's also running on some SPARC chip. basically i'm quite surprised how much support netgear has given it, but i'm ready to get off it.

tried reading this thread but it goes too fast, saw nothing really in the first page intros but i'm looking to decide what case i should get...

it's for home use; i have an old am3 cpu that will probably be fast enough for my needs, but i'll probably need to find an am3 mini-itx... looking ideally at 6hds but will go for 4hds.

the first couple of pages don't really mention cases but are there small cases that are designed for just hard drives? i have a corsair obsidian 250d running as my main computer and that seems as big as i'd like the case to be. i saw some cases now that stacked the harddrive 4 high horizontally but left a whole bunch of space on the sides which isn't what i'd want. ideally looking for something that will take up less space by lining the hard drives vertically. i remember lian-li had some crazy case where most of the space could be occupied by a hard drive.

obviously a normal cpu/motherboard will take up space so i guess i'm looking for something that will fit as many as 4 hard drives into as tiny of a space as possible while still being able to install a cpu/mini-itx mobo

silverstone ds380

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Generic Monk posted:

silverstone ds380

I wish there were a mATX version of that case. Would be perfect for my in-cupboard homelab. I think I'm gonna go with a Thermaltake v21.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea, I'm hoping to get specifically only the SRP miniport driver work on top of the newest card drivers though, by installing its INF via device manager. I'm not entirely sure how this SRP stuff works, sounds like the cards will expose a virtual memory-based device of a certain kind, if there's something announced by the subnet manager, for which you'll install the SRP driver. So I'm hoping the old poo poo will work with the new poo poo.

As far as the Open Fabric Alliance isn't maintaining the drivers, I'm not sure. The latest release is from somewhen in 2013. The latest release of their NVMe stuff is dated December 2016.

--edit: Nevermind: winOFED 3.2 is the last winOFED release due to lack of hardware vendor participation.

The SRP driver will expose a LUN to the operating system. I used the Windows subnet manager because Open Indiana did not have one. Linux has one though, so you should probably use that. You can use LIO (http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/LIO) to export the LUNS and afterwards you can just refresh diskmanagement and it should see the drives.

It is pretty easy once you get the terminology.

There are some handy utilities included with the drivers like IBPing which make it easy to troubleshoot the fabric. The Subnet Manager is the most critical part, no SM no fabric.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Opinions about bcachefs? Sounds too good to be true, BTRFS also kind of fizzled out.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

silverstone ds380

If you fill one of them out, you tend to get heat/airflow issues unless you leave bays empty. You might as well go for a Fractal Design Node 804 mini atx which does everything the Silverstone does but better.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
My opinion on bcachefs is that it's still too early to use for anything you depend on. Long term, sure, maybe it can be the "ZFS with BPR" that BTRFS wanted to be, and it's certainly saying it wants to do the opposite of BTRFS (prioritize stability over half-implemented unmaintained features), but it looks like it's still primarily one guy's passion project. I certainly do want a "ZFS with BPR" but it'll take years of dedicated effort to make a second ZFS tier file system.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Tornhelm posted:

If you fill one of them out, you tend to get heat/airflow issues unless you leave bays empty. You might as well go for a Fractal Design Node 804 mini atx which does everything the Silverstone does but better.

yeah just read some reviews that seems to say that.. does anyone actually have experience with the ds380 chasis (is the ds380b an update?).

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anyone have a recommendation for a NAS I can set up a partition to act as a time machine and back up a macbook to? looks like diskstations support that, I only need 1 or 2 bay, is the DS216+II the best choice here?

baram. fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 17, 2017

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

baram. posted:

anyone have a recommendation for a NAS I can set up a partition to act as a time machine and back up a macbook to? looks like diskstations support that, I only need 1 or 2 bay, is the DS216+II the best choice here?

