Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Quad posted:

After the initial grocery store scenes, when she goes home, it happens on-screen; her father is drunk and angry, dances with her, tries to do things, and the way the scene is played out it's obvious that this is not the first time.

Whoops I thought that was her boyfriend/guy she was shacking up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Snak posted:

yeah, that's all true, my point is that it's not really increasing biomass at all. "Making Clones/Duplicates" kind of implies that it would be able to, and I was just trying to be clear that its method of replication more or less conserves biomass.

Agreed, I wasn't trying to correct you or anything, just piggybacking on what you said. Blair's simulation backs you up, as it takes in a cell and replaces it completely, rather than making a mirror image of it with the original cell still surviving. It's not a copying machine, it's more like it's overwriting the cells it takes over.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we're all in agreement :)

Just pedantically clarifying, because *nerd*

Heigen
Mar 10, 2017
Watched god drat Serpico yesterday, but did the cops back in the day really smoke weed on duty to know "how it feels, smells and tastes like"?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Heigen posted:

Watched god drat Serpico yesterday, but did the cops back in the day really smoke weed on duty to know "how it feels, smells and tastes like"?

Probably. Before drug testing, everyone did drugs back in the 70s.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Heigen posted:

Cops do drugs on duty now dude

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No that is not possible, cops cannot succumb to peer pressure

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cops always be robo-tripping, in hopes that one day they'll become Robocop.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A month ago there was a question about examples of diegetic music in movies. I watched Gold with Matthew McConaughey yesterday and it had an interesting example that reminded me of that discussion.

The music is The Isley Brothers' "Spill The Wine". It fades in as a non-diegetic song during a scene that takes place outdoors. Then the scene changes to a bar and the song continues playing as the main character narrates. When he stops narrating it suddenly becomes a diegetic song, sounding like it is being played over the bar's speakers. Then there's a scene change to the inside of a car, where the song is playing on the radio. It doesn't fade out, the song is cut off during the next scene change.

The transitions of the song between the scenes are so seamless that it is obviously entirely a product of post-production, but it was a pretty neat thing that stood out to me.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

The music is The Isley Brothers' "Spill The Wine".

I was about to correct you, and say that it was Eric Burdon and War, but then I looked it up and I think I might actually prefer the Isley Brothers cover.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo question: why the gently caress did James Bond end up blowing her off at the end of the movie to hang out with The First Lady of the United States? Honestly, she was way more badass and saved his life.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Loopoo posted:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo question: why the gently caress did James Bond end up blowing her off at the end of the movie to hang out with The First Lady of the United States? Honestly, she was way more badass and saved his life.

He's a writer. Usually means infidelity that skews towards poo poo women.

So I have a cinema question, as in, is there a term for this?

I'm talking about like in Silence of the Lambs, where you jump between two settings: on one hand you have a fugitive of the police, chilling in his house. Meanwhile you have shots of the cops surrounding -a house- getting ready to make the bust. Maybe the fugitive acts like something is 'off'. At the climax, the cops kick the door in and oops, wrong house!

Anticlimactic seems lacking to describe this since it's actually pretty good. I just saw this in the show Narcos and my roommate and I had to think hard to recall that it was Silence of the Lambs that does this too. Also, the indefatigable cinematic masterpiece, Speed. Any others?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea that type of scene is almost expected in certain films. It's only lacking because it's been used a lot now. In Silence it was mindblowing.

I don't think we ever figured out a name for it, but it was brought up before:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=2871728&perpage=40&pagenumber=331#post448430731

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Misdirection via montage?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

This is the kinda thing TVTropes shoulda thought up a name for but I just skimmed their Speed article & there's nothing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

got any sevens posted:

Misdirection via montage?

Yeah that makes sense

The TVT name would probably be like NotTheSameHouse

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
drat! I was hoping for some cool term in the vein of deus ex machina or bildungsroman or whatever. Guess I'll get drunk and watch Speed!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

- Pop quiz hotshot: Whatta you call that thing in the movies with the cross cutting and the suspense???
- I don't give a poo poo. I'm gonna get hosed up & watch the movie
- gently caress you're right *image of disappointed dennis hopper*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trompe-l'œil + composition + continuité = TRUMP componuity?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Poor people are crazy Jack, I'm eccentric.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

Trompe-l'œil + composition + continuité = TRUMP componuity?

Reminds me of the pixies album trompe le monde. Means trick the world. Good word in any language, very descriptive.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

Reminds me of the pixies album trompe le monde. Means trick the world. Good word in any language, very descriptive.

you can almost smell the salt

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

syscall girl posted:

I'm sending, a letter, ahhhhhhhhhh, send it straight to you

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Peetown Manning posted:

Poor people are crazy Jack, I'm eccentric.

Legendary line. Hopper was so good in that movie

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

got any sevens posted:

Legendary line. Hopper was so good in that movie

You have Joss Whedon to thank for that line.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PriorMarcus posted:

You have Joss Whedon to thank for that line.

I wonder what made him turn terrible, not enough oversight?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

got any sevens posted:

I wonder what made him turn terrible, not enough oversight?

i wanna say familiarity

his style is exactly the same all through

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Just watched Speed last night and want to confirm with you all that it remains absolutely buckwild and basically perfect to this day.

Also some of the music was ripped off pretty much wholesale in MGS3 so great minds or whatever

eLGee
Feb 14, 2006

I got the worst fucking attorneys.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Just watched Speed last night and want to confirm with you all that it remains absolutely buckwild and basically perfect to this day.

Too bad the sequel didn't live up to the first movie's expectations. What a train wreck that poo poo was.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

eLGee posted:

Too bad the sequel didn't live up to the first movie's expectations. What a train wreck that poo poo was.

No dude it was a boat

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mousepractice posted:

No dude it was a boat

Under Siege was a boat. Under Siege 2 was a trainwreck.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

SiKboy posted:

Under Siege was a boat. Under Siege 2 was a trainwreck.

Under Siege 2 was a trainwreck, Speed 2 was Willem Dafoe

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 10, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Under Siege 2 was a trainwreck, Speed 2 was Willem Dafoe

Boondock Saints was Willem Dafoe. Boondock Saints 2 was strained dreck.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Boondock Saints was Willem Dafoe. Boondock Saints 2 was strained dreck.

:golfclap:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So I'm trying to find the name of an actor and I can't remember what movies I've seen him in. He's one of those "hey, it's that guy!" actors. He usually plays a cop or soldier, clean cut or a bit of stubble, short hair, looks kinda like Patrick Swayze, has a very strong/square jaw. I think he'd be in his late 40's or early 50's now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ego-bot posted:

So I'm trying to find the name of an actor and I can't remember what movies I've seen him in. He's one of those "hey, it's that guy!" actors. He usually plays a cop or soldier, clean cut or a bit of stubble, short hair, looks kinda like Patrick Swayze, has a very strong/square jaw. I think he'd be in his late 40's or early 50's now.
That's, uh, not a whole lot to go on. Thomas Jane? Brian Thompson?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Probably in his 40s or 50s now... What age was he in most of his roles? Is he an 80s action movie guy, or...?

Oh man I guess it's 2017, so someone who was 40 now would have been 10 in the 80s....

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

david_a posted:

That's, uh, not a whole lot to go on. Thomas Jane? Brian Thompson?

Brian Thompson maybe looks like Swayze in full Hellboy prosthesis

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Maybe Chance Kelly?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0446257/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Brian Thompson maybe looks like Swayze in full Hellboy prosthesis
Yeah, but his jaw is strong enough to count as two matches, so it evens out. Most of the other stuff lines up.