If you don't want to go the NAS device route, FreeNAS will do Time Machine without an issue.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Amazon is having a Prime Members only sale on HGST 6TB NAS drives for $190.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tornhelm posted:

I recall someone mentioning that, if you put a piece of cardboard to direct the air from the side-fans over the harddisks, it doesn't have any issues with heat. Someone on the internet has taken an image of the cardboards position super-imposed:

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of people who're building in this case are using 7200RPM drives which run hotter than 5400RPM drives. In addition, with 3 Noctua fans and the PSU inverted so it pulls air from inside the case, you can get it whisper-quiet while managing quite nice temperatures.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 17, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

it's not quite as cool as the silverstone though (this is clearly the main objective with mission-critical data obv)

baram. posted:

pretty much any NAS will do time machine at this point. apple is ejector-seating out of the router/backup device business and now has no qualms over supporting time machine over SMB, which is what pretty much any NAS will use by default for sharing. a synology will be able to do SMB or the older AFP (called 'mac file service' in their ui afaik) no problem.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 17, 2017

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

pretty much any NAS will do time machine at this point. apple is ejector-seating out of the router/backup device business and now has no qualms over supporting time machine over SMB, which is what pretty much any NAS will use by default for sharing. a synology will be able to do SMB or the older AFP (called 'mac file service' in their ui afaik) no problem.

I have an Ubuntu machine with an SMB share and cannot figure out how to get any of the three macs running Sierra to see it in Time Machine preferences. Apple's only statement on TM over SMB has been "yeah we now support TM over SMB" with absolutely zero supporting info. Googling it only turns up pre-Sierra info on doing it over AFP.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to step into the at home NAS device arena, I don't mind an appliance to do it ( and would prefer it be an appliance ) though do any appliances allow for a small linux system to run on top of it ( say for some minor metrics gathering, say cacti ) If this pushes me firmly into the realm of a small form factor headless system I'd pass. It would also have to support some sort of apple backup, though from reading the last few pages it seems like this is a non issue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Twlight posted:

I'm looking to step into the at home NAS device arena, I don't mind an appliance to do it ( and would prefer it be an appliance ) though do any appliances allow for a small linux system to run on top of it ( say for some minor metrics gathering, say cacti ) If this pushes me firmly into the realm of a small form factor headless system I'd pass. It would also have to support some sort of apple backup, though from reading the last few pages it seems like this is a non issue.

Most appliance NASes have some capability to install apps that would likely meet your criteria. I haven't worked with cacti before, but Synology has a Syslog server built-in which I think cacti can query - https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/LogCenter/logcenter_desc

And again, not to mention the other apps you can install. A purpose-built Linux box obviously has more flexibility, but you could probably do what you need with an appliance.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Most appliance NASes have some capability to install apps that would likely meet your criteria. I haven't worked with cacti before, but Synology has a Syslog server built-in which I think cacti can query - https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/LogCenter/logcenter_desc

And again, not to mention the other apps you can install. A purpose-built Linux box obviously has more flexibility, but you could probably do what you need with an appliance.

This is perfect, exactly what I needed thank you.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Twlight posted:

If this pushes me firmly into the realm of a small form factor headless system I'd pass.

What? You don't want to janitor a custom overkill whitebox lunix machine in your spare time?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

What? You don't want to janitor a custom overkill whitebox lunix machine in your spare time?

:frogout:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

SamDabbers posted:

loving embarrassment, that guy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

redeyes posted:

In case anyone cares the Hitachi 4TB 7200RPM NAS drives are on sale on Amazon. Best price i've seen so far:
https://www.amazon.com/HGST-Deskstar-128MB-Cache-Internal/dp/B01N7YOH4P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500051854&sr=8-1&keywords=4tb+hitachi

$135.00

Buy off B&H Photo and pay 129$, along with no taxes & free two day shipping

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 17, 2017

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

loving embarrassment, that guy.

haha I do enough of that poo poo at work I don't need it at all when I come home

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twlight posted:

haha I do enough of that poo poo at work I don't need it at all when I come home
That's never stopped anyone in this thread before.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't post in this thread often, but I am generally in agreement. I play with enough tech at work that I don't want to go home and deal with something that requires work to configure or keep running. There were definitely times when I was younger when I enjoyed doing that, but these days I generally want a more seemless/polished experience if I have to deal with it at home.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Buy off B&H Photo and pay 129$, along with no taxes & free two day shipping

ooo too late for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Meh, got my Infiniband cards today, but the guy put an SFP+ cable with the order instead of QSFP, so I have to wait two more days. :( But hey, I netted a free 5m SFP+ cable out of it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Erwin posted:

I have an Ubuntu machine with an SMB share and cannot figure out how to get any of the three macs running Sierra to see it in Time Machine preferences. Apple's only statement on TM over SMB has been "yeah we now support TM over SMB" with absolutely zero supporting info. Googling it only turns up pre-Sierra info on doing it over AFP.

yeah i'm still running an afp share since apple's documentation and the reams of confused forum posts doesn't exactly inspire confidence

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Don't you have to create a sparse bundle on the share to get it to work?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

I play with enough tech at work that I don't want to go home and deal with something that requires work to configure or keep running. There were definitely times when I was younger when I enjoyed doing that, but these days I generally want a more seemless/polished experience if I have to deal with it at home.

I agree in concept, but not to the point where I'm willing to pay $800 for $200 worth of hardware and a nice UI.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I don't post in this thread often, but I am generally in agreement. I play with enough tech at work that I don't want to go home and deal with something that requires work to configure or keep running. There were definitely times when I was younger when I enjoyed doing that, but these days I generally want a more seemless/polished experience if I have to deal with it at home.

:golfclap:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'll gladly pay a premium just to be able set it and forget it, and not have the anxiety of fixing poo poo or dicking around with more configuration than is necessary

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

At home I get to work with the tech I enjoy working with instead of what is chosen by committee.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

OSU_Matthew posted:

:golfclap:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'll gladly pay a premium just to be able set it and forget it, and not have the anxiety of fixing poo poo or dicking around with more configuration than is necessary

A thousand times this.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

My experience with cacti was a thousand times worse than rolling my own zfs setup which was basically downloading the repo information as a package, installing the zfs kernel module package, adding the disks, and never looking at it again, which can be cut down to 2 commands if you use ubuntu that already has zfsonlinux in their repos

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
On the flip side, FreeNAS is stupid easy to setup and use, and pre-built Dell, et al, SOHO servers are cheap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hifi posted:

My experience with cacti was a thousand times worse than rolling my own zfs setup which was basically downloading the repo information as a package, installing the zfs kernel module package, adding the disks, and never looking at it again, which can be cut down to 2 commands if you use ubuntu that already has zfsonlinux in their repos

Something is confusing me about this post.

Cacti is not interchangeable with zfs.

Cacti is a system monitoring/graphing tool. (An antiquated one at that). ZFS is a filesystem.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Something is confusing me about this post.

Cacti is not interchangeable with zfs.

Cacti is a system monitoring/graphing tool. (An antiquated one at that). ZFS is a filesystem.

The original post guy said he wanted a linux system on top of his nas as well as monitoring via cacti

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Reposting this question here:

I have four drives on my computer. Both personal and work related. However almost all the data on it is something I would definitletly like to preserve. I have a total of ~5 TB of storage all together and I was hoping to find a good reliable service to back up all of that data. I don't want to pick and choose what to backup I just want to have it automatically and perhaps nightly back up everything I've done. There are a ton of services out there that appear to do this already but I don't know which one to trust and which one has a good track record.

Any suggestions?

(To clarify I mean cloud backup)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hifi posted:

The original post guy said he wanted a linux system on top of his nas as well as monitoring via cacti

Oh, I see what you were saying now. I was days behind on my SA bookmarks and only skimmed stuff. Turns out that, as usual, I'm the dummy